Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Heath posted:

Reading the thread title in Herschel Krustoffsky's voice and chuckling

Reading the thread title in Herschel Walker’s voice and doing the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Anyway, for my own personal SA saga that nobody knows about, and I don’t want to go into too much detail without their permission:

8 years ago I gave a goon a spare key from a 4 pack of shoot many robots, we became online friends, I dragged him into my volunteer EMS agency,he got a taste for medical stuff, and he graduated nursing school today. Well, it’s after midnight, so yesterday. Proud of that guy and I’m happy that this site made a giant difference in someone’s life through sheer dumb chance like that.

:kimchi:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Anyway, for my own personal SA saga that nobody knows about, and I don’t want to go into too much detail without their permission:

8 years ago I gave a goon a spare key from a 4 pack of shoot many robots, we became online friends, I dragged him into my volunteer EMS agency,he got a taste for medical stuff, and he graduated nursing school today. Well, it’s after midnight, so yesterday. Proud of that guy and I’m happy that this site made a giant difference in someone’s life through sheer dumb chance like that.

:blessed:

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:
SA has grown to the point that I have to assure friends, "no dude, they probate you for slurs and everything now"
i love my dead gay forum

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Back in the day, SA *was* one of the internet's biggest poo poo disturbers. Hell, because of EVE, people still unironically "grr goons" in all sorts of games. People still think of us as "4chan that you have to pay to get into" despite 4chan starting out being "discount SA + pedophiles" and never really amounting to anything else and SA becoming generally decent over the past 10 years.

It helps that the average age of SA users pretty much increased as the age of SA itself did. I remember someone saying it was around 20 when the forums were new, and around 30 now. Some people who signed up in the beginning are parents of kids who, in five or ten years, might be part of the next generation of goons.

Y'know, asuming Lowtax's spine doesn't explode before he actually puts the ownership of Something Awful LLC in his will.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

weed cat posted:

SA has grown to the point that I have to assure friends, "no dude, they probate you for slurs and everything now"
i love my dead gay forum

Basically the sales pitch I gave to try and get my brother on here. I miss the busy days were every hour had like 600 new posts in threads I followed, but I like that everyone that sticks around is basically a decent person. Even Sleeveless. Who is a dick but at least they give their honest opinion on stuff and aren’t a lunatic bigot. I’m sure they’ll rag on me if they see it but that’s just how they roll.

Kazinsal posted:

It helps that the average age of SA users pretty much increased as the age of SA itself did. I remember someone saying it was around 20 when the forums were new, and around 30 now. Some people who signed up in the beginning are parents of kids who, in five or ten years, might be part of the next generation of goons.

I signed up at 21 and am 31 now, it checks out.

E:my first few posts are still live, which blows my mind. Achewood thread, Stephen King thread, and Deus Ex thread.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 10:21 on May 13, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
SA still hasn't really lived down Helldump.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

Back in the day, SA *was* one of the internet's biggest poo poo disturbers. Hell, because of EVE, people still unironically "grr goons" in all sorts of games.

Not just in EVE, for that matter. You'll still occasionally get insta-booted from groups in other MMO's if you have a goon-related guildtag.

I think this has only partly to do with goons of yore being shitlords who griefed entire servers for the lulz, however, and is just as much about the fact that goon in-game communities tend to be well-run, solidarity-focused, and efficient. This means goons can waltz into an established game or server community and fairly quickly achieve a dominant position with a minimum amount of effort. This usually upsets a certain kind of players when they realize they're no longer the undisputed lords and masters of their little internet fiefdom.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Kazinsal posted:

Some people who signed up in the beginning are parents of kids who, in five or ten years, might be part of the next generation of goons.

Y'know, asuming Lowtax's spine doesn't explode before he actually puts the ownership of Something Awful LLC in his will.

There is no way I'd let my children become goons. Goons are hosed up.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Inceltown posted:

There is no way I'd let my children become goons. Goons are hosed up.

