Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Uthor posted:

I think if you long press on the prediction, you can remove it from the dictionary. That may stop it. Dunno for sure.

Yeah that works. Very cool, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I've been grandfathered into Google Play Music's $7.99/mo rate for as long as I can remember. Well, for some reason this month I got charged $8.53 instead. Hardly the worst economic crisis of our times, but I'm just curious, has anyone else experienced this? I'll probably submit an inquiry or whatever, but who knows where this will fall on their priorities.

turtleface
May 28, 2003

I'm helping

Sir Lemming posted:

I've been grandfathered into Google Play Music's $7.99/mo rate for as long as I can remember. Well, for some reason this month I got charged $8.53 instead. Hardly the worst economic crisis of our times, but I'm just curious, has anyone else experienced this? I'll probably submit an inquiry or whatever, but who knows where this will fall on their priorities.

At some point in the last few months they started adding a tax charge for me, so maybe that? Should show up on your order receipt.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

turtleface posted:

At some point in the last few months they started adding a tax charge for me, so maybe that? Should show up on your order receipt.

Oh duh, I knew there was some kind of receipt somewhere but couldn't find it. Was looking in the app settings and the Play store. Finally found it in the email that I ignore every month because the subject line starts with "backup payment method charged" (I use Play credit if I have enough). And it does look like tax is the difference. Thanks.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
X-Posted from the general Android thread:

Lately if I get a Google Hangouts message from somebody and it is just a picture, the quick notification and the pull-down notification says it's from 'you'. Literally the word you.

Only seems to happen if the message is JUST a picture, no text. Happens if the sender is a Hangouts user OR regular MMS (happened from a user who sent a pic from iPhone, and a couple friends who use Hangouts.)

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
That started happening to me today as well with Hangouts.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I, too, am getting You Hangouts.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
You scrubs should have turned off auto-updates for Hangouts when they started removing features. I'm over here still enjoying custom notifications for different contacts. :c00l:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

What weather app, or perhaps more importantly, what weather API, have all you DarkSky users migrated to? The feature from DarkSky I care most about is the "Drizzle starting in 18 minutes, stopping 25 minutes later" notification and secondly an hour-by-hour precipitation view.

From reviews and stuff I've looked at:
  • AccuWeather which is simply weird. It's got various views for the next 2 hours of weather, none of them very intuitive. It can give me severe weather alerts, but not for where you are, only for pre-defined locations (wtf?). It can't do precipitation notifications (the only thing I really want). I find this app bizarre.
  • Today Weather which I feel like most people sort of gravitated to after the DarkSky announcement. It's got a host of data providers. I don't think it looks great but I seem to be in the minority there. I feel like I have to really go looking in order to piece together an hour by hour idea of what the day is going to bring instead of there just being a view for it. It looks like it has a rain alert notification but it's behind Premium. I worry after the Forecast.io API goes away there won't be any provider that will give a good rain alert even if an app promises it but Today has a ton of providers so if one does, it'd at least be here, if only I knew which to pick. I can't say I like this app much.
  • Overdrop seems okay. For free I can only try out WeatherBit as a provider (AccuWeather is paid) and wasn't able to tell me I was in the middle of a thunderstorm and it told me there was a 10% chance of rain vs. DarkSky saying there was 93% chance. I guess WeatherBit sucks? I don't like how the hourly graph is either temperature or rain instead of both.

I've tried some others but I wasn't sold on any of them. I don't have enough survey bucks to go pro on everything so I'm willing to rely on advice, particularly about the which provider API people have had luck with specifically around the precipitation start/stop times.

Ones on my shortlist to try out are ones with their own data sources like Foreca and WUnderground but again any and all advice is welcome.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

LastInLine posted:

[*]Today Weather which I feel like most people sort of gravitated to after the DarkSky announcement. It's got a host of data providers. I don't think it looks great but I seem to be in the minority there. I feel like I have to really go looking in order to piece together an hour by hour idea of what the day is going to bring instead of there just being a view for it.

It has an entire Hourly section 1/4 of the way down the page, and a dedicated widget just for the hourly forecast :confused:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

What weather app, or perhaps more importantly, what weather API, have all you DarkSky users migrated to? The feature from DarkSky I care most about is the "Drizzle starting in 18 minutes, stopping 25 minutes later" notification and secondly an hour-by-hour precipitation view.

