Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Based on these two episodes, I wish Erin was the main protagonist instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Got a little behind so I'm playing catchup now. Ep 3 was pretty good, and I laughed at the Minecraft Zombie. I hope we get to see the Seven code appmon in action, instead of them just being plot mcmuffins. Also hello Rei, what an interesting design you and your partner have.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Watching ep 4, and Gatchmon's such a child it's adorable :allears: also I forgot to mention it before, but I am not a fan of the announcer voice that they went with for the app drive. It's extremely loud, shrill, and annoying. It feels weird that people are celebrating Halloween in broad daylight in japan, as well as giving out full bags of candy for free, but it's clearly cartoon logic, so I'll allow it. I do like how Haru is decently smart and is studying up on the enemy and thinking about mysteries surrounding them. And now we have more mysterious chatacters at the end...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Julias posted:

It's extremely loud, shrill, and annoying.
It reminds me very strongly of the morphers in Kyoryuger, and those turned out to be voice recordings from an actual in-universe character, who is exactly as ridiculous and over-the-top as that implies. He is glorious. :swoon: So, I'm hoping the same thing happens here.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Ep 5: Karen Eri makes her appearance, bringing Idolatry into the Digimon franchise.

"I'm a snark machine, made in America!"

Oh my god Eri's such a dork, needing to be the center of attention. I like her and her character.

Ep 6: Oh no Eri you dork, you're flubbing the review :cripes: it's neat to get a new applimon that's just doing it's own thing and isn't virus infected. 690 Power. Nice. Poor Dokamon, always getting the short end of the stick. And I'm glad perorimon wasn't the villain this time. I laughed at Gatchmon just casually chucking the orb aside.

So far I've been rather enjoying Appmon, so I'm glad you started this simulwatch ConanThe3rd. Thanks.

Also the ED is really chill and feels good coming off a viewing session.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Next - Wednesday 06th May

Episode 7 : The Third App Drive! Torajiro is an AppTuber!

quote:

Asuka Torajiro, AKA Astora, is a popular AppTuber on a video streaming site. But is that... an App Drive appearing in one of his funny videos? Could he be an App Driver too?
Episode 8 : A So Not Groovy Disaster?! Astora's Funny Video Plan!

quote:

A powerful rival to Astora appears! Astora's own funny videos start getting lots of dislikes... which leads to a fight with Musimon?!

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
Astora is definitely a new addition and one that takes a bit to build up to. I think that he and his Appmon do play off of each other well and there's a different groove to their relationship than the other App Drivers.

That being said, the translator and team was absolutely on point with the translation for episode 8. The raps were one thing but *fart fortissimo* had me rolling. Never let it be said that the source material can't be expressed in a way to make it work.

It's nice to have the team sort of have to work together fast and it's not a smooth transition but it feels like it's natural at the same time. They weren't going to gel as a team immediately but what ended up happening worked for the moment.

Also when you have the new team member be immediately genre-savvy enough to save the day with clever movie homages was a solid gag in itself. Kind of amazed that we already have all 3 members have their Super forms so it'll be interesting to see where it goes from here.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Starting to agree that the fusion evolution sounds are really annoying.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Astroa's interesting.

Heck, I just appreciate how there was a amicable agreement between son and father in a setting like his.

Usually it's all 'Grrr, muh family business. Eat tradition, child!' (Sora springs to mind) but here it's presented as Asuka's father being a competent parent who allows a healthy persuit of personal happiness.

Also I appreciate him being a few years everyone's junior as it allows for stupid ideas (the fart thing for example) to have a more natural place to come from and this him and Musimon getting into an extended tiff (As well as Astora letting his App Drive's activation phrase get to him emotionally, like I'm seriously wondering if the badguys don't know those and if they're trying to DemiDevimon that poo poo) feels more natural.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 7, 2020

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Ep 7 was just all around really groovy, I like Musemon and Astroa, and what they're setting up with his personal backstory. The AppTuber angle is also really interesting and not something you see much of in shows.

