Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They’re not fancy but the cheap multipack of dimmable LED flood lights from Costco work great with my standard Lutron dimmer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I have a plethora of lawn related questions incoming over the next few months but I'm going to start with two simple ones:

1.) What do you guys use for tick treatment in your yards? I've typically used Spectracide Insect Killer for Lawns (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Spectracide-Triazicide-For-Lawns-Granules-10-lb-Insect-Killer/50236519) and it seems to have worked fine, but I'm interested to know what other products people use. Preferably something I can get via Amazon as I don't want to go to Lowes for even curbside pickup.

But I'm also interested in knowing alternate methods and maybe less... toxic? methods.

2.) When we first moved to this house about 6 years ago the grass, while not amazing, was good enough to walk around in and feel comfortable. Now I feel it's being slowly overtaken by weeds and is just ... less enjoyable. edit: I'll provide pics soon. But what's a general treatment plan to deweed a yard and encourage better grass growth?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
For lawn stuff you might be better served over here!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

BonoMan posted:

But I'm also interested in knowing alternate methods and maybe less... toxic? methods.

Adopt some possums imho

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

BonoMan posted:

2.) When we first moved to this house about 6 years ago the grass, while not amazing, was good enough to walk around in and feel comfortable. Now I feel it's being slowly overtaken by weeds and is just ... less enjoyable. edit: I'll provide pics soon. But what's a general treatment plan to deweed a yard and encourage better grass growth?
Have you tried weed and feed? Seems an obvious first step.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

B-Nasty posted:

LED light and dimmer compatibility, in the year 2020, is still a huge shitshow. Some dimmers and LED bulbs/fixtures just don't play nice with each other. In some cases, you can adjust the dimmer to only dim within a range that the LED bulb doesn't flicker or hum at, but sometimes, it's just bad at all levels.

Most manufactures of quality dimmers and LED bulbs/fixtures now provide compatibility charts on their website. The Lutron dimmers tend to be the most compatible IMHO. Even with those, I buy them from a local hardware store (not Amazon) so that I can easily return them if I notice any issues in the first week or two of use.

I caved and shackled myself to the Philips Hue system. It just works, and having color adjust along with dimmers is surprisingly nice. Just wish the bulbs didn't cost so much. :20bux::20bux::20bux:

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

Sirotan posted:

Adopt some possums imho

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I'm going to install some hinges soon, and so that I don't accidentally screw myself over, I figure I'd post here juuuust to be sure.

Does it matter which side of this is attached to the door and which to the cabinet frame?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sirotan posted:

Adopt some possums imho

I have had a possum before. He was a gently, if ugly, creature. Also it always shat all over me.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Have you tried weed and feed? Seems an obvious first step.

I looked at Weed & Feed but got gunshy with its toxicity since I have kiddos around. But that was a while ago and I was probably just getting misled by internet poo poo.

devmd01 posted:

For lawn stuff you might be better served over here!

Ah! Nice! Back when I bought my house this thread didn't exist... knew I should have checked again.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I'm going to install some hinges soon, and so that I don't accidentally screw myself over, I figure I'd post here juuuust to be sure.

Does it matter which side of this is attached to the door and which to the cabinet frame?

I'm my experience, the bigger side attaches to the door and the smaller side attaches to the frame fora few reasons. One is swinging the edges of the door so they clear the frame, the other is you want a lower footprint on the frame so hinges can sit side by side etc.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

BonoMan posted:

I have a plethora of lawn related questions incoming over the next few months but I'm going to start with two simple ones:

1.) What do you guys use for tick treatment in your yards? I've typically used Spectracide Insect Killer for Lawns (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Spectracide-Triazicide-For-Lawns-Granules-10-lb-Insect-Killer/50236519) and it seems to have worked fine, but I'm interested to know what other products people use. Preferably something I can get via Amazon as I don't want to go to Lowes for even curbside pickup.

Welcome, fellow lawn-owner!

1.) DoMyOwn.com has become my main stop for lawn and insect chemicals and equipment. They also have great guides to help get you started on figuring out what you want your approach to be. For example: Ticks (it's a multi-step guide, so make sure you click through to the "Treat" and "Prevent" stages). They have a combo kit that includes an insecticide and an IGR.