I'm currently using Appy Weather. It currently uses Dark Sky's API, so it's got that going for you (although I've found them not terribly accurate for near-term precipitation prediction, for me).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

It has an entire Hourly section 1/4 of the way down the page, and a dedicated widget just for the hourly forecast :confused:

Yeah but I don't like it. :colbert:

Instead of being in chart form where you can see the chance of rain and the temperature throughout the day at a glance it's just a table with numbers that I have to read and then interpret. The difference between, say, DarkSky's listing of the temps/% in a list but farther right as the numbers increase so you can tell immediately where the peak areas are in the day versus Today's just a list of numbers where I have to form the model mentally. That's what I meant when I said I have to piece it together rather than it just being there.

hooah posted:

I'm currently using Appy Weather. It currently uses Dark Sky's API, so it's got that going for you (although I've found them not terribly accurate for near-term precipitation prediction, for me).

I looked at that but the problem there is that it's just using DarkSky's data and they haven't been forthcoming about where they're going when that turns off. As far as I can tell, there aren't a lot of APIs out there that gives the same kinds of data Forecast.io does so these apps built around DarkSky's features don't really have a very viable path moving forward.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 3, 2020

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've been using hello weather and have realised dark skys minute to minute forecasts were making me care waay too much about the weather

It does the job, I've stopped caring so much

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

I've been using hello weather and have realised dark skys minute to minute forecasts were making me care waay too much about the weather

It does the job, I've stopped caring so much

All the features I wanted with none of the cruft and hourly charts are extremely glanceable! This will do nicely, thanks. It uses DarkSky so I guess I'll see how good it is when they have to drop it in favor of AccuWeather but I'm going to pay for the rain notification anyway so this gives me time to compare side by side.

Edit: After paying I found out the rain alerts come from DarkSky no matter what you choose for the source. I'm guessing no other weather API offers them, which, if I'm going to lose them I might as well just use Google Weather.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 5, 2020

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Edit: After paying I found out the rain alerts come from DarkSky no matter what you choose for the source. I'm guessing no other weather API offers them, which, if I'm going to lose them I might as well just use Google Weather.

They can use the Dark Sky API until the end of 2021 so they have time. They've posted on twitter a couple of times that they're trying out other weather sources. Hopefully something will come through to replace in a year and a half.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

beerinator posted:

They can use the Dark Sky API until the end of 2021 so they have time. They've posted on twitter a couple of times that they're trying out other weather sources. Hopefully something will come through to replace in a year and a half.

That's good news. If anyone is looking for a nice clean weather app that uses DarkSky API and don't mind that it will ostensibly be useless in 2 years once the API collapses (or hopefully updated) then check out Forecaster.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Pvt. Parts posted:

That's good news. If anyone is looking for a nice clean weather app that uses DarkSky API and don't mind that it will ostensibly be useless in 2 years once the API collapses (or hopefully updated) then check out Forecaster.

This would be great if it had an ongoing notification for current conditions like most other weather apps do. As it is, it's just pretty good.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

hooah posted:

This would be great if it had an ongoing notification for current conditions like most other weather apps do. As it is, it's just pretty good.

Eh, for my use case I think the widget covers that well enough. I guess it's location-dependent but where I live I don't need to know the weather on a moment to moment basis most of the time.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
So I reluctantly made the transition from Wunderlist to Microsoft To-do and something about it really annoys me and I'm wondering if it happens to anyone else here (or if there's a way to correct it). It's unfortunately too generic of a Google search to find anything about it.

I typically set reminders to go along with my tasks, so that I get a notification to remind me. For example, I will make a reminder in ToDo that says "get taxes done" or something. I'll set the reminder and, when I used Wunderlist, I would have the reminder staring at me in my notifications until I get it done.

This worked fine in Wunderlist but for some reason it looks like Microsoft ToDo "wipes" itself away from my notifications? So if I set a reminder for later today to "get taxes done", it will be in my notifications, but tomorrow when I wake up, it's gone.

