Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

And now..

A Stamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
I'm totally buying those stamps.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I honestly didn't even considered that the postal service can't also offer banking services.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So is America just basically

Common sense people: "Hey, here's something that would benefit everyone with no real loss to anyone!"

The United States of America: "NO" *faaaaaaart*

Am I missing something maybe?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Stare-Out posted:

So is America just basically

Common sense people: "Hey, here's something that would benefit everyone with no real loss to anyone!"

The United States of America: "NO" *faaaaaaart*

Am I missing something maybe?

No, that's a misconception popularized by the ruling elite. Public institutions in the US have overwhelming public support, but a very wealthy cabal of billionaires hates that poor people get (almost) free stuff so they kill every social program they can.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So yes, but in a more nuanced way. The US is making it really hard for me to flaunt my European freedoms without feeling super lovely about it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Stare-Out posted:

So yes, but in a more nuanced way. The US is making it really hard for me to flaunt my European freedoms without feeling super lovely about it.

Yeah, it's just really important to understand that this is all down to the opinions of the richest 400 men in the country and public opinion does not factor into their decision at all.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I always knew that but it's so hosed that it had turned into a joke unto itself into my mind. It's left for the rest of us in the world to look at the US with a strong mix of amusement, bafflement and abject horror. It would be nice to be able to feel superiority too but that's not in the cards.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yeah, it's just really important to understand that this is all down to the opinions of the richest 400 men in the country and public opinion does not factor into their decision at all.

I don’t usually emptyquote, but this is the exact reason.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

No, that's a misconception popularized by the ruling elite. Public institutions in the US have overwhelming public support, but a very wealthy cabal of billionaires hates that poor people get (almost) free stuff so they kill every social program they can.
It's not just the poors freeloading but also "drat, if I could own the USPS, maybe I could finally be as rich as Bezos!"

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

gently caress the poor, but also gently caress all the other rich guys because I'm not as rich as them.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Josh Lyman posted:

It's not just the poors freeloading but also "drat, if I could own the USPS, maybe I could finally be as rich as Bezos!"

It’s mainly this, the 2006 bill was a tactic known as “starve the beast.” Making them have 75 goddamned years of benefits on hand was explicitly to break them, so that the commentariat could point to the now-floundering service and bellow: “See?! The government is incompetent! Only the glorious free market can innovate!”

Hard to say that the government service is bad if they’re well in the green every year. So they put an unrealistic burden on them to make what’s happening now possible. The whole thing about raising rates and Amazon is just blather to cover their end-game.

Note that John didn’t mention removal of the ridiculous funding requirements as a solution to the problem.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Im sorry as a dallas... person 'Dallas's' hit me weird. It should be Dallas' , should it not?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Im sorry as a dallas... person 'Dallas's' hit me weird. It should be Dallas' , should it not?
It depends on the style guide you're following but both are acceptable.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I always learned only plurals get the apostrophe at the end but all I see now is popping the apostrophe on the end if the noun ends in an S whether it's a plural or not.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Dallas’s

Edit: On-topic, i bought two sets of stamps last night. I’d been meaning to buy a sheet the past few weeks anyway to help support the PO, this was too good to pass up. Glad I’m financially able to do so.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

I always learned only plurals get the apostrophe at the end but all I see now is popping the apostrophe on the end if the noun ends in an S whether it's a plural or not.
Me too but they only taught us half of the rule. For pluralized nouns like boys’ then yes, but they never really dealt with the nuance of a singular noun that ends in S.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They did for me. A singular noun ending in S got 's. The possessive form of James was James's. Or in this case I would've been taught Dallas's.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Ap Style Guide posted:

When creating the possessive form of nouns, there are eight simple rules:

1. For both AP and Chicago style, if a singular noun does not end in s, add ‘s

The delivery boy’s truck was blocking the driveway.
Bob Dole’s concession speech was stoic and dignified.
NOTE: Even if the singular noun is a proper noun (i.e. a name) if it does not end in s, add ‘s.

The student’s attempts to solve the problem were rewarded
2. If a singular common noun ends in s, Chicago and AP handle apostrophes differently. For both styles, if a singular common noun ends in s, add ‘s

FOR AP STYLE: if the word following the singular common noun ending in s begins with s, add an apostrophe only. (This includes words with s and sh sounds.)

The boss’s temper was legendary among his employees. (AP and Chicago)
The boss‘ sister was even meaner. (AP)
The The boss‘s sister was even meaner. (Chicago)
The witness’s version of the story has several inconsistencies. (AP and Chicago)
The witness‘ story did not match the events recorded on tape. (AP)
The witness’s story did not match the events recorded on tape. (Chicago)
3. If a singular proper noun (a name) ends in s, Chicago and AP handle apostrophes differently.

In AP style, if a proper noun ends in s or an s sound, add an apostrophe only.

Chris‘ exam scores were higher than any other students’.

4. If a noun is plural in form and ends in an s, add an apostrophe only, even if the intended meaning of the word is singular (such as mathematics and measles.)