You mentioned wanting to find something less "toxic", so I am guessing that picking up a sprayer and putting on some gloves and boots might be outside your comfort zone. If so, totally understandable. However, one cool thing about using an Insect Growth Regulator (IGR) is that they operate by interrupting a specific stage of the insect's lifecycle rather than just poisoning them outright. This lets them be much more specific in what creatures they affect, and thus have very low environmental toxicity. So in the long run using an IGR to control the population, while more hands-on, would probably be more environmentally friendly than something like the broadcast lawn granules.

2.) Where are you located? Or more to the point, do you have a "warm season" (Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia) or "cool season" (Rye, Fescue, Bluegrass) lawn? This will inform the best fertilization and weed treatment cycle for you.

The most important thing to pay attention to is overall good cultural practices regarding mowing height/frequency, watering, and fertilization. This will vary based on location and grass type, but grass is a pretty good competitor and can make it hard for weeds to become established. Meanwhile, all the herbicides in the world aren't going to improve the lawn if you don't have healthy grass to grow in over it.

If it's getting taken over with weeds, you have two complementary options: Preventative preventative pre-emergent herbicides and selective post-emergent herbicides. The pre-emergents are put down before the optimal growing seasons (late-winter and late-summer to stop spring-sprouting and fall-sprouting weeds, respectively) basically prevent weeds seeds from establishing themselves in the first place, reducing the need to resort to post-emergents. Selective post-emergents can then be used to knock down whatever comes through without harming the grass around it. Then you can let the grass grow and fill in, or possibly overseed it in the appropriate season. The specific herbicides you will want to use will vary with the weeds you are seeing, but 2-4,D and Triclopyr should cover a huge amount of your common problems. Tenacity is also a really cool-and-good option, but it can be trickier to apply properly.

Anyways, follow up with some details about what you've got and I will see if I can provide any advice.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mutata posted:

I'm my experience, the bigger side attaches to the door and the smaller side attaches to the frame fora few reasons. One is swinging the edges of the door so they clear the frame, the other is you want a lower footprint on the frame so hinges can sit side by side etc.

I thought the same

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hubis posted:

Welcome, fellow lawn-owner!

1.) DoMyOwn.com has become my main stop for lawn and insect chemicals and equipment. They also have great guides to help get you started on figuring out what you want your approach to be. For example: Ticks (it's a multi-step guide, so make sure you click through to the "Treat" and "Prevent" stages). They have a combo kit that includes an insecticide and an IGR.

You mentioned wanting to find something less "toxic", so I am guessing that picking up a sprayer and putting on some gloves and boots might be outside your comfort zone. If so, totally understandable. However, one cool thing about using an Insect Growth Regulator (IGR) is that they operate by interrupting a specific stage of the insect's lifecycle rather than just poisoning them outright. This lets them be much more specific in what creatures they affect, and thus have very low environmental toxicity. So in the long run using an IGR to control the population, while more hands-on, would probably be more environmentally friendly than something like the broadcast lawn granules.

2.) Where are you located? Or more to the point, do you have a "warm season" (Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia) or "cool season" (Rye, Fescue, Bluegrass) lawn? This will inform the best fertilization and weed treatment cycle for you.

The most important thing to pay attention to is overall good cultural practices regarding mowing height/frequency, watering, and fertilization. This will vary based on location and grass type, but grass is a pretty good competitor and can make it hard for weeds to become established. Meanwhile, all the herbicides in the world aren't going to improve the lawn if you don't have healthy grass to grow in over it.

If it's getting taken over with weeds, you have two complementary options: Preventative preventative pre-emergent herbicides and selective post-emergent herbicides. The pre-emergents are put down before the optimal growing seasons (late-winter and late-summer to stop spring-sprouting and fall-sprouting weeds, respectively) basically prevent weeds seeds from establishing themselves in the first place, reducing the need to resort to post-emergents. Selective post-emergents can then be used to knock down whatever comes through without harming the grass around it. Then you can let the grass grow and fill in, or possibly overseed it in the appropriate season. The specific herbicides you will want to use will vary with the weeds you are seeing, but 2-4,D and Triclopyr should cover a huge amount of your common problems. Tenacity is also a really cool-and-good option, but it can be trickier to apply properly.

