Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Doing that thing again where I try to find something in Game Pass to play to fill the empty void in my life, usually things I wouldn’t otherwise consider. Can you all sell me on these two?

Devil May Cry 5: I’ve tried this once before and bailed after the first 10 minutes because it felt very anime heavy and over the top. But people rave about it. How do I get past the anime weirdness and what’s good to love about it?

Remnant, From the Ashes: I’ve tried this once before too. It’s more my type of game but for some reason (I must have missed a tool tip or something) I seriously couldn’t get out of the main power plant base thing. I got lost in the three sub levels trying to find like a keycard or open some doors or something, actually couldn’t at all figure out how to start the main missions (there’s no objective markers I swear) and so just gave up in frustration. Every time I see a stream of it it looks awesome as heck though!

I’m also maybe yearning for some dark souls type action. I’ve finished dark souls series and Sekiro. How’s Ashen? I missed it when it was on gamepass. It looks pretty compelling.

Thanks dudes. Maybe Xbox Ambassador could also weigh in on this new series X discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

DMC1: Dante visits Resident Evil island and anime fights the villain and then escapes via byplane.

DMC2 is DEEP HURTING! in game form.

DMC3: Dante and his brother fight anime clown that turns out to be the main bad guy.

DMC the anime: The only good episode is the one where Trish and Lady meet.

DMC4: Anime man with claw hand destroys an entire religion with the help of Dante who is in the middle of recovering from the events of DEEP HURTING.

DMC5: Where's the Lady, Trish and revamped Lucia from DEEP HURTING DLC campaign Capcom?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Blind Rasputin posted:

Anyone know anything about this new game Disintegration that just popped up on the store for pre order? Goes on sale in July or something. It’s a FPS, RTS or something from the co creator of Halo. Looks really cool and I haven’t ever even heard of it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcgamer.com/amp/disintegration-release-date-everything-we-know/

There where a demo of the multiplayer side.

The multiplayer side played pretty much like World of Tanks or Crossout or other F2P arena game with vehicles, with a moba touch.
It was underwelming and I stoped playing the demo after 4 games because nothing I did made me feel like it matter. Including killing other players.

Is much more fun to design your own vehicle in Crossout than playing something like this.

All my interest is in the singleplayer component. If it have a good story and is a completelly different animal than this my interest can grown.

Making your vehicle a hovercraft is probably a mistake. It makes everything feels floaty, meaningless and hard to control (not in a good way). If they did it so you have a better view of your minions is another mistake, because they could achieved the same thing with a elevated camera, or a drone or map design.

Tei fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 13, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Blind Rasputin posted:

Anyone know anything about this new game Disintegration that just popped up on the store for pre order? Goes on sale in July or something. It’s a FPS, RTS or something from the co creator of Halo. Looks really cool and I haven’t ever even heard of it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcgamer.com/amp/disintegration-release-date-everything-we-know/

Why do all of these sci-fi pew pew Halo-alike games look exactly the same?

Like, it would be one thing if these were from no-name Eastern European shovelware developers, trying to capitalize on established IP, but these all seem to be coming from AAA people with important LinkedIn friends and poo poo.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 13, 2020

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I mean, what else would they look like?

The No Man’s Sky - Call of Duty crossover you’re looking for is called Journey to the Savage Planet.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

Like, it would be one thing if these were from no-name Eastern European shovelware developers, trying to capitalize on established IP, but these all seem to be coming from AAA people with important LinkedIn friends and poo poo.

Maybe they had unique visuals on an early phase?

I think part of the job of a game company is to have a strong design direction so each game has unique visuals. But even if you have good concept art artist creating unique visuals, that not always translate to unique visuals in-game, because the art is hard to capture in a model, or perhaps the modelers are not good enough, or maybe limits on details on the models.

