Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Looking at the SVS outlet store online, they have a few refurbs of the PB12 for $450. Is this a decent purchase or should I get something newer? That price is definitely the max I'd want to spend for a sub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Stan Taylor posted:

Looking at the SVS outlet store online, they have a few refurbs of the PB12 for $450. Is this a decent purchase or should I get something newer? That price is definitely the max I'd want to spend for a sub.

That's a hell of a lot of sub for the money and probably the best deal you're going to find on anything that's not very used. I've seen them go for $400 used even recently and it's free shipping right?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Free shipping, yeah. Plus they have a five year warranty and pictures of the blemishes on each unit for sale. Most are little scratches on corners which I'm not too worried about since I'll have it out of the way as much as possible. In terms of setup would I want to angle the sub anywhere or could I just stick it in the corner behind my tv cabinet?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

At sub frequencies you don't need to point it particularly, but you will find certain locations work better than others. There is a method* where you put the sub in the listener's location and then crawl around until you find the best spot. Then put the sub there.

*is it a good method? I don't really know

re: sub pricing, I spent that much DIYing a 12" sub, I'd jump on that price

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The best location for a sub in an apartment building* is not near any shared wall/floor/ceiling adjacent to a neighbor's bedroom

Nothing like waking up at 3am to the bass line of daradue sandstorm four nights a week

*gently caress you for even considering it

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

You can have a sub in an apartment if you are considerate. Which includes not playing darude sandstorm at any time, day or night.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That's a hell of a lot of sub for the money and probably the best deal you're going to find on anything that's not very used. I've seen them go for $400 used even recently and it's free shipping right?

Worth cancelling my HSU VTF-2 order? Ordered it today.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 14, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Residency Evil posted:

Worth cancelling my HSU VTF-2 order? Ordered it today.

Eh... I'd put them in different categories. A more apt comparison would be the PB-2000, in which case, the SVS would win it in everything but price.
The PB-12 is still better than the HSU at lower frequencies... which is what a sub is for.
If you don't mind a scratch I'd say the PB-12 is a better deal since you can save almost $150 after figuring in shipping.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I already have a PB-12 and getting another would be mighty tempting...

Edit: wait no, it's an SB12. Mixing the two probably wouldn't work well.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

qirex posted:

It's really hard to do midbass [eg male voices] from the small drivers soundbars use, signal processing can make up for it a bit but a 3" driver has to move 4 times farther than a 6" one to produce the same volume at a given frequency. If you replace them there will definitely be compromises but the difference between 3 towers vs one soundbar is significant. If you're looking at spending Sonos money maybe consider the Bluesound option? It has bigger drivers and also does voice control. Another option would be a Sonos Amp or Bluesound Powernode2i with only 2 of your towers.

Thanks. I’ve been skeptical of small drivers ever since I bought a pair of the much praised Audioengine A2s, which sound terrible to me. I’ll save the money for now.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

KillHour posted:

I already have a PB-12 and getting another would be mighty tempting...

Edit: wait no, it's an SB12. Mixing the two probably wouldn't work well.

Nothing wrong with mixing them, really. The PB12 is tuned lower and will make a noticeable impact on very low end output in movies. For music you probably wouldn't notice much.

taqueso posted:

You can have a sub in an apartment if you are considerate. Which includes not playing darude sandstorm at any time, day or night.

Get the SVS SoundPath feet, they really make a difference.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Eh... I'd put them in different categories. A more apt comparison would be the PB-2000, in which case, the SVS would win it in everything but price.
The PB-12 is still better than the HSU at lower frequencies... which is what a sub is for.
If you don't mind a scratch I'd say the PB-12 is a better deal since you can save almost $150 after figuring in shipping.

Looks like the newer hsu has decent output to 18, maybe a bit lower than the older pb12?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Wibla posted:

Nothing wrong with mixing them, really. The PB12 is tuned lower and will make a noticeable impact on very low end output in movies. For music you probably wouldn't notice much.

If the subs have different phase response then you'd need to fiddle with that to get them aligned properly which is test tone and RTA mic territory. I'm not aware if AV receivers have the settings on them to add different subs and for them to work it out for themselves.

