Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Rick posted:

I don't really like the light ones because they're the ones they're the loosest with the facts on. You can't really bullshit on life and death stuff but they'll happily pretend that David Schultz was main eventing in WWF before the slap for the sake of making the show.
See, that one didn't really bother me: Yes, he was moving down the cards (hence being sacrificed to Inoki the night of the slap), but he was also a guy who had worked two MSG main events as part of two different feuds inside of 60 days earlier in the year, was one of two people (along with Gene Okerlund) specifically brought in by Hogan to make money with, he was loosely aligned with Piper/Orndorff/Orton, and the way the company was booked in 1984 was weird. Hogan had no real feuds, just an assortment of random challengers while Slaughter and Snuka were the babyfaces who had the hot feuds. So when you consider how Hogan specifically brought Schultz in to be his handpicked heel opponent, it probably felt like they were just biding their time before having a real program. It makes perfect sense that Schultz was angry that he wasn't part of WrestleMania, for example, given his storyline ties to the top heel group who was headlining the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
My big takeaway from that episode is that Schultz had a shittier version of Savage's Flying Elbow

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Better Than You posted:

My big takeaway from that episode is that Schultz had a shittier version of Savage's Flying Elbow

Couldn't be worse than CM Punk's.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Sam Roberts had the producers on his podcast yesterday, and they said Chris Jericho and Lance Storm watched UWF Beach Brawl together in 1991 using an illegal cable box, but there was no sound on the PPV feed. So they recorded their own live drunken commentary for the show, and Lance still has the audio cassette somewhere at his house. I guess Jericho has been yelling at him to find it.

Jericho also told them his Nitro debut was at Manatee Civic Center, and that whole afternoon he was walking around marking out saying "I AM ON THE HALLOWED GROUND OF BEACH BRAWL"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MorrisBae posted:

Sam Roberts had the producers on his podcast yesterday, and they said Chris Jericho and Lance Storm watched UWF Beach Brawl together in 1991 using an illegal cable box, but there was no sound on the PPV feed. So they recorded their own live drunken commentary for the show, and Lance still has the audio cassette somewhere at his house. I guess Jericho has been yelling at him to find it.

Jericho also told them his Nitro debut was at Manatee Civic Center, and that whole afternoon he was walking around marking out saying "I AM ON THE HALLOWED GROUND OF BEACH BRAWL"

I cannot process the idea of Lance being drunk

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah I thought the Schultz episode was the weakest so far. It's an interesting story but I don't feel like it was big enough to warrant an entire episode, and it gave Cornette yet another excuse to huff his own farts on camera.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Herb Abrams is trending in 2020. We live in strange times.

Episode was great.

Bill Apter just uploaded this, telling a story I've never heard about Herb running a clothing shop in Flushing, Queens in the 1970s, and how he introduced Herb to pro wrestling:

https://twitter.com/apter1wrestling/status/1257868672011513856

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

MorrisBae posted:

drat, it's true! against the one and only!

edit: I watched it and it's very weird. Alex Wright does a flying nothing from the top into the barricade, is going to be counted out, Jericho asks the ref to call the match and is booed. Then he cuts a promo against Hogan and the NWO and says he and Alex will fight for the WCW, while being booed.

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 6, 2020

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
pretty good episode knowing nothing about uwf or abrams before but it felt like they were only really scratching the surface on this stuff. seems like it could've been a two-parter maybe.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
The only real things they didnt cover that i'm aware of that was worth talking about was the Dr Death, Herb, & Ray work shoot/shoot.

Laughed my rear end off at the multiple deaths of Herb Abrams that the actor was hamming up

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
There’s a lot more

A loooot more

I think the race is going to be on to make a screenplay

Howard Brody’s book had a story about Herb getting Universal Studios Florida to let him tape there for free, so long as the park guests got to watch the show as part of their admission (like TNA would do years later), so Herb stuck his mother at the entrance and had her charge money for the UWF show anyway

Guy had balls of steel

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's really crazy that a promotion that had that kind of talent going through it faded so thoroughly from memory.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I thought Eddie Mansfield had hit the best quote of the series last week, but here comes B. Brian Blair with the mother of all haymakers.

"Herb Abrams left this world doing what he loved: cocaine and hookers."

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

CVagts posted:

I thought Eddie Mansfield had hit the best quote of the series last week, but here comes B. Brian Blair with the mother of all haymakers.

Foley also had a great line in response to being asked what he thought Herb would be doing if he were alive today: "Time."

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

CVagts posted:

I laughed way too hard at that line, I wasn't expecting it at all.

I only knew of Abrams from Foley's first book, so it was interesting to see the story fleshed out a little more.

"Herbie cookies!"

