Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

There’s a tool belt? Is that where the canteen is? I think mine still has two red “X”s on its menu. Maybe the rock goes into one of those?

No joke. If I have a rock, I either never knew about it, or it seemed useless and I just forgot about it.

The hologram generator is a reward for delivering a few things to the Film Director. If you have it, it'll be in your up dpad menu.

Edit: up, not left, oops. And yeah you may have to click R3 while holding the dpad if you have enough items to fill a whole page on the wheel.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Speaking of the item wheel its a great way to lose gear you didnt realize you even had on you

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

do they ever explain why sam's clothing (really everyone's clothing) is immune to timefall when nothing else is? even fragile's flashback shows that the barest hint of clothing protects the covered area completely. i know the obvious answer is "it's a video game don't think about it too hard" but it's a kojima game so i 100% expect there to be some ridiculously complicated and overthought answer. but i don't recall ever having a 10 minute cutscene explain in gratuitous detail why clothing garments are the only thing immune to timefall. seems like they should just be stitching big blankets out of shirts and pants and wrapping all the cargo in those first.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Freaking Crumbum posted:

do they ever explain why sam's clothing (really everyone's clothing) is immune to timefall when nothing else is? even fragile's flashback shows that the barest hint of clothing protects the covered area completely. i know the obvious answer is "it's a video game don't think about it too hard" but it's a kojima game so i 100% expect there to be some ridiculously complicated and overthought answer. but i don't recall ever having a 10 minute cutscene explain in gratuitous detail why clothing garments are the only thing immune to timefall. seems like they should just be stitching big blankets out of shirts and pants and wrapping all the cargo in those first.

I think porter clothes are just supposed to be some kind of durable material but they never explain it as far as I remember. You do have a few "timefall-resistant clothing" delivery missions; maybe it's just really expensive to make or something so they can't afford to do more than clothe a handful of porters in it.

I suspect Fragile was supposed to be nude in that cutscene except for Higgs's head covering but they knew that wouldn't make it past review boards so underwear it is. She or Higgs said something about her body being completely messed up from her timefall run but her face was preserved by the mask. She's always eating cryptobiotes as a result of the timefall run.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Timefall resistance uses chiralium as a resource, right? All the best resistance stuff is gold because of it. So I'm guessing the answer would be that it's not plentiful or easy enough to make everything out of it. For clothes the only people really are Sam and Higgs because nobody else is really spending any time out in timefall. Could assume that the clothes are replaced but we just don't see it, assuming the stars on his thigh are reproduced.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

It wouldnt suprise me if the suits are made from some high grade plastic material or something

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well to be fair, at some point you can't really get more wet. Timefall turns into normal water when it hits something, so if you've already been out in the rain a while your susceptibility to timefall is probably actually lower because you're already wet from the runoff. Timefall hits the runoff you're covered in, not you or technically your clothes, which slows the degredation process. At least that's how The Kojima Of It All would probably explain it if it had to be explained MGS style.

edit: Also explains why fish are so prevalent. The game world you can run around in has hardly any living creatures above ground save for insects or birds, but sometimes you can see fish swimming around just fine if you look in streams or lake water. Of course sea life would be fine, the timefall can't touch them.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 12, 2020

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Lobok posted:

Timefall resistance uses chiralium as a resource, right? All the best resistance stuff is gold because of it. So I'm guessing the answer would be that it's not plentiful or easy enough to make everything out of it. For clothes the only people really are Sam and Higgs because nobody else is really spending any time out in timefall. Could assume that the clothes are replaced but we just don't see it, assuming the stars on his thigh are reproduced.

The Chiral Artist gives you Chiral Boots as reward for some deliveries and the description mentions something about chiralium poisoning if they're worn for too long. It also mentions that some people are naturally resistant to chiralium poisoning (I'm guessing that's people with DOOMS).

Speaking of, do those boots have any actual in-game negative affect? Or is it just, "normal people couldn't wear these but Sam can handle it"?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

untzthatshit posted:

The Chiral Artist gives you Chiral Boots as reward for some deliveries and the description mentions something about chiralium poisoning if they're worn for too long. It also mentions that some people are naturally resistant to chiralium poisoning (I'm guessing that's people with DOOMS).

Speaking of, do those boots have any actual in-game negative affect? Or is it just, "normal people couldn't wear these but Sam can handle it"?

Oh yeah, you're right. Forgot about the poisoning.

