Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'm pretty sure Thief Sim VR has the option to lock to the horizon while inside vehicles. That usually helps with sim sickness, though the side effect is that it can look and feel a bit odd whenever your vehicle is on a steep incline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
My first live multiplayer match of Echo on the quest was like 80% obnoxious toxic teens. I did manage to regrab on the joust and fling myself at mach 10 deep into the enemy zone though, which was pretty funny

dromer fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 13, 2020

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Not only was Alyx fantastic, the music was 100% amazing the whole way through too. Here's the full soundtrack, I timestamped to my favorite track (track titles are fairly vague but could be slightly spoilery if you expand them. The video itself is just the title screen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WSvFIXoh5g&t=13347s

The video doesn't do justice to how good the music is in the game, it's reactive and transitions through different layers as you fight.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

dromer posted:

My first live multiplayer match of Echo on the quest was like 80% obnoxious toxic teens. I did manage to regrab on the joust and fling myself at mach 10 deep into the enemy zone though, which was pretty funny

Once you hit about level 20 or so, the screeching kids tend to phase out and you only see them in the lobby. Much more tolerable.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Zero VGS posted:

The video doesn't do justice to how good the music is in the game, it's reactive and transitions through different layers as you fight.

I wasn't really a fan of the music. It felt out of place in VR, every time it kicked in it reminded me that I was playing a game. It also deflated a lot of the tension because I knew an area was safe when the music stopped.

It probably wouldn't have bothered me in most VR games, but my overall immersion was so high that the non-diegetic music was jarring.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Oh yeah, another Echo tip:

Jumping, ducking and stepping around your space IRL will affect the position of your Echo character, so you can "jump over" other players, like so:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMKpCCQQFHc

In this one, I was just behind another player and traveling at the same speed, but I physically stepped forward, which inched my character up enough to grab the other player and boost myself ahead. Cheeky as hell, but legal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Nly8-av_ZQ

And this defensive play was as satisfying as any shot I ever made :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giZXPurwR7A

*grumble* I'm gonna have to buy a loving Quest eventually. Maybe I'll try it with the Index/Revive again and see if it stops pissing me off.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

dromer posted:

It gets better as you get better, most of the really annoying screechy people never actually really learn how to play, if it's getting in the way of enjoying the game you can go into the settings and turn the voice volume to 0, nothing wrong with just playing in silence for a while

Shine posted:

Oh yeah, another Echo tip:

Jumping, ducking and stepping around your space IRL will affect the position of your Echo character, so you can "jump over" other players, like so:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMKpCCQQFHc

In this one, I was just behind another player and traveling at the same speed, but I physically stepped forward, which inched my character up enough to grab the other player and boost myself ahead. Cheeky as hell, but legal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Nly8-av_ZQ

And this defensive play was as satisfying as any shot I ever made :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giZXPurwR7A

*grumble* I'm gonna have to buy a loving Quest eventually. Maybe I'll try it with the Index/Revive again and see if it stops pissing me off.

There's really nothing like Echo, it's visceral and meaty and punchy in a way seriously nothing else is it's so good

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

i stayed up until 130 am just watching these videos, super cool. i know ya'll are advanced VR havers and i'm still dipping my toes in, but i want to work out the "glasses" issue before i try to play a game or do longer sessions.

https://bigcatrescue.org/vr/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

TBH my first dumb google cardboard experience was still one of the most memorable VR memories I have. Going from GVR to a real VR 6dof is super nice but going from never having seen VR to being in a space with whales floating around my head was something I won't forget. Unlike anything I'd ever experienced.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I never even used the cardboard thing so its pretty drat immersive, especially with headphones. I notice it's more "whoa cool" with headphones off vs "I have to stop trying to touch the kitty"

Setup steamVR for WMR too and have been playing with that, the movement in Steam is much better than the MS "cliff house"

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

charity rereg posted:

i stayed up until 130 am just watching these videos, super cool. i know ya'll are advanced VR havers and i'm still dipping my toes in, but i want to work out the "glasses" issue before i try to play a game or do longer sessions.

https://bigcatrescue.org/vr/

Now that's what I call a murder simulator... can you feed your husband to the cats?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ITS THAT BITCH CAROL BASKIN!!!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
killed her husband, whacked him

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Martytoof posted:

TBH my first dumb google cardboard experience was still one of the most memorable VR memories I have. Going from GVR to a real VR 6dof is super nice but going from never having seen VR to being in a space with whales floating around my head was something I won't forget. Unlike anything I'd ever experienced.

