Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Paul MaudDib posted:

5G IOT is going to push the costs of integrating and activating a 5G modem right on the TV for telemetry and maybe advertising down into literally the single-digit dollars, so it really won't matter for too much longer whether you plug it in or not

(also, they can make deals with comcast/spectrum/etc to use the wifi hotspots nearby if you or any of your neighbors use the company-provided router-modem)

most people will plug it into the network, but it's getting cheaper and easier to send back telemetry even they don't

You still have to agree to some stupid EULA for the data collection to kick in. My LG is plugged in but I’ve never agreed to the terms for the “smart” TV stuff so the only thing it can do is download firmware updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
On the one hand, I hate my TV sending my data to other places. On the other hand, I login to Google and use YouTube, and the Smart TV functions are so loving easy to use and useful where I just need the TV remote to watch things instead of having to gently caress around with a media PC or anything.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have a TCL but use an AppleTV instead of the Roku OS. One nice thing, at least on the TCL sets, is that if you don't want to give the TV internet access you can decline to connect it to the network and also set a default HDMI port to switch to so every time you wake up the set it just goes straight to whatever input you want, you never have to interact with the Roku stuff at all.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If tv tattles on my watching backdoor nun sluts 7 thats cool imo

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Coredump posted:

All this talk about the Shield Pro and I went to look for one and they're discontinued sad face.

It's called the Shield TV Pro now, and it's very much alive. The Shield Pro was an older model, and if you can find a used one it will still work well. Sorry for the confusion; the important thing is that you don't buy the one that looks like a tube.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

It's called the Shield TV Pro now, and it's very much alive. The Shield Pro was an older model, and if you can find a used one it will still work well. Sorry for the confusion; the important thing is that you don't buy the one that looks like a tube.

Yeah and a new one just came out. So its recently been refreshed.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Thanatosian posted:

Quarantine has me doing experimental stuff, highly recommend doing chicken bakes in the toaster oven. Previously, I'd discovered the magic of defrosting them in the refrigerator overnight before microwaving them, but toaster oven makes a nice, crispy crust.
Heh. look at this loon that hasn't discovered AirFryer chicken bakes.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Oh you're right. They appear to be out of stock at places at the moment.

Speaking of Costco TV chat back in 2018 I got a Vizio P series Quantum and the built-in streaming apps are pretty drat decent I have to say.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Xaris posted:

Can you explain what you did exactly? I don't really want to upgrade my TV and Soundbar just 2.1/eARC though (unless it's somehow retroactive?, i dont know much about these things)

I'm interested in this Shield thing, is that basically a replacement for the Roku OS in a a way that plugs into an HDMI port and then runs everything through that like a console?

Ended up just buying a new receiver. Never found a way to get things right using optical out or arc.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Woah, so you can buy one of these Shield TV Pros and plug an external hard drive enclosure into it and it'll replace my Plex server?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Can you mix a fancy sound bar with a receiver? I bought the $600 LG one at Costco to match my TV and it’s complete rear end for mode switching and latency with ARC.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

CitizenKain posted:

Ended up just buying a new receiver. Never found a way to get things right using optical out or arc.

What one did you buy?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Soundbars...not even once. Unless it’s for like a bedroom or really small space and even then powered speakers or something like an audioengine B2 is way preferable.

Hell even a 2.0 stereo with amp/receiver. Small good, aesthetically pleasing speakers are super super cheap these days. There’s neat vintage options too.

Absolutely nobody needs to buy a sound bar even the best ones are still junky junk

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
what about a subwoofer

right where my ero zone is

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Xaris posted:

What one did you buy?

I got a Onkyo 777 refurb that was cheap. Seems like most receivers are pretty similar, The Wirecutter likes a Denon, and Costco carries a Yamaha that seems good. I like having Airplay, it’s handy to pump phone audio to it when doing dishes.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

Woah, so you can buy one of these Shield TV Pros and plug an external hard drive enclosure into it and it'll replace my Plex server?

I'm curious about this as well.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yes you can do that

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Went to the co today and I think my favorite pandemic thing is the food that is clearly packaged for sale to the commercial chain that Costco slapped a price tag in and said 'yeah we'll sell that, why not'

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Went to the co today and I think my favorite pandemic thing is the food that is clearly packaged for sale to the commercial chain that Costco slapped a price tag in and said 'yeah we'll sell that, why not'

Any interesting finds?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I picked up some Kirkland signature tequila añejo. It's not bad. It's very smooth. Smoother than The Rock's tequila. Not prepared to say it's better, but it's smoother.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

Yes, there's a number of people in the Plex thread who do this very thing!

The Shield is a great player/server for Plex.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Just bought a Macbook Pro from Costco for $50 off, 90-day return policy and free 4 year warranty. :c00l:

Thanks Costco!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

I picked up some Kirkland signature tequila añejo. It's not bad. It's very smooth. Smoother than The Rock's tequila. Not prepared to say it's better, but it's smoother.