The instructor asked us to analyze ten poems’ meanings.
The dog catcher had to check all of the dogs’ tags.
It is hard to endure the Marine Corps’ style of discipline.
5. If a plural noun does not end in s, add ‘s

Many activists in Oregon are concerned with children’s rights.
Everyone was disappointed with the American media’s coverage of the Olympics in Atlanta.
6. If there is joint possession, use the correct possessive for only the possessive closest to the noun.

Clinton and Gore’s campaign was successful.
She was worried about her mother and father’s marriage.
Beavis and Butthead’s appeal is absolutely lost on me.
7. If there is a separate possession of the same noun, use the correct possessive form for each word.

The owner’s and the boss’s excuses were equally false.
The dog’s and the cats’ owners were in school when the fire broke out.
8. In a compound construction, use the correct possessive form for the word closest to the noun. Avoid possessives with compound
plurals.

My father-in-law’s BMW is really fun to drive.
The forest ranger’s truck is painted an ugly shade of green.
Your neighborhood letter carrier’s job is more difficult than you imagine

So basically,

Josh Lyman posted:

It depends on the style guide you're following but both are acceptable.

Edit: I need to buy a more current AP style guide, those mid-90s references are a trip though

The last one really wraps around back to the topic at hand, haha.

pwn fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 13, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dallas isn't plural. There's only the one. Well, that one and Fort Worth.

pwn posted:

It’s mainly this, the 2006 bill was a tactic known as “starve the beast.” Making them have 75 goddamned years of benefits on hand was explicitly to break them, so that the commentariat could point to the now-floundering service and bellow: “See?! The government is incompetent! Only the glorious free market can innovate!”

Hard to say that the government service is bad if they’re well in the green every year. So they put an unrealistic burden on them to make what’s happening now possible. The whole thing about raising rates and Amazon is just blather to cover their end-game.

Note that John didn’t mention removal of the ridiculous funding requirements as a solution to the problem.

There's an annoying thing where for some reason so much professional media refuses to assign malicious motivations to the most obvious goddamn plots, so they're left doing these elaborate shows of idiocy because they can't let themselves be seen as one of those crazy conspiracy theorists.

Like earlier when William Barr clearly was saying that a criminal who pled guilty to multiple crimes should be absolved, John Oliver couched his criticism in this idiotic way where he said, "This could set a dangerous precedent," like Barr was just acting foolishly on the spur of the moment as opposed to directly planning to break the law to defend the administration, just like what he said he would do in the essays about breaking the law to help the president that got him hired to break laws to help the president, and after he smiled at that reporter saying that after successfully breaking the law to help the president, the world order that would follow in the future would be forced to be sympathetic to its master unbounded by human law.

There is no precedent. This is the damage being done now. Like I don't know whether they're waiting for deathsquads publicly executing dissenters to actually speak up about things or what.

pwn
May 27, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's an annoying thing where for some reason so much professional media refuses to assign malicious motivations to the most obvious goddamn plots, so they're left doing these elaborate shows of idiocy because they can't let themselves be seen as one of those crazy conspiracy theorists.

Like earlier when William Barr clearly was saying that a criminal who pled guilty to multiple crimes should be absolved, John Oliver couched his criticism in this idiotic way where he said, "This could set a dangerous precedent," like Barr was just acting foolishly on the spur of the moment as opposed to directly planning to break the law to defend the administration, just like what he said he would do in the essays about breaking the law to help the president that got him hired to break laws to help the president, and after he smiled at that reporter saying that after successfully breaking the law to help the president, the world order that would follow in the future would be forced to be sympathetic to its master unbounded by human law.

There is no precedent. This is the damage being done now. Like I don't know whether they're waiting for deathsquads publicly executing dissenters to actually speak up about things or what.

I think they (Oliver, Colbert, et al) feel that if they don’t act cynical, cooler heads will prevail. Or they have terminal brainworms. Six of one, etc.

Cody Johnston is the cynic you’re looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfIsuMmncm0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQ4Cm9gYv4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn1zQiwVBJY

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

SlothfulCobra posted:

Dallas isn't plural. There's only the one. Well, that one and Fort Worth.

You can see this most clearly in the WHPC's coverage of Trump: constant incredulity after more than four years of his never-ending, stream-of-consciousness lies with takes like "why would the president say this?" and "the president's statements make no sense!"

Yes, dipshits, it makes perfect sense in the context of spreading regime propaganda... :nallears:

pwn posted:

I think they (Oliver, Colbert, et al) feel that if they don’t act cynical, cooler heads will prevail. Or they have terminal brainworms. Six of one, etc.

The "cooler heads" theory is definitely brainworms.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Couldn’t a lot of it be fear of being sued for slander and/or losing access?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

Well for LWT it's not like they have access in the first place - all their stuff is second-hand reporting. And comedy is usually pretty well insulated from accusations of slander because "it's just a joke, bro" actually holds up pretty well as a legal defense in the US (I mean that doesn't stop people from trying, like the whole Bob Murray thing, but that didn't exactly end his way).