Same here, when I got my DK1 and loaded up the Tuscany demo it just loving floored me.
That whole period was just awesome cos realistically no one apart from turbonerds even saw it coming, and I spent a good few months having just the best time with folk visiting just to try it and each and every time they were floored. Literally people's only frame of reference was Lawnmower Man.
One of my pals tried it on a coaster demo and all the way through he just kept saying 'nope, nope, nope' and when it was over he took the headset off, gave it me back and said 'Im' not having that' and never spoke of it again :v:

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

maybe im built for VR because i LOVE roller coasters IRL and it was literally the first thing I downloaded when I got WMR to load. then again i have never felt motion sick in my life, i am not sure what it even feels like. the only time i get any weirdness is glasses related, if the VR set isn't on right or is pushing my glasses out of alignment a good 3D effect gets kind of dizzying for a second, so i'm assuming it's like that feeling all the time?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

charity rereg posted:

maybe im built for VR because i LOVE roller coasters IRL and it was literally the first thing I downloaded when I got WMR to load. then again i have never felt motion sick in my life, i am not sure what it even feels like. the only time i get any weirdness is glasses related, if the VR set isn't on right or is pushing my glasses out of alignment a good 3D effect gets kind of dizzying for a second, so i'm assuming it's like that feeling all the time?

The DK1 didn't have positional head tracking so it made people violently ill :lol:
it also gave me VR legs of pure tungsten, but man there were some hairy moments back then

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I feel like starting out on a 3DOF headset (RIP Monoculus Rift) really makes you immune to most stuff.

Although I had the very same experience my first time in the Monoculus Rift. I was floored by just being able to look around and see things in real 3D, the lack of 6DOF didn't even play into it

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Me: The future of gaming has arrived, it's a new frontier!!!!

Also Me: Ooooh, they have Tetris on computers now...

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah I feel like starting out on a 3DOF headset (RIP Monoculus Rift) really makes you immune to most stuff.

Although I had the very same experience my first time in the Monoculus Rift. I was floored by just being able to look around and see things in real 3D, the lack of 6DOF didn't even play into it

There was something about the DK1 lenses, I am sure there are reasons they ditched them but they were not fresel and seemed huge and clear.
God rays just weren't a thing, like I say I am certain there are good reasons (the chromatic aberration could suck) they moved away from them but they seemed really good to me.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
https://twitter.com/pushmatrix/status/1260209543864356865?s=19

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKwYvIhc16M

You should have seen my face when the bold letters saying 'ROGUELIKE' appeared. Not sure horror is a good mix with roguelike, repetition normally will work against the horror angle.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

dromer posted:

Yeah once I hit level 9 the games improved dramatically, once you hit like level 10, you stop playing with anyone under level 5 (the screechy kid cutoff), yesterday I was ~level 12 and mostly playing with 9/10/11s and the "chase the Frisbee" problems reduced dramatically, people generally know what they're doing, etc etc game experience improved by at least 100%

My guess is that screechy young kids will play anything free once, and then move on to the next free game to try that thing and just keep rotating through the entry level of the endless supply of free to play games. Seems like the screechy young kids lose interest around level 4 or 5 and drop off completely by level 10

TL;DR as the other guy said just mute people everyone until you get to like level 6

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My quarantine home remodel project has come along far enough now that I was able to set it up for VR and go for a test run. Went from a wee little 4x6 area in front of my couch to this:

15’x20’, it’s so awesome. Reaching the limits of being tethered at that point, although I’ll be moving my computer closer which will get me an extra 5’ or so of reach.

I don’t think I want to dedicate the space to VR permanently, but at least for now, furniture shopping is pretty much on hold, so the room will remain completely empty. You can see one lighthouse at the far corner, and I’m standing almost underneath the other for this pic. Outlets happened to be directly beneath (like, the lighthouses are mounted on the same stud as the outlet) so that worked out great.

Also, Fisherman’s Tale was really cool, just got out of that. And this space was JUST right for it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Oculus enabled the ability to use USB 2.0 cables and ports with the Quest's Link functionality at some recent point. Previously USB 3.0 was a hard requirement. 3.0 is still recommended and presumably there are edge cases that could cause issues.

Many are reporting success even with the included Quest charging cable with little to no difference from the official thing. If you have a Quest and a VR capable PC with a USB-C port or some kind of C->A adapter, it's worth a shot.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 14, 2020

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Bad Munki posted:

My quarantine home remodel project has come along far enough now that I was able to set it up for VR and go for a test run. Went from a wee little 4x6 area in front of my couch to this:

15’x20’, it’s so awesome. Reaching the limits of being tethered at that point, although I’ll be moving my computer closer which will get me an extra 5’ or so of reach.

I don’t think I want to dedicate the space to VR permanently, but at least for now, furniture shopping is pretty much on hold, so the room will remain completely empty. You can see one lighthouse at the far corner, and I’m standing almost underneath the other for this pic. Outlets happened to be directly beneath (like, the lighthouses are mounted on the same stud as the outlet) so that worked out great.

Also, Fisherman’s Tale was really cool, just got out of that. And this space was JUST right for it.

