Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

The meaning of "plape". I asked once in a thread and a mod just quoted my question and made fun of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's pretty much a form of tane

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

No, but yeah essentially the same thing

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Blue Moonlight posted:

Eurotrip did “a stoner mistaken for the pope”, I believe.

Thank you, that's the movie I was thinking of. I've seen the "The Most High" post quoted many times, and it has always bugged me that I have had the feeling of actually having watched it.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I remember, possibly falsely, that The Most High was originally posted by supermechagodzilla.

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

• I remember seeing some kind of bar/nightclub in Bellevue Washington (or maybe it was Redmond?) with a cool logo on the sign in front. I'm drawing it from memory but it vaguely looked like this:

So it looked like a martini glass with an olive in it, but it also looked like two people laughing, but it also looked like musical notes, which means it might be the most clever logo I've seen. I couldn't find it last time I looked on Google street view, does that ring a bell for anyone else?

• An animated gif I saw on Facebook one time where a cartoon character is trying to draw a line on a tablet and keeps redrawing the line 50 times.

• An authentic Harry Potter Obama 10 Sonic bootleg backpack (Nobody has found one so I'm starting to think it was a hoax.)

• Does anyone know how I can recreate the synthesizer sound at the beginning of this song?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spapwHfH7YQ

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Reverb, delay, and saw waves for the synth sounds. It's really generic so not sure of the actual patch or anything. Kinda sounds like a Roland.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Old napster era video called Blunt Rolling With Marcus. he rolled with Garcia Vegas.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Short story where Sherlock Holmes calls into extra racist dialogue with Watson about the ancestry of a potentially regular client. At the end as the man storms out Sherlock says he walks like a homosexual.

It’s not as bad as it sounds. It is very racist. As far as I remember it didn’t actually use any slurs besides old (1890s) names for mixed-race black folk such as mulato etc.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Brolander posted:

Old napster era video called Blunt Rolling With Marcus. he rolled with Garcia Vegas.

Long shot from a youtube search, is it this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMMgTjpql1s

DerekSmartymans posted:

Short story where Sherlock Holmes calls into extra racist dialogue with Watson about the ancestry of a potentially regular client. At the end as the man storms out Sherlock says he walks like a homosexual.

It’s not as bad as it sounds. It is very racist. As far as I remember it didn’t actually use any slurs besides old (1890s) names for mixed-race black folk such as mulato etc.
Since I'm posting, I'm going to say this can't be an original story (written by Arthur Conan Doyle), both from the likelihood of him talking about someone walking like a homosexual, and from a quick Ctrl+F of my ebook copy. No idea what it is, just what it probably isn't. Things do get described as 'queer' a lot, though...

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

DerekSmartymans posted:

The word “mulatto” appears in The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge, and someone (not a client) is described turboracistly, but no one is indicated as being gay (though “queer” shows up in the archaic sense).

If it isn’t that I’d agree with the other post that it isn’t an ACD original you’re looking for.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I’m gonna laugh really hard if it turns out DS doesn’t know what queer means and thinks Holmes goes around calling everything gay like a twelve year old

Feb 2, 2005

Batterypowered7 posted:

The meaning of "plape". I asked once in a thread and a mod just quoted my question and made fun of me.

Plape is the sound a heavy breast (or two) makes when dropped onto flesh. Or perhaps a railing. Or any solid surface. Just plape those sweater cows down, my gal.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I know it ain’t actually from the author, it’s just a funny couple of paragraphs that wouldn’t be out of place in a HP Lovecraft tale. It’s like Sherlock played by Charles Nelson Riley and Don Deluise as Watson.

The didn’t call it “the gay 90’s” for nothin’ :agesilaus:

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

uvar posted:

Long shot from a youtube search, is it this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMMgTjpql1s

drat, this thread always delivers and makes me feel dumb. my friend confirms it. I believe the original audio was deeper though, like he definitely didn't sound that young on the one I heard. It's an old video though

NOW, can anyone find proof of an M&M's ripoff called BC's, that were like Sixlets but not round, came in boxes at the movie theater. I wonder if it was some kind of Regal Cinemas house brand. This would be like 93-96ish

Brolander fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 22, 2020

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
This one is pretty recent, but there was a post in Cinema Discusso somewhere in the past few years that's a reading of The Force Awakens as a (iirc) purely neo-liberal take. Can't remember the author.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Some Christian books just got linked in the terrible books thread in PYF and it sparked a memory of some insane Christian epistolary novel that tried to be a modern Screwtape Letters. I’m pretty sure there were like four human characters these two demons (an uncle and nephew) were corresponding over. Some of the humans died to the dangers of premarital sex/drinking/roleplaying games/tarot cards/ouija boards, I think.