I like it being there so I am more likely to remember to get it done. I'm guessing it's wiping it at midnight the day after the reminder was set. What if I'm working nights and want that notification to still be there at 3 in the morning? Why does it remove the notification at all? Is there any way to tell To-Do to stop doing that?

edit: went a bit deeper with Googling; looks like a lot of people are complaining about this (for quite some time now) and Microsoft has never fixed it:

https://todo.uservoice.com/forums/597175-feature-suggestions/suggestions/37805497-do-not-remove-task-from-notification-bar-on-androi
https://todo.uservoice.com/forums/597175-feature-suggestions/suggestions/18999073-persistent-reminder-notifications-on-lock-screen
https://todo.uservoice.com/forums/597175-feature-suggestions/suggestions/35643118-for-tasks-in-my-day-that-are-not-completed-by-the

No one seems to have figured out a fix so I am hoping someone here has. If not I am going to have to find another reminder/to-do app which sucks because I am pretty sure none of them are going to be able to import from Wunderlist.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 9, 2020

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

DrBouvenstein posted:

X-Posted from the general Android thread:

Lately if I get a Google Hangouts message from somebody and it is just a picture, the quick notification and the pull-down notification says it's from 'you'. Literally the word you.

Only seems to happen if the message is JUST a picture, no text. Happens if the sender is a Hangouts user OR regular MMS (happened from a user who sent a pic from iPhone, and a couple friends who use Hangouts.)

Anyone know of a fix for this or if there's a bug report somewhere?

I have tried to google this endlessly, but it's not an easily search-able problem.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

WTF? Google seems to be using their whole rear end with something? Someone bored in quarantine?

https://www.engadget.com/youtube-music-google-play-music-library-transfer-150022835.html

quote:

To start the process off, you’ll obviously need to have YouTube Music on your Android or iOS device. If you haven’t downloaded the app yet, Google Play Music will alert you to the new transition tool and prompt you to install YouTube Music. Inside the app you’ll find a banner alerting you to the option to port your entire Google Play Music library over, and just a few taps from there will get it started.

I’m impressed with the depth of detail Google put into this process. You can port over every song and album in your library, as well as any playlists you’ve created. Any songs you bought through Google Play or anything you uploaded from your own music library will be ported over, as well. It’ll also bring over “many” of the curated stations Play Music offered, as most of those have been recreated on YouTube Music as playlists.

All the details on what songs you’ve given a thumbs-up or thumbs-down will be ported over, too. That data will be used to curate recommendations for you on the YouTube Music home screen. In fact, all of your Google Play Music history that built the recommendations for you on that one service will also make it to YouTube Music. If you’ve been using both services, YouTube Music will use recency to decide what’s most important — so whatever you’ve been playing lately or giving thumbs up to most recently will be the main recommendation drivers.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

bull3964 posted:

WTF? Google seems to be using their whole rear end with something? Someone bored in quarantine?

https://www.engadget.com/youtube-music-google-play-music-library-transfer-150022835.html

This is still rolling out to people, so you might not be able to transfer your music yet.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I haven't used YT Music since they first tried to roll it out does it still suck rear end or is it worth it to try and do this once it rolls out to me? I'm perfectly content with GPM but i get that YT Music is the future so if i need to onboard myself I will.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The app is better but still not great.

However, now that they are actually rolling out the transfer tool for this stuff, you can bet that the real retirement of GPM probably isn't too far behind so now is probably the best time you can to get into it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Main thing I'm missing in YT music is all the play lists and radio stations from GP music. You can search for them by name (well, some of them) but there's no way of browsing

Good to see that pointless hotlist thing is being replaced with actual playlists etc

e: oh its gone live already and yep that's perfect, it was the only reason I was ever dipping back into GPM

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 12, 2020

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

bull3964 posted:

The app is better but still not great.

However, now that they are actually rolling out the transfer tool for this stuff, you can bet that the real retirement of GPM probably isn't too far behind so now is probably the best time you can to get into it.

As long as my discount and youtube premium stay, time to face the inevitable.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I hate it because it shares account state with regular YouTube on the web, and anything that's treated as a video on YT music pollutes your regular YouTube watch history.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Has there been a better way to stream audio from your phone to your PC? I used to be able to click on the Cast button on my phone and have it start streaming on Microsoft Connect via Miracast, but it can't do it anymore. I can have the phone see my PC and it will be added to the devices in the application, but now my phone just crashes and reboots.