Ep 8 on the other hand, felt really off to me, both in terms of the pacing and Recomon, who just, shows up and forces his way into Astora's possession. The ending bit with mediamon was neat, though it again felt weird that there was suddenly a bunch of Leviathan bots in the audience. I wonder what the deal is with the new villain? There has been a few dangling plot threads now, and I wonder when the trigger on those will be pulled.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I agree that Reccomon came out of nowhere and in service of getting Musimon's champion form out there which is a tad annoying. I'm hoping once we're clear of introducing characters that this sort of thing stops.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Happy Piccilo Day, everyone.

Next - Saturday 09th May

Episode 9 : Aim for Number One! Appmon Championship in Cyber Arena!

quote:

It's a grand rally for all the Appmon who've appeared so far! The Appmon ranking tournament begins, featuring... a 100 meter dash, karuta, and a portrait competition?! Who will be declared the ultimate Appmon?!
Episode 10 : The Dream of All Appmon: The Legendary Seven Code Meetup!

quote:

Mailmon arrives with an invitation to the "Seven Code Meetup"! Ropuremon and Gomimon head out with everyone! But doesn't it seem like Mailmon is acting strange...?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 9, 2020

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

ConanThe3rd posted:

I agree that Reccomon came out of nowhere and in service of getting Musimon's champion form out there which is a tad annoying. I'm hoping once we're clear of introducing characters that this sort of thing stops.

It almost feels like they had little choice, considering that Eri only had 2 episodes (including her debut) and to give more to Astora would seem a bit of a slight at this stage. It also keeps all 3 App Drivers at approx the same level (actual Appmon power levels aside) which helps. Knowing that we have at least an antagonist in the wings is pushing things forward, now that we're all Super level.

As for the episodes, it starts as so many internet fights begin... with in-fighting on Wiki Appmonpedia?!

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Also, in light of just how the world works, Tutomon's explaination of Leviathan and AIs is... rather frightening in context.

Haru manages to bring some light positivity to it, but it's fairly uncanny, even as a show that aired almost 4 years ago now, how accurate some of this is to our lives in 2020.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Seiyal posted:

Also, in light of just how the world works, Tutomon's explaination of Leviathan and AIs is... rather frightening in context.

Haru manages to bring some light positivity to it, but it's fairly uncanny, even as a show that aired almost 4 years ago now, how accurate some of this is to our lives in 2020.

Definitely agreed. The show takes place in 2041 or so, but it's so accurate to today that I feel it'll end up dated by 2030.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Mieumon is fun.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I dunno if poo poo officially getting real in a mansion in the digital world was intentionally a nod to Adventure 01 but I'm gonna say it is and give it a golfclap nonetheless.

I also think this is the first time I've wanted to skip ahead too.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

MorningMoon posted:

Definitely agreed. The show takes place in 2041 or so, but it's so accurate to today that I feel it'll end up dated by 2030.

The opening narration mentions the year 2045, but I'm actually not 100% sure Appmon takes place then. While I was viewing I got the sense that it took place roughly in the present based on a couple of things, but I don't know and wasn't really able to find an answer in the series itself after a little looking, though I could just have missed it. I always just took the mention of the year as the writers going "Pay attention because this kids and monsters show is actually being prescient for real life".

Also hello everyone! I'm a big fan of the series and while I haven't been a part of this simulwatch it's been fun watching people's reactions going through the series.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I feel like the most impressive thing about this show so far is how it doesn't really feel like "How do you do fellow kids?" at all so far.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

The opening narration mentions the year 2045, but I'm actually not 100% sure Appmon takes place then. While I was viewing I got the sense that it took place roughly in the present based on a couple of things, but I don't know and wasn't really able to find an answer in the series itself after a little looking, though I could just have missed it. I always just took the mention of the year as the writers going "Pay attention because this kids and monsters show is actually being prescient for real life".

Also hello everyone! I'm a big fan of the series and while I haven't been a part of this simulwatch it's been fun watching people's reactions going through the series.

Yeah, the narration is confusing about it, I thought for the longest while that it meant that in the in-show near future AI would take over, but I think an episode later on convinced me that 2045 is the year this all takes place on.

