Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

To be fair, there are many valid points (and some really stupid points) in those pictures. Problem is that the idiots posting them don't understand even the basics anyway, so it doesn't matter if some points are correct.
However, improperly used gear will at best negate the point of using them, and at worst do more harm than good. Gloves are pointless unless you use them for a specific task and then remove them. It's much better to frequently wash your hands and use sanitizer. When we go into rooms with COVID19 patients we wear gloves and then remove them (and all the other protective gear in a strict order) before going outside the room (and wash our hands). You see all these people walking around touching everything with their drat gloves (their shopping, phones, face, wallet, etc) because of the false sense of security.

I agree, there's a reason PPE training is a thing. What frustrates me is the same guy was posting two months ago like this was the end of the world and made sure to mention his guns and ammo in every post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MrOnBicycle posted:

To be fair, there are many valid points (and some really stupid points) in those pictures. Problem is that the idiots posting them don't understand even the basics anyway, so it doesn't matter if some points are correct.
However, improperly used gear will at best negate the point of using them, and at worst do more harm than good. Gloves are pointless unless you use them for a specific task and then remove them. It's much better to frequently wash your hands and use sanitizer. When we go into rooms with COVID19 patients we wear gloves and then remove them (and all the other protective gear in a strict order) before going outside the room (and wash our hands). You see all these people walking around touching everything with their drat gloves (their shopping, phones, face, wallet, etc) because of the false sense of security.

I've heard stories about people dying from leaving their masks on too long as well from lack of oxygen and/or carbon monoxide. One story was some old guy in his car wearing a mask that crashed and killed someone else, and another one about some kids in Korea wearing masks during gym class or some poo poo. Not sure if the stories are true but it sounds like people wearing an N95 mask 24/7 out of fear could be a problem

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I've heard stories about people dying from leaving their masks on too long as well from lack of oxygen and/or carbon monoxide. One story was some old guy in his car wearing a mask that crashed and killed someone else, and another one about some kids in Korea wearing masks during gym class or some poo poo. Not sure if the stories are true but it sounds like people wearing an N95 mask 24/7 out of fear could be a problem

That too. I can't find any exact data, but they are single use so very likely they'll be "saturated" by the end of the day anyway. The air flow restriction is absolutely a real thing and the FDA warns people who are already at risk from using them too long.
I saw two old people sitting with surgical masks in their car while driving yesterday...

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Just got an email for the Hot Rod Power Tour gold pass waiting list is signed up for. They pushed it from June to August this year but nope even if the car is done that is way to soon to drive 3500 miles around the mid west.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

blk posted:

How much is everyone actually driving these days? I think I'm down to 100 miles/month.

I go into the office once a week for hands-on stuff, 12 miles each way, and very occasional trips to the store as needed. So probably around 100 miles/month. And I'm rotating 3 cars so they keep fresh(er). Been a month or more since I bought gas, which is almost a pity, it being so cheap.

Trickly chargers: I had good luck with the $5 Harbor Freight unit, with one caveat: make sure you check the water/acid level regularly if it sits a lot, and has a constant discharge/recharge, like if you have an alarm on the car. I killed the battery in my Cutlass by not checking it. The constant drain from the alarm and recharge by the trickle charger made it dry. It took a couple years, mind you.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I completely didn't drive between March 1 and May 2, which is probably the longest I've gone without driving in the last couple of years.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

blk posted:

How much is everyone actually driving these days? I think I'm down to 100 miles/month.

Last two weeks? 0. Today? Over 150km so far, more to go.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

hello friends

wfh owns so hard

also 2nd childe should be arriving either this week or next

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I'm also driving 30 miles a day because even though I'm allowed to work from home I can't build a machine there.

Previa_fun posted:

Here's a teaser. This is actually someone I used to work with who is way off the deep end. Surely people on the front lines are more sane...

Oh. Well he's right I mean viruses are small but masks aren't used to protect the wearer either...

I touched the poo on Facebook over this concept, people are so loving ignorant. Just because something sounds like it makes sense doesn't make it fact, yet this poo poo spreads like crazy. What makes me super angry is how arrogant the people spreading it get, when they're 100% wrong. I'm only going to get in to it here because people here actually listen.

I worked for 6 years designing medical lab equipment which had filters for pathogens. Yes pathogens are small. This also means they have almost no inertia and are subject to microscopic forces, electrostatic and things like that. They almost never travel alone and when they do they don't travel far. You would be surprised at how effective even a lovely wide open filter is at trapping pathogens. Pathogens are attached to dust, droplets, skin flakes, hair, etc. You know, things that are super easy for even a loose filter to pick up. So yeah, that's why a mask is effective. It's not stopping the virus. It's stopping the stuff that's carrying the virus. We used filter material designed for laying down under landscaping to stop the growth of weeds, and it was over 99% effective at barring loving tuberculosis from getting through it.