Actually, holy crap, typing this up made me remember it was weirdly specific about things that were connected to the spooky evil demons - the one I recall explicitly right now is (weirdly) the song The Way by Fastball, which was some demonic ploy about false visions of heaven for unbelievers and suicides. Surprisingly I’m no longer on great terms with the friend that lent it to me in high school but it’s boggling my mind right now and I want to see if I’m remembering it incorrectly somehow.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

"DerekSmartymans" posted:

Sherlock played by Charles Nelson Riley and Don Deluise
Fry, money, etc. poo poo fyre money etc based on the casting alone.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

food court bailiff posted:

Some Christian books just got linked in the terrible books thread in PYF and it sparked a memory of some insane Christian epistolary novel that tried to be a modern Screwtape Letters. I’m pretty sure there were like four human characters these two demons (an uncle and nephew) were corresponding over. Some of the humans died to the dangers of premarital sex/drinking/roleplaying games/tarot cards/ouija boards, I think.

Actually, holy crap, typing this up made me remember it was weirdly specific about things that were connected to the spooky evil demons - the one I recall explicitly right now is (weirdly) the song The Way by Fastball, which was some demonic ploy about false visions of heaven for unbelievers and suicides. Surprisingly I’m no longer on great terms with the friend that lent it to me in high school but it’s boggling my mind right now and I want to see if I’m remembering it incorrectly somehow.

This made me listen to The Way again after all this time.

Still holds up.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Scaramouche posted:

This made me listen to The Way again after all this time.

Still holds up.
What I have been trying to find for ages is how I never heard "The Way" in the 1990s, missing out on possibly the best radio rock song of the era as a result

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Dr. Quarex posted:

What I have been trying to find for ages is how I never heard "The Way" in the 1990s, missing out on possibly the best radio rock song of the era as a result

Same. The Way is an insanely solid tune and I have no clue where I first remember hearing it but it was at least a decade after the fact. It might have been from here

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I'd never heard the song so I just looked it up and not only have I totally heard it before, part of it (the... verses? that end with 'the way') is one of the random tunes I hum to myself without ever really thinking about it.

:cheers:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

food court bailiff posted:

Found this after sleeping on it - I’m pretty sure it was The Ishbane Conspiracy by uh Randy Alcorn and someone else but I can’t remember who because it’s clearly a hip-young-adult remix of Alcorn’s Lord Foulgrin’s Letters.

It looks even worse than I’d remembered.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dr. Quarex posted:

It started circulation around Feb-March and I guess didn't have the legs to make it through summer? That was also the summer 'The Boy Is Mine' came out and just blew everything out of the water.

I recall it was a little too pop for alternative radio and a little too alternative for all the pop stations, too.

I've always wondered if the beginning has a Madonna clip. There's a female voice that sounds like her.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

There was a short video of a man who lived alone in an apartment, with the hots for his neighbour. The thing was he was half a man, vertically. He kidnaps the woman, slices her in half and sews her onto him. Naturally the two halves don't get along and so she (literally) splits with him. The woman goes about her daily life with a vertical scar.

Have tried to find this over the years, but never found it.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

spookygonk posted:

There was a short video of a man who lived alone in an apartment, with the hots for his neighbour. The thing was he was half a man, vertically. He kidnaps the woman, slices her in half and sews her onto him. Naturally the two halves don't get along and so she (literally) splits with him. The woman goes about her daily life with a vertical scar.

Have tried to find this over the years, but never found it.

What the everloving gently caress? :stare:
Dare I ask if this animated or not? Oh yeah, and music video or just random short film/toon?

Teketeketeketeke fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 23, 2020

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

FilthyImp posted:

I've always wondered if the beginning has a Madonna clip. There's a female voice that sounds like her.

That’s one of them!

Wikipedia posted:

The beginning of the song features a radio scanning through FM stations; among the songs played are Jewel's "Foolish Games", Roy Orbison's "You Got It", and Madonna's "Vogue."

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Teketeketeketeke posted:

What the everloving gently caress? :stare:
Dare I ask if this animated or not? Oh yeah, and music video or just random short film/toon?

It was a random short film I found on the internet years ago, with actors (not animated). Cleverly done FX of the time..

Normally my Google searching can find anything, but not this.

