Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

My little grocery store not only has beef, some of it is marked down because it didn't move. 2 of the nicest god drat rib-eyes I've seen in a long time and 2lbs of store ground extra lean ground beef for $25? Don't mind if I do :tipshat:

Ironically, I'm almost certainly eating better quality food now than I was 2 months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

May 13 Quarantine Productivity Update:

Replaced the hood release cable on the W210. Not too terrible a job, aided by the fact that it’s a poo poo heap and I don’t care if I break anything. The old grommet in the firewall was torn and the new one tore going in but gently caress it. If it leaks or something I’ll shoot some silicone in there.

The check valves came so here’s my tandem compressor rig:

Hoses from each compressor go through check valves and into a T-fitting into the filter/reg then out to the blast cabinet or whatever tool needs 10cfm. Am I missing something obvious? This is just a test fit, I’m going to put it all together with thread sealant.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Big Taint posted:

May 13 Quarantine Productivity Update:

Replaced the hood release cable on the W210. Not too terrible a job, aided by the fact that it’s a poo poo heap and I don’t care if I break anything. The old grommet in the firewall was torn and the new one tore going in but gently caress it. If it leaks or something I’ll shoot some silicone in there.

The check valves came so here’s my tandem compressor rig:

Hoses from each compressor go through check valves and into a T-fitting into the filter/reg then out to the blast cabinet or whatever tool needs 10cfm. Am I missing something obvious? This is just a test fit, I’m going to put it all together with thread sealant.

poo poo I thought that was the hood release for a second and I was gonna ask if you were launching poo poo into orbit with it?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Jesus Christ today has it in for my family.

My aunt passed away in her sleep yesterday night, not unexpected as she was in hospice, but the funeral's going to be a complicated mess. Then this morning I find out the hip pain my mom was dealing with all weekend was actually a broken hip when we finally got her doctor to see her again, so now she's hospitalized pending a full replacement on Friday.

Oh, and the Vic's started to slip in 3rd between 40 and 50 mph.

Just gently caress 2020.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

poo poo I thought that was the hood release for a second and I was gonna ask if you were launching poo poo into orbit with it?

Pneumatic hood release wouldn't be too out of place in a Benz...

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

I have half dozen battery tender juniors on various cars and batteries, haven't had any failures and no batteries have died while on them. Other brands I know people have good experience with are Schumacher and CTEK.

Tomarse posted:

The CTEK trickle chargers are excellent and have a warranty that works. I have 4 and had one replaced recently that stopped working. It took one online form and then a replacement arrived within a week along with instruction for me to scrap the broken one myself.

I'm using the XS 0.8 (which is the cheapest one at about £35) on all my vehicles. I either have them mounted in the vehicles or have the included 12V quick connector permanently wired to the battery and dangling hidden around the front bumper/grille somewhere.

Thanks for the recs (sorry for the late replying).

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Big Taint posted:

Pneumatic hood release wouldn't be too out of place in a Benz...

Coming up in Episode 35 of Project Binky......

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Krakkles posted:

Not at all - if I'm remembering right, it's just attaching two wires that go to the panel. I think I over complicated it because I attached a connector to the panel so that I could unplug it, but you don't need to do that. The controller does want the battery connected before the panel, but you can accomplish this by just covering the panel when not in use (i.e., stick it in a bag).

You could definitely crimp it instead. I'd even consider wire nuts at this point, since it's presumably sitting in a driveway and not being driven.

I know we're local, I'd offer to help you if ... ya know. We weren't in the middle of a quarantine. I'll help you solder it together after this if you want to wire nut it for now :v:

Appreciate the offer, but that sounds like I can handle it... I've twisted together my share of car stereos in the olden days, and done a few monitor semi-repairs by replacing capacitors so if it's just connecting some wires via solder than I can definitely handle that.

Thanks for the product recommendation, this is something I knew I needed but didn't know existed!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Coredump posted:

That Supra is giving me the urge to look for 70’s/80’s rwd hatchbacks with the idea of making some retro future hot hatches. Modern suspension and turbo 4 in some of the surprisingly lightweight deadly cars of the time.

