Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Fox upfronts were today. Are we going to get an upfronts thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I was channel surfing tonight and saw that Amy Schumer has her own show on Food Network now. And it looks terrible.

fart store posted:

When the gently caress is moonbase 8 coming out

On his podcast Tim Heidecker has alluded to there being some sort of behind the scenes network drama over it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just finally started Tiger King on a whim and thought I was mostly aware of what I was getting into since I've absorbed so much about Joe Exotic from all the buzz and conversation but boy oh boy I was not prepared for an entire world of insane rear end tiger sex cults. Plural.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

-Blackadder- posted:

Also what are some good new shows worth checking out that came out within the last year? I've barely looked at a tv since last august, but now that the semester is over I'll have some more time.

Check out the end of year thread for stuff from last year https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3905825

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Kimmy Schmidt choose your own adventure thing is on Netflix now. SPOILER: it’s already very funny!!

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
Networks are starting to load up on foreign/streaming shows in case they end up with nothing to air for the fall season.

-Fox bought season 1 of L.A's Finest, the Gabrielle Union & Jessica Alba show that somehow was a Spectrum original.

-CW bought Swamp Thing from DCU, Coroner (2 seasons) from Canada, Tell Me A Story (2 seasons) from CBSAA and Dead Pixels from the UK.

Expect a lot more. May we end up with The Mandalorian on ABC?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Chairman Capone posted:

I was channel surfing tonight and saw that Amy Schumer has her own show on Food Network now. And it looks terrible.

eh, it's quarantine content, filmed with like literal webcams, I'm not surprised it looks bad visually. I'm curious about the actual content of the show, Amy Schumer is funny most of the time.

on a similar note, I watch The Voice with my mom every week and we're into the second week of the live performances and I'm kind of impressed that they're actually pulling this off. They basically sent all of the coaches and contestants (17 fuckin' people for the first live show) some kits and allowed them to set up in their homes (or in one guy's case, his church that is currently not having services), the performances have a little bit of editing and directing flair, and it looks good. It's obviously not comparable to an actual live show with a live audience, but considering this came at basically the worst time for this show (months after the pre-taped shows but right before the live ones started), they're pulling it off.

American Idol was basically in the same place, but since they eliminate one person a week instead of dumping half of the contestants at once they've got a longer span of weeks to fill with live shows, and their performances look like slightly gussied up YouTube streams.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rageaholic posted:

I'm finally watching the last season of Man in the High Castle and this is really loving stupid with all this dimension traveling stuff lol

PKD actually tried to write a sequel where the nazis discovered other dimensions, but researching nazis again was just too draining.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Disney+ moved up Hamilton to July 2020. Looks like I will get Disney+ again for a month.

fart store posted:

I have a feeling this may never come out. It has been in the can for like 2 years, and last i checked still no networks attached. Either it is really bad or there is really some bad behind the scenes stuff going on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fart store posted:

Moonbase 6 is jerks.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Networks are starting to load up on foreign/streaming shows in case they end up with nothing to air for the fall season.

-Fox bought season 1 of L.A's Finest, the Gabrielle Union & Jessica Alba show that somehow was a Spectrum original.

-CW bought Swamp Thing from DCU, Coroner (2 seasons) from Canada, Tell Me A Story (2 seasons) from CBSAA and Dead Pixels from the UK.

Expect a lot more. May we end up with The Mandalorian on ABC?

I know some shows like The Tick are trying to use this opportunity to boost their show to get picked up by a network and hopefully get a renewal out of finding a new audience, so that would be pretty great.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Timby posted:

God, podcast ad reads are getting intolerable. MBMBaM and MaxFun shows in general are still keeping them pretty short, but holy poo poo as much as I love Stuff You Should Know, they average three breaks in a single episode, and it's usually two sponsor ads, then one or two ads for other iHeart podcasts, then back to the show for ten minutes, then right back to the same ad break. (And the music coming in and out of the breaks is terrible.)

Edit: I also really hate that with iHeart ads for their podcasts, they always end with the same copy: "Available on the iHeart app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts." Like, no loving poo poo?

In all fairness the SYSK and the like ads are super duper skippable. They even have annoying rear end bumpers so you don't miss anything.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hamilton is being released on Disney+ on July 3rd.

https://www.engadget.com/hamilton-disney-plus-release-date-142215844.html

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
There was a period of about two weeks of my life, somewhere around 4 years ago, where I might have been vaguely interested in that.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

feedmyleg posted:

There was a period of about two weeks of my life, somewhere around 4 years ago, where I might have been vaguely interested in that.

I was a teenager when the Rent movie came out so now I've had two decades of my life where the most insufferable people I knew were utterly enamored with a musical that the general populace turned on the moment it became widely viewable in movie form and everyone realized how terrible it was.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm one of three people who thinks Amy Schumer has always been hilarious and her cooking show thing is totally fine

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Amy Schumer's guest appearance on this season of "No Activity" was gold.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

The Kimmy Schmidt choose your own adventure thing is on Netflix now. SPOILER: it’s already very funny!!

I worked on it; it’s very good, choose every option.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Hell yes. I've been trying to watch this for months!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Waiting for the Mad About You revival to be on ABC as well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

Waiting for the Mad About You revival to be on ABC as well.