Roth posted:

I feel like the most impressive thing about this show so far is how it doesn't really feel like "How do you do fellow kids?" at all so far.

For sure, they definitely nail how society and kids specially interact with and through technology. Makes it their best asset when dealing with Monsters of the Week scenarios.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Next - Thursday 13th May

Episode 11 - Dive in to the Sea of the 'Net! Follow the Super Hacker, Rei!

quote:

The mysterious hacker Rei and Hackmon appear, and all of Haru's Seven Code Appmon get stolen! They'll have to dive into the sea of the 'net and get them back!

Episode 12 - Fighting Sakusimon Let's Use a Super Applink To Smack Him Right Down!

quote:

The one who saves Haru and the others from Sakushimon's attack is... Rei?! But isn't he an enemy? Rei faces Sakushimon solo to try to retrieve his little brother Hajime! But what does Haru do next?!

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 14, 2020

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Spoilers! Gah!

I didn't do a writeup yet, but I watched ep 9 and 10 two days ago. I don't have too much to add other than Hackmon is cool, and Rei comes across as really edgy, and I'm pretty sure this is all a misdirection and Rei is a good guy who wants to fight and defeat leviathan, but who feels like the protagonists are too weak and will just wind up getting themselves killed. I did enjoy the levity of the beginning of ep 9, the musings about AI, and the joke with Emceemon just being a pallet swap of Musemon.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Yeah, we may want to consider putting the upcoming episode summaries in spoiler brackets since Toei (and lots of other animation companies) seem to love to spoil things in their episode titles.

Looks like a good set of episodes tonight though with a bit more plot to discover too?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, sorry, will add spoilers to the synopsis the future.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Seiyal posted:

Yeah, we may want to consider putting the upcoming episode summaries in spoiler brackets since Toei (and lots of other animation companies) seem to love to spoil things in their episode titles.

Looks like a good set of episodes tonight though with a bit more plot to discover too?

Digimon Tamers episode 33: Leomon Dies!

Kind of disapppointed that Dogatchmon and Raidramon didn't form a brand new Ultimate, and we would get characters mix and matching Digimon for various ultimates.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Incidently Raidramon is the first appmon that looks, for lack of a better word, Digimon-ish?
Appmon to this point has had its own sort of "Small animal person" estetic (even with evolutions) with Gomimon litteraly just beign a SD Garbagemon.

I mean it's kinda apropo given Hackmon (the species) is in both a Digimon and a Appmon but still.

Also, if I was this show's target audiance I sure as hell would want every bit of merch with a greymon that could hack things with it's sword-key-tail on it.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Will say though that I was originally a bit shocked that we had 2 Raidramon in Digimon in general (the first one being from Zero Two) since I'm not remembering a lot of names that are connected to multiple mons off the top of my head. Definitely like this one's design a bit better than the other one, considering it comes off of such an edgy looking mon's base form.

The animation in 11 being kinda wonky does get explained when we get the battles in both episodes though so it feels kinda worth it. Sakusimon going out in not much more fashion than Cámeramon/Scorpmon does concern me a bit in regards to how many peons we'll be going through to get to the Big Boss AI I like that in these 2 episodes, we get a pretty good sized plot dump as to the path to the future and enough about Rei to make him feel more like an actual character

13 feels like it'll be a bit of a filler since that'd end the first cour but we'll see. Pretty strong set of episodes yesterday for sure though and I'm excited to see what's next.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Open admission: I genuinely forgot about (02) Raidramon.

Also Rei drinking energy drinks like he's some cyperpunk protagonist smoking a cig kinda clued me into him being a try hard dork from the off.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 14, 2020

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Mieumon is still fun.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

If it's any consolation in Japan V-Mon's second armor form is called "Lighdramon", not Raidramon. Note that there are still two very different Hackmons.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Seiyal posted:

Will say though that I was originally a bit shocked that we had 2 Raidramon in Digimon in general (the first one being from Zero Two) since I'm not remembering a lot of names that are connected to multiple mons off the top of my head. Definitely like this one's design a bit better than the other one, considering it comes off of such an edgy looking mon's base form.

