Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

At this point all used EVs are novelty cars. Not because they're bad per se, but because they're still a niche of a niche. The depreciation is brutal due to small market share and every new generation is leaps and bounds ahead of the last, unlike ICEs which have been into marginal, incremental improvement territory for decades.

That said, the i3 seems like a much nicer car than the 500e. It's a lot more clever with its space, and its interior is actually pretty nice if a bit try-hard-modern. I've driven several i3s and they are pretty fun and surprisingly quick. Great city car. If I had to choose between a 500e and i3 I think I'd pick the i3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

EV thread is here

no offense meant here man but you're kinda all over the map. what does "resilient" mean to you? that's not a word normally associated with cars. what makes an i3 a novelty car and a 500e not a novelty car? (serge famously called the 500e a novelty car and said he hoped they didn't sell any) right now if you're trying to spend ten grand on an electric car there aren't many options and as the famous saying goes beggars can't be choosers.

Thanks for the link.

I can explain. Resilience comes from ease of use, and reliability of proven technology. The 500e has off the shelf battery packs and other hardware, meaning and I can buy and swap parts in the long run. Also, it's a gas car converted to EV, so every single non-drivetrain part is readily available. 95% of the car is shared with other Fiats, as most of them are assembled from the same parts bin. I'm doing research now, but see no red flags when it comes to parts availability.

i3 is basically the opposite. Good luck buying glass, panels, fenders and whatever else that was made specifically for that iphone on wheels. It was never designed with longevity in mind, BMW doesn't give a gently caress what happens after your lease is up. Even the tires are motorcycle sized and unique as gently caress, it's unreal.

Electric cars simply run longer for less money, all of them. But some are better than others. I'll go hang out in EV thread for more info

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The 500 is a huge pile of poo poo and the i3 is a nice place to be, I can’t imagine willingly buying a 500 of any variety.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Get a Prius.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Right

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

this is what I would have done if I had no kids. But I need room for 5. The Prius is the correct choice if you're interested in doing the things an EV is really for. Getting from place to place as efficiently and reliably as possible. Not a bunch of expensive and unnecessary 0-60 performance, not a bunch of overly hyped beta test technology and car bluescreens, just a good car without all the maintenance and upkeep of an ICE.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The 500 is a huge pile of poo poo and the i3 is a nice place to be, I can’t imagine willingly buying a 500 of any variety.
You seem to be grossly misinformed about BMW reliability, especially out of warranty. And I don't see anything nice about i3 other than Doug Demuro "quirkiness" factor. I'll go drive it just for the sake of being open minded. The Fiat reliability issues are mostly limited to ICE drivetrain, and minor interior trim problems. I'm not worried.

Prius. The 500e is 50% less money to purchase and 90% less to run. Also, solar panels at home.
For example, 2017 500e with 27k miles is $8500 OTD. That's an actual car I can buy within an hour. If you can find me a matching Prius value, I'll buy two.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 13, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Knocking BMW reliability to buy a Fiat??

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i would rather roll naked in a nettle patch than try to do my own electrical and drivetrain work on Serge's Compliance Abortion

in all seriousness, your reasons in favor of the Fiat are not particularly strong (the 500 didn't really sell in the US at all and so parts availability won't be great on sheet metal, interior trip etc), the Fiat 500 is like one of the least reliable cars made in the last decade, and you'll be better served increasing your budget and buying something decent

edit: at minimum the i3 has a much nicer interior. up to you if you don't care about it, but really the only thing that would give me pause about the i3 is the stupid loving tires.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 13, 2020

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

All used electric cars right now are disposable, especially at the ~10k mark. You will not still be driving any of them in 10 years time no matter what. None of them are mature, they are all low volume, and the technology will age rapidly to the point of not making sense to repair even if you can.

If longevity and repairability are big concerns, just buy a Prius. They have plug in versions that give you some all-EV range.

Edit: For the record I am not an EV hater, they are the future but that future is not here yet. We are still in early-adopter phases where you have to want an EV because it's an EV, not because it makes sense. If you want an EV that's cool, but don't delude yourself into thinking that it will last even half as long as something like a hybrid right now. Goes double, maybe even triple, for used.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 13, 2020

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Nitrox posted:

For example, 2017 500e with 27k miles is $8500 OTD.

Maybe stop and think for a second about why that is?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i would rather roll naked in a nettle patch than try to do my own electrical and drivetrain work on Serge's Compliance Abortion

in all seriousness, your reasons in favor of the Fiat are not particularly strong (the 500 didn't really sell in the US at all and so parts availability won't be great on sheet metal, interior trip etc), the Fiat 500 is like one of the least reliable cars made in the last decade, and you'll be better served increasing your budget and buying something decent
My reason for posting here is to hopefully get bits of info that would otherwise miss. No offense, but it's more like fishing peanuts out of a turd. Second, if not a third hand knowledge with a load of personal biases or irrelevant opinions. Read my above edit, and post in EV forum for pros/cons.

I do work on my own cars, and have posted loads of relevant first hand information about Prius battery repair/replacement in this very thread. All my research into EVs have been with DIY in mind, which is why I'm dismissing i3s and don't ever plan to have a Tesla, no matter how cheap. Disassembling battery trays and replacing packs/cells is not loving hard. In fact, I'll take it over your average head gasket replacement anyday. Having a fully electric car would be my first, and I fully plan on tinkering with it further than factory intended. That, and having actual solar panels makes it a pretty desirable combination.

