Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The problem is designing a workload for a cloud provider and not taking into account that we’re are many more efficient and cost effective ways to do it. Instead it sounds like they just threw some poo poo in vm’s without any regard for the platform they were designing for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Methanar posted:

Using technologies that the devs are familiar with rather than going hogwild on a nosql db for the sake of it isn't a bad thing.

Why do you care if they use aurora or dynamodb

I am fine with what you are familiar with as long as it makes reasonable sense. I didn't say nosql, I said SQL. As in SQL enterprise... in aws.

Not even a lift and shift because of other plans gone wrong. A brand new product, a new project.

No.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Do you have other poo poo running there or is this a first run?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

jaegerx posted:

Do you have other poo poo running there or is this a first run?

We have other products living in aws that were built for aws. Just a million different independent dev teams , not under a single umbrella of leadership.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Ah that just seems like half assing it to meet a deadline then. Go with what you know and call it production. gently caress em

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
Let me know if there's a better place to put this question.

Sanity check: Is the fact that any time we create a new Azure subscription, we also have to update the routing tables of all existing subscriptions to get to it excessive? Or is it not that bad, as my co-worker says?

Apparently there is some gotcha where Azure ignores default routes if you have an ExpressRoute.

I'm trying to build out automation for Subscription creation behind a UI (that will also handle all the associated backend internal processes, like setting up billing, e-mail lists, routing, notifications, logging, etc.) and it makes me leery that we have to touch all the other production subscriptions' routing tables in the process of creating new subscriptions.

I'm also not sure what the "best" way to go about doing this would be. Just sending the "add route" API call seems the least error prone, but my co-worker is correct that using ARM templates is more self-documenting, I just don't know how robust doing in-lace edits of those and pushing them is.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Sickening posted:

I didn't say nosql, I said SQL. As in SQL enterprise... in aws.

Just say MSSQL. The ISO has not standardised an enterprise version of SQL.

Anyone using MSSQL should be sectioned, FWIW.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Antigravitas posted:

I work in finance. The volume of software that requires not only MSSQL, but a specific version of MSSQL (usually 2014 or 2016, sometimes 2012) is unconscionable.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

cheque_some posted:

Let me know if there's a better place to put this question.

Sanity check: Is the fact that any time we create a new Azure subscription, we also have to update the routing tables of all existing subscriptions to get to it excessive? Or is it not that bad, as my co-worker says?

Apparently there is some gotcha where Azure ignores default routes if you have an ExpressRoute.

I'm trying to build out automation for Subscription creation behind a UI (that will also handle all the associated backend internal processes, like setting up billing, e-mail lists, routing, notifications, logging, etc.) and it makes me leery that we have to touch all the other production subscriptions' routing tables in the process of creating new subscriptions.

I'm also not sure what the "best" way to go about doing this would be. Just sending the "add route" API call seems the least error prone, but my co-worker is correct that using ARM templates is more self-documenting, I just don't know how robust doing in-lace edits of those and pushing them is.

If you're using expressroute you have to set up your own routing tables. You should be able to configure the static routes in an ARM template when deploying the routing table object, you shouldn't have to make an API call every time. Sorry, I can't be specific without asking you for specifics which I don't like doing on a public forum, but PM me anytime.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Thanatosian posted:

I work in finance. The volume of software that requires not only MSSQL, but a specific version of MSSQL (usually 2014 or 2016, sometimes 2012) is unconscionable.

Case in point. :v:

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

At my company, the controller/accountant still does some accounting in Peachtree 2007... So yeah, I have to support that. Also she uses a super ancient version of Quicken for the CEO's personal accounting. The Quicken version is so old that it can't print under Windows 7 or higher.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

CloFan posted:

80% of my server infra was installed over a decade ago, and virtualization is a foreign concept here. We don't have a huge workload, so I'm looking at Hyperconvergence..

Have any of you ever used Scale Computing? https://www.scalecomputing.com/ I met them at a conference last year and was real impressed by their product and all their customers that I spoke with had nothing but good things to say.

It works... But you have to go through Scale for everything. Thought it was pretty expensive for what they were offering.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

stevewm posted:

At my company, the controller/accountant still does some accounting in Peachtree 2007... So yeah, I have to support that. Also she uses a super ancient version of Quicken for the CEO's personal accounting. The Quicken version is so old that it can't print under Windows 7 or higher.

My dad may still have an old 486/66 with Quickbooks from 95 that he still does his company books on. I used to have to do his data entry and he'd keep a couple 3.5 floppies in a firesafe has his backups.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
What is it that possesses people to drop fat @heres in giant channels over nothing. I don't even like doing the barest of notifications when I'm doing a maintenance event.

quote:

@here
thank you

like come on

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Methanar posted:

What is it that possesses people to drop fat @heres in giant channels over nothing. I don't even like doing the barest of notifications when I'm doing a maintenance event.

like come on

@channel gets me. gently caress those people.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This is what happens when a weekly poker game between IT nerds becomes a bitter rivalry.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Antigravitas posted:

FWIW In a like for like workload test involving large data sets (1 billion+ rows) RDS SQL Server blew the doors off of RDS MySQL, RDS Postgres and Aurora MySQL for inserts and selects of 2+ joins.

Once you get used to the peculiarities of RDS SQL Server it really is a kickass platform.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

My last employer's software required a specific version of MSSQL and a specific version of CouchDB.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Had to set up, well more reassure, the President of the hospital could talk to CNN through her computer and to install Zoom.