That thing is bitchin'

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

AMC had some drat fine body shapes.

Even their wagons are bitchin'.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
And AWD which is rad as hell.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

Jesus Christ today has it in for my family.

My aunt passed away in her sleep yesterday night, not unexpected as she was in hospice, but the funeral's going to be a complicated mess. Then this morning I find out the hip pain my mom was dealing with all weekend was actually a broken hip when we finally got her doctor to see her again, so now she's hospitalized pending a full replacement on Friday.

Oh, and the Vic's started to slip in 3rd between 40 and 50 mph.

Just gently caress 2020.

loving hell, that's rough all around.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Only positive part is now that she's in the hospital they can give her the good drugs, so she's getting some real sleep for the first time in days.

Parents getting old is hell, even without the 'rona to worry about.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
is this http://www.frozenboost.com/ place decent to order intercooler and piping from ? Their mandrel bent stuff seems too cheap. Like $10 for 2.25" 90* bends.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
First day down to Level 2 lockdown here, which means most business back to normal, work from home if possible, hairdressers open, restaurants open with with distance requirements, bars still closed till next week, schools back on Monday. Went for a drive as I’m still unemployed and traffic was mad. But..hooray, freedom.

But found out yesterday that a bartender friend killed himself. Family all overseas so not clear on any service yet, plus hospo still closed so that sucks.

On the upside my niece got approved for the public system to fund Humira for her, so that’s good.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Watching Skid Factory?

don't even know man, just woke up one day and was like NEED 1980s GEOMETRIC CAR

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Traffic was heavy as hell when I left work a little while ago.. and I left an hour early (super small truck.. most of us were gone by 4:30, I stuck around doing go-backs until 5:30 since I'm already only scheduled 36 this week). Surprised the hell out of me.

Ex has been looking at apartments. She's found a couple of nice ones, but apparently has no clue what parts of town are bad. She knows parts of East Austin are to be avoided at all cost, but thought North Austin was generally safe. She's lived in Austin for 15 years, you'd think she'd know what areas to avoid. :downs:

She sent me a link asking what I thought about one she found.. Austinites all know that Rundberg in general, and much of N Lamar, are to be avoided unless you have no other choice. This one sat at the intersection of both. My answer was "how often do you want to get mugged?". She's found a couple of others that look decent, and I've delivered to all of them when I still did delivery full time... the neighborhoods around them are questionable at best in every case, but some of the actual properties are actually nice and well-kept.

She did find one really nice place with a suspiciously low price. Looked it up, and it's 30 minutes out of town (little town called Lago Vista). Also, it's low income with sliding scale rent (her income is low enough that she'd get discounted rent, but not quite the lowest advertised price). If they don't have a waitlist and she doesn't mind the half hour drive every day, it sounds like a winner. Just opened, energy efficient as hell (all LED, 17 SEER AC, etc) and it's in BFE. Generally low income places tend to be near bus lines and major roads, this is neither. You HAVE to have a car if you're gonna live in that general area. If Brokeback was more reliable, I'd be considering it myself. It's absolutely beautiful out there. I suspect it was built as "low income" so the owners could get a big tax credit for the first 5-10 years, it's not your typical low income property.

BuckyDoneGun, sorry to hear about your friend. :glomp:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
2020 continuing to suck seems to be a theme. My mom started back on chemo yesterday, and I couldn't drive her and sit while they pumped poison into her veins again. I've been pretty much isolated since March 11th, so we decided last week that we could be in closer proximity to each other. She hugged me for like 5 minutes straight. They irradiated the tumor in her brain a couple weeks ago, now they're trying to kill tumors in her liver and adrenal gland. poo poo sucks.