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Herb owning a plus sized women’s clothing store called “I’m A Big a Girl Now” made me cackle

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

MorrisBae posted:

Wait you choose to listen to Sam Roberts speak

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Someone said they can’t see lance storm getting drunk. Which I agree with. But at the same time I totally see him keeping a record of him getting drunk for 30 years

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

personally I wish there was more investigation into how Herb Abrams got all his money (because even though I'd have to believe "I'm A Big Girl Now" wasn't a money pit by any means, there just had to be more to it), but I liked the episode. Steve Ray breaking up at how Herb believed in him and was willing to give him a push got to me. didn't Bix say on his podcast that Steve was a mid-card guy in the foundering Central States promotion before UWF?

that, and I wonder if they can find anyone who tried the cookies.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Troy Queef posted:

Steve Ray breaking up at how Herb believed in him and was willing to give him a push got to me. didn't Bix say on his podcast that Steve was a mid-card guy in the foundering Central States promotion before UWF?
I think he was a Kansas City local, but yeah, that got me to me, too. Aside from a handful of big two house show shots and getting booked on the original IWA Puerto Rico pilot taping in 1994 that didn't go anywhere, his only real bosses in wrestling were Bob Geigel and Herb Abrams, with Herb being the only one who really saw something in him. (And it's not like Herb's eye was off, either: Steve was a solid worker and really charismatic, but needing polishing.)

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Foley also had a great line in response to being asked what he thought Herb would be doing if he were alive today: "Time."

this one in particular got me real good, great episode

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

davidbix posted:

I think he was a Kansas City local, but yeah, that got me to me, too. Aside from a handful of big two house show shots and getting booked on the original IWA Puerto Rico pilot taping in 1994 that didn't go anywhere, his only real bosses in wrestling were Bob Geigel and Herb Abrams, with Herb being the only one who really saw something in him. (And it's not like Herb's eye was off, either: Steve was a solid worker and really charismatic, but needing polishing.)

yeah, given his timing he kinda broke into Missouri wrestling at the exact wrong time. couple years earlier Geigel and CSW was both a bigger draw plus had the partnership with St Louis, which allowed their up-and-coming guys to work the Chase and get shine from all the big names there. when Ray was coming up Geigel was trying to go it alone after Muchnick retired and he found himself fighting both McMahon/Crockett but also Larry Matysik, and the quality/gates dropped accordingly.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
On the topic of "where did Herb get his money", Bill Apter says he met Herb Abrams in the 1970s while he was a kid. Apter was shooting Superstar Billy Graham on the streets of New York, and Herb approached them and wanted Bill to send wrestlers over for an autograph signing at his clothing store in Flushing, Queens. In exchange, Herb said the wrestlers could let their wives have whatever dresses they wanted from the shop for free.

So I'm *thinking* Herb's family must have run the clothing business before he took it over, but I can't find anything major on his parents

Bix - I'm listening to the Deep Dive. Great poo poo, as I don't have access to many newsletter archives beyond Observer.

There was a news blurb you brought up where it was reported Abrams' partner had left the UWF. The guys' name was Arnold Ross - he actually appeared onscreen as the timekeeper and commissioner at the first couple Reseda tapings. The production cards for the first two tapings (first 6 episodes) included his name:

But then beginning with episode 7, the first episode from the November 11, 1990 taping, he was gone:

It seems Mr. Ross saw the writing on the wall and got the hell out of there. The November 11th taping was also the taping where Dan Farren worked as timekeeper and Herb was noticeably agitated and going to go blow coke. It was the same taping where Larry Sampson, the black referee brought in to work an angle with Col. DeBeers, refused to sell and almost got killed backstage.

The Dan Farren interview is streaming here and he starts talking about it at 1:54:27 - I highly recommend it:

http://605pod.com/tag/herb-abrams/

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Apter just uploaded a second part to his story about Herb

Here's both parts

https://twitter.com/apter1wrestling/status/1257868532005711873

https://twitter.com/apter1wrestling/status/1258198029284397063

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

I dunno which thread this should go in, so let's start here!
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1258721603552247813

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
More on Arnold Ross -

Conrad Thompson had the Dark Side guys on his podcast this week. Arnold Ross was a friend of Brian Blair's that Blair (later regrettably) suggested partner with Herb. Arnold's son ran his finances, and sometime after the second TV taping, Arnold noticed larger than normal withdrawals coming from his bank account. Apparently Herb had been creating bullshit invoices that the son paid without hesitation. Arnold split with Herb and never talked to his son again.

:wow:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Next season they should do an ep on Wrestlicious

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

I got a screener of the Owen Hart episode for something I'm working on. It's really, really good. If you know the granular details, then there won't be much in the way of new information, but it lays out enough that people's reactions are going to be VERY interesting. The real story is FAR from having ever hit hardcore fan critical mass, and there's enough of it here, although the full timeline/details of the rigger changes wasn't something they had room for, even if it's makes the WWE negligence more egregious.

