Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

Quarantine has given me lots of rewatch time so in my quest to rewatch shows that I really liked up until the writers totally forgot how to wrap up a show in the last ten episodes I recently finished a rewatch of Battlestar Galactica. This time around I actually didn't mind the God Did It handwaving because it kinda makes sense if you go in knowing that the Cylons (or at least, the Sixes) are actually right the whole way through. The last five minutes are still an atrocity committed to film, though.

Man, I was so into Battlestar Galactica during it's first season or two, and I really liked it's characters and space-navy aesthetic. I missed a bit of seasons 3 and 4, and was disappointed by the ending. Is there, say, a good stopping point somewhere in the series? Or is there another good show or movie that's similar? Stargate Universe was similar. The first season was kind of bad, but it started to get really good just before it got canceled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

beanieson posted:

Me and my 8yo son watched all 160 something episodes of Batman The Animated Series and it loving rules as hard as I remember it.

I'm going through the middle of a rewatch of this myself right now and am loving it immensely. Holds up really well.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Raspberry Bang posted:

Solar Opposites season 1

I like Rick and Morty, but while this is a good show it’s not as funny as Rick and Morty. Honestly I enjoy the wall storyline way better than what the show is actually about.
100% agree on all points.

It's a fun show, but the main story seems very episodic. It kind of feels like Justin Roiland's take on Family Guy, but using R&M's trademark "sci-fi bullshit" as a crutch. It's pretty good, but I wasn't surprised at all to find that Mike McMahan was the writer of Interdimensional Cable 2 and Morty's Mind Blowers, because his humor feels very anthological.

DorianGravy posted:

Man, I was so into Battlestar Galactica during it's first season or two, and I really liked it's characters and space-navy aesthetic. I missed a bit of seasons 3 and 4, and was disappointed by the ending. Is there, say, a good stopping point somewhere in the series? Or is there another good show or movie that's similar? Stargate Universe was similar. The first season was kind of bad, but it started to get really good just before it got canceled.

I still enjoyed it all the way through, but if you really don't like the ending, stop when they find "Earth" the first time. It's SUCH a downer ending, but it's a more fitting one for BSG's tone.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

I still enjoyed it all the way through, but if you really don't like the ending, stop when they find "Earth" the first time. It's SUCH a downer ending, but it's a more fitting one for BSG's tone.

While that was a good episode, it's probably too much of a downer ending for me. Honestly, I think the last episode would have been fine if they just ended it when they came into sight of the real Earth. Some ambiguity is fine, and you can imagine whatever you want from there. For some reason, everything that happened once they were on Earth didn't leave a good impression with me. I'd prefer an ending that doesn't try to be so final. The show had the dual-problem that: 1) they didn't plan it out well enough when setting up their various mysteries and 2) they tried to wrap up too much at the end.

Since this put me in the mood for for scifi, I started watching the older Battlestar Galactica (1978). It's pretty cheesy and 70s-ish, but I'm enjoying it. I'd seen it once before, but don't remember much.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Watched the third season of Westworld. Its creators clearly still haven't grasped why the first season was received so well, but it did seem they wisened up to what made the second season so bad - at least, at first. Aaron Paul is a ray of sunshine, as ever, and it starts out fairly enjoyable but by the last few episodes it all descends into annoyingly boring drivel. Not a show I'll be wasting any more time on.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm not sure I know how it's possible to make a show like Westworld become as boring as it did, but they somehow managed it. Anyway I'm not going to let a sci-fi conversation go without plugging the Expanse, which although I presume delayed, is about to have it's best season yet.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I've been binging through The Expanse and it's very good. I'm about halfway through season 4 (it's been my least favorite so far) and I'm still loving it. I've also been watching Hannibal and season 2 sure is weird! I just feel like it got a lot more up it's rear end. And it started with another stupid Hannibal fist fight, so not really digging that. I do kinda like the role reversal thing they got going on with Will and Lecter.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm enjoying Banshee for the most part but find myself fast forwarding through a lot of scenes that add nothing. It's weird how many characters look alike. The ex-partner and dead gangster wife are practically indistinguishable. Both main antagonists are old white man tv bad guys. The main dude and NY bad guy henchman look alike. Anyone who looks different (bowtie henchman, bitchy hacker, gay Mr Clean) is cartoonish and over the top. The only thing that really makes this show stand out is Antony Starr but I am enjoying it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I dunno. It seems possible you FFing through large portions of the show are the main contributing factor to you finding characters and actors that aren't that similar to be nearly indistinguishable.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

STAC Goat posted:

I dunno. It seems possible you FFing through large portions of the show are the main contributing factor to you finding characters and actors that aren't that similar to be nearly indistinguishable.