Anyways, follow up with some details about what you've got and I will see if I can provide any advice.

Amazing stuff thanks! I'm going to go out and take pictures this afternoon so I can provide some better info.

For now I'm in central Mississippi and, embarrassingly, I don't know what grass I have. Well not embarrassingly I guess since the whole point of this is me trying to learn this stuff. I dont do anything other than now the front lawn and I'm pretty sure I do it too short. For the back yard, it was over shaded and almost all dirt when I moved in. I cut down 5 trees in the back yard and seeded it lightly (can't remember the grass type... I'll check my Lowe's acct) and the grass has grown fairly well in the last two years. It's weedy as well but honestly we were trying to get any cover we could as it was straight dirt.

As far as toxicity, I'm mostly just nervous because I have kids 11 month and 6 years old. With the pandemic we're in the yard a lot so I just want to make sure I dont harm them (environment too). I'm probably being over reactive there and can be talked off that ledge easily.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

BonoMan posted:

Amazing stuff thanks! I'm going to go out and take pictures this afternoon so I can provide some better info.

For now I'm in central Mississippi and, embarrassingly, I don't know what grass I have. Well not embarrassingly I guess since the whole point of this is me trying to learn this stuff. I dont do anything other than now the front lawn and I'm pretty sure I do it too short. For the back yard, it was over shaded and almost all dirt when I moved in. I cut down 5 trees in the back yard and seeded it lightly (can't remember the grass type... I'll check my Lowe's acct) and the grass has grown fairly well in the last two years. It's weedy as well but honestly we were trying to get any cover we could as it was straight dirt.

As far as toxicity, I'm mostly just nervous because I have kids 11 month and 6 years old. With the pandemic we're in the yard a lot so I just want to make sure I dont harm them (environment too). I'm probably being over reactive there and can be talked off that ledge easily.

Listen to Felder Rushing on the Gestalt Gardener on MS public radio. Also available as a podcast. He's funny and a huge font of knowledge, and very responsive to emails and has a masters degree in turf grass management from MS State or something ridiculous.

For this summer, fertilize with a high nitrogen fertilizer now, and set your mower to mow at it's highest height and mow every week during the summer. You probably don't need to water unless it really gets dry, but that depends on your soil.

You can use a weed and feed fertilizer, but I'd wait until next year- spend this year getting the grass good and healthy so when you do do battle with the weeds, the grass is ready to take over. Getting the grass healthier may be enough to deal with the weeds on its own. You want to make sure your grass is good and healthy first so you don't kill all the weeds and find out that 75% of the green stuff in your yard was actually weeds and now you have a sad brown yard. My neighbor just did this to himself, lol. What kind of grass you have makes a big difference as to what kind of chemicals you can use for weeds-St. Augustine in particular is pretty sensitive to 2-4, D, and it can do as much damage to the grass as it does the weeds. After years fighting with creeping charlie, I finally went chemical and used scott's weed and feed with atrazine and it has worked wonders in my little test patch.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Listen to Felder Rushing on the Gestalt Gardener on MS public radio. Also available as a podcast. He's funny and a huge font of knowledge, and very responsive to emails and has a masters degree in turf grass management from MS State or something ridiculous.

For this summer, fertilize with a high nitrogen fertilizer now, and set your mower to mow at it's highest height and mow every week during the summer. You probably don't need to water unless it really gets dry, but that depends on your soil.

You can use a weed and feed fertilizer, but I'd wait until next year- spend this year getting the grass good and healthy so when you do do battle with the weeds, the grass is ready to take over. Getting the grass healthier may be enough to deal with the weeds on its own. You want to make sure your grass is good and healthy first so you don't kill all the weeds and find out that 75% of the green stuff in your yard was actually weeds and now you have a sad brown yard. My neighbor just did this to himself, lol. What kind of grass you have makes a big difference as to what kind of chemicals you can use for weeds-St. Augustine in particular is pretty sensitive to 2-4, D, and it can do as much damage to the grass as it does the weeds. After years fighting with creeping charlie, I finally went chemical and used scott's weed and feed with atrazine and it has worked wonders in my little test patch.

