Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

klosterdev posted:

An SSID within range of my old apartment was "Kim's Pedobear Van"

My complex was literally next to a police station and it existed for years until I moved out
Similarly the SSID of my work phone for on-site backup internet access is "Flowers By Irene" which often causes either a lot of panic or that one guy who gets it to have a bit of a laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmniCorp
Oct 30, 2004

mllaneza posted:

I got on the lab support team by taking smoke breaks with the team's tech lead. A year later I got his job after he got promoted offsite. :yotj:

I took smoke breaks at the same time as one of the Network Engineers - NOC cameras. He told his boss about my recent CCNA. I got an interview and a ticket out of the NOC for a while until re-org.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I'm currently running with 5G_COVID-19_TEST_MAST. I hope they don't set my place on fire.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I'd change my SSID to something newer/funnier more often, but then it means I'd have to go rejoin all my devices to the new network and that takes too much effort.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My fridge sends on an SSID so I change that one occasionally.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Craptacular posted:

I'd change my SSID to something newer/funnier more often, but then it means I'd have to go rejoin all my devices to the new network and that takes too much effort.

I really wish there was a way to change your SSID without needing to rejoin goddamn everything.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
The answer is clear.

Just make your guest SSID the funny one.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I have a guest wifi called "Hide your KISS, hide your wifi" which, if you don't login with a token password, redirects to Kirks Pleasure.
I have a hidden SSID that all my own devices log onto.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

“5G SIGNAL BOOSTER”

I was searching for signal boosters for my camper the other day, but concluded I didn't really need them. Now that you've posted this, I do.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
oh God it finally happened. We just got tickets for personal printers for everyone in a department to use at home.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

oh God it finally happened. We just got tickets for personal printers for everyone in a department to use at home.

Well gently caress your life.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I get that ticket every day, except it's my mother having to be reminded that I can't connect her network printer to her citrix session.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You might be saved by the fact that printers seem to be out of stock in lots of places

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

"I got this printer at Goodwill. The old paper had holes on the sides so I put some new paper in, but now it isn't feeding and it's making a really loud noise. This is severity 1 urgent, this is affecting production."

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

22 Eargesplitten posted:

"I got this printer at Goodwill. The old paper had holes on the sides so I put some new paper in, but now it isn't feeding and it's making a really loud noise. This is severity 1 urgent, this is affecting production."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PsqnDF_cns

Meanwhile, I need to get into the office to build a hardware lab with an IP KVM. I'm on the list to get building access, but only for an hour a day. Obviously, hooking up and configuring all of this is going to take more than an hour, especially as no one has been in the lab for two months and everything is in disarray.

Somehow, this requires a CEO direct report (L2) approval. Somehow, this is impossible to get because, quote, "I feel like the top of our vertical is too busy to answer that question."

Okay.

Hold up Windows engineering for the entire company for lack of testing because each of us has one or two computers at home because an exec is too busy to rubber stamp some poo poo.

I'm glad to be employed at the moment, but this is loving asinine.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Will you at least get a hug afterwards?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PsqnDF_cns

Meanwhile, I need to get into the office to build a hardware lab with an IP KVM. I'm on the list to get building access, but only for an hour a day. Obviously, hooking up and configuring all of this is going to take more than an hour, especially as no one has been in the lab for two months and everything is in disarray.

Somehow, this requires a CEO direct report (L2) approval. Somehow, this is impossible to get because, quote, "I feel like the top of our vertical is too busy to answer that question."

Okay.

Hold up Windows engineering for the entire company for lack of testing because each of us has one or two computers at home because an exec is too busy to rubber stamp some poo poo.

I'm glad to be employed at the moment, but this is loving asinine.

just ask for a home lab instead. provide them with options

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

One of my colleagues got a ticket to audit and project how much toner and paper all of IT will use over the next 3-6 months.

IT has a team of five people whose entire job is managing purchases and contracts, as well as buying office supplies for IT.