My wife's mother is being forced back to work next week in a retail establishment in an outdoor shopping center. No protections are in place, the company has no plans to install any, and they've fired everyone except the manager and assistant manager, so they're on 7 days a week, 8 hours each day (overlap in the middle). She's a big Trump fan, and is blaming the company and New Yorkers entirely. :smh:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

That sucks, Sharky. I hope your mom comes through OK.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Hm, I might have to get one of these for my stupid Miata that hasn't moved in a month. How complicated was the soldering? I once modded an original Xbox console that involved a mod chip roughly the size of a pencil eraser & 8 micro-solders and am relatively dexterous/capable of putting poo poo together, but I'm not a very regular solder-er and have a pretty mediocre iron...

Performance tool makes one all ready to go: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=9476912&jsn=314

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

jonathan posted:

is this http://www.frozenboost.com/ place decent to order intercooler and piping from ? Their mandrel bent stuff seems too cheap. Like $10 for 2.25" 90* bends.

It looks like they are affiliated with https://www.siliconeintakes.com/. Both myself and a friend have ordered from them with zero issues, their stuff was good. I used their 3" 90 and a straight section to weld up an intake for the 323. Thick, well formed, no complaints.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What a lovely day.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

So, that one doesn't have a charge controller, and is actually very similar to the (panel only) that I linked, although lower power (2.5W vs 6W).

I'm not sure how much it really mattered, but I do recall googling it at the time, and the consensus seemed to be "don't hook a solar panel up to your car without a charge controller".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

So, that one doesn't have a charge controller, and is actually very similar to the (panel only) that I linked, although lower power (2.5W vs 6W).

I'm not sure how much it really mattered, but I do recall googling it at the time, and the consensus seemed to be "don't hook a solar panel up to your car without a charge controller".

I think for anything larger you would need a controller, but the most that thing can put out is two tenths of an amp in ideal conditions.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That sucks, Sharky. I hope your mom comes through OK.

Thanks. She's super-positive about her life, although she's been thrown a ton of speedbumps. She was an awesome mom, and I'm doing my best to return the love. She's been through this before and she's used to the side effects, but it still sucks to be on the outside with minimal capacity to make anything better.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think for anything larger you would need a controller, but the most that thing can put out is two tenths of an amp in ideal conditions.
Yeah, that's probably true.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Krakkles posted:

Yeah, that's probably true.

Reasonably close to true.

2.5/12 = 0.20833333333...

208mA isn't gonna mean poo poo to a car battery.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Amazing how many times the Camardo front end has been restyled and they still haven’t given it windows

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

GM polled existing Camaro owners and none of them think it needs bigger windows, next gen doesn't get bigger windows. Repeat forever.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Had a "totally not a meeting about drama" meeting today with the department manager and director. Apparently my ex is still bitching about me breathing the same air she is (different sub-department, some shared workspace).

Since the meeting was recommended by HR; I went full nuclear; talked to my attorney, came in with a list of questions and a legal pad, wrote up minutes, had them both sign it affirming accuracy. My boss, the department manager, was only a little surprised (he's fully aware my family is infested with lawyers and that I'm mildly infected by osmosis) but I absolutely floored the Director. I'm pretty sure I rang every "Do Not gently caress With" bell in his head, and he complimented me for taking this seriously. My boss is backing me up every step but we gotta go through the motions. Pretty sure the Director is with me as well but I've made it clear to both of them I am at DEFCON 2 on this.

You are NOT going to jeopardize my job you childish little poo poo.

Completely unrelated, I think I'm going to pick up the pace of my degree and add another class next semester.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 14, 2020

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Fermented Tinal posted:

Reasonably close to true.

2.5/12 = 0.20833333333...

208mA isn't gonna mean poo poo to a car battery.

I had a lovely little solar panel on my boat, and it kept the battery alive over the winter for 5 years.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

wallaka posted:

I had a lovely little solar panel on my boat, and it kept the battery alive over the winter for 5 years.

I mean along the lines of overcharging, it's absolutely adequate for trickle-charging/maintaining.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

LloydDobler posted:

I'm also driving 30 miles a day because even though I'm allowed to work from home I can't build a machine there.

I touched the poo on Facebook over this concept, people are so loving ignorant. Just because something sounds like it makes sense doesn't make it fact, yet this poo poo spreads like crazy. What makes me super angry is how arrogant the people spreading it get, when they're 100% wrong. I'm only going to get in to it here because people here actually listen.