Your children are already goons

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I love this!

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I’ve been catching up on Seraph what a wild loving ride that was.

Apparently he’s been banned both from here and from star citizen.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Comrade Koba posted:

Not just in EVE, for that matter. You'll still occasionally get insta-booted from groups in other MMO's if you have a goon-related guildtag.

I think this has only partly to do with goons of yore being shitlords who griefed entire servers for the lulz, however, and is just as much about the fact that goon in-game communities tend to be well-run, solidarity-focused, and efficient. This means goons can waltz into an established game or server community and fairly quickly achieve a dominant position with a minimum amount of effort. This usually upsets a certain kind of players when they realize they're no longer the undisputed lords and masters of their little internet fiefdom.

You are missing the fact that we love that kind of player, an inevitably target them for our shenanigans. Its just a game after all, don't take it so srs

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

how do you get banned from star citizen when it isn't even out

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I’ve been catching up on Seraph what a wild loving ride that was.

Apparently he’s been banned both from here and from star citizen.

He can just pay $17,000 for the deluxe platinum tier rereg package like everyone else

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD

The Saddest Rhino posted:

how do you get banned from star citizen when it isn't even out

even those weirdos must have a hard limit for 'number of posts about bitcoin tolerated per day'

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

When he first posted about how he was medicated and better I was like "hey ya know maybe he's actually medicated and better" but man he is not better at all

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Comrade Koba posted:

Yeah in the Lore Of The Internet goons are basically the boogeymen of every multiplayer game. It's become a little less so as games are generally less griefable and goons are a significantly smaller portion of the populace and also older and less inclined to spend hours of their life loving with pubbies but I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who was Extremely Online in the late 00s and early 10s that didn't have a tale of omg goonrush.

Wasn't the guy who assassinated lord british in UO a goon?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

barbecue at the folks posted:

The whole atheist movement has recently started to drift to the alt-right, with people describing themselves as 'logical rationalists' constantly spewing hateful conspiracy theories about jews and muslims. The uncompromising negative attitude towards an important aspect of the human experience seems to lead people down some dark paths.

While I don't think I was ever an rear end in a top hat atheist out loud where people could hear it, I did read PZ Meyers' blog a bunch in the mid 2000s until he got too grouchy for me. Found out like an hour ago that, despite being one of the original grouchy internet atheists and an evolutionary biologist, he's extremely skeptical of "evolutionary psychology" and was in fact supportive of a recently published article calling the entire field of evo psych, as it stands, unverifiable.

Kind of a neat surprise.

(I'm sorry this has nothing to do with SA, here is a fat sparrow)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Phy posted:

While I don't think I was ever an rear end in a top hat atheist out loud where people could hear it, I did read PZ Meyers' blog a bunch in the mid 2000s until he got too grouchy for me. Found out like an hour ago that, despite being one of the original grouchy internet atheists and an evolutionary biologist, he's extremely skeptical of "evolutionary psychology" and was in fact supportive of a recently published article calling the entire field of evo psych, as it stands, unverifiable.

Kind of a neat surprise.

(I'm sorry this has nothing to do with SA, here is a fat sparrow)

Good chance the dude was a goon, the way this forum works

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Continuing the religion derail, a few years back, my wife and I finally joined our local Unitarian Universalist congregation. It's kinda the best of both worlds for us - a church service and community made up of like 50% atheists, 30% pagans and pantheists, and 20% progressive Christians. It's full of college professors, local activists, etc. Highly recommended if you are looking for a church-like community that isn't trash.

It's helped me be less of an Edgy Internet Atheist even though it's fun to play the role sometimes online. And the kids' programs are top-notch; imo all kids should go through OWL classes.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ChickenWing posted:

Wasn't the guy who assassinated lord british in UO a goon?