:psyduck:

Also, I fixed a ticket that was opened in February by having the affected users enter their first name, last name, and company name into the public profile info. Why Adobe requires this for the Creative Cloud desktop app to do anything but load a blank white GUI is beyond me.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 13, 2020

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Marcade posted:

:hmmyes:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

RFC2324 posted:

just ask for a home lab instead. provide them with options

You've never met our security team.

I mean, the IP KVM and all its sundries live in my home right now. We don't have mail fulfillment at any offices, so they had to deliver it to me direct (of course, it was all scheduled to arrive on May Day, so now FedEx boxes are showing up at random intervals and at least one is missing in transit). The problem is, I share a fiber line with my HOA, so even if there was a precedent to get a connection run to my apartment, they'd still need to find me another ISP and get that installed.

Which will probably take longer than shaking one of the L2s out of a all-hands where they tell us we'll all be fine (as long as you're a commission based employee, gently caress all the rest-a y'all) to rubber stamp my loving request for access.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I wanted to share this one part of a tale from the awful r/relationships thread, mostly so this group can gawk at the series of decisions made by some users:

Miss posted:

Me [30M] with my mother [50sF]: She can't use a Computer to Save her Life, Lost all data now, might lose her job and I enable her reckless behaviour at the keyboard. I want this to stop. Help?

*snip*

Tomorrow, I'm taking my mother's privileges to install anything on her machines because she ran head first into Ransomware this weekend. Here's what she did:

Her desktop picture disappeared after she's done a Windows update that she knows she should not do. For twenty-one years I've told her that she shouldn't worry about them and that I'll take care of them on the last Sunday of the month, which I've been doing.

She googled for a recovery tool. For twenty-one years I've been telling her to call me whenever something is wrong.

She installed the first best thing she found

Turns out it's not a recovery tool but Cryptolocker 3.0

At this point, everything is hosed

A minute before I wanted to turn off my computer at home and go play some PlayStation for the rest of the day, I get an email by her asking me for help.

Needless to say that my Sunday was spent with ten hours of crisis management, including telling her that she not only has lost all her private data such as family photos and whatnot, but also that the infection spread to her locally synced Dropbox folder and thus her work files, all of which also presumed lost. I hope that her company can recover her data from backups, but that's not all. By uploading her confidential work data to Dropbox she violated her company's data protection policy as she has access to a lot of confidential data. This is grounds for immediate termination, but luckily their IT guy is a slacker who might not want to be burdened to inform the company's CEO. As my youngest brother works for her, he's in this as well of course. So not only could she get herself fired but also my brother whose career would end before it began.

All this because I can not get anything through to her. I'm obviously not the person to teach her anything. Immediately after I explained what she did to her computer and what happened, she went “Well, that can happen. Every car has a flat tire every now and then”which made me angry. This is not a random occurrence. So I told her that what she did was not a flat tire, but her driving her car at a wall, but instead of braking she thinks about it, floors the gas and hits the wall head on because that will take care of the dust on the dashboard.

I give up. I can't do this anymore. *snip*
Also can you spot where "IT person" hosed up?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

LethalGeek posted:

I wanted to share this one part of a tale from the awful r/relationships thread, mostly so this group can gawk at the series of decisions made by some users:

Picking up the phone when it said "Mom"?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

LethalGeek posted:

letting her store work files on an unmanaged machine?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

LethalGeek posted:

Everywhere.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I can't imagine it's HIPPA or other data, else the company's IT would be held. SMB that didn't restrict local admin.

I work at a MSP, we have local admin for all users on all boxes for one client. I'm just waiting for this to happen.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I can't imagine it's HIPPA or other data, else the company's IT would be held. SMB that didn't restrict local admin.

I work at a MSP, we have local admin for all users on all boxes for one client. I'm just waiting for this to happen.