Doesn't seem possible to me or even likely. Have you seen the show and disagree with me or are you just arguing out of boredom? I have to guess the latter since you throw in the little straw man about large portions of the show.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

uh oh the glasses are coming off

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have. I don't consider the characters you said were similar terribly similar. And like... I think you might have listed the same character as two different ones but I'm not sure if "Gay Mr. Clean" is referring to Job or the Albino.

People process things differently. I don't think Rabbit/Proctor, Hood/Okek, or Carrie/the widow whose name I don't actually remember are all that similar at all but you might just feel differently than me. But it actually seems like a logical thing that if you're skipping "a lot of scenes" that you might be missing things that define and differentiate those characters. Banshee is first and foremost a character driven piece I think. There's a meta plot but it exists to set characters against each other. So I'm not sure I can actually think of "a lot of scenes" that don't add SOMETHING to those characters.

You obviously took my post more hostilly than I intended. I'm sorry for that since I probably worded it badly. By all means, watch tv as you see fit. I like Banshee but I definitely don't think its some kind of impeachable or universal show. But like that would be my guess as to why you're having such a problem defining the characters for yourself.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 11, 2020

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

STAC Goat posted:

I have. I don't consider the characters you said were similar terribly similar. And like... I think you might have listed the same character as two different ones but I'm not sure if "Gay Mr. Clean" is referring to Job or the Albino.

People process things differently. I don't think Rabbit/Proctor, Hood/Okek, or Carrie/the widow whose name I don't actually remember are all that similar at all but you might just feel differently than me. But it actually seems like a logical thing that if you're skipping "a lot of scenes" that you might be missing things that define and differentiate those characters. Banshee is first and foremost a character driven piece I think. There's a meta plot but it exists to set characters against each other. So I'm not sure I can actually think of "a lot of scenes" that don't add SOMETHING to those characters.

By all means, watch tv as you see fit. I like Banshee but I definitely don't think its some kind of impeachable or universal show.
But like that would be my guess as to why you're having such a problem defining the characters for yourself.

Thank you for permission to watch tv as I see fit. You being unsure about which characters I mean kinda proves my point thought.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

beanieson posted:

Me and my 8yo son watched all 160 something episodes of Batman The Animated Series and it loving rules as hard as I remember it.

If you have Disney+ you should give Gargoyles a try next

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

wormil posted:

Thank you for permission to watch tv as I see fit. You being unsure about which characters I mean kinda proves my point thought.

Me not being clear who one of your reductive nicknames for a character is describing doesn't really speak to the show's defining of them.

For whatever its worth, you replied before I added an explicit apology so I'll add it again. I wasn't intended to pick a fight or tell you you were watching TV wrong. You expressed a problem you seemed to be having with a TV show and I felt that the other thing you said might be connected. I probably worded it badly and carry responsibility in you taking it harsher than I intended. I'm sorry for that. I'm not looking for a fight.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

wormil posted:

Doesn't seem possible to me or even likely. Have you seen the show and disagree with me or are you just arguing out of boredom? I have to guess the latter since you throw in the little straw man about large portions of the show.

Good post/avatar combo

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

wormil posted:

Except not at all. There are two bald, possibly gay characters who might be your "Gay Mr. Clean." They look nothing alike beyond being bald, so it's a fair question to ask who you meant by that comment. The characters all look pretty freaking different to me and I don't know how you crap on a show's character work when it has the inestimable Frankie Faison doing his thing.

I do think the show has a reasonable gripe about having a disproportionate amount of beautiful women in it and very few within even the "average" camp much less unattractive, but even they all are very distinctive in appearance.