Thanks for the advice. I f'ing love Felder. Listen to him all the time. My wife and I were actually thinking about writing him as well so good idea.

Man he has that Bob Ross level of "makes you feel good positivity."

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

BonoMan posted:

Thanks for the advice. I f'ing love Felder. Listen to him all the time. My wife and I were actually thinking about writing him as well so good idea.

Man he has that Bob Ross level of "makes you feel good positivity."

I was just listening to him and he was talking about his ‘yard of the month’ sign that he has in his yard.....that he stole from some neighborhood.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Good stuff on the lawn care, I learned some things!

...but gently caress keeping track of all that noise, I’ll just pay someone. $450/yr for lawn treatment service is well worth not dealing with it.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 12, 2020

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
But taking care of your lawn is satisfying :ohdear:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I need to replace my old and hideous fridge, but the space for it is so weird. Basically you can fit a 33 inch wide fridge in just fine, but the counter depth is only just over 25 inches. So there's no real fridge that fits well. The best one I found is this:

https://www.warnersstellian.com/product/10008/samsung-rf18hfenbsr

depth is 28 without handles, 30.5 with. However this is still a big improvement over my current one, which is 31 without, 33.75 with.

edit: the wall on the other side of the fridge comes out to 30 inches. isn't that weird that it comes out much further than the counter?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 12, 2020

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

here's a picture. that wall to the left is coming out five inches more than the counter to the right. also my fridge is warped or something, notice how it's bending?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Put a level on all of those things and see which is whack.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

falz posted:

Put a level on all of those things and see which is whack.

I double checked and thankfully it's the fridge :)

about a mm of the bubble is beyond the black line on the level

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

actionjackson posted:

edit: the wall on the other side of the fridge comes out to 30 inches. isn't that weird that it comes out much further than the counter?

Not really, because it's probably meant to hide the fridge from the hallway.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

socketwrencher posted:

Not really, because it's probably meant to hide the fridge from the hallway.

I guess then I don't get why the counter doesn't come out more. The oven next to it comes out about 27 inches. There's no real advantage to saving that two inches on the counter when everything else on that side juts out at least that far.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

actionjackson posted:

I guess then I don't get why the counter doesn't come out more. The oven next to it comes out about 27 inches. There's no real advantage to saving that two inches on the counter when everything else on that side juts out at least that far.

Yeah I'm with you, 24"-25" counter depth is standard but appliances don't line up, which isn't a big deal if it's only an inch or so but more than that looks off. Maybe appliances nowadays are bigger than in the ancient era?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My 1960 or 1970 counters are 22" deep and gently caress it sucks. Nothing lines up, nothing fits. Not even modern sinks.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

actionjackson posted:

It's because things were done with the cheapest materials the builder could find.

No, really. This is why that happens.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah I understand. And this place was built in like 2007 so hardly ancient.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

BonoMan posted:

I'm phone posting so I'll try and follow up more when I have a real keyboard, but:

I personally really like The Lawn Care Nut on YouTube. He is a good balance between "good cultural practices are fundamental" and also "chemical treatments are a powerful tool that should be used if needed, but if you need to do so in the most effective manner". He's got a big catalog of videos at this point, but I'd look at his channel and flip over to "playlists" to pick something that interests you, or just start scanning through the 2020 Lawn Season Tips Playlist.

Sounds like you are definitely in "warm season" grass territory then. That's out of my own personal expertise (I'm used to northern cool season lawns which are practically a different animal) but there are some universal things I'm happy to advise on if I can.

As far as toxicity, I am in the same boat and I totally respect the hesitancy. For the most part there's not going to be anything majorly dangerous, provided you are good about reading the labels to understand what the maximum single/annual application rates are, you wear proper PPE (long pants/sleeves, gloves, boots you can rinse) and don't track wet chemical around the house, and that you respect the "reentry interval" for what you are applying. For many applications they are considered "safe" once they are dry to the touch, or after some number of hours. For granular applications it's also important that you water it in properly (and then wait for that to dry).