I worked for 6 years designing medical lab equipment which had filters for pathogens. Yes pathogens are small. This also means they have almost no inertia and are subject to microscopic forces, electrostatic and things like that. They almost never travel alone and when they do they don't travel far. You would be surprised at how effective even a lovely wide open filter is at trapping pathogens. Pathogens are attached to dust, droplets, skin flakes, hair, etc. You know, things that are super easy for even a loose filter to pick up. So yeah, that's why a mask is effective. It's not stopping the virus. It's stopping the stuff that's carrying the virus. We used filter material designed for laying down under landscaping to stop the growth of weeds, and it was over 99% effective at barring loving tuberculosis from getting through it.

So to debunk the meme, think of it like this: Putting up a chainlink fence to stop mosquitoes will work because in this case all the mosquitoes can't fly and jump on to the baseballs and basketballs that are rolling across the field. The fence stops those just loving fine.

You got a link or something I can read about the landscaping cloth and tuberculosis? I think I want to touch the poo on Facebook too.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

The thing with the bigger wattage panels is the voltage more than the amps they can theoretically deliver- my 200W panel o use on the 4wd will push 20v but only be putting out 3-4A at that voltage, hence the MPPT controller between it and $800 worth of batteries.

Good solid sunny day it will crank out 9A at 14.3V tho!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Found out mom's possibly been exposed by a coworker. Her coworker went to the ER from work today.. admitted and assumed to be positive, but they're waiting on test results. She'd still been coming to work with a fever, but didn't tell anybody until the cough came out to party, along with sudden severe weakness. :fuckoff: She took the expensive bus to the ER.

Mom is 72. Her coworker is 75. Both have a laundry list of conditions that basically means a positive COVID test is.... bad.

I just bought my first pack of cigarettes in over a decade, took away my car ashtray's virginity (oh god I just took $20 off of the value of a car worth $500), and I'm probably gonna be halfway through the pack before I go to bed. Apparently you can't buy cloves at the corner store these days either. :downs: Had to settle for Camels. They didn't even have Kamel Reds, which is what I used to smoke when I couldn't get cloves.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 15, 2020

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

STR posted:

Found out mom's possibly been exposed by a coworker. Her coworker went to the ER from work today.. admitted and assumed to be positive, but they're waiting on test results. She'd still been coming to work with a fever, but didn't tell anybody until the cough came out to party, along with sudden severe weakness. :fuckoff: She took the expensive bus to the ER.

Mom is 72. Her coworker is 75. Both have a laundry list of conditions that basically means a positive COVID test is.... bad.

I just bought my first pack of cigarettes in over a decade, took away my car ashtray's virginity (oh god I just took $20 off of the value of a car worth $500), and I'm probably gonna be halfway through the pack before I go to bed. Apparently you can't buy cloves at the corner store these days either. :downs: Had to settle for Camels. They didn't even have Kamel Reds, which is what I used to smoke when I couldn't get cloves.

drat man that REALLY sucks. Hang in there. 2020 is being a real ball buster. I remember how Japan had the "lost decade" I think 2020 will be the "lost year" for everyone. :(

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
loving hell guys :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus Christ what's wrong with people?

So sorry about your mom STR I hope she pulls through it ok man.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Charitably, they're poor and they need the money because the US is a hosed up place with limited social safety net and employer obligations.

Uncharitably, they're loving stupid.

It's probably a combination of the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Charitably, they're poor and they need the money because the US is a hosed up place with limited social safety net and employer obligations.

Uncharitably, they're loving stupid.

It's probably a combination of the two.

They're linked. It's been demonstrated time and again that being under financial stress makes you bad at decision making, and removing that financial stress literally makes you smarter.

In less drastic news, god drat this java codebase. I'm working with another team's code and I feel like I have to trick IntelliJ into not crapping out all the time. What's worse is they're in france, so if I have questions I'd better ask them before noon (although one of their VPs did get back to me at 11pm his time once).

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 15, 2020