If you just chuck it into a setup, best case is it works perfectly, worst case is you end up with one sub pulling out what the other is trying to play so less SPL at lord knows what frequencies.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Tacier posted:

Thanks. I’ve been skeptical of small drivers ever since I bought a pair of the much praised Audioengine A2s, which sound terrible to me. I’ll save the money for now.

There's passive soundbars, some with decently sized woofers. Maybe check those out as a compromise? Something like this.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
What’s people’s opinions of a 5.1.2 Atmos setup using the front upward facing speakers as the height speakers? Worth it or gimmick?

I’m probably gonna set it up anyway because the Pioneer Atmos Add-on speakers are stupid cheap on Amazon and they match my existing speakers which makes me happy, but I’m curious to hear how much of a real world difference I can expect vs my existing 5.1 setup.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I bought four RP-140SA upward firing speakers and would rather have just flushed the money down the toilet because then I wouldn't have had to cable them. I don't think it does anything.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It's kind of neat but there is very little atmos content and it's not well used and I don't think it will ever be as widely adopted as surround, which it can still be hard to find good surround channel content.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Haha oh well like I said I already bought them but they were real cheap and I just want to make the most use out of my new receiver. If I didn't have to hook up a new receiver and re-run all the wires anyway I wouldn't be doing it.

Regarding the amount of Atmos content available - will the speakers just sit dormant if I'm not watching content with an Atmos mix? Or is there some kind of Dolby Pro Logic II-type thing for Atmos?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
The Dolby Surround, DTS Neural:X, and Auro:3D presets on my receiver all upmix to include the height channels.

Ceiling speakers are so loving good and cool, so if you have the option to do that to utilize your receiver, I would.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
The SVS I ordered came in today and it's loving huge. Like way huger than I expected. I might have to move my whole living room around to make it look not stupidly out of place. Holy poo poo. It's big!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Stan Taylor posted:

The SVS I ordered came in today and it's loving huge. Like way huger than I expected. I might have to move my whole living room around to make it look not stupidly out of place. Holy poo poo. It's big!

Yeah bud. Subs are big, and that's a smol boi.
I always get a kick out of people that have that shocking realization for the first time.

Catte for scale.

and little man

and tweet
https://twitter.com/svs_sound/status/784154748345683968

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 15, 2020

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

My "baby" Rythmik still weighs over 50 pounds. That's part of what makes them work!

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
It's taller than my dog! I just didn't want to have to reckon with my horribly inconvenient power outlet placements any time soon, but yeah I'll probably have to flip the whole orientation of my living room. Oh well. Quarantine!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
lol Jesus Christ. And I was thinking my wife might not notice a sub immediately.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Hmm my v2w is only 80 pounds I better up my game

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
There's some slim subs out there that you could look into if you don't have room for a gigantic box. I was thinking about grabbing this one to stow under my couch, but I live in an apartment so I have to decide how much I hate my neighbors first. I've decided to continue going without a sub.....FOR NOW.

Also, silly question. I bought a 50ft spool of 12AWG speaker cable for my impending re-wiring project. I know I probably didn't need 12AWG, but 14 and 16AWG were out of stock at Monoprice and I figured it couldn't hurt to get the 12AWG. That was before I decided to get the additional Atmos speakers. Now that I have two additional speakers to wire, I don't think 50ft will be enough.

Do I need to make sure all the speakers in my setup are wired with the same gauge wire? Or does that not matter?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
^^^ Don't bother.
Just get a rumble seat / Aura Pro / ButtKicker https://thebuttkicker.com/buttkicker-lfe/

