Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Infinitum posted:

I love the follow up page that clearly shows those that didn't move were spared.

Source is Kill Six Billion Demons which is always a fun read.
Currently doing it's Tournament Arc :v:

EDIT: You edited the link in :argh: :v:

of course, this page you cited* is the really bad rear end part, go read it

*corrected oops

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Apr 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

You still need to go one page further for more badass-ness, even if it's kindof an anime speach.

There's only one page since this one, so we'll see how it turns out!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, 82 White Chain is gonna be 83 White Chain pretty soon.

This whole tournament arc was loving intense.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Chainsaw Man - Chapter 68

In the world of Chainsaw Man there are demons based around certain things. So you can have a Chainsaw demon, or a Sword demon, etc, etc. One of the most ancient demons is the Darkness Demon, which has lent a portion of it's power to a human.

The darker it gets, the more powerful it becomes.
And it was already functionally immortal BEFORE nightfall began.

Right <- Left

So how does one even BEGIN to fight the Primordial Concept of Darkness after getting punked into a petrol station?

Simples!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
So he pulled a Dan McNinja?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

biracial bear for uncut posted:

So he pulled a Dan McNinja?

It’s kinda the opposite. This time he’s lighting himself on fire to catch somebody, not to keep himself from being caught (by ninjas)

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

I believe it's known as the Ares manoeuvre.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Not shown: Ares going "gently caress yeah, that was awesome! Set me on fire for every fight from now on!" :supaburn:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Infinitum posted:

Chainsaw Man - Chapter 68

I should probably read Chainsaw Man huh?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

team overhead smash posted:

What's this from?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Cabbit posted:

What's this from?

Dark Avengers: Ares

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Actually that's the Ares limited series that came out in 2006.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

team overhead smash posted:

Orion did something similar in JLA #33. I think somebody hit him with a car and got gasoline all over him.

(The bad guys here are vulnerable to fire, you see.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

prefect posted:

Orion did something similar in JLA #33. I think somebody hit him with a car and got gasoline all over him.

(The bad guys here are vulnerable to fire, you see.)

Is that Morrison's run?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Skwirl posted:

Is that Morrison's run?

Yeah, that's the only reason I know about it. (I've always been more of a Marvel zombie, you see...)

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

It's Morrison's run but that issue was part of a story by Mark Waid. I think it's the same story that that page of Plastic Man tricking Barda into wearing him as a dress that gets posted all the time came from.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Alacron posted:

I should probably read Chainsaw Man huh?

https://twitter.com/MinovskyArticle/status/1254608764004716544?s=20

idk, should you? :v:

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that's the Amputation Devil.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
This one requires a little set up

Dead Man Logan #11: If you've never read the original Old Man Logan, a quick rundown: all the villains successfully team up to kill every hero in the Marvel U, sans a few stragglers. After Thor died, Mjolnir has naturally remained stuck on the ground. Anyway, now for this series, Wolverine is dying because the regular Wolverine came back in 616 and hey have you seen the hit film Logan let's just do that of his healing factor failing due to age plus the side effects of a drug he's been taking to temporarily crank up his healing factor like the good ol' days. All he wants to do is get back to his home so he can be buried with his family when he finally does die. While getting across the country he's trying to make things right in his final days by helping Dani Cage protect Bruce Banner Jr. from the various groups out there who want to either weaponize or kill the last Hulk, and from the groups who want to kill him. Like Sabretooth!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Yeah, that's the good stuff.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
So I guess Dani didn't inherit either of her parents' resistance to bullets then?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gnome de plume posted:

So I guess Dani didn't inherit either of her parents' resistance to bullets then?

Special bullets (they don't say what kind of bullshit super-metal is in 'em). Specifically stated to be the same kind that killed her dad.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Not casting any aspersions on this comic in particular (although that helmet should have a tiara motif), but was anything ever done in comics to redeem the Old Man Logan setting?

Because it's pretty Millar-y in the worst way, but they keep going back to it. Maybe because Logan (the movie) was good?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I thought Old Man Hawkeye was kind of neat, mostly because I like a) stories where somebody has to go down a list of enemies to fight, b) the original Thunderbolts.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Did anyone read Old Man Quill? That seemed like the dumbest idea for a spin-off, like if you were even going in that direction why the gently caress wouldn't you do Old Raccoon Rocket?

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Supersonic Shine posted:

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that's the Amputation Devil.

That's the Darkness Devil itself. The one chainsawman is fighting is a human (I think) whose been powered up by the Doll Devil and a tiny bit of the Darkness Devil's power. The powered up human can be fought, it's just terrifyingly powerful.

When you try and fight the Darkness Devil itself, this sort of poo poo happens.

In the chainsawman universe, the power of the devil is based on how much humanity fears it. The tomato devil (yes, there is a tomato devil) is a chump, but the Typhoon devil is a badass. Devils also alternate between Hell and Earth as their killed. A demon killed in Hell appears on earth, and if they're killed on Earth then they're sent back to Hell.

The most powerful demon ever to appear on earth is the Gun Devil. The Gun devil moved across every continent on the planet, killing millions of people, in the course of a minute or so.

Because the Gun Devil appeared on Earth, that means it died in Hell and was "banished" to the human world.