It's an especially strong look at the emotions surrounding everything and especially Martha and the kids's side of the WWE HOF bullshit. Its as simple as not wanting to company that killed him to "honor" him, or, as Oje says, "put his name on a piece of silver" just to say they did, as well as how they feel the Owen Hart Foundation is his real legacy. Martha also shows them the clip/snap shackle, which is tinier and opens with less apparent force than you could have ever imagined.

All of the talking heads give good insight. Cornette even breaks down crying on camera; he clearly had not ever fully reckoned with it before filming.

Well worth watching.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Glad to hear it's a good episode, although geez it sounds like a tough watch.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Yeah, it's gonna loving ruin me watching the Owen episode. I remember everything about that PPV and the RAW Is Owen episode so vividly. I still have that episode on a VHS at my mom's house somewhere.

Gonna cry like a loving baby the entire time.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

MorrisBae posted:

More on Arnold Ross -

Conrad Thompson had the Dark Side guys on his podcast this week. Arnold Ross was a friend of Brian Blair's that Blair (later regrettably) suggested partner with Herb. Arnold's son ran his finances, and sometime after the second TV taping, Arnold noticed larger than normal withdrawals coming from his bank account. Apparently Herb had been creating bullshit invoices that the son paid without hesitation. Arnold split with Herb and never talked to his son again.

:wow:

Arnold never spoke to his own son again? That's pretty fuckin' cold.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
This guy wrote an article the other day about how he got suckered into working a weekend's worth of shows for Herb in January 1991

My favorite part

https://medium.com/@mrjeff2000/herb-abrams-t-shirts-and-more-73c756564a15

quote:

Vice Television is running a documentary series about professional wrestling called Dark Side of the Ring. A recent episode, “Cocaine & Cowboy Boots,” covered the swift rise and even-speedier fall of independent promoter Herb Abrams. I watched the episode this past week (watch it for yourself here) with interest, because I briefly knew Herb and worked for his Universal Wrestling Federation (UWF). They portrayed him as a freewheeling cokehead but never mentioned that he was married. I met Herb’s wife, a quiet Asian woman named Murry Lee. For viewers, this nugget possibly would have changed his behavior from titillating to deceitful. I was unaware of his antics at the time, because his wife was present during our interactions.

quote:

I approached the table and re-introduced myself to Murry. She recognized me from the previous night asked if I could sell photos while she used the bathroom. Murry did not return. Not knowing another soul involved with the convention, I simply manned the table for another three hours, until the event’s agenda concluded for the day.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I was a pretty dedicated watcher of WWE Confidential (apparently one of the only ones given how relatively low the ratings were for the show) and I think they may might have done a more complete job of covering the events of the Road Warriors on that show, but this one covered the emotions of everyone and I liked it, and liked how this was almost entirely the told by the wrestlers and Ellering. Also it must have been tough getting this to fit in an hour because so many drat things happened in their careers.

I just watched that infamous Summerslam last week or the week before, and I had forgotten which match it was until it got underway. Poor DiBiase and IRS are basically wrestling a 270lb broomstick, and the finish comes out of nowhere on a flash power slam despite the match feeling like it was 30 minutes long.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

drat Scott Norton sure turned into Jon Favreau, huh?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Rick posted:

I was a pretty dedicated watcher of WWE Confidential (apparently one of the only ones given how relatively low the ratings were for the show) and I think they may might have done a more complete job of covering the events of the Road Warriors on that show, but this one covered the emotions of everyone and I liked it, and liked how this was almost entirely the told by the wrestlers and Ellering. Also it must have been tough getting this to fit in an hour because so many drat things happened in their careers.

I just watched that infamous Summerslam last week or the week before, and I had forgotten which match it was until it got underway. Poor DiBiase and IRS are basically wrestling a 270lb broomstick, and the finish comes out of nowhere on a flash power slam despite the match feeling like it was 30 minutes long.

They also failed to mention that before that Summerslam match, Hawk was so out of it, that he parked his motorcycle on the wrong side of Animal's, so Animal ended up severely burning his leg on the tailpipe of his motorcycle. Burned it so bad that his tights had fused to his leg. So not only could Hawk not wrestle, Animal was basically on one leg.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Herb Abrams is definitely the weakest episode for me. No insight, very little research seemingly, repetitive stories about Herb on coke. I honestly found it kind of boring.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/DarkSideOfRing/status/1260684958298976257?s=20

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Road Warriors episode was weakest one, there wasnt much "dark side" besides Hawk's addiction and death

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

KungFu Grip posted:

Road Warriors episode was weakest one, there wasnt much "dark side" besides Hawk's addiction and death

Total filler ep but then the season was built on Benoit and the Owen stories and its rating well so i can see them doing more. i wish they had dropped this ep and maybe brawl for all and extended the snuka one to two parts and maybe dino bravo or the david schultz one just to get into his bounty hunting stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
They had enough suggestions on twitter when they asked about a 2nd season they probably have enough material or cases to look at for a season 3 already. A lot of people suggested the ring boy scandal for example so maybe they thought with two big heavy hitters they had enough for this season