I've been saying the añejo is good for years. It does change occasionally, but I've never had a bad bottle.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Costco is not a play ground!

https://i.imgur.com/rrl8Ic7.mp4

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

FCKGW posted:

Just bought a Macbook Pro from Costco for $50 off, 90-day return policy and free 4 year warranty. :c00l:

Thanks Costco!

Costco has 3 out of the 4 devices I am considering for my portable device: 13" MBP, 13" surface book 3, 12.9" ipad Pro! Just need them to carry 2020 dell xps 13" (they do have the older one on the .ca site) and then I'll have a hell of a time deciding between the four!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

Costco has 3 out of the 4 devices I am considering for my portable device: 13" MBP, 13" surface book 3, 12.9" ipad Pro! Just need them to carry 2020 dell xps 13" (they do have the older one on the .ca site) and then I'll have a hell of a time deciding between the four!

No X1 carbon?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

shovelbum posted:

No X1 carbon?

Also a tempting option! But not on Costco.ca either.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
If I were to get a TV soon, I'm looking at this Vizio P659. It has great reviews and has all of the features I need... which isn't much at all. I just want enough HDMI ports and a nice app program. I'd prefer another USB port but whatever. I know nothing of the interfaces you can buy now but if I don't like the TV apps then I can just buy whatever good interface there is out there.

I currently have a Vizio and I've been really pleased with them. My first HD TV in maybe 2007-2008 was also a Vizio and I liked that one too. Also they can actually ship this one to me which is a plus, you know, since I can actually buy it here.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 13, 2020

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Honestly I'm waiting for Vizio's OLED lineup. Maybe not this generation but next year after they iron out whatever issues are bound to pop up

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Woah, strange that I’m suddenly in the market for an AV receiver and my favorite thread on the forums starts talking about AV receivers! :tinfoil:

Anyway, I know Costco changed its return policy regarding electronics to make it more restrictive - does that only apply to TVs and computers? They have the receiver I like, and I’ll skip buying any warranty if I know I can just return it to Costco if it breaks down, even if it happens 3 or 4 years from now.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Yes, there's a number of people in the Plex thread who do this very thing!

The Shield is a great player/server for Plex.

Hell yeah, it has Plex Server installed out of the box. Hook one up to a USB 3.0 external hard drive and you're in business.

I'm gonna shut the gently caress up about this now, I just couldn't be happier with mine.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

If I were to get a TV soon, I'm looking at this Vizio P659. It has great reviews and has all of the features I need... which isn't much at all. I just want enough HDMI ports and a nice app program. I'd prefer another USB port but whatever. I know nothing of the interfaces you can buy now but if I don't like the TV apps then I can just buy whatever good interface there is out there.

I currently have a Vizio and I've been really pleased with them. My first HD TV in maybe 2007-2008 was also a Vizio and I liked that one too. Also they can actually ship this one to me which is a plus, you know, since I can actually buy it here.

This is contrary to wildly anecdotal things I've heard about Vizio's reputation, but that's good to know. I'll be in the market for a new TV soon, and the last time that was the case the big thing was 1080p so I don't know what the gently caress. I was planning on a TCL though.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

This is contrary to wildly anecdotal things I've heard about Vizio's reputation, but that's good to know. I'll be in the market for a new TV soon, and the last time that was the case the big thing was 1080p so I don't know what the gently caress. I was planning on a TCL though.

Vizio got sold to some Chinese company in 2016 so it's entirely possible they've gotten shittier since then

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ok Comboomer posted:

Soundbars...not even once. Unless it’s for like a bedroom or really small space and even then powered speakers or something like an audioengine B2 is way preferable.

Hell even a 2.0 stereo with amp/receiver. Small good, aesthetically pleasing speakers are super super cheap these days. There’s neat vintage options too.

Absolutely nobody needs to buy a sound bar even the best ones are still junky junk

Sound bars are fine for living rooms and bedrooms, everyone should have a separate dedicated 7.2.4 home theater anyway.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm perfectly happy with my soundbar. I don't need satellite speaks all around my living room and a subwoofer that shakes the house.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

yes you do

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

astral posted:

Any interesting finds?

"Seasoned chicken strip breast meat"

It was 1/4"x2" strips of chicken in minimal packaging with no branding

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Hmm. I never looked at it that way before.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm perfectly happy with my soundbar. I don't need satellite speaks all around my living room and a subwoofer that shakes the house.

If it isn't strong enough to shake tooth fillings loose it isn't powerful enough.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Has anyone bought the Novaform 14” memory foam mattress? Saw it’s on sale right now and the wife and I are looking for a king bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

JK Fresco posted:

Vizio got sold to some Chinese company in 2016 so it's entirely possible they've gotten shittier since then

Or better.