I'm going to go ahead and say you probably can't go wrong at this exact stage by tracking down Milorganite (they should have it at HD/Lowe's) and applying it at a pretty heavy rate. It might not be what you want to do every season in the long run, but it will add some organic fertilizer to your soil and start revitalizing the soil microbiome, and give you that nice blue-green color with a solid dose of N and Fe. Since it's broken down organically it's hard to over-apply (unlike a urea or ammonium based fertilizer) and it'll lay a good foundation for whatever renovation you might want to do down the road. Seaweed extract and humic acid are also good things to look at adding.

For seeds, I really like seed super store. They have a zip code based tool for finding an optional blend for your location/light level, and they have access to some nice cultivars you might not otherwise find at the big box stores. I'm not sure if this is as applicable to warm season lawns though -- as I understand it they are much harder to grow from seed and overseeding isn't really a thing there (you'd use plugs or sod instead).

Oh BTW, I was doing some unrelated research today and came across the fact that I guess Cedarwood mulch will help somewhat to suppress ticks and mosquitos, so if you have bedding in your yard you might look into investing in some of that to complement your efforts.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Hey let's say you have a fairly small kitchen space. Then let's say you're gutting the kitchen because it sucks. Like down to the studs, all plumbing and cabinets finito.

What would you add or do differently in a modern small kitchen if you were building from zero?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Manager Hoyden posted:

Hey let's say you have a fairly small kitchen space. Then let's say you're gutting the kitchen because it sucks. Like down to the studs, all plumbing and cabinets finito.

What would you add or do differently in a modern small kitchen if you were building from zero?

I remodeled my kitchen a year or two ago using the Ikea kitchen event.

For various reasons I couldn't do all of these things, but here are things I would've liked to have:

For the purpose of making the counter top easier to clean: in-counter stove and a wall mounted kitchen faucet. Water and soap residue splashs up on the counter, behind my faucet and is tedious to keep clean. A wall mounted model would at least make the counter easier to wipe down. Similarly, with the stove, you don't have a crack running the entire depth of the counter that food and stuff can fall or seep into. As a consequence you'll have to have a space to mount an in-wall oven; I think many of these can be mounted in the cabinet below the in-counter stoves. I didn't want to run a 220V circuit for an oven and rather like how quickly my gas oven comes up to temp, and while I didn't look to hard, I did find a gas oven at the local big box stores.

I like my drawer microwave, which mounts in a 24" or 30" cabinet. However, they're pretty expensive. I managed to get an open box model after trawling the local Best Buy open box section for a few months.

Also, make sure you install some sort of range hood that exhausts to the outside. I also like having the 30" garbage/recycling bin cabinet. I like the pantry cabinet with drawers. I find it much more space efficient, easier to load/unload, etc.

Lastly, I wish I had a second cabinet, like the pantry, to store things like a step stool, brooms, mops, etc. in. As of now, it either gets rested against a random wall, left in a corner in my garage, or as a tripping hazard in my very tiny laundry room which is on the other side of the wall from the pantry.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 13, 2020

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Your kitchen has four main elements: stove, sink, fridge, trash cans. Remember to make good space for the dang trash cans.

Pull-out drawers below instead of cabinets. Magnetic surfaces are cool and good for adding hooks and stuff later.

Then I'd share photos and proposed floorplans and let goons make clever and helpful suggestions.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Induction cookers are great, previously I would only have considered gas but particularly the Siemens induction hob is as good or better.

Layout is super important. I have a home in the city and a holiday home, the kitchen in the holiday home is way smaller but actually better to cook in because everything is right at hand. And I can empty the dishwasher in like 2 minutes. All about the work triangle.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

Your kitchen has four main elements: stove, sink, fridge, trash cans. Remember to make good space for the dang trash cans.

I would add "counter space", "larder", and "cabinets" to that.

Manager Hoyden posted:

My philosophy with kitchens is that they're a workshop like any other, except because we eat so frequently they've hung around while others (like woodworking or metalworking shops) are largely gone.

To that end, the kitchen (and associated stores) is a workshop dedicated to turning food ingredients into meals, and has similar needs to a typical workshop.

Every area in a kitchen should be storage or workspace, but not both. Storage is needed for stock (ingredients), consumables (oil, spices, foil, bags), offcuts (leftovers), waste, and tools (knives, cutlery, plates, stovetop burners, pans). Workstations are things like prep counters, cookers, sinks, dishwashers.