It's a rooted Pixel 3 xl on build QP1A. It used to be nice to be able to continue listening to my podcasts on my PC so it would keep track of the progress.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Buff Hardback posted:

I hate it because it shares account state with regular YouTube on the web, and anything that's treated as a video on YT music pollutes your regular YouTube watch history.

I left my YouTube account logged in on my parents' TV, so my watch and search histories are already polluted by hours of Polish Catholic masses every day. Bring it, I say!

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
From the article on Android Police it seems like Google are rolling out a fix to the watch history issue.

I haven't tried uploading anything to YT yet, so I don't know how the library is going to be shown, but I fear that my favorite feature will be missing: Browse albums by genre.
A couple of years ago, I ripped and tagged all my CDs, and uploaded them to GPM, which I still use every day. I browse through the genres (depending on my mood) and queue up a few albums.
Sometimes it Modern Classical, sometimes it's Future Jazz or Dub Techno, Krautrock, Shoegaze or Minimal House. The point is, I'm gonna miss that feature.

On the plus side, YTM doubled the number of tracks you can upload, so it's now 100,000.

I also haven't seen anything mentioned yet about buying music from the Play store (lol, who does that hahaha) and getting that transferred, when GPM closes down.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Buff Hardback posted:

Scrolling through my YouTube history the only music videos on there are stuff I've watched in YouTube proper so it looks like it got fixed

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Fart of Presto posted:

From the article on Android Police it seems like Google are rolling out a fix to the watch history issue.

I haven't tried uploading anything to YT yet, so I don't know how the library is going to be shown, but I fear that my favorite feature will be missing: Browse albums by genre.
A couple of years ago, I ripped and tagged all my CDs, and uploaded them to GPM, which I still use every day. I browse through the genres (depending on my mood) and queue up a few albums.
Sometimes it Modern Classical, sometimes it's Future Jazz or Dub Techno, Krautrock, Shoegaze or Minimal House. The point is, I'm gonna miss that feature.

On the plus side, YTM doubled the number of tracks you can upload, so it's now 100,000.

I also haven't seen anything mentioned yet about buying music from the Play store (lol, who does that hahaha) and getting that transferred, when GPM closes down.

I've bought a few albums from them. They used to hold sales often when first starting up and its a good use of my Google Survey Rewards bux.

My old Creative mp3 player had a random album button that I haven't been able to find in any piece of software since then. That's the one thing that I would die for. (In GPM, I play a random track, then go to the album, then play that album. It's clunky, but works.)

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Uthor posted:

My old Creative mp3 player had a random album button that I haven't been able to find in any piece of software since then. That's the one thing that I would die for. (In GPM, I play a random track, then go to the album, then play that album. It's clunky, but works.)

I don't know any Android app with that functionality, but foobar2000 has it and that's the primary reason I still bother with a dedicated music program on my PC. (My old iPod also did it, but those days are long gone.)

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Buff Hardback posted:

The analogous thing that gets me is I once I got a Pixel I started compulsively using the Google assistant to identify basically every song I overhear in public (that passive Now Playing feature just doesn't pick things up quickly enough to satisfy me), and the result gets pulled up like a search you typed in so now my News feed is like 40% about Selena Gomez.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

disaster pastor posted:

I don't know any Android app with that functionality, but foobar2000 has it and that's the primary reason I still bother with a dedicated music program on my PC. (My old iPod also did it, but those days are long gone.)

MediaMonkey isn't the height of design, but foobar2000 is just ugly to me.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
i would forgo any other music app on my phone to have foobar on it, its literally the best music player ever produced. its the definition of function over form and its beautiful

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I like Foobar, but it doesn't really whip the llama's rear end enough for me.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Poweramp lets me use Milkdrop visualizers and that's as close as I can get to Llama Whipping these days.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
If I have a decent library of uploaded music, and absolutely no interest in the radio or discovery features or YouTube, it's probably time for me to bite the bullet and set up Plex, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recalcitrant
Dec 30, 2006
I'm telling myself jokes in my head

5TonsOfFlax posted:

If I have a decent library of uploaded music, and absolutely no interest in the radio or discovery features or YouTube, it's probably time for me to bite the bullet and set up Plex, isn't it?

Something like Airsonic might work for you if you don't want to go all in on plex.