No, those boots don't have any effect that I noticed.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Midjack posted:

I suspect Fragile was supposed to be nude in that cutscene except for Higgs's head covering but they knew that wouldn't make it past review boards so underwear it is.

nah, they wanted her to have big perky boobs and a tight butt in her leather catsuit and that wouldn't have made sense if she was completely nude for the timefall bath

i actually liked higgs as a creepy villain and hated how they [ending spoilers] bait and switch with him to keep the story running. battling him was way more satisfying than shooting rockets at a loving space whale for 5 minutes, even if the 1v1 aspect of his fight dragged on way too long

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Freaking Crumbum posted:

nah, they wanted her to have big perky boobs and a tight butt in her leather catsuit and that wouldn't have made sense if she was completely nude for the timefall bath

i actually liked higgs as a creepy villain and hated how they [ending spoilers] bait and switch with him to keep the story running. battling him was way more satisfying than shooting rockets at a loving space whale for 5 minutes, even if the 1v1 aspect of his fight dragged on way too long

Once that last fight was over I thought about the whole game and I was like "did I just play a weird take on Link's Awakening?"

-the big ol' whale
-beach/beaches
-imaginary people
-player's quest bringing about the end of the world

Also, the remake came out last year.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 12, 2020

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Lobok posted:

Once that last fight was over I thought about the whole game and I was like "did I just play a weird take on Link's Awakening?"

-the big ol' whale
-beach/beaches
-imaginary people
-player's quest bringing about the end of the world

Also, the LA remake came out last year.

:O

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

CJacobs posted:

Well to be fair, at some point you can't really get more wet. Timefall turns into normal water when it hits something, so if you've already been out in the rain a while your susceptibility to timefall is probably actually lower because you're already wet from the runoff. Timefall hits the runoff you're covered in, not you or technically your clothes, which slows the degredation process. At least that's how The Kojima Of It All would probably explain it if it had to be explained MGS style.

edit: Also explains why fish are so prevalent. The game world you can run around in has hardly any living creatures above ground save for insects or birds, but sometimes you can see fish swimming around just fine if you look in streams or lake water. Of course sea life would be fine, the timefall can't touch them.

I wonder if a sort of jet of compressed air shot out in a flat circle would be a good way of dealing with timefall IRL?

Something like this?

I mean, you'd have to carry an air compressor too, but FutureCompressors™ would be more compact, right?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

The barriers surrounding knot cities are actually air pressure walls.

The game tells you this if you try to get past one.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

WaltherFeng posted:

The barriers surrounding knot cities are actually air pressure walls.

The game tells you this if you try to get past one.

Like when you accidentally try to motorcycle through one at top speed.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I spent the huge amount of time I played this game hoping it would get a photomode someday and then I loaned out my copy right before Quarantine happened and then it got photomode and it's killing me

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Is this a sex toy from Wish?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Thinking about how this game was very good

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Y'know what I think would've been fun, expansions for Hawaii and Alaska. Just a little bit more of America for Sam to hook up to the network, accessed via teleport from Fragile.

Once you reach Chapter (whatever) you can teleport to some Knot City way on the very edge of the Chiral Network and it's Sam's job to hook up the whole region. The Alaska map could be focused around snow traversal, maybe include Sam's bike from the intro that had that cool skid thing on the front for skimming over snowy plains or forests. The Hawaii map could be based on long distance travel over water, like the timefall has eroded the islands into several smaller isles. Alaska could be almost completely destroyed because of the snow accelerating the rate at which the timefall erodes any structures, meanwhile Hawaii could have more intense tropical storms that melt your cargo's box health like nothing.

Completing them could get you new equipment to fabricate in the main game, or expand your Chiral Network bandwidth with theirs so you could plop down more structures. I'm just imagining stuff like a new skeleton that lets you walk on water or triple jump but it drains your battery like a mother. Or a floating carrier that had some kind of Chiral Crystal powered motor so you could surf on it over water. Or a bike with off-road suspension that no longer has to deal with those annoying little pebbles that you bonk off of unless you're doing a wheelie.

I dunno, I just wish there was more Death Stranding for me to play I guess lol

edit: And maybe each region could have its own side story with new distro center folks. Timefall snow speeding up degradation would have to leave Alaska essentially terminal. The people there could be struggling to come to terms with the idea that there's really nothing they can do. But with Sam introducing BRIDGES or Fragile Express to the region, they could become hopeful that the rest of the world will still go on, like a microcosm of the game's own themes. Hawaii could refuse Sam's help because they have their own delivery network set up and he has to join it to cooperate with them, resulting in another dangly bit hanging from his belt or whatever like Fragile's miçanga.