So to debunk the meme, think of it like this: Putting up a chainlink fence to stop mosquitoes will work because in this case all the mosquitoes can't fly and jump on to the baseballs and basketballs that are rolling across the field. The fence stops those just loving fine.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 13, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

meatpimp posted:

I've got a couple cars that are outside and barely driven at all. So I just looked at Amazon for a solar charger.

It's interesting to see how prices are reacting to the current state of affairs. Random solar charger on Amazon is up 25% over just a few months ago. Looks like lots of people have cars that aren't staying topped up.

For what it's worth, I used this controller and this panel. Both are the same price as when I bought them, the controller is in stock for rapid delivery, but the panel is listed a few weeks out.

It was a fun day soldering project (i.e., not plug & play), but has worked great ever since. I have one in each of two cars and they both stay fully charged just based on the panel sitting on the dash.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

LloydDobler posted:

I'm also driving 30 miles a day because even though I'm allowed to work from home I can't build a machine there.

I touched the poo on Facebook over this concept, people are so loving ignorant. Just because something sounds like it makes sense doesn't make it fact, yet this poo poo spreads like crazy. What makes me super angry is how arrogant the people spreading it get, when they're 100% wrong. I'm only going to get in to it here because people here actually listen.

I worked for 6 years designing medical lab equipment which had filters for pathogens. Yes pathogens are small. This also means they have almost no inertia and are subject to microscopic forces, electrostatic and things like that. They almost never travel alone and when they do they don't travel far. You would be surprised at how effective even a lovely wide open filter is at trapping pathogens. Pathogens are attached to dust, droplets, skin flakes, hair, etc. You know, things that are super easy for even a loose filter to pick up. So yeah, that's why a mask is effective. It's not stopping the virus. It's stopping the stuff that's carrying the virus. We used filter material designed for laying down under landscaping to stop the growth of weeds, and it was over 99% effective at barring loving tuberculosis from getting through it.

So to debunk the meme, think of it like this: Putting up a chainlink fence to stop mosquitoes will work because in this case all the mosquitoes can't fly and jump on to the baseballs and basketballs that are rolling across the field. The fence stops those just loving fine.

Additionally (you probably know this already but just in case) the n95s are rated that way because that's their minimum filtration efficiency at around 300nm particle size. Due to the electret media type you mentioned they actually get more effective below that minimum efficiency point at the rated size, not less effective.

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/409903O/respiratory-protection-against-biohazards.pdf

The graph is on page 5.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Found out through work that we're going be essentially meatless, at least raw meats, within 2 weeks. Likely sooner. Frozen meats not too far behind, deli will probably be the last.

Guess I'm gonna go stock up on chicken breasts and ground beef tomorrow.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

2nd childe should be arriving either this week or next

You haven't figured out what causes them yet?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STR posted:

Found out through work that we're going be essentially meatless, at least raw meats, within 2 weeks. Likely sooner. Frozen meats not too far behind, deli will probably be the last.

Glad I'm sitting on a hundred pounds of chicken and beef now. poo poo's about to go all wrong isn't it.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

hello friends

wfh owns so hard

:toot: this is good news.

I am driving maybe the same? A fair bit of that has been recreational driving though which also owns when people are not driving because wide open roads and fun cars are very fun.

I don't post political things on facebook and I almost never comment on other peoples political comments because it is not worth the emotional energy. I just want to go see pictures of my friends and their kids/dogs and car stuff. Scrolling past the stupid takes less effort than participating in the madness.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Rhyno posted:

Glad I'm sitting on a hundred pounds of chicken and beef now. poo poo's about to go all wrong isn't it.

It certainly will if you eat it in one sitting

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Goober Peas posted:

It certainly will if you eat it in one sitting

That sounds like a challenge.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Rhyno posted:

That sounds like a challenge.

I'll keep an eye on radar for the mushroom cloud coming from Fart Wayne

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Rhyno posted:

poo poo's about to go all wrong isn't it.

Depends on your point of view. A large part of the current problem with people not taking this seriously enough is pain hasn't been inflicted across the board.

Start taking things away and they might take notice. Its one thing when "everyone" being impacted are poors, brown people, olds and those with compromised immune systems. Its another when Meal Team 6's supply of chicken tenders and double cheeseburgers is threatened.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Well you're supposed to eat it not sit on it :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I could have bought more if I had more room. And good luck finding a large freezer in stock anywhere.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Somewhat Heroic posted:

:toot: this is good news.
oh also i got a 75% raise in the middle of a pandemic and given 2 weeks paternity leave so i dont have to burn vacation, so that also owns

so yeah other than all the bullshit in the world that is melting my brain, at least i have a bunch of cool and good things going on to put some ice on it, which is nice

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Geoj posted:

Its another when Meal Team 6's supply of chicken tenders and double cheeseburgers is threatened.

