Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Loving some low traffic Ronadrives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Not quite sure where to post this, but it has 4 wheels?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Yes! Posting cool adventure pics would be even more cool.

This is what I have done:

I put on a rack. I went in the desert.

and launched rockets.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
I miss driving things.

The Subaru is still sitting on winter wheels currently and deteriorating into an even bigger pile of rust, and the Supra has been down for a couple months with some kind of electrical issue that I'm not smart enough to diagnose. I'm starting to get over my recent :effort: phase so maybe I'll actually do, uh, anything with one of them soon-ish.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Dusted off the Scirocco today and took it around the block. Gonna get back on the turbo install. First I have to get the proper hardware for the bumpers. I put them back in with the original NA bumper hardware and the thread pitch was wrong but I was young and in a hurry at the time so theyve been barely hanging on this whole time

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Stripped out the weak-sauce dashcam/backup camera system that was slap-dash installed (suction cups were involved) and also de-installed the ECS talkbox toll system. The camera isn't worth dick but the talk box should fetch around $100 bucks. Also took out the TV antenna and GPS antenna on the headunit because it isn't in Japan anymore and kept desperately trying to figure out where it was in Chiba, being that was shipped out from there. Also installed a line bypass so now we have an AUX in to the stereo. The tires are way too loud even just at 40mph, they've got to go. Don't like the wheels much either, going to pop the spare off our Prado and see if it clears the brakes on this. If so I know where I can by a set of 5 and then make right with the wheels. It's missing the little 'DIESEL' badge on the front grill which is why there are the two small holes in the first slat from the bottom. I don't like how they just painted right over the 'TOYOTA' in the grill and over the Land Cruiser badges on the side, the words themselves desperately need to be white. Finally, it has some sort of short in the instrument panel. All the lights function normally but some are half-on but you can make this go away by holding the 'T-BELT' button down. You aren't meant to do this though which is why you have to lift the rubber grommet and stick a pin way down to press it. With the headlights on the illumination flickers in the upper left of both the fuel gauge and the speedometer, I think they might have just swapped out the original bulbs for LED bulbs because the light is quite a cool white. I don't know if those lights are 24v like the rest of the electrical but I can imagine just tossing in LEDs might mess up all sorts of resistances the thing might expect. Not too worried about it though since the entire truck is mechanical, so it doesn't need nor can't even work out that anything is wrong with the panel.

Here it is next to our other Land Cruiser:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah I put LED dome lights in my old Mercedes and it made them glow even while off. Putting one incandescent in fixed it. There's something a bit wrong with the circuitry anyway but even in my Mazda it glows very faintly while off and changes when you push the power locks, etc. Plus when the cheap ones fail they flicker and mess up.

Also if you leave the GPS on for 30 minutes it should figure it out. Not that it would be good for anything, I doubt it has US maps.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
I’m dumb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YepyWMdsts8

dumb as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPNkpuW18M8

Just got the driveshaft delivered a few days ago but I’m still out of state for work. Hopefully I’ll have it moving under it’s own power real soon.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Apocalyptic times require apocalyptic solutions

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 16, 2022

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

well you can still do the socially distanced touristfahren

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Bape Culture posted:

:getin: Love how this car is coming along

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

crutt posted:

I’m dumb

dumb as hell

Just got the driveshaft delivered a few days ago but I’m still out of state for work. Hopefully I’ll have it moving under it’s own power real soon.

Hell yea

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Two insane bmws on the same page, love it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

crutt posted:

I’m dumb

dumb as hell

Mmmmm, that chop. What cam is in that?

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Mmmmm, that chop. What cam is in that?