I get there and she followed the link she was emailed and it has a Jabber window up with the camera clearly working. It's a Cisco product now, huh whatever. It's working fine but I want to look good and give her peace of mind so I go looking for a client download. I can't, only available with account and license. gently caress it, I'm not wasting any more time on this. I tell her everything's fine and basically reassure her what they sent is best to use. I make a show of testing the microphone and even playing with camera angles for her. She's happy. I leave. Someone I thought was there with us emails, also needing reassurances that everything's fine. They ask for someone to standby, they get one (only by 30 mins more for him at least). I leave.

Turn on CNN at the appointed time, and there she is. Picture and sound totally fine. She sounds palpably nervous. Being that she and everyone around her were freaked out to the point of utter disbelief that the document before them could possibly contain the correct instructions, what else could she be but nervous? There had to be another way, IT must have the extra special way to do it.

If I felt like being a GIGANTIC douchbag (and you can tell, I kind of feel like one), I could go back into the work log. "Resolution: User's setup is confirmed as correct. Confirmation attained via international television broadcast. Please stop giving me poo poo to do this late in the day and holding me and other people overtime because people can't trust instructions anymore."

It was kind of cool to be there though, she and her EA were composed but like, palpably excited and nervous.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Should have set up a virtual camera pointing to a public kitten feed

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Agrikk posted:

FWIW In a like for like workload test involving large data sets (1 billion+ rows) RDS SQL Server blew the doors off of RDS MySQL, RDS Postgres and Aurora MySQL for inserts and selects of 2+ joins.

Once you get used to the peculiarities of RDS SQL Server it really is a kickass platform.

You can get Oracle to perform pretty well, too. But even Oracle doesn't pretend their product is synonymous with the SQL standard.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
But what about

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
If it's one thing quarantine has taught me, it's that apparently I have a "business sweatshirt."

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

If it's one thing quarantine has taught me, it's that apparently I have a "business sweatshirt."

Yes. It's the one with the company logo on it that you'd never wear outside the house.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The clothing you're looking for is Business Underwear

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Microsoft posted:

EX212990 - All users may be unable to access the Exchange Online service
Service degradation
User impact:
Users may have been unable to sign in to Outlook on the web.
Latest message:
Title: All users may be unable to access the Exchange Online service User Impact: Users may be unable to sign in to the Exchange Online service. More info: Users may encounter an error with the following message: "AADSTS50011: The reply URL specified in the request does not match the reply URLs configured for the application: 'e48d4214-364e-4731-b2b6-47dabf529218'". Current status: Additional investigation determined that a recent change contained a code regression that resulted in authentication failures within the Outlook on the web. We've disabled the deployment and are currently in the process of rolling the affected change back to mitigate impact. Scope of impact: This issue may potentially affect any user. Root cause: A recent change included a code regression that resulted in users experiencing authentication failures. Next update by: Wednesday, May 13, 2020, at 8:00 PM UTC

Hell yeah the cloud strikes again!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

devmd01 posted:

Now is the time to go to r/sysadmin and read the knee slappers replies.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

devmd01 posted:

Lmao

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sickening posted:

Now is the time to go to r/sysadmin and read the knee slappers replies.

You should admin postfix yourself and store all the mailboxes on a sam-sd

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Thanks Ants posted:

You should admin postfix yourself and store all the mailboxes on a sam-sd

My dude have you heard the good word of Zimbra

(I remember when VMware went whole hog on this and backed out of it after like 2 years, that was some funny poo poo)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Super Soaker Party! posted:

My dude have you heard the good word of Zimbra

(I remember when VMware went whole hog on this and backed out of it after like 2 years, that was some funny poo poo)

I actually had zimbra like 5-7 years ago. It was alright I guess?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I had a team reach out to me today to make design decisions today about permissions to an environment. Not just hey, this is what we purpose do you think this is okay? Not to audit, but to actually to tell them who in their project will have access to what. While this isn't impossible, seems incredibly impractical at the infancy of a project.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Sickening posted:

I had a team reach out to me today to make design decisions today about permissions to an environment. Not just hey, this is what we purpose do you think this is okay? Not to audit, but to actually to tell them who in their project will have access to what. While this isn't impossible, seems incredibly impractical at the infancy of a project.

They're just trying to get advance notice on who won't have access to what, so that those people can have access to those things in the shadow version of that project. :haw:

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Can I trouble you to explain the joke? I'm not sure what he meant by that

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Umbreon posted:

Can I trouble you to explain the joke? I'm not sure what he meant by that

I assume it's just the general amusement/sardonic pleasure whenever a cloud service falls over, because everyone is so gung ho about the cloud and imagines it's just a magical fairyland where things always work all the time and nothing ever breaks, as opposed to "it's just a bunch of servers in a datacenter run by some company and like any IT service it will always have errors and downtime". But CXOs won't ever listen to reality because THE CLOUD.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Super Soaker Party! posted:

I assume it's just the general amusement/sardonic pleasure whenever a cloud service falls over, because everyone is so gung ho about the cloud and imagines it's just a magical fairyland where things always work all the time and nothing ever breaks, as opposed to "it's just a bunch of servers in a datacenter run by some company and like any IT service it will always have errors and downtime". But CXOs won't ever listen to reality because THE CLOUD.

It's this.

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
One of my managers just asked for a recommendation for a "universal docking station for laptops". Like, a universal charge station that works for every laptop.

This isn't a thing, right?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

One of my managers just asked for a recommendation for a "universal docking station for laptops". Like, a universal charge station that works for every laptop.

This isn't a thing, right?

If they have thunderbolt or USBC then sure.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

If they have thunderbolt or USBC then sure.

with the caveat that they are all terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I got one of the new HP USB-C docks and while it's like $175 loving dollars, it actually works great. Once I firmware upgraded it.

https://www.amazon.com/HP-5TW10UT-ABA-USB-C-Dock/dp/B07X69HY5K