And 500's sold in much higher numbers than i3 ffs. The Leaf is its closest competition. That I know of.

Internet Explorer posted:

Maybe stop and think for a second about why that is?
Because it's a 2 door car with hardly any interior space. 2 door hatchbacks plateau pretty quickly on a used market, period.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 13, 2020

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

You're in the BFC car thread asking about home science projects.

I think you'd find a different, more positive reception under a different thread topic, perhaps in AI.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Guinness posted:

You're in the BFC car thread asking about home science projects. This

I think you'd find a different, more positive reception under a different thread topic, perhaps in AI.
Noted. I'll take my inquiries elsewhere.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nitrox posted:

The 10k price is an auction price, I can buy that i3 for around $7k anyday, but won't. They Are novelty cars, plain and simple.
Ok go gently caress yourself :byewhore:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

FilthyImp posted:

Ok go gently caress yourself :byewhore:
I just skimmed few dozens of your posts and signal to noise ratio is nearly a full circle. Welcome to my ignore list, dipshit.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 13, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nitrox posted:

gently caress you too, buddy
I'm not the one justifying an EV FIAT purchase, friend.
:piss:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

What the gently caress did I just witness?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Am I mistaken or is there no real photo of Hyundai's upcoming subcompact, uni-body pickup? The Car and Driver article is using what looks to be a years-old mockup.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

KillHour posted:

What the gently caress did I just witness?
A madman who thinks

quote:

All my research into EVs have been with DIY in mind
is a great choice with a fuckin' FIAT :downsgun:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

All that piss and vinegar for a Fiat 500. If your goal was to diy a transit conversion or other kit and buy a few thousand vape pen batteries and bodge something together? Sure, glfh.

Deciding that the best EV was a kit-level design and integration as implemented on a reviled FCA product is something else.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

I read a story about the sorts of people who show up on Antiques Roadshow. The most annoying are people who come in with an object and a infer full of research. They then proceed to tell the appraiser everything about the object and its provenance and similar auctions. Then they stop and go “what can you tell me about it”. And the appraiser just looks at them and goes “the gently caress are you asking me for? You’re probably the world’s expert on this”

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
Can you just buy the Fiat already, and post updates on how that goes

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Wrong thread, my bad

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 14, 2020

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Trevor Hale posted:

I read a story about the sorts of people who show up on Antiques Roadshow. The most annoying are people who come in with an object and a infer full of research. They then proceed to tell the appraiser everything about the object and its provenance and similar auctions. Then they stop and go “what can you tell me about it”. And the appraiser just looks at them and goes “the gently caress are you asking me for? You’re probably the world’s expert on this”

Please post a link.

Wasn't this thread about cars at one point or am I going crazy?

the tingler posted:

Can you just buy the Fiat already, and post updates on how that goes

I think the OP should consider this lovely yellow Fiat 595

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

KillHour posted:

Wasn't this thread about cars at one point or am I going crazy?

Sorry, I'm an idiot.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Trevor Hale posted:

Link!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

KillHour posted:

I think the OP should consider this lovely yellow Fiat 595

If I had hundreds of thousands of dollars to burn in making my own Fiat Ship of Theseus, I would too.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Jack B Nimble posted:

Am I mistaken or is there no real photo of Hyundai's upcoming subcompact, uni-body pickup? The Car and Driver article is using what looks to be a years-old mockup.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_0JKChKjvx/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Neat, thank you!

Four full doors and baby bed is about what I was expecting.

Edit: this isn't the new car thread! Sorry.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 15, 2020

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

tf is that and why can't anyone just make me a brand new 1998 ranger

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

tf is that and why can't anyone just make me a brand new 1998 ranger

unfortunately you die in a 1998 ranger although i do empathize

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

unfortunately you die in a 1998 ranger although i do empathize

Can confirm. Owned a '94 Ranger and died in it several times.

Fun fact: the ac button can be used as a jake brake.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i had an 89 which is why i'm a ghost

stay safe ford ranger ghost

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Would now be a good time to buy a 2020 Mazda3? Hatchback, premium package. Ideally out the door for, say, $27,500? It seems like it'd make the best everyday commute and grocery run car to hold onto for maybe ten years and then give to a family member that just got their license.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

if you need to buy a new car and that is what you want and it fits in your budget: yes

if not: no

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Calm down with the dumb slapfighting please and thank you goonbatte.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

I editorialized slightly

posted:

I’ve had people show up at our table, put down a work of art, then drop down a notebook two and a half inches thick and say something to the effect of, “I’ve spent the last 13 years researching this piece. What can you tell me about it?” Literally! And it’s like, “Wow, sir, you’re the world expert on this, what can you tell me about it? Because there’s nothing I could possibly add.” If somebody comes in who knows everything, it’s not going to be good. The producers don’t want that on television.

https://tv.avclub.com/what-happens-behind-the-scenes-before-an-antiques-roads-1798267205/amp

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Exception to the "no rentals" part of the title: If you want to buy one of the extremely on-sale Corvette C7 Z06s that Hertz is dumping, I bless your choice to buy an ex-rental. Low mileage 95K Corvette for 60K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Exception to the "no rentals" part of the title: If you want to buy one of the extremely on-sale Corvette C7 Z06s that Hertz is dumping, I bless your choice to buy an ex-rental. Low mileage 95K Corvette for 60K.

Are you mentally quoting Throatwarbler's post in the new car thread? :lol:

I definitely wish I had the lifestyle to nab one of those.