Untuned trickflow TFS-30602003, 228/230, 112 lsa, .585/.585 lift. Pac1218 springs

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

crutt posted:

Untuned trickflow TFS-30602003, 228/230, 112 lsa, .585/.585 lift. Pac1218 springs

Someone back me up and tell this guy that 225s aren’t going to be sufficient to prevent a predilection for Mustang-like pedestrian homing behavior post-swap

In other news I’m already loving things up on my brand new truck:

Heckin’ Tronker got a Raptor steering wheel because the Lariat wheel’s ‘leather’ had all the lushness and quality of a 1970s school bus vinyl seat. Ford’s cost-cutting is, uh, evident.

Also working with Brew City Boost on a HPTuners MPVI v2 tune for it on the 7.3/10spd because Ford factory tunes leave much to be desired. Btw it pulled 12,000 lbs without issue even before the tune.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Tremek posted:

Someone back me up and tell this guy that 225s aren’t going to be sufficient to prevent a predilection for Mustang-like pedestrian homing behavior post-swap

Heckin’ Tronker got a Raptor steering wheel because the Lariat wheel’s ‘leather’ had all the lushness and quality of a 1970s school bus vinyl seat. Ford’s cost-cutting is, uh, evident.

Also working with Brew City Boost on a HPTuners MPVI v2 tune for it on the 7.3/10spd because Ford factory tunes leave much to be desired. Btw it pulled 12,000 lbs without issue even before the tune.

Nice truck!

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Tremek posted:

The new 7.3 is pretty cool, and also seems like it was developed with a wink and a nod to hot-rodders and the aftermarket, as Ford's swan song gas V8

BTW how is that monster truck as a daily driver? My impression of HD trucks was that the big upgrade in towing and payload numbers came with a similarly big downgrade in unladen ride quality, and parking also sucks if you don't live in the Big Empty

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Tremek posted:

[timg] https://i.imgur.com/Fj4LKoM.jpg[/timg]

[timg] https://i.imgur.com/OhOOlGX.jpg[/timg]

I have a Brew City Boost custom tune on my Ecoboost and love it. They seem like great guys, and I didn’t feel like learning the Ford ECU just yet.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Godzilla07 posted:

BTW how is that monster truck as a daily driver? My impression of HD trucks was that the big upgrade in towing and payload numbers came with a similarly big downgrade in unladen ride quality, and parking also sucks if you don't live in the Big Empty

That's our white trash party bus. Daily driver and used to trailer stuff from surplus auctions or estate sales and general country powered equipment moving.

I spent a few days with my dad's 2018 F150 last month and I really don't think the ride quality is all that different. The 350 is definitely louder and not a fan of bumpy roads but it doesn't beat me to death the way some people say. If anything else it makes you pay more attention and plan ahead to accommodate the wheelbase and hilarious stopping distance. Ford definitely makes a nice interior - mine is a Lariat with the fancy radio and I'll take long back roads home from work more days than not just to listen to something nice on Amazon Music.

Another nice feature in the covid era is that my truck is completely allergic to a drive through. Nice way to stay skinny.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Apparently someone is trying to buy a Maserati off of Vroom using my identity. No pictures to share though

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

mischief posted:

Another nice feature in the covid era is that my truck is completely allergic to a drive through. Nice way to stay skinny.

Lol if my wife can manuever our long bed dually through one of those double drive throughs you can definitely fit that svelte truck in :p

Re : HD truck ride quality - manufacturers have made great strides in the past 10 years to improve truck ride and handling. A HD truck will be less road compliant but the difference now is far less stark.

I installed sulastic shackles on our 2001 GMC which helped a lot, but my FILs 2017 F350 is still markedly better on everything but the harshest bumps and potholes.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Godzilla07 posted:

The new 7.3 is pretty cool, and also seems like it was developed with a wink and a nod to hot-rodders and the aftermarket, as Ford's swan song gas V8

I had both trucks in the driveway for a night when I first got it so I took some pics... re: daily driver, it’s ok, not great. It’s maybe a few inches taller than my Raptor was, probably a few inches narrower, but a foot and a half longer. The whole truck is obviously heavier and unladen definitely is a lot more flinty than the Raptor was but then again I wasn’t running 65 psi front / 70 psi rear in the Raptor’s KO2s like I am on these 275/75/18 factory Duratracs.