There's a lot to fuss at Banshee about - it's a seriously guilty pleasure for me given that I know I should hate it for the ludicrous amount of on-screen violence and the constant dangling of rape as a threat. But the "they all look alike" gripe is just not one.

mystes
May 31, 2006

This is really a thrilling derail.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Whomever has a dent in their forehead is gonna win this fight

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Meatgrinder posted:

Watched the third season of Westworld. Its creators clearly still haven't grasped why the first season was received so well, but it did seem they wisened up to what made the second season so bad - at least, at first. Aaron Paul is a ray of sunshine, as ever, and it starts out fairly enjoyable but by the last few episodes it all descends into annoyingly boring drivel. Not a show I'll be wasting any more time on.

yeah i gave up in the middle of ep 5 or so when i realised i no longer cared about any of the characters or the plot

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

drrockso20 posted:

If you have Disney+ you should give Gargoyles a try next

Oh poo poo, I’d completely forgotten about that show.

Thank you :wotwot:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

beanieson posted:

Oh poo poo, I’d completely forgotten about that show.

Thank you :wotwot:

Just remember to stop at the first episode of Season 3, also I can't remember if Disney+ has everything in the right order, so double check with Wikipedia to be sure

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

drrockso20 posted:

Just remember to stop at the first episode of Season 3, also I can't remember if Disney+ has everything in the right order, so double check with Wikipedia to be sure

Does it drop off? I haven’t seen it since I was 13 so it’s hard to judge quality. With Batman TAS for example, I’d completely forgotten that the later rebooted episodes with Tim Drake and Dick Grayson as Nightwing we’re actually a different series. The animation isn’t so great and a lot of the characters look different even though the voice actors are the same.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Wafflecopper posted:

yeah i gave up in the middle of ep 5 or so when i realised i no longer cared about any of the characters or the plot

I don't know why I sat through it. Lockdown, I guess. You sure missed out on a bunch of ominous music swelling over panned shots of staring faces and high school level philosophy debates, boy howdy!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

beanieson posted:

Does it drop off? I haven’t seen it since I was 13 so it’s hard to judge quality. With Batman TAS for example, I’d completely forgotten that the later rebooted episodes with Tim Drake and Dick Grayson as Nightwing we’re actually a different series. The animation isn’t so great and a lot of the characters look different even though the voice actors are the same.

Greg Weisman, one of the main people involved with Gargoyles got let go after the first episode of Season 3 and there's a very noticeable quality drop* off afterwards, accordingly both Weisman and the fandom in general tend to agree that the rest of Season 3 is non canon

*there's a couple lemons in Season 2 as well mind you, but overall more bearable there

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The End of the loving World season 2 is as good as the first. I appreciate that pretty much the whole season is about the trauma from the first season. They managed to retain the same tension, and it's so minimalist; they do a lot with very little. Great soundtrack too. I'm kind of sad that the creator said there won't be any more, but if that's the ending it's a really satisfying one.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've also been watching Hannibal and season 2 sure is weird! I just feel like it got a lot more up it's rear end.
Oh boy, if you feel like Hannibal is up its own rear end in the second season...

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

Oh boy, if you feel like Hannibal is up its own rear end in the second season...

Yeah I was gonna say, I liked it the whole way through but the marker for when Hannibal goes up its own rear end is generally considered to be season 3.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well, gives me something to look forward to then. I got like two more episodes to go. Also started The Man in the High Castle since I'm being forced to take a vacation next week. I figure between watching that and starting to play Kingdom Come: Deliverance I should be able to kill 9 days off in a row. Probably gonna go through a ton of edibles too.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Wafflecopper posted:

Personally, I was rooting for the computer.

Disappointed they didn't go all --
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkGsZ-qJ7uU

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
Watched Lil Dicky's show Dave in two separate bursts. Lil Dicky's music is all right I smile when I see his videos, never seek it out or anything but the show is great! Episode 5 Hype Man is one of the best episodes of TV I've seen in years.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Kicked Throat posted:

Watched Lil Dicky's show Dave in two separate bursts. Lil Dicky's music is all right I smile when I see his videos, never seek it out or anything but the show is great! Episode 5 Hype Man is one of the best episodes of TV I've seen in years.