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

buttkicker life

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Looking at setting it up now I thought I’d be using my spoil of speaker wiring but it looks like it’s an rca hookup? Any standard cheap cable will be fine right? And my receiver has two plugs on the back and the sub has six. I’m good to just use one cable to the lfe port or should I run two?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
It's for passthrough for use cases where you don't have a receiver with a subwoofer out. If you do, just run one cable from the receiver to either the left or right line-in -- doesn't matter which. Cheap cables are fine.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Did a quick setup test with an old cable i found in my closet. This sounds fuckin nice. My friends have mostly use sound bars with subs that come packaged in and the bass is all over the place and usually way overpowering but this is just smooth as gently caress. goddamn. Even when I crank up the gain and the bass levels on my receiver it's not overpowering, it just feels more full. I still need to go in and set up fully which I'll do once my longer rca cable comes in so i can stick it behind the tv where it will live until we decide to rearrange everything. I'm also not sure what settings will be best for movies and stuff though, like should I have things set to stereo or surround for a 2.1 setup if i want to hear stuff on the sub channel?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

You just need your front speakers set to “small” and subwoofer set to “on” or “1” both of which are probably already the way it’s set.

The sub will always get the .1 channel during movies but if you set the speakers to Large then that’s all it will get. Setting them to Small means anything going to the L or R channel below your crossover (which you can play around with, id probably start with 100 Hz) will instead get sent to the subwoofer for both movies and music.

With most receivers you don’t really “set it to 2.1” you just make sure it doesn’t think you have a center or surrounds, those should be set to “none” or whatever equivalent.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 16, 2020

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm planning some new furniture for my hometheater space and was thinking of putting my front firing subwoofer into the cabinet, similar to this:

Is doing that fine acoustically, provided there's a bit of breathing room around the amp or does it need to be completely free standing?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
The sub will make things rattle and buzz in a cabinet. I can't recommend it

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Definitely agree with last dude. Imo sub is best hidden behind a couch in a corner which gives the bass more stuff to resonate off of.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking for a soundbar that has an HDMI passthrough feature and supports 4K, and preferably does not require a separate subwoofer because I'm low on space and live in an apartment.

I have a 3.1 soundbar from 2012 that has built in subs, three HDMI inputs and one HDMI output/ARC, and it's still decent but it doesn't support 4K signals. I prefer the soundbar to act as a receiver, but most of them on the market are designed to be hooked up to the TV's audio output only, with only an optical or HDMI ARC input. I don't like this because TV's almost always add audio lag whenever they take in and send out a digital signal, even if you use PCM uncompressed and bypass options. Do any higher-end TV's not add any audio lag?

The lag added might not be noticeable in movies but definitely is with video games.

Anyway, a soundbar like this is surprisingly hard to find.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How dumb would it be to get something like these for a dedicated theater room?

https://www.ebay.com/i/302758112694

Alternatively, if you could go crazy with a dedicated room, what speakers would you put in it?

Probably also use it to listen to music and play video games.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

KillHour posted:

How dumb would it be to get something like these for a dedicated theater room?

https://www.ebay.com/i/302758112694

Alternatively, if you could go crazy with a dedicated room, what speakers would you put in it?

Probably also use it to listen to music and play video games.

Personally, I don't like horns, so not those.
How crazy are we talking here? because a whole room full of Focal Utopias sounds pretty good to me.

e: also how big is the room and how far are you from the speakers?
...and how much do you hate your neighbors?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

What's wrong with horns? I was specifically looking for horns.

Room is like... 15 x 25 (guestimating) with the distance between the couch and the speakers being in the longer direction.

And we're talking "I wonder if a pair of SVS PB-16 Ultras needs more than a 15 amp circuit" crazy.

Also, I want an excuse to buy this: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=37887

Edit: Those Utopias are like new car money. Each. gently caress that.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
You do need PB-16 Ultras. A pair of them. (not really, but why the gently caress not rite?)
There's nothing 'wrong' with horns, I just don't like how they sound. They're okay for movies I guess? But I'm primarily a stereo music guy.
Horns are generally very efficient and very IN YOUR FACE. I'd be happy to just scoot closer and use a pair of ATC studio monitors.

You should definitely dedicate multiple 20A circuits to your theater room. I ponied up the dough to install a separate circuit panel for just that reason when I built the house. I mean they cocked it up and split all the LED lights between the two panels AND they share a ground but whatever, that can be fixed without having to re-appropriate the panels anyway. I really just need the extra power above all else.