He might have become a goon after doing it - it happened more than a year before the forums were established.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

This came up before but at least the 2 goon guilds I was in (Final Fantasy 11 and Final Fantasy 14) are incredibly helpful and I think even have a positive reputation among other guilds.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

Continuing the religion derail, a few years back, my wife and I finally joined our local Unitarian Universalist congregation. It's kinda the best of both worlds for us - a church service and community made up of like 50% atheists, 30% pagans and pantheists, and 20% progressive Christians. It's full of college professors, local activists, etc. Highly recommended if you are looking for a church-like community that isn't trash.

It's helped me be less of an Edgy Internet Atheist even though it's fun to play the role sometimes online. And the kids' programs are top-notch; imo all kids should go through OWL classes.

Yesssss. UU is great!

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

This came up before but at least the 2 goon guilds I was in (Final Fantasy 11 and Final Fantasy 14) are incredibly helpful and I think even have a positive reputation among other guilds.

I've never been in a goon guild in any game that wasn't friendly and helpful. Even just random players in non-guild multiplayer games have been great.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I think it's hard for people who grew up in white America to learn that not all religious people are like evangelicals, because they really tend to dominate the perception of what it is to have faith in modern life because they are so loving loud and obnoxious. It is probably harder because I grew up in Oklahoma where we have the hobby lobby family, oral roberts, and lots of similar parasites here. It breeds the internet atheist attitude in a major way

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Goons got mass banned from lovely browser game politics and war because the nazi-sympathetic lib admin just straight up deleted all our and our allies resources once all the fashy/pedo anime alliances that had been there awhile started crying about us not being nice to them.

We still ruined the game though we got it pulled from every App Store due to micro transactions and community content violations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

pretty much all the goon guilds i've been in have been great, there tends to be a dynamic where the people who like grinding, putting forth lots of effort, learning how to break the game, etc. get leadership positions and trust but in doing their own thing elevate the experiences of the goons that just want to have fun with 0 judgment. in other guilds i've been in there tends to be less overlap and more tension and resentment between the two approaches.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think the key thing is that goons have an existing framework and a reason to join up other than just playing the game, and more open to accepting different gameplay styles and not taking it more seriously than they want to.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I think the big dividing line is "potential for fuckery" vs. "actual good game", supposedly that Age of Wushu game was loving awful but it gave us some of the best Goonsquad stories. Same with EVE, it's really not a good game but the idea of loving with people for whom MS Excel is an exciting program was just too good to pass up (the massive amounts of actual real money involved probably helped too).

Actually, come to think of it, FF14 is a great game, but also I really cannot think of ways to grief and be assholes in that game. If you join parties then leave right away, you get a half-hour penalty before you can join another party. PVP is extremely limited, spawncamping is pretty much nonexistent, and you can't steal from other players unless they're dumb enough to hit "OK" on a trade without checking. I guess the worst thing I can think of is when a couple of goons got a legendary pervert player seething mad by using the biggest mounts possible and clipping the mount models over the pervy guy doing creepy emotes.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

dwarf74 posted:

Continuing the religion derail,

UUs are good people. So are quakers, and I know for a fact that outside the sphere of Christianity you can find the same concentration of “atheist or not traditionally theist” people in reconstructionist jewish congregations.

Although really the very concept of god in Judaism isn’t the same as the Christian version of god to begin with, I have atheist friends who are modern orthodox and have no trouble reconciling that with their practice.

And here’s a bird for your time.

On the topic of goon guilds though, FF14’s are really good and probably have the lowest concentration of assholes I’ve ever encountered in an MMO. Everyone is just super kind and supportive.