This is why you want your artist to have broad varied experiences, visit remote countries, watch weird movies and read weird books. You don't want your modelers designing armour for a sci-fi game to only have Robocop as reference. My spies told me that in general USA is a boring place from a artist point of view. No much unique to see in the day to day routines. Some places worse than others.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So if anyone remembers the game The Culling, which is one of the earliest BR games, the original game is being relaunched on Xbox tomorrow but with the weirdest ‘pay to play’ model I’ve seen.

The game costs $5.99. Each match costs a ‘token’, and you get one match for ‘free’ when you buy it. If you win, you get another one, but if you lose, you either have to pay the weekly or monthly subscription price or for some reason they will let you buy packs of ‘tokens’ for different prices. It’s very bizarre and I don’t expect this to go well.

This is the same company that launched a Culling 2 that was for sale for maybe a week before the devs pulled the game and issued refunds. That game was a really awful PUBG clone that looked like a lovely mobile game and played worse.

https://twitter.com/xaviant/status/1260217324495405060?s=21

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Tei posted:

This is why you want your artist to have broad varied experiences, visit remote countries, watch weird movies and read weird books. You don't want your modelers designing armour for a sci-fi game to only have Robocop as reference. My spies told me that in general USA is a boring place from a artist point of view. No much unique to see in the day to day routines. Some places worse than others.

Apropos of art and America, I actually had a chat with a friend about this last night.

A lot of it comes down to economics and the limitations that different models of government place on artists. Europe has a social safety net that enables artists to gently caress around, experiment, do things that are unpopular or unmarketable and plug away at them.

If you want to live in an ambient rock squatters’ collective for three years in many parts of Europe, you can do that and still get healthcare/go to school/potentially draw an income. You can draw a very small income from your work, or none at all, and at least expect to survive. In America, you would have to bail at your first major urinary tract infection if the cops didn’t get you first.

So there’s a tremendous pressure in America to draw a steady income immediately. And if you can’t do that then you can’t survive, much less make art, because you literally can’t afford to get sick or hurt. So people get day jobs but those eat up your time and energy, and often they suck for various reasons, so the big goal is always to make money off of your work. And the best way to make a hireable portfolio is to measure your work against what’s already successful and salable.

And universities and art education are likewise limited by the American system.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

So if anyone remembers the game The Culling, which is one of the earliest BR games, the original game is being relaunched on Xbox tomorrow but with the weirdest ‘pay to play’ model I’ve seen.

The game costs $5.99. Each match costs a ‘token’, and you get one match for ‘free’ when you buy it. If you win, you get another one, but if you lose, you either have to pay the weekly or monthly subscription price or for some reason they will let you buy packs of ‘tokens’ for different prices. It’s very bizarre and I don’t expect this to go well.

This is the same company that launched a Culling 2 that was for sale for maybe a week before the devs pulled the game and issued refunds. That game was a really awful PUBG clone that looked like a lovely mobile game and played worse.

https://twitter.com/xaviant/status/1260217324495405060?s=21

"-One free online match per day" excuse me? lol this is some online gaming from the 90s levels of bad ideas.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

It's a super cool idea that has absolutely no audience and cannot get an audience.

I would never play it, but I absolutely would be watching it on Twitch 24/7.

Actually I should clarify. A free to play competitive game with perma-death is a really fun idea in concept as a spectator. And awful for playing and reality.

It's a really fun idea that completely breaks down the moment there is a bug, imbalance, hacker, businesses model, or lag spike in the game.

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 13, 2020

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

Well, it is a game from the the art director of Halo.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’ve watched people play The Culling on PC and it’s alright but it’s not that interesting. Just different than most of the other BRs because it’s melee/bows only. No guns.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ah, so this is what fast SSD and the right RAM allows for.