Ha, found it:

Needless to say it's :nws:: and :nms:

Harvey by Peter McDonald

https://youtu.be/QwdcAP_xtTg

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 23, 2020

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Gonna try a xpost:

Literally A Person posted:

I know this is more of a post for the "white whales" thread but since this the place for all the cool punk rock listeners here we go. I'm looking for a recording from a band called Cardiac Kids. They're a California band from the early/mid 90's. Here is the issue, I can't seem to find any of their albums, like even bootlegs. Does anyone have this? Can anyone tell me where to procure one of these guys' records?

Here's a tune from the record I want to find, I think it's self-titled:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UPVh6tUDPQ

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Brolander posted:

NOW, can anyone find proof of an M&M's ripoff called BC's, that were like Sixlets but not round, came in boxes at the movie theater. I wonder if it was some kind of Regal Cinemas house brand. This would be like 93-96ish

The only reference I can find is in the book Sundance to Sarajevo, which says they were made by (and named after) a company called Banner Candy:

https://books.google.com/books?id=Mb9qKvhqiD4C&q=bc%27s#v=snippet&q=bc%27s

Milo and POTUS posted:

Same. The Way is an insanely solid tune and I have no clue where I first remember hearing it but it was at least a decade after the fact. It might have been from here

It has a unique subject matter too: it's a positive interpretation of the true story of two old people who disappeared and were later found dead in a ravine.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
One of those bingo card memes, for pseudo intellectuals. One of the squares was "reads Wikipedia articles"

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:
I play and collect old vintage keyboards. There are a few synthesizers which are definitely white whales. First is the Yamaha GX-1 - a lot like the CS-80, but built like an organ with two manuals and a 25-note pedalboard. Stevie Wonder used one on Songs In The Key of Life. I think they only made, like, 2 dozen of them. Keith Emerson used to own one - Hans Zimmer owns it now. A CS-80 would be sweet too, but they're also rare and fetch stupid prices at auction; we're talking like $30k.
There's also the Ondes Martenot - an early (1930s) instrument that is a lot like a keyed theremin, with three different speaker cabinets for different timbres. Not sure how many of these there are. The coolest part is the control - the keybed can wiggle for vibrato like you would on a cello; there's a ring you can wear on your finger for sliding note to note, and there's a touch-sensitive button for the attack. See the video below.
For electric pianos - I'd like an early Wurlitzer electric piano. I have a 200A and a 120, but there was also a 112, which I think was the first commercially available one they made. I guess they're a nightmare to work on, barely out of the prototype stage and not designed with servicing in mind. I'd also love to find a Rhodes Mark V, the last Fender Rhodes made only briefly in the early 80s before the company folded. There was a version with MIDI output that I would love. They also made a single 88-key one which surfaced within the last couple years (the mold for the plastic shell broke after making that one, and the company folded before they could make more), but it sold to someone in Vegas.
Hammond is best known for their organs - which I own many of - but they also briefly produced the Novachord, which is in essence an early polyphonic synthesizer built entirely with vacuum tubes and a ton of capacitors. They were used on radio programs like a classic recording of War of The Worlds. I can't remember their dimensions, but they're wide enough that you can't get them through a standard doorway. There were also some capacitors in them that used PCBs, so you potentially have haz-mat concerns working on them. The original prototype actually had a velocity-sensitive keyboard, but they decided that added too much to manufacturing costs for what was gained.
There are two models of Hammond organ it would be fun to own - one is the Concert Model E, made in the late 30s and early 40s. The other is the Grand-100 or G100, which didn't have Hammond's signature drawbars; instead it just had stop tabs like a pipe organ. I sent a message to someone with a Model E who sent one reply and haven't heard from since, and there was a G100 across the country that I couldn't get to in time and was scrapped.
As for organs I DO own, well... I honestly am not sure how many I own now but it's probably over 20. The rarest ones are probably a Hammond Model A (serial no. 892, mfd. in 1935), a Model G (made for the US Government during WWII; not many were saved), and a Model M spinet, although Model Ms do seem to come up with some frequency. I also have many Leslie speakers, and there are a couple rare early ones it would be fun to own. I have a 31A, but there was one other prototype model before that, and my 31A does not have the original amplifier. The other rare ones I own are a 50C, and a 122 that may be one of the first 200 built.

videos
GX-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajP6hXHrqkk
Ondes Martenot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy9UBjrUjwo
Novachord (the first couple seconds are a piano)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH5qJHFlBcQ

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:

Solice Kirsk posted:

Reverb, delay, and saw waves for the synth sounds. It's really generic so not sure of the actual patch or anything. Kinda sounds like a Roland.