I extended my Index cable by 6' with a passive dp extension made by Cable Matters.. no sparkles or static

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, and it’s something I’ve talked about in this thread before. That being said, my monitor (which isn’t moving) is only on a 6’ cable, so there’s no reason I can’t just move the PC closer with a slightly longer cable and not even futz with pushing limits on either device. The layout is hard to describe, but it works.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

SCheeseman posted:

Oculus enabled the ability to use USB 2.0 cables and ports with the Quest's Link functionality at some recent point. Previously USB 3.0 was a hard requirement. 3.0 is still recommended and presumably there are edge cases that could cause issues.

Many are reporting success even with the included Quest charging cable with little to no difference from the official thing. If you have a Quest and a VR capable PC with a USB-C port or some kind of C->A adapter, it's worth a shot.

Oh poo poo, I'll try this out tonight and see how it goes.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm getting back into skyrim vr again, a big player in this playthrough is this combat mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jikcRgLNr0

You siphon spells from the world, the living and the dead and combo the spells for more damage. You can also imbue the element in you to add element damage to your weapon and do a few different things. On top of this, VRIK has gesture based hotkeys, along with its holster system. I can switch between all kinds of spells and weapons without having to open the menu at all. VR is the future.

Also VRIK has finger tracking, while I don't have the fancy controllers for full articulation I can still poke Lydia's forehead when she sarcastically mentions that she is sworn to bear my burdens.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

SCheeseman posted:

Bandwidth-wise there shouldn't be a difference at all (with the bandwidth Link requires), maybe there's slightly higher latency with USB2. Both are still lower latency than wireless streaming so it seems odd that USB3 was ever a requirement.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Leal posted:

I'm getting back into skyrim vr again, a big player in this playthrough is this combat mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jikcRgLNr0

You siphon spells from the world, the living and the dead and combo the spells for more damage. You can also imbue the element in you to add element damage to your weapon and do a few different things. On top of this, VRIK has gesture based hotkeys, along with its holster system. I can switch between all kinds of spells and weapons without having to open the menu at all. VR is the future.

Also VRIK has finger tracking, while I don't have the fancy controllers for full articulation I can still poke Lydia's forehead when she sarcastically mentions that she is sworn to bear my burdens.

Hey thanks for this, I'm going to dive into Skyrim VR for the first time. I tried it when it first came out but decided to wait for the mods to catch up and never made it back. Now I'm rocking the Index though hell yeah.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Alright I can agree that Echo VR is a ton of fun. I used that jumping trick to grab the disc a couple of times.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
VR is the future

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Puddin posted:

Oh poo poo, I'll try this out tonight and see how it goes.

Well, I guess it both does and doesn't work for me.

Only using the cable that came with the Quest, it passes the test in the Oculus software, and will launch link perfectly fine. Picks up some of the VR compatible games put when I launch anything it just gives me a launch icon on the headset, programs load on the pc screen but then comes up with a HMD not supported.

Hopefully its just teething problems being in beta, but it definitely works to some degree.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

That doesn't seem like a Link issue. If Dash works, Link works.

Are you trying to run SteamVR games? You have to enable unknown sources when attempting to run anything outside of the Oculus store.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

SCheeseman posted:

That doesn't seem like a Link issue. If Dash works, Link works.

Are you trying to run SteamVR games? You have to enable unknown sources when attempting to run anything outside of the Oculus store.

Yeah that setting was already on. I can run things fine from Virtual Desktop via Wi-Fi, but for example Dirt 2, which shows up in the Oculus dash, though its purchased through Steam, I select it, can see the loading screen on the HMD, loads on the pc but with a HMD not found error.

I'll give everything a power cycle and try it again.

Actually it seems to be getting stuck on Steam VR trying to get me to set its chaperone details, buts its getting hung up cause I obviously don't have base stations.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 14, 2020

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Some stuff in SteamVR will get pissy if you don't launch it from the SteamVR home app. I think Dirt Rally 2 is one of those games.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

njsykora posted:

Some stuff in SteamVR will get pissy if you don't launch it from the SteamVR home app. I think Dirt Rally 2 is one of those games.

It seems like it. Elite Dangerous works fine if I load it from the dash, Dirt Rally 2 pulls up chaperone if I choose SteamVR version, and a does not support your headset error and loads in flatscreen if I choose the OculusVR option.

Is there any workaround to bypass the chaperone setup? I can open up SteamVR through Virtual Desktop and it works fine, but through link its not even showing up in the Oculus dash.

It's not a huge deal if i cant get it working anyways, just would be nice to have.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If you're using Link it shouldn't be asking to set that stuff up because it should see the headset as a Rift S, not an Index and know you're already using Guardian. Certainly it never asked me to set that up.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Yeah it's just all really wierd. Like I said I can access it it fine through VD so I'll stick with that.

Tried reinstalling steam as well but that didn't help.

I'll keep on messing around with it at other points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

TETRIS. EFFECT. QUEST.
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/...aaFLXN7vCUooOVL