Hire me Kojima Productions I'll run you into the ground by being a useless ideas guy with no actual skills

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 15, 2020

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Macaluso posted:

Thinking about how this game was very good

same

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So in my current game i am trying to 5 start windfarm guy but there doesn't seem to be any more deliveries for him at the moment? I have a bot running the last delivery for him i had and i don't think there is a way to cancel/call it back?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Shame Boy posted:

So in my current game i am trying to 5 start windfarm guy but there doesn't seem to be any more deliveries for him at the moment? I have a bot running the last delivery for him i had and i don't think there is a way to cancel/call it back?

Missions will respawn after some time passes.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

I beat the game last night. I picked up my save having just crossed the tar belt at around 4 or 5pm and went to bed after reaching the post game at 1am. I loved every bit of this game from start to finish and am determined to keep delivering till I get that platinum trophy. I've only got a few facilities left to max out, the Veteran Porter and First Prepper. As well as Englert.

I should probably just spoiler the rest of this post to talk about end game stuff -

I've seen some discussion about the game being too easy and there not being enough points where you can actually fail. But I had ramped up the difficulty to Hard in Chapter 8 so that I could start working on the Legend of Legends trophy and I never turned it back down. And yeah, I died a lot in the last 6 chapters. To be fair, most of those were to the first phase of the Higgs fight before I remembered that the strand, this tool I hadn't used since Chaper 2, was the only thing I had equipped. But that last delivery was brutal too and I failed that at least 3 times. One of the funnier failed runs I was dashing through Mule territory and there were about 6 of them closing in on me. The only equipment I really had on me were a couple of assault rifles so I thought, "if ever there was a time in this game where it was necessary to kill humans, it's right now". So I blasted my way through them, only to have Lou go into autotoxemia, get caught by a BT and my cargo sink into the tar and get ruined.

I had a :aaaaa: moment during the first credit sequence as well - I kept thinking "this is dumb, why am I running around aimlessly on this beach in between spurts of exposition by Amelie? This should have been a cutscene, I'm just wasting time standing around". Then it slowly dawned me on that Sam's trapped on that beach with no escape...

Overall I found the ending to be very satisfying. It's a lot of exposition all at once but at this point I had 70+ hours logged in the game and frankly I wanted all this closure damnit! I'm sad that it's over, but glad that I still have a little post game round up to do. I think this has become my favourite game of all time, at least that I've played in my adult life. Everything I hear other people complain about or criticize, I think is great. I loved the story, the pacing, the combat, heck, even the vehicle portions. For me, it was just a perfectly awesome experience and I'm not ready to be done with it!

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

untzthatshit posted:

I should probably just spoiler the rest of this post to talk about end game stuff -

I had a :aaaaa: moment during the first credit sequence as well - I kept thinking "this is dumb, why am I running around aimlessly on this beach in between spurts of exposition by Amelie? This should have been a cutscene, I'm just wasting time standing around". Then it slowly dawned me on that Sam's trapped on that beach with no escape...

I was thinking "wait, didn't Amelie and Sam leave the beach that one time by running along the water?"
So I tried that...
Teleported back to the middle.
"Hmm, I'm sure when they were running that the water was on their right... but I'll try running along the beach the other way..."
Teleported back to the middle...
"Do I need to run along the beach making 'princess beach' puns for it to work?"
But that's when the first Amelie explanation scene kicked in so I never got a chance to try it...

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

untzthatshit posted:

I love when Sam and Deadman talk at the end of the game Sam asks "wait if I was gone for months in real life and time works differently on the Beach how long was I there" Deadman just nervously says "don't think about it"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I FINALLY FIGURED OUT WHAT THE BELL ACCESSORY DOES, CHRIST.

It marks BTs on your touchpad map. As in, permanently. As soon as you come near a BT zone they pop up on the touchpad map and you can even stick markers on them.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Wait..the accessories do stuff?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

mycot posted:

I love when Sam and Deadman talk at the end of the game Sam asks "wait if I was gone for months in real life and time works differently on the Beach how long was I there" Deadman just nervously says "don't think about it"

If I recall correctly, Heartman says that he spends 8 hours searching every time he dies, for 3 minutes.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
But aren't the timescales on the beaches relative? Like one beach may run at 3mins real time to 8 hours beach time, but another may not. Or is it all just entirely outside time frame references?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I just got to Heartman for the first time and I feel trolled

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Beat the game last night, loved it, long and weird ending but very good. Looked up how to finish the Platinum and realized I haven't been using premium deliveries and I already 5-starred almost everybody. I'll probably go back and platinum this one for the hell of it but boy that trophy for 80 premium deliveries on hard would've been nice to know about 40 hours ago.