Could it also be FM synthesis? I know jack about programming FM synths except that they make some unique sounds, and can have that "squishy" quality to them, like the Sega Genesis sound chip or the DX7.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

One of those bingo card memes, for pseudo intellectuals. One of the squares was "reads Wikipedia articles"

To be complete fair to me and other pseudo intellectuals, pretty much everybody reads wikipedia articles

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

weed cat posted:

There's also the Ondes Martenot - an early (1930s) instrument that is a lot like a keyed theremin, with three different speaker cabinets for different timbres. Not sure how many of these there are. The coolest part is the control - the keybed can wiggle for vibrato like you would on a cello; there's a ring you can wear on your finger for sliding note to note, and there's a touch-sensitive button for the attack. See the video below.

The Ondes Martenot is awesome, it's one of those bizarre obscure machines that almost no one knows about but pretty much everyone is familiar with how it sounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5JgvmilwNI

Ghost Who Walks
Jul 15, 2005

High Five.
Bangalla style.

DerekSmartymans posted:

Cubone posted:

"Forgive me," said Holmes, "I weary you with my hobby."
"Not in the least!" I answered. "It is of profound interest to me, since I've been privileged to witness the practical application firsthand."
Holmes accepted this indifferently as he turned to observe our guest, sending thick wreaths from his pipe as he worked his extraordinary genius.
"Well then," he said shortly, "Observation tells me that you have been loafing in alleys, playing dice games in the hopes of earning coppers to pay for malt liquor and menthols. Yesterday, you misplaced your afro pick and you're seeking my help in evading capture from the Korean liquor clerk you hoped to pilfer a replacement from."
The stranger started in surprise.
"I assure you, Mr. Holmes, that all of these conclusions are completely erroneous!"
"Not at all," he replied, with a knowing smile. "On the contrary, they're so elementary that explanation is practically superfluous! From the first moment I saw you, I sensed from your wide brow Sicilian ancestry, a bloodline long polluted by race-mixing with the dark continent. You're practically a quadroon, and thus hardly fit to be seen without the fashionable accessories of your kind."
"The afro pick!" I ejaculated.
Holmes nodded appreciatively, and went on.
"Somebody with your genetic makeup could scarcely resist the ever-present allure of malt liquor and menthols in the rookery, but would never have the ethic to earn the necessary coin through an honest day's work. Your drooping lips indicate far too slow of a wit for a card or cup game. Having eliminated the impossible, only dice games remain."
"Incredible, Holmes!" I said, astonished, "No matter how many times I see you do it, it never ceases to impress!"
"Simplicity itself," my companion replied.
The stranger sputtered in outrage, but Holmes started again.
"By your monolid eyes, I can see your antecedents also miscegenated with Orientals– a more devious and underhanded lot I've never known. You would never think to pay for a replacement afro pick, but you'd also never raise a hand to steal from the inherently decent white men of the culture that civilized you. No, indeed, you could only steal from one of your own. And since you still don't have the afro pick, you must have been caught. Finally, knowing that men of the Far East only betray each other to the law when their ancestry is separated by the divide of seas, the merchant can only have been Korean."
"I just wanted your help solving my brother's murder!" the stranger burst out furiously.
The guest shoved his hat firmly onto his head and stormed out of the door of 221b Baker Street in the kind of emotional outburst typical of his kind, only turning back once to shout, "And I'm 100% Greek you crazy racist son of a bitch!"
"Greek is a euphemism," Holmes said to me quietly, "I didn't see him walk before but now that I have it's obvious that man is a sodomite."
"Simply astounding," I remarked.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

YES! Like I said: I didn’t think it was too bad considering the time it was lampooning, but for all that the only thing that would make it more fun is a crack-recipe in 1899.

Thanks Cubone and Ghost Who Walks🤓!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Forums user Uvar is total bad rear end. He found me info I was looking for for years. Total TOTAL bad rear end. THANK YOU AGAIN FORUMS USER UVAR!!!!11!!!

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Literally A Person posted:

Forums user Uvar is total bad rear end. He found me info I was looking for for years. Total TOTAL bad rear end. THANK YOU AGAIN FORUMS USER UVAR!!!!11!!!

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Does anybody know where the bird in the right hand corner is from.

My friend found all the other ones:

Street Sharks
Transformers or beast wars
Stone Protectors - the troll show for boys.
Earthworm Gym
Creep Critters
Captain Simian & the Space Monkeys
Bucky o'Heir
Gargoyles
Road Rovers
Extreme dinosaurs
Biker Mice from Mars
Swat Kats
Samurai Pizza cats
The cowboys of moomaisa
Battletoads