Also worth a callout that the Raptor was IFS and very softly sprung and dampened versus this thing, hence the lol 1100 lbs payload capacity.

I have mostly accepted that buying a dual solid axle 350 (although with the Tremor the general consensus is the suspension is identical on a 250 vs a 350, and that the GVWR tag is the main difference) was going to result in a shittier ride and it is indeed shittier. With that said it’s pretty civilized for 3.5 tons of solid axle truck on 35” E ply all terrains.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 19, 2020

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

One for haulin, and another for haulin rear end.

Are you keeping the Raptor? The new 5th wheel looks awesome

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Nah traded the Raptor and the Land Cruiser for tax advantage on the F350 (giving them both negated like $6k in taxes) so it’s F350, GLS 63, and S65 now which is an embarrassment of dumb cars. The F350’s dragging down the fleet HP avg at 430

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

It's kind of weird to me that "HD" trucks are an entirely different model now.
When I was young, as was the world, the 20/30, or 250/350, heavy-duty models were the same cab and bed, just a heavier chassis. Guess they got tired of shoe-horning the giant diesels into the regular cab. It all changed somewhere in, what, the 2000s? I guess I wasn't even still young, then.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

It's kind of weird to me that "HD" trucks are an entirely different model now.
When I was young, as was the world, the 20/30, or 250/350, heavy-duty models were the same cab and bed, just a heavier chassis. Guess they got tired of shoe-horning the giant diesels into the regular cab. It all changed somewhere in, what, the 2000s? I guess I wasn't even still young, then.

Ford finally consolidated passenger cabins at least. The front end and beds are different but firewall to back glass is shared between regular and super duty.

What I didn't notice for a while was GMC and Chevy pickups actually have different fenders and bed sides going back a few years. Seems like such a waste of resources for different tooling but the margins must be so fat that who cares.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

StormDrain posted:

What I didn't notice for a while was GMC and Chevy pickups actually have different fenders and bed sides going back a few years. Seems like such a waste of resources for different tooling but the margins must be so fat that who cares.

I keep saying I never understand why GM still sells both GMC and Chevy.

And yet I own two GMC trucks.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Need a grill shell for ppl with class, of course.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Well you've got Chevy, and you've got Good Made Chevy

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've always imagined that GMC sells to a lot of people who might associate Chevy with a hillbilly image they don't like. Especially the Denali line. Doesn't hurt that Chevy keeps making the Silverado as hideous as loving possible every time they touch it. GMCs styling tends to be a bit more milquetoast these days, milquetoast in a good way in this case.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

IOwnCalculus posted:

Because GMC owners will pay a few percentage points more for the same truck. It was hard for the CEO at the time to get rid of GMC during bankruptcy with that data on the table. Free profit.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Q_res posted:

I've always imagined that GMC sells to a lot of people who might associate Chevy with a hillbilly image they don't like. Especially the Denali line. Doesn't hurt that Chevy keeps making the Silverado as hideous as loving possible every time they touch it. GMCs styling tends to be a bit more milquetoast these days, milquetoast in a good way in this case.

Yeah. The current GMC looks worlds better than the equivalent Silverado.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Suburban Dad posted:

Because GMC owners will pay a few percentage points more for the same truck. It was hard for the CEO at the time to get rid of GMC during bankruptcy with that data on the table. Free profit.

That's it exactly. The GMC buyer is happy to tick more boxes on the option sheet and pay for it.

And somehow I drive one with a cloth bench seat.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

IOwnCalculus posted:

GMC exists so that Buick dealers have trucks to sell.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

heated game moment posted:

Yeah. The current GMC looks worlds better than the equivalent Silverado.

Agreed, but at the same time I feel like the Colorado looks way better than the Canyon:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Rock My Socks! posted:

Agