Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The first time I saw 2001 I was recovering from surgery and doped to the gills on painkillers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Byzantine posted:

The first time I saw 2001 I was recovering from surgery and doped to the gills on painkillers.

God, if that was your first memory of 2001 I can't imagine what you were thinking later in the year.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Byzantine posted:

that happened to me except instead of 2001 it was metal gear solid 2

the fuckin' game talks to you, maaaaan :tinfoil:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i was doped up after major mouth surgery watching early trailer park boys and it was amazing

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Original Wicker Man. Still coming out of sedation and on so many pain killers.

Followed the next night by trying not to blow out my stitches seeing Snakes on a Plane opening night.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I watched Evangelion while I was sick with the flu and on a bunch of meds. Couldn’t have done better. I got sicker as the series fell apart; when it went crazy I was right there with it.

I also make a point of watching the Full Monty whenever I’m laid up with illness. It’s just the right balance of engaging yet not too much.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?
I watched the director's cut of Apocalypse Now for a class in college during midterms week. I had been up for the last 24 hours with about 16 hours of sleep in the last 96.

I've never done hallucinogenics but about 2 hours into the movie, I'm pretty sure that is as close to feeling like I would on them as I've ever felt.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Watched Spirited Away for the first time coming down from a Ritalin-fueled all nighter. Felt like I was floating the whole time.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
One night in my early 20s, I was unable to sleep, so at 3am, I popped in Apocalypse Now Redux for the very first time. Let me tell you, 6:30am me was a changed man.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
I'm pathologically incapable of watching Who Framed Roger Rabbit all the way through because I fell asleep in the middle when I was fifteen and doped up from my wisdom teeth surgery and now I fall asleep in around the same place like some kind of Pavlovian response. At this point I know the plot from cultural osmosis and don't really feel like trying again.

See also Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland but that was more because it was dumb as hell

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I was stoned while watching That Darn Cat (Doug E. Doug version). Really opened up my eyes.

That cat. Darn him.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Toshimo posted:

One night in my early 20s, I was unable to sleep, so at 3am, I popped in Apocalypse Now Redux for the very first time. Let me tell you, 6:30am me was a changed man.

Used to do a monthly watch of a movie with my roommate and a best friend. Normally trashy rom coms or action movies. One month we did apocalypse now redux and hoo boy were we lost by the end.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Sunswipe posted:

Does it take a lot work to understand "What if brain in a jar/trapped on the holodeck Star Trek episode, but crossed with The Terminator"?

Apparently there was one book that was required reading for everyone, which they were then tested on, and Keanu got a few more books on top of that.

I don't know how demanding it all was, if it was actual difficulty or if it was fairly lowball and the actors just weren't really used to thinking in that way.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cleretic posted:

Apparently there was one book that was required reading for everyone, which they were then tested on, and Keanu got a few more books on top of that.

I don't know how demanding it all was, if it was actual difficulty or if it was fairly lowball and the actors just weren't really used to thinking in that way.

It was Simulacra and Simulation (which appears in the film and is also the source of the "desert of the real" line), which isn't exactly light reading.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Heathers (new to us) and Terminator 2 (re-watch) on a head full of acid. My then GF and I re-watched Heathers the next day and I was amazed how much of the bizarre poo poo I remembered actually happened in the movie; just not, y'know, in that one corner of her apartment unconstrained by a television screen.

Heathers is a trip of a movie is my point.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

The David Lynch Dune after an ill-advised night discovering absinthe.

I did not care for the experience.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

IshmaelZarkov posted:

The David Lynch Dune after an ill-advised night discovering absinthe.

I did not care for the experience.

This is why the Jodorowsky Dune should have been made instead.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

I had a few drinks while watching the recent Color Out of Space and liked it just fine, but I imagine you'd really get your money's worth with some strong hallucinogens in you.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Someone do it and report back. Same for Annihilation.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
I had gotten no sleep and wasn't really fully grasping what was going on when I watched The Departed in theaters. So I thought Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon's character were the same person, which made the film really really confusing to me until they confronted each other in the end and I went "Oh poo poo it's two different men! This make more sense now."

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Everything is better on hallucinogens. Last time I was on shrooms I was watching a live news report of a dam that was about to burst and the news anchor was singing for everyone to get the gently caress out of town.

Nobody else (engineers, other hosts, randos on the street) were singing, just the anchor.

The dam didn't even end up breaking :mad:

Evilreaver has a new favorite as of 03:59 on May 13, 2020

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Eclipse12 posted:

Someone do it and report back. Same for Annihilation.

I do not like the scream bear.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Tab of acid and Secret of NIMH. In a theater. In the afternoon.

The drive home in broad daylight was interesting, to say the least.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The first time I did shrooms I put on XTC's "Skylarking" and played Super Mario RPG for hours. That was the only time I ever played that game.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

MrUnderbridge posted:

Tab of acid and Secret of NIMH. In a theater. In the afternoon.

The drive home in broad daylight was interesting, to say the least.

Oh no, I used to watch that over and over as a kid, and revisiting it as an adult made me wonder what the hell was wrong with me. Parts of Pinocchio made me more freaked out than literal actual rat torture and cancer ridden ghost owls and rat-people getting shanked and bleeding.

That said, one of my favorite songs I’ve ever done features a good bit of NIMH sampling. Maybe I should finish it for the protest song challenge...

Speaking of Jodorowsky, El Topo while coming up on DXM was a huge mistake. Like the person upthread who mentioned Heathers is just as bonkers when you’re sober, it did not help to rewatch it and find out I didn’t really miss or misinterpret anything. The guy with the toothpick pyramid who speaks with eagle screams NOT being a dream startled the gently caress out of me.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

While suffering food-poisoning from discount supermarket noodles the only thing to watch on TV was Star Trek: Nemesis. Later that day I saw a busker with a creepy puppet band, and their music followed me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

While suffering food-poisoning from discount supermarket noodles the only thing to watch on TV was Star Trek: Nemesis. Later that day I saw a busker with a creepy puppet band, and their music followed me.

THat reminds me of last year when I went to buy a video game and on the way to the shop a steel drum band started playing a really heavy bass line and I was like "What, is a boss battle starting?" It sounded like the bass line from this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY1Vetd7OCs

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

The first time I watched Pi I was tripping hard on Acid the day before I had to move out of the dorm.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

One time I did drugs and watched a movie.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I just... I just want to belong somewhere for once

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

purple death ray posted:

One time I did drugs and watched a movie.

Just once?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

This is why the Jodorowsky Dune should have been made instead.

I'm pretty sure that would've crashed the world economy. Not that that would've been a bad thing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

There's a universe where Jodorowsky's Dune got made, crashed the market, made Fox swear off making Star Wars, and the world is very very different

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
One time I took pcp and watched Hardcore Henry and I tried to invade and overthrow Venezuela.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

purple death ray posted:

I just... I just want to belong somewhere for once

i recommend season 1 of hannibal and a high fever if you first want to dip your toes in a bit

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Arivia posted:

I watched Evangelion while I was sick with the flu and on a bunch of meds. Couldn’t have done better. I got sicker as the series fell apart; when it went crazy I was right there with it.

This was my experience watching the Evangelion 3.33 movie. Apparently it's not very good, but my memories are exactly like having a fever dream about an Evangelion sequel, which made it the right way to see it. From what I remember, Kaworu is good now, Asuka has an eyepatch, and they all live on a boat.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

A friend and I both fell asleep while watching an episode of .Hack/Sign
We weren't on anything, it was just a boring episode.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

the_steve posted:

A friend and I both fell asleep while watching an episode of .Hack/Sign
We weren't on anything, it was just a boring episode.

sounds about right for that show :v:

there's a lot of stuff i like about .hack//sign but it's... charitably describable as one of the greatest insomnia cures humanity has ever discovered

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like aspects of Sign like how the virtual reality completely overwrites the main character's senses, like when they die in the game early in the series and respawns and the experience really fucks them up, or them trying to look after the Grunty for another player and it getting sick really messing them up. I also love the idea that when asked who they are IRL, the character says that they are a boy in real life, but when they finally get out it turns out they are a girl - at the time they were asked, their avatar had become so much their actual body that they'd forgotten what their real body looked like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Acid and Bram Stoker's Dracula is always a fun time. Mescaline and 2001: A Space Odyssey was not much fun.