You're a monster.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

theflyingexecutive posted:

I worked on it; it’s very good, choose every option.

I haven’t gone back and done alternate options yet (outside of when I got bad endings/killing Jon Hamm in all 3 ways) but I definitely will. The Skip Intro part was one of my favourites.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

precision posted:

I'm one of three people who thinks Amy Schumer has always been hilarious and her cooking show thing is totally fine

I have never understood the backlash against her. That said I also thought the Lena Dunham backlash was a little bit much (well at first, now I’m just unsure because I stopped paying attention after Girls), so what do I know. People seem to hate females who step outside the norm of what looks should be and especially if they involved in comedy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lena Dunham backlash was totally overblown until that one Girls writer got MeToo’d and she said she had evidence proving his accuser was lying and then admitted a year later she completely made it up

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Amy Schumer backlash came from her plagiarism on some comedy sketch on her show but she also became too famous so people always hate that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Both those people had such a crazy mix of deserved and undeserved pile-ons. I think the undeserved stuff tended to come first, until they found some legitimate stuff on both of them and by then they were so smeared already it was hard to ignore.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm late and all but I just want to publicly say at least once gently caress Joe Exotic and everyone in that world who isn't obviously a victim of a cult.

I started that series last night before bed just thinking I was gonna watch 1 episode and pass out during it and now I'm finished like 15 hours later.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

EL BROMANCE posted:

Both those people had such a crazy mix of deserved and undeserved pile-ons. I think the undeserved stuff tended to come first, until they found some legitimate stuff on both of them and by then they were so smeared already it was hard to ignore.

Amy Schumer stole a couple jokes, which literally every comedian does

Lena Dunham wrote an autobiography where she talked about molesting her little sister like it was nbd

So I mean, kinda different

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yet Amy Schumer is incredibly unfunny, and Girls is mostly good.

A land of contrasts.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

precision posted:

Amy Schumer stole a couple jokes, which literally every comedian does

Lena Dunham wrote an autobiography where she talked about molesting her little sister like it was nbd

So I mean, kinda different

It's almost as if I talked about them both because they were already being talked about.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Upload is really good. I just wanted to check out the first episode, watched the whole thing.

Nice mix off science fiction satire in a corporation owned hellworld and schmaltzy love story. Also the cast is ridiculously pretty, like surpassing CW shows pretty.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

What the gently caress is up with the casual racism in that one Solar Opposites episode about having to order in another language at Taco Bell? That got a pretty big :crossarms: outta me.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
I'd never heard about Amy Schumer stealing jokes before, the only backlash I'd heard was about her very racist jokes but that might be the circles I run in.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Catfishenfuego posted:

I'd never heard about Amy Schumer stealing jokes before, the only backlash I'd heard was about her very racist jokes but that might be the circles I run in.

She also tells horrible ableist jokes throughout her old Comedy Central show. I don't know if she wrote them herself, or someone in her old writers' room had a real hate-on for the disabled, but that's the ultimate in cheap, hacky punching down, and she was the face on TV saying that ugly poo poo with her "Ain't I a stinker?" smirk. She had plenty of wink wink, nudge nudge, casually racist jokes too.

I also remember she stole a masturbation joke from Chappelle's Show, which wasn't exactly obscure. Chappelle sang some song with the line "I beat my dick like it owes me money," and then Amy was questioning a guy in a later bit and said "Does it owe you money?" Coming to fame on Comedy Central, there's no way she wouldn't have seen that. But that's the only example of joke theft I know of for sure.

I considered myself a fan after her first stand-up special Mostly Sex Stuff. I knew she was going to become a star after that, and I even took my wife to see her live right when she was really blowing up, with her show. But she wore out her welcome with both of us shortly after that.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Rewatching Friday Night Lights for the first time since its original airing and goddamn is season 1 just some transcendent television

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
I am doing a rewatch of Adventure Time and binging through the first two seasons has been really enjoyable. It is really impressive how the show's quality kept getting better and better and I haven't even got to the 'This Mortal Folly' and 'Mortal Recoil' two-parter yet. I'm not breaking new ground in saying the show started having issues as soon as Martin showed up but I am curious how the show second half is going come off on a second viewing.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Beat my dick like it owes me money? In all fairness If you claim she stole it from Chappelle, he must have stolen from my 6th grade classmate back in the 80’s. That saying was around long before Chappelle.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I've got no real opinion one way or another about Schumer but I definitely didn't hear that joke first from Chappelle.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
While there are plenty of real instances of intentional and malicious joke theft, I tend to think that the majority of instances we hear about are either parallel evolution or internalizing the joke of another comic, forgetting its origin, then later thinking you came up with it. It's easy to do when you're constantly hearing and forgetting a ton of jokes from all your peers. Musicians talk about it happening to them too—did I come up with that or did I hear it somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

feedmyleg posted:

While there are plenty of real instances of intentional and malicious joke theft, I tend to think that the majority of instances we hear about are either parallel evolution or internalizing the joke of another comic, forgetting its origin, then later thinking you came up with it. It's easy to do when you're constantly hearing and forgetting a ton of jokes from all your peers. Musicians talk about it happening to them too—did I come up with that or did I hear it somewhere?

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, there’s a real difference between making the same joke someone else did, and ripping off bits word for word.