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1260587589280559104?s=20

Longer/higher quality video here (Tweet clip is from the end)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC5KtatMcUw

univbee fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 13, 2020

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The word gameplay has lost all meaning.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

American McGay posted:

We at least know this is the game engine on an actual console doing stuff, that's already a step in the right direction.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fortnite sequel looking lame

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

American McGay posted:

I think that demo qualifies as actual gameplay. I real person was moving that character around and interacting with the environment. Up until they started flying, then it was a cinematic rendered in-game.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
By promoting the harmful "Unreal Engine 5 owns on ps4" you are advertising for Sony

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

the longer video is cool, im looking forward to experiencing unreal engine 5 on my pc.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I also look forward to playing an Unreal Engine 5 game in Spring 2024.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

dang we'll be on xbox series z by then

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Xbox Series X²

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Demoplay

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

photorealistic graphics are cool and all but somebody not EA should make a good version of frostbite with destruction stuff and make a new battlefield series for me and my xbox pals

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Play edf5 with me

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

buy it fo rme

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The cool part of that wasn't so much the photorealism as it was flying through an environment with that much detail at that speed without things like pop-in.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

thats just like your opinion man no need to call me out like that, look, photo realism is cool. i can show you an electronic gaming monthly article from 2004 about photo realistic walls in condemned criminal origins and it was cool

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ethanol posted:

thats just like your opinion man no need to call me out like that, look, photo realism is cool. i can show you an electronic gaming monthly article from 2004 about photo realistic walls in condemned criminal origins and it was cool

I'll see your EGM cover and raise you

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Super psyched for the 4K When You're Standing Still In An Empty Room And 720P When There Are More Than 3 Enemies Onscreen generation

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

Super psyched for the 4K When You're Standing Still In An Empty Room And 720P When There Are More Than 3 Enemies Onscreen generation

Halo5 already exists

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

Apropos of art and America, I actually had a chat with a friend about this last night.

A lot of it comes down to economics and the limitations that different models of government place on artists. Europe has a social safety net that enables artists to gently caress around, experiment, do things that are unpopular or unmarketable and plug away at them.

If you want to live in an ambient rock squatters’ collective for three years in many parts of Europe, you can do that and still get healthcare/go to school/potentially draw an income. You can draw a very small income from your work, or none at all, and at least expect to survive. In America, you would have to bail at your first major urinary tract infection if the cops didn’t get you first.

So there’s a tremendous pressure in America to draw a steady income immediately. And if you can’t do that then you can’t survive, much less make art, because you literally can’t afford to get sick or hurt. So people get day jobs but those eat up your time and energy, and often they suck for various reasons, so the big goal is always to make money off of your work. And the best way to make a hireable portfolio is to measure your work against what’s already successful and salable.

And universities and art education are likewise limited by the American system.

AArgh.. gently caress me, this sound horrible.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Why was there still a slow-down-to-load narrow gap I thought we were moving beyond that

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Akuma posted:

Why was there still a slow-down-to-load narrow gap I thought we were moving beyond that

They wanted to show how the engine will move your model to interact with objects automatically so you dont have to do it. Like how the hands touched the door or whatever.

The random touching stuff and rocks falling made it feel like a naughty dog presentation from 2015. More games getting lots of extra detail easily will be cool.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Tei posted:

AArgh.. gently caress me, this sound horrible.

lol the systemic suppression of art is, relatively speaking, one of the lesser horrifying aspects of American economics.

I'm not trying to tell you it's not horrible, depressing and bad. I'm just saying this entire place is a fractal image of all the ways profit-motive can harm a human being.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

univbee posted:

I'll see your EGM cover and raise you

I remember this magazine cover so well. It absolutely blew my mind. Like holy poo poo, computers can do anything.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What's crazy is that each new generation of games looks like real life until you look at it a few years later and it looks like trash. I don't know if it really did look that good because of what kind of graphics I was used to or if it's just my brain editing the memory to make me remember games looking better than they did.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Your eyes have become a lot more discerning as technology has increased. In 1999 the presence of a rounded surface was enough to shock and amaze, now in 2020 people will call fake if your character models don't have realistic eye dart and microexpressions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007