Now just release full prison song

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

My wife loves Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel so I started watching those shows for the first time. We are watching them in chronological order, so once Angel started, it is Buffy Ep -> Angel Ep -> Repeat.

Currently on Season 5 of Buffy (2 on Angel), and I like Angel way more. He's actually the best part of his show, whereas Buffy is one of the worst characters on hers. All the other characters are much more interesting than Buffy herself, but it does suffer from every character having sarcastic dialogue to the point the lines don't really apply to a specific character.

Cordelia is amazing and my friend.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Meatgrinder posted:

Upload is as advertised: a good watch. It's got a decent pace, it's pretty witty, it's fairly upbeat and engaging... You'd think it'd be horribly derivative what with using a whole bunch of familiar elements from other shows, but it's actually got a unique feel to it. I did feel they could have added a little more to this season, plot wise; it's a bit too short, like a free sample, there's not a lot of satisfaction out of finishing it.

Still, I'll probably rewatch it at some point just for the details, because they put a lot in the background that is pretty funny.

Not sure what to think of this show, but haven't finished yet. I feel like it could be better. At times it has a real crappy feel to it. Other times it works well.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I just can't get into upload. It feels like The Asylum and the Hallmark Channel teamed up to adapt a William Gibson book into a sitcom.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I tried to like the end of the loving world, but it wasn't very interesting or good. Following two characters acting like aliens was fun for like 3 episodes then it got old

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Hizawk posted:

My wife loves Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel so I started watching those shows for the first time. We are watching them in chronological order, so once Angel started, it is Buffy Ep -> Angel Ep -> Repeat.

Currently on Season 5 of Buffy (2 on Angel), and I like Angel way more. He's actually the best part of his show, whereas Buffy is one of the worst characters on hers. All the other characters are much more interesting than Buffy herself, but it does suffer from every character having sarcastic dialogue to the point the lines don't really apply to a specific character.

Cordelia is amazing and my friend.

This continues. With the exception of a few episodes the last two seasons of Buffy and Angel are diametrically opposed in goodness. Now I think about it, Angel should have had seven seasonsand Buffy five.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I've been on a quarantine Timothy Olyphant binge watch spree.

Started with Deadwood and then the movie. Which was good/great. The characters and acting were amazing. George Hearst is an all time great villain and i couldn't get enough of Ian McShane as Al Swearengen, though it felt like every character was great. The general plot was really hard for me to follow, and I felt the payoffs were...not great. Still, an enjoyable ride and the movie was a great conclusion.

Right now I am on Season 5 of Justified and oh man am I having so much fun with this show. Season 1 was by far the weakest, as it was clear the writers were not quite sure what kind of show they wanted it to be. But Season 2 was something special and I've been hooked since. Timothy Olyphant just nails it as Raylan Givens and the show is the perfect mix of drama but also knows when to have fun with itself and its characters. I can't wait to see how it all wraps up.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Right now I am on Season 5 of Justified and oh man am I having so much fun with this show. Season 1 was by far the weakest, as it was clear the writers were not quite sure what kind of show they wanted it to be. But Season 2 was something special and I've been hooked since. Timothy Olyphant just nails it as Raylan Givens and the show is the perfect mix of drama but also knows when to have fun with itself and its characters. I can't wait to see how it all wraps up.

One of my favorite final scenes ever, thought it was just perfect.

The last scene with Ava was nicely done too.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Should I watch The Wire? My spouse is like 40 hours into 90 Day Fiancee and I want to get her hooked on something else.

Upload was good, not great but it has potential. After The Good Place the "afterlife drama" has a pretty high bar to clear. I did enjoy seeing Cigarette Smoking Man on TV again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Should I watch The Wire? My spouse is like 40 hours into 90 Day Fiancee and I want to get her hooked on something else.

Upload was good, not great but it has potential. After The Good Place the "afterlife drama" has a pretty high bar to clear. I did enjoy seeing Cigarette Smoking Man on TV again.

The wire is great, but it's a slow watch and every episode is a full hour. I've watched it multiple times and just started a rewatch with my wife. She can do like 1 every other day.