The animation in 11 being kinda wonky does get explained when we get the battles in both episodes though so it feels kinda worth it. Sakusimon going out in not much more fashion than Cámeramon/Scorpmon does concern me a bit in regards to how many peons we'll be going through to get to the Big Boss AI I like that in these 2 episodes, we get a pretty good sized plot dump as to the path to the future and enough about Rei to make him feel more like an actual character

13 feels like it'll be a bit of a filler since that'd end the first cour but we'll see. Pretty strong set of episodes yesterday for sure though and I'm excited to see what's next.

02 Raidramon is supposed to be Lighdramon, as in lightning. But because of the Japanese L/R thing, it was translated as "Raidramon", as in "Raichu".

That being said, both versions would be pronounced differently, as the Appmon's name comes from "RAID", or "Redundant Array of Independent Disks". So he'd be pronounced "Raid"-dramon.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Next : Saturday 16th May

In the Darkness of the Grim Dark Future of 2044 (or so), there is only Holiday Specials.

Episode 13 - Christmas Disappeared?! Date Thief Calendamon!

quote:

The dates of December 24th and 25th disappear from smartphone calendars worldwide! Ai is despondent at the thought that the Kashinoki Books Christmas celebration might not go through. But just then, Gatchmon sees something!

Episode 14 - The City-Wide Puzzle Game?! Puzzlemon's Rampage!

quote:

Haru and his friends enjoy writing New Year's resolutions. Meanwhile, out in the city, chaos breaks out when puzzle games start appearing on screen displays! The screens won't work unless you solve the puzzle... what do we do?!

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 16, 2020

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Not much to say episode wise. Besides establishing a base of operations (another Power Rangers'ism?) it was a bit of a filler to take things from 2016 to 2017 (Or, rather, 2044 to 2045).

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARUUU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That theory about the App Drive being voiced by a character is looking likely.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Next: Wednesday 20th May

Episode 15 - You See the Whole Future?! The Mysterious Divinator, Tellermon!

quote:

The team visits the fortune-telling app Appmon, Tellermon, to find the location of the next Seven Code Appmon! But when Tellermon is infected with the L-Virus...

Episode 16 - A Message From Across 'Time!' The Truth of the App Drives!

quote:

At last, the secret of the App Drives comes out! The one who called to Haru from the App Drive turns out to be a very unexpected person! And where does a certain picture lead them?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I haven't been commenting because I've usually been watching the eps after the fact, but I'm still enjoying the show! Ep 11 and 12 were good for diving into Rei's motivations and raising the stakes. Ep 13 almost felt like filler, except it has Ai learn all about the appmon and establishes a base of operations for the gang. I do feel like the show sometimes tries to cramp all the main characters into an episode when it would be better served giving the focus to just one or two and letting the rest take a backseat, as in this ep Eri and Astora felt worthless. Also it looks like the theory that the shrill announcer inside the digidrives being an actual character was correct....
And lastly ep 14 continued the holiday theming with a new years day special. Not much to say about this one, other than palletswaps continuing to be acknowledged in-universe as a thing, and a glimpse at the next opponent the team will be dealing with.

And as one last aside, it's kind of painful just how obvious L-Corp, which true to the real world seems to own just about everything in the city, is tied to whatever is going on with Leviathan, even if we don't really know the details of the operation. (Unless this is just expert misdirection, in which case, well done)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh boy are the MOTW Appmon actors having fun in ep 15 and 16.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, a new ED! While I definitely liked the first one more as a 'wind down' song, the second ED is a nice in-character song for Emi, starting off as a typical sweet song, but transitioning into something more energetic and abrasive and ending with a good ol' Dokka Punch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Ep 15 is a good palate cleanser for the stuff we get in Ep 16. And yes, both MOTD mons are hammy as all get-out, especially in Ep 16.

Plus we get that long curious answer as to who or what is the App Drive's voice, which is nice not to have hanging. A lot of new crumbs to work on moving forward too!