Only one client? haha :derp::suicide:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

LethalGeek posted:

Do you mean "IT person" who's writing it, and somewhere along the line agreed to do IT support for family, or "IT person" at the company that's letting employees use personal machines for confidential business?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Do you mean "IT person" who's writing it, and somewhere along the line agreed to do IT support for family, or "IT person" at the company that's letting employees use personal machines for confidential business?

The person writing the story. There's not enough to know how the actual IT persons are reacting to that mess.

Edit the relationship nerds and I all figured this was a pirate copy of windows given the desktop and "don't run updates", which makes this even funnier.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 13, 2020

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pretty sure you can roll Dropbox back. Why didn't this guy just buy his mother $60 a year of Backblaze.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Thanks Ants posted:

Pretty sure you can roll Dropbox back. Why didn't this guy just buy his mother $60 a year of Backblaze.

She should have let him get that Marilyn Manson CD back in '96?

:shrug:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

He's posting on reddit relationship thread, I feel like you're not realizing the stupidity that happens there; I recommend reading like 20 pages of the thread on GBS that posts those, you will quickly learn.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

MF_James posted:

I recommend reading like 20 pages of the thread on GBS that posts those, you will quickly learn.

What a hosed-up, horrible thing to say to someone.

I don't know whether to be angry at you or sad for you.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

LethalGeek posted:

The person writing the story. There's not enough to know how the actual IT persons are reacting to that mess.

Edit the relationship nerds and I all figured this was a pirate copy of windows given the desktop and "don't run updates", which makes this even funnier.
It's been so long since I installed Windows XP "Black Edition" on a laptop that I forgot that was what happened when you ran Windows Update.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Didn't the CEO of MS give everyone a perpetual W10 key for personal use or some poo poo as a COVID-gift?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

that feels like a forward-from-grandma

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

You might be saved by the fact that printers seem to be out of stock in lots of places

Turns out I'm saved by our "No gently caress you just look at your computer screen" policy.
Also, Finance is definitely not approving those purchases right now so it won't even matter.
Thankfully I don't even have to be the one to tell them, my manager does :smug:

Speaking of managers, I was off yesterday and that asshat assigned me like a half dozen URGENT tickets that needed resolution like ASAP. Why the gently caress he did that, I have no clue but I just replied to everyone today, "hey I hope somebody fixed your problem now that it's too late. let me know if I can close the ticket, thanks."

Marcade posted:

hah I understood that reference.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Arquinsiel posted:

It's been so long since I installed Windows XP "Black Edition" on a laptop that I forgot that was what happened when you ran Windows Update.

Remember that 3rd party Windows Update site you could go to to get updates when proper WU blocked you for some (probably piracy related) reason?

I would build a new nLite custom ISO every once in a while to streamline reinstalling Windows, since it had to be done all the goddamn time.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Remember that 3rd party Windows Update site you could go to to get updates when proper WU blocked you for some (probably piracy related) reason?

I would build a new nLite custom ISO every once in a while to streamline reinstalling Windows, since it had to be done all the goddamn time.
Happily during my third year in college everyone started doing the "I own a laptop" thing for the first time, so I had plenty of XP licence keys floating around. The only time I ever installed a pirated version was on a lovely PC that a dude gave me as payment for a hostel room booking that he bailed on for an internet meetup.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

Arquinsiel posted:

Happily during my third year in college everyone started doing the "I own a laptop" thing for the first time, so I had plenty of XP licence keys floating around. The only time I ever installed a pirated version was on a lovely PC that a dude gave me as payment for a hostel room booking that he bailed on for an internet meetup.

I got my hands on the site license XP key at my university. Every computer I owned, every computer I rebuilt for friends and family, basically any computer that needed windows for several years got installed with that key.

And then, I got the Win7 key, and the process repeated itself.

For a while I also had the Win10 key, but volume licensing had changed and it eventually stopped working for new installs - right around the time you could upgrade to 10 for free.

So all those Win7 machines that hadn't been upgraded with the site license got 10 for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Doing your part for security is doing the Lord's work.