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Josh Lyman posted:

I would love to see that court case...networks should be begging for Trump to give them the legal power of discovery. They will never do that, however, because Trump is the biggest cash cow in the history of modern news.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Well for LWT it's not like they have access in the first place - all their stuff is second-hand reporting. And comedy is usually pretty well insulated from accusations of slander because "it's just a joke, bro" actually holds up pretty well as a legal defense in the US (I mean that doesn't stop people from trying, like the whole Bob Murray thing, but that didn't exactly end his way).

Also this: shows like LWT rely on investigative journalism outfits like ProPublica to do their research. Pulling punches on stuff like Barr is simply providing more cover for the regime, and does nothing to insulate LWT or protect their journalistic integrity. Even if they did have journalists in the field: you do not need access once you have the story.

It does make Business Daddy happy, though...

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm pretty sure that it's been demonstrated that the very best scenario when you sue Last Week Tonight is that you waste your money.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dalla's.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I don't think its an unheard of tactic to soften your language in order to broaden your audience when trying to write persuasively. Some writers are trying to start from a position that doesn't immediately alienate the ideologically most valuable viewer--those who both can be convinced, but are not already convinced.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

piL posted:

I don't think its an unheard of tactic to soften your language in order to broaden your audience when trying to write persuasively. Some writers are trying to start from a position that doesn't immediately alienate the ideologically most valuable viewer--those who both can be convinced, but are not already convinced.

Not to be glib, but part of the problem is catering our discourse to the idiots who can't even be bothered to pay attention in the first place. :haw:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That's just the first point of making a persuasive argument. 60% your audience if either going to already agree with you or is never going to, so you always tailor your message to the 40% in the middle.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's just that so often I see so many malicious people purposefully wedging themselves into the gap opened up by constantly giving the benefit of the doubt. It's the foundation of the idiot defense in court, where since popular wisdom is to believe stupidity rather than malice, people can just pretend to be total amnesiacs. It's how the right has basically weaponized making entirely baseless claims that impartial reporting has to treat seriously every time, never bothering to mention that this is the thousandth lie that obviously isn't true. And it's also what makes these people think they can just get away with anything because nobody will ever dare to call them out if they're brazen enough.

It's just frustrating.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I KNEW it was going to be marbles

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Jesus Christ the spring training facility the MLB wants to move all its games to is across the street from my house, oh boy I hope they don’t do that good lord.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Stare-Out posted:

gently caress the poor, but also gently caress all the other rich guys because I'm not as rich as them.

gently caress you, got mine, and gently caress you, need to get more.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also note the weasel words used in the dumb criticism: "could set a dangerous precedent". Uhuh, is there really any loving doubt here?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Murdering this American citizen with no judicial oversight whatsoever purely on the say so of the president could set a dangerous precedent!

Oh wait, no I just checked and it was actually perfectly fine when Obama did this to Anwar al-Awlaki.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 10:40 on May 18, 2020

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I'm surprised he didn't mention the NASCAR races that were held online in iRacing, a racing simulator video game.

Not that I'm a fan, I just know about it because I saw one of the NASCAR drivers dropped an N-bomb on stream and got suspended. :v:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Good god games are getting realistic these days

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Not really a surprise why people would keep their masks on while being filmed getting arrested. Also I sure wish that people would stop telling me about that show about people jacking off and losing money.

It'd be insane if college sports got brought back while colleges were closed because student athletes get no pay and no rights over their own physical wellbeing. Wrestlers getting prevented from unionizing is bad, but at least they get paid for their work. College sports as a pure moneymaking operation where students get their education and health put on the line for no compensation is horrible.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SlothfulCobra posted:

Not really a surprise why people would keep their masks on while being filmed getting arrested. Also I sure wish that people would stop telling me about that show about people jacking off and losing money.

I only saw the segment on YouTube, but what the hell are these sentences about?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Oliver addressed this story up top and later recommended a reality TV show about sex that I'm tired of hearing about as something to watch when leading towards talking about sports.

Also he mentioned it only for a little bit, but it can never be overstated how much of this crisis is and further down the road will continue to be specifically the result of the government's incompetence and playing for short-term personal gain over actually confronting the problem with the goal to provide for the public good. Long-term quarantine was the last resort after failures to act earlier, and continued failure to maintain quarantine will mean continued need for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

Oliver addressed this story up top and later recommended a reality TV show about sex that I'm tired of hearing about as something to watch when leading towards talking about sports.

Also he mentioned it only for a little bit, but it can never be overstated how much of this crisis is and further down the road will continue to be specifically the result of the government's incompetence and playing for short-term personal gain over actually confronting the problem with the goal to provide for the public good. Long-term quarantine was the last resort after failures to act earlier, and continued failure to maintain quarantine will mean continued need for it.

Yeah this is the big thing that really should be hammed on a lot more. This isn't some "look, nobody could have done better" situation. This is the natural end result of an ideology built around deliberately dismantling public institutions and that sees any kind of government intervention as a moral hazard. It's not by accident that the government response has been inept, it is entirely consistent with how they believe the government should be run.

It's not even necessarily a "socialism vs. capitalism" thing either - Vietnam and South Korea both had some of the best responses to the pandemic and the former is extremely socialist and the latter is extremely capitalist. It's the very specific Reagan/Thatcher-esque style of conservatism that has been driving the right in the anglosphere for the last several decades.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 19, 2020