I was sure for a while there that Sam was Lou and there was some Ha/Ka time travel bullshit going on, in a little relieved it was just that the memories were Sam's, not Lou. IMO the decision to have solid actors like Mads for those bits helped sell the melodrama a lot. I teared up when Cliff started singing to baby Sam and realizing why Cliff and Sam both whistle the same tune. Stealth best dad game? Sam freeing Lou hit me really hard and made me want to have kids, which is not at all a reaction I expected from any game, especially not one as weird as this.

Is there any better explanation of what it means to be an Extinction Entity or what that black skull mask was about or why Higgs gold mask made Amelie turn into a Drakengard character?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The black mask I think is a sign of whoever is the leader of BRIDGES, which was Bridget back in the day. Masks are bad, because they are like walls for the face...you know this is probably the one bit of commentary in this game that hasn't aged so well.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Was there any meta-commentary to the oxygen mask, or was that excluded as a functional mask?

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Death Stranding is officially the first game I've ever bothered (or was able too) platinum. God I love this game.

Toughest trophy was the grade 60 in every category. There aren't really enough timed deliveries and most of the ones that do exist give few likes. At first the biggest timed delivery I could find was transporting 600 KG from South Knot to the Geologist. Which the only way I could figure would involve driving a truck across the river, past Timefall Farm and up the snowy mountain. I never got to find out how much of a nightmare driving up the mountain would be as before I even got to Timefall farm I took a tumble down the cliff in my truck and it threw me out, and then exploded in my face, destroying my packages and blowing Sam clear of the wreckage.

Eventually I figured out there's a large delivery from Port Knot to Central Knot that requires a truck but there's no roads there so it actually is an interesting run and it gives you 1000+ likes.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

untzthatshit posted:

Death Stranding is officially the first game I've ever bothered (or was able too) platinum. God I love this game.

Toughest trophy was the grade 60 in every category. There aren't really enough timed deliveries and most of the ones that do exist give few likes. At first the biggest timed delivery I could find was transporting 600 KG from South Knot to the Geologist. Which the only way I could figure would involve driving a truck across the river, past Timefall Farm and up the snowy mountain. I never got to find out how much of a nightmare driving up the mountain would be as before I even got to Timefall farm I took a tumble down the cliff in my truck and it threw me out, and then exploded in my face, destroying my packages and blowing Sam clear of the wreckage.

Eventually I figured out there's a large delivery from Port Knot to Central Knot that requires a truck but there's no roads there so it actually is an interesting run and it gives you 1000+ likes.

There's a timed delivery from the Engineer to the Weather Station which earned me 6-7 levels per delivery.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

untzthatshit posted:

There are a couple between Lake and South that need a truck and are trivial if you’ve built the roads. Just let them respawn while you go do the Doctor to Mountaineer one over zip lines and you’ll get the time ranks up fast.

night slime
May 14, 2014

mycot posted:

The black mask I think is a sign of whoever is the leader of BRIDGES, which was Bridget back in the day. Masks are bad, because they are like walls for the face...you know this is probably the one bit of commentary in this game that hasn't aged so well.

I think it's a fair statement. Past the functional benefit of the mask right now, some research has been done showing we're comforted through facial expressions and that they are an essential part of human communication. A lack of them promotes anxiety, I'm pretty sure. I mean, plague doctors would show up at someone's bedside and the resultant associations with the bird mask/lack of face would sometimes scare and kill a patient.

Got annoyed at my mask breathing the other day and for some reason it made me remember the game has a breath-holding survival mechanic. I mean, I knew before, but I kinda know more now, you know.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
Hey did anything ever happen with that weird youtube account that was cryptically mentioning weird hints and said they were a member of the team?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Capital Letdown posted:

Hey did anything ever happen with that weird youtube account that was cryptically mentioning weird hints and said they were a member of the team?

Presumably he / they is just a super fan who knows his poo poo but also spreads hoaxes for whatever reason.

He still pretends he's a KojiPro employee but I have my doubts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

night slime
May 14, 2014
He's still mumbling about random stuff. Enjoying FF7R and Animal Crossing now I guess. He's here:

https://old.reddit.com/user/suff0lk

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEDts7gKKEuycplCC1dOu_A