Also P&W was fun because we were just there to run off the 4chan elements and with full communism in the game it was extremely easy for us to pool resources and become a powerhouse while all the individual channers and nazis stubbornly refused to cooperate with each other.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Magical thinking bugs me but at the same time I understand that some folks need to believe irrational things to maintain the will to live.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Shifty Nipples posted:

Magical thinking bugs me but at the same time I understand that some folks need to believe irrational things to maintain the will to live.

there's no specific correlation between religious belief and magical thinking. someone can be a christian and base their understanding of god in a philosophical framework of the unknowable and sublime, where there are aggressively atheist incels running around trying to cook up ways to trick women into sleeping with them despite the incels believing they have objectively ugly wrist bones. obviously religion encourages magical thinking but as the world becomes increasingly secular there are plenty of examples of people believing all kinds of weird stuff like detoxifying diets or 5g causes cancer

humans are inherently irrational, i believe, and it is only through intense concentration and effort that we can approach rational thought for brief stretches of time

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

corgski posted:

UUs are good people. So are quakers, and I know for a fact that outside the sphere of Christianity you can find the same concentration of “atheist or not traditionally theist” people in reconstructionist jewish congregations.

Although really the very concept of god in Judaism isn’t the same as the Christian version of god to begin with, I have atheist friends who are modern orthodox and have no trouble reconciling that with their practice.

And here’s a bird for your time.

On the topic of goon guilds though, FF14’s are really good and probably have the lowest concentration of assholes I’ve ever encountered in an MMO. Everyone is just super kind and supportive.

Also P&W was fun because we were just there to run off the 4chan elements and with full communism in the game it was extremely easy for us to pool resources and become a powerhouse while all the individual channers and nazis stubbornly refused to cooperate with each other.

FF XIV in general is the chillest MMO I have ever played. The goon guilds are just the icing on the cake.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

luxury handset posted:

there's no specific correlation between religious belief and magical thinking. someone can be a christian and base their understanding of god in a philosophical framework of the unknowable and sublime, where there are aggressively atheist incels running around trying to cook up ways to trick women into sleeping with them despite the incels believing they have objectively ugly wrist bones. obviously religion encourages magical thinking but as the world becomes increasingly secular there are plenty of examples of people believing all kinds of weird stuff like detoxifying diets or 5g causes cancer

humans are inherently irrational, i believe, and it is only through intense concentration and effort that we can approach rational thought for brief stretches of time

Uh
e: I believe in a thing called love

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Let's bring the religion discussion to a close.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Nap Ghost

I read through about half of this before getting to the teenage girl who loves to fist albinos and noping out.

It reminded me though, there used to be a place on the forums where kinkshaming of any kind was explicitly punishable, i can't remember if it was just one thread, or an entire subforum. I'm pretty sure it ended with a small number of goons trying to theorycraft their way into legally cannibalizing their partner.

Also lol that shadowcatboy was a loving front-page-documented pedo defender since 2007 but was still allowed on these forums for like a decade after.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
iirc it was an A/T thread about BDSM and pretty much just got trolled into the ground because one of the many idiosyncratic goon opinions is "tying your girlfriend up will inevitably lead to pedophilia, dogfucking and cannibalism"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

iirc it was an A/T thread about BDSM and pretty much just got trolled into the ground because one of the many idiosyncratic goon opinions is "tying your girlfriend up will inevitably lead to pedophilia, dogfucking and cannibalism"

Look man I've seen the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Actually, come to think of it, FF14 is a great game, but also I really cannot think of ways to grief and be assholes in that game. If you join parties then leave right away, you get a half-hour penalty before you can join another party. PVP is extremely limited, spawncamping is pretty much nonexistent, and you can't steal from other players unless they're dumb enough to hit "OK" on a trade without checking. I guess the worst thing I can think of is when a couple of goons got a legendary pervert player seething mad by using the biggest mounts possible and clipping the mount models over the pervy guy doing creepy emotes.

there are plenty of ways to be an rear end in a top hat but they tend not to be funny so much as cruel. generally goons don't grief much if they can't make it funny.

there's macros, at least

context: turns off any shields on self, uses an ability called "Superbolide" that reduces you to 1 HP but makes you invincible for a few seconds, then turns off the buff that makes you invincible, making you die almost instantly while broadcasting a dril tweet to the party