I mean... I went to Wendy's the other day, and they were out of beef.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

STR posted:

You haven't figured out what causes them yet?

We've got a small amount of meat in the freezer, but by and large we don't have enough space to store very much. I'm experimenting with Beyond sausages and mince as drop-in replacements for some of our common recipes. Very interested to see how meat unavailability shakes out.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Mazel tov!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

STR posted:

I mean... I went to Wendy's the other day, and they were out of beef.

gently caress...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Safety Dance posted:

Very interested to see how meat unavailability shakes out.

I've gone vegetarian before, I just don't have many good vegetarian recipes outside of a lot of bean recipes. I was relying on the vegan cafeteria at my university, and the multitude of vegetarian restaurants around campus.

You.. don't want to be around me after I devour 5 bowls of the amazing beans I've been making with one of those recipes for several years.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

congrats!

I was WFH / heavy, heavy travel schedule previously so I would say that my overall driving is down a bit, maybe 25-50% less? Even in normal times my wife and I were doing maybe 8k miles/year total. Haven't bought gas in two months but that's not so far out of the ordinary.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Self-isolation is over and my first day back working I slip on my back porch stairs and twist the gently caress out of my ankle...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i've been bitten by the AW11 bug again help

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
no

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I was on a training course in London at the back end of last year and every morning I stopped and gazed longingly at the utterly perfect little black AW11 parked out front marvelling that it had been seemingly untouched by rot. It was definitely someone's pride and joy.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

I could have bought more if I had more room. And good luck finding a large freezer in stock anywhere.

We're 170th on the list with our local appliance store. Expected delivery: July.
Doesn't matter, we've been planning on buying one for a year, and COVID isn't really changing the need.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Prius swap it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Speaking of second-gen Supras... Dad sent me a link to this one on BaT saying it was just like his. Well, it's close. His was an '82 in Terra Cotta instead of red, so it didn't have headlight washers and the rear decal was a small one on the right side that read "Celica Supra," but it's damned close.

Can't be many of these around left in this condition.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1984-toyota-celica-supra-8/

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

meatpimp posted:

Speaking of second-gen Supras... Dad sent me a link to this one on BaT saying it was just like his. Well, it's close. His was an '82 in Terra Cotta instead of red, so it didn't have headlight washers and the rear decal was a small one on the right side that read "Celica Supra," but it's damned close.

:piss: that thing is clean. the interior, my god.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Watching Skid Factory?

meatpimp posted:

I always thought the Mk II Supra is what Inspector Gadget's van transformed into. Such a awesome looking car. Pity it was somewhat crap to drive but well.... you could say that for so many early 80's wedges.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Wow. Buddy of mine had a black one back in the day and it was a sweet car. Pretty fast with a manual at that time too.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Grow to 6'4" or so, it helps*

*absolutely not the slightest loving bit, I want a built 4A-GE with a little turbo like nobody's business but I'm like 8 inches too big

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Krakkles posted:

For what it's worth, I used this controller and this panel. Both are the same price as when I bought them, the controller is in stock for rapid delivery, but the panel is listed a few weeks out.

It was a fun day soldering project (i.e., not plug & play), but has worked great ever since. I have one in each of two cars and they both stay fully charged just based on the panel sitting on the dash.

Hm, I might have to get one of these for my stupid Miata that hasn't moved in a month. How complicated was the soldering? I once modded an original Xbox console that involved a mod chip roughly the size of a pencil eraser & 8 micro-solders and am relatively dexterous/capable of putting poo poo together, but I'm not a very regular solder-er and have a pretty mediocre iron...

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ether Frenzy posted:

Hm, I might have to get one of these for my stupid Miata that hasn't moved in a month. How complicated was the soldering? I once modded an original Xbox console that involved a mod chip roughly the size of a pencil eraser & 8 micro-solders and am relatively dexterous/capable of putting poo poo together, but I'm not a very regular solder-er and have a pretty mediocre iron...
Not at all - if I'm remembering right, it's just attaching two wires that go to the panel. I think I over complicated it because I attached a connector to the panel so that I could unplug it, but you don't need to do that. The controller does want the battery connected before the panel, but you can accomplish this by just covering the panel when not in use (i.e., stick it in a bag).

You could definitely crimp it instead. I'd even consider wire nuts at this point, since it's presumably sitting in a driveway and not being driven.

I know we're local, I'd offer to help you if ... ya know. We weren't in the middle of a quarantine. I'll help you solder it together after this if you want to wire nut it for now :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

That Supra is giving me the urge to look for 70’s/80’s rwd hatchbacks with the idea of making some retro future hot hatches. Modern suspension and turbo 4 in some of the surprisingly lightweight deadly cars of the time.