We tend to keep stocks of ingredients in larders, fridges, and freezers, consumables tend to be (ideally) stored close to their workstations, like in spice racks above the cooker, foil near prep, etc. Tools should be arranged as to their place and frequency of use, like kitchen knives near prep, plates near plate, ice cream maker in the garage. The (garbage) bins are also storage, and like all home storage is a local cache of something to speed up a task, i.e. it's there to make trips outside less frequent.

Sorry it's early and I'm rambling. Split your kitchen into three categories: workspaces, tools, and stores. It's OK for things within each category to do double duty, e.g. one workspace for prep and plate, one knife for chopping and paring, one cabinet as larder and plate storage, but it's not OK for double-duty across category; the most common of which is using workspaces as storage (dishes left dirty in sink or clean in dishwasher, tools, ingredients, and consumables left on counters, etc.

In a small kitchen you'll have a lot of things pulling double duty, so I would focus on keeping a clear separation between storage and workspace, which usually involves making sure you have the right amount of the right type of storage in the right location, and/or storing less stuff. It's OK to store some things outside the kitchen, or not have them at all, provided it's well thought through and not just using somewhere else as overflow.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
/me googles 'larder': 'a room or large cupboard for storing food.'

Is this different from a pantry in some way, or a regional term for the same thing?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

falz posted:

Is this different from a pantry in some way, or a regional term for the same thing?

Yeah probs regional difference, I think either would be fine here, though a larder is very much less-perishable food storage (cans, flour, dried whatever) while a pantry in my mind includes or focuses on crockery.

Using victorian terms I think you're looking at:
Kitchen: cooking
Pantry: dry food storage
Cellar: cold food storage
Larder: cold meat prep & temp storage
Scullery: running water, so washing up and wet food prep
[Butler's] pantry: light washing up and post-washing up crockery maintenance

I don't think many of these terms stayed that distinct when not implemented in a manor house. The dry food cupboard in my childhood home in the north of england was called the larder.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

falz posted:

From what I understand a larder is generally meant to be passively cooler than the rest of the kitchen. In older houses they are typically found on the north facing or otherwise shady side and have a window that can be opened for ventilation with mesh to keep insects out.

My parents have a proper one and it is definitely cooler in there than the rest of the kitchen even in the height of summer.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I think it's a "larder" because of curing fat on meat or something, so it would make sense for it to be kept cooler, yeah.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I...think this is the right thread for this.

We have a raccoon living under our porch. It tore off some of the lattice that had been preventing access, and we've seen it come out a couple times around dawn and dusk. There's not really anything it can tear up under there, but we have a dog and we'd strongly prefer the critter doesn't make our home its home.

I can buy a trap and stick it under there (or wait until we see it leave, then just board up the entrance again), but my concern is that its a momma raccoon. I don't want a raccoon under the porch, but I really don't want a litter of dead raccoon babies under there.

What's the play here? Critter control is expensive. We can afford it, if its actually the best option, but this feels like something that might be do-able without professional help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

joepinetree posted:

Found out the reason why the counter ceded a little bit. My hatred for the previous owners, the previous owners' handy man, and my inspectors, in that order, is pure.

In the front everything looks ok. But in the back, there were these little crappy wooden blocks propping up the counter and one dislodged when my wife stepped on it:

Now to see if my handyman can at least stabilize this whole poo poo and make it last a couple more years. I really don't want to have to deal with replacing cabinets and/or counter right now.

Just following up on this:

Turns out the handyman for the previous owners was a colossal, massive imbecile.

The "drop" in the counter made it level. The little pieces of wood were actually making it uneven, because the dumbass handyman had caulked the countertop unevenly. So instead of redoing the job, the dumbass propped up the counter in a minor incline. New handyman came in, looked real confused when I asked him to put the counter back up, as it was now level and flush with the cabinets. Before it was flush in the front and not in the back because of the stupidity of the previous handyman.

Previous handyman who must not even realize how much of a dumbass he is, because he introduced himself to me as the person who got the unit ready for sale, and so he knew the unit pretty well, blahblahblah.

edit: oh, and it turns out that he did that because the backsplash he installed was based on the crooked counter. God, if I ever buy a house again, I am taking a level with me to every property.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 13, 2020