The Darkness Devil is powered by humanity's fear of the dark. The Darkness Devil has never appeared on Earth, because it has never died.

So yes, you should read chainsawman, it's incredible and basically each chapter has at least one HOLY poo poo moment (even if it's just Holy poo poo, I can't believe the protagonist is this much of a dumbass).

oriongates fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 18, 2020

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

oriongates posted:

When you try and fight the Darkness Devil itself, this sort of poo poo happens.

drat, that's horrifying!

(all three came up like that when clicked on since I see nothing inline)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

OnimaruXLR posted:

Not casting any aspersions on this comic in particular (although that helmet should have a tiara motif), but was anything ever done in comics to redeem the Old Man Logan setting?

Because it's pretty Millar-y in the worst way, but they keep going back to it. Maybe because Logan (the movie) was good?
My best guess is dadfeels for people who grew up thinking Wolverine is awesome and are now getting old enough to feel a little less invincible than they once did. Dadfeels are a major mover of nerd-rear end merch. I half wonder sometimes if it's actually much different from the moe stuff in manga and anime, just usually covered in dirt.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Nessus posted:

My best guess is dadfeels for people who grew up thinking Wolverine is awesome and are now getting old enough to feel a little less invincible than they once did.

I never made this connection before reading this but I just turned 38 and now having lower back problems so it hits home.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

sticksy posted:

I never made this connection before reading this but I just turned 38 and now having lower back problems so it hits home, bub.

Fixed that for you.

The Millar-ness of the setting has certainly gone down, so there's that.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I dont even think it's the same Old Man Logan world as Millar's work.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

David D. Davidson posted:

I dont even think it's the same Old Man Logan world as Millar's work.

It sorta is. It references lots of stuff from the original, including the messed up Hulk situation. Technically it's not, in the sense that every world got blown up and then some got rebuilt during the newest Secret Wars.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

TwoPair posted:

Special bullets (they don't say what kind of bullshit super-metal is in 'em). Specifically stated to be the same kind that killed her dad.

*Sabertooth Voice*
I suppose it's poetic justice. Two Cages! with the same gun!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OnimaruXLR posted:

I think for the most part the OML setting is just an intriguing one, which is why people want to keep revisiting it (aside from yes, the Logan thing). The original, for all it's Millar-y faults, presented a devastated world with a simple premise ("the villains won, the world's poo poo") and left enough unseen that readers, and now of course authors, get to speculate all about how exactly the villains did win, how life in the post-apocalypse is, and to tell stories with the characters left (and to take advantage of characters Millar didn't specify as dead in the original, like for example, Viv Vision).

Brownhat posted:

It sorta is. It references lots of stuff from the original, including the messed up Hulk situation. Technically it's not, in the sense that every world got blown up and then some got rebuilt during the newest Secret Wars.

Yeah, in addition to talking about how Logan just up and left during Secret Wars (before getting dragged back to the Prime universe), it also adds/retcons some stuff from then-current 616 continuity. Like Logan flashes back to the villain uprising and sees a dead Avengers team of the All-New All-Different Avengers with Miles, Kamala, and Sam Wilson Captain America.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 19, 2020

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

I'm kinda curious what's going on in Asgard in the OML universe.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Brownhat posted:

I'm kinda curious what's going on in Asgard in the OML universe.

It's been forever, but isn't it walled off from the rest of the world (being the Asgard established on Earth). Weren't they the one's that zapped OML to 616?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

TwoPair posted:

I think for the most part the OML setting is just an intriguing one, which is why people want to keep revisiting it (aside from yes, the Logan thing). The original, for all it's Millar-y faults, presented a devastated world with a simple premise ("the villains won, the world's poo poo") and left enough unseen that readers, and now of course authors, get to speculate all about how exactly the villains did win, how life in the post-apocalypse is, and to tell stories with the characters left (and to take advantage of characters Millar didn't specify as dead in the original, like for example, Viv Vision).

I dunno, it's probably just a matter of personal taste, but "bad guys won" AUs are a dime a dozen and much prefer stuff like the cyberpunk nightmare of AOA or any number of Dooms "I won but I'm bored now" setups than the Mad Max pastiche stuff in the Old Man Logan setting, and that's before you get into inbred Hulks hillbillies

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Millar's presentation of Hulk sucks rear end, both in OML and in early Ultimates, I'm glad it's mostly been plowed under and had some much better things grow out of it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

OnimaruXLR posted:

I dunno, it's probably just a matter of personal taste, but "bad guys won" AUs are a dime a dozen and much prefer stuff like the cyberpunk nightmare of AOA or any number of Dooms "I won but I'm bored now" setups than the Mad Max pastiche stuff in the Old Man Logan setting, and that's before you get into inbred Hulks hillbillies

AoA is my favorite comics alternate universe. Yeah, it was kind of grimdark but the alternate paths the characters took were all interesting and none of them felt really out of place for them. I should go back and reread all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

AoA is my favorite comics alternate universe. Yeah, it was kind of grimdark but the alternate paths the characters took were all interesting and none of them felt really out of place for them. I should go back and reread all that.

Didn't they ruin that universe by trying to bring it back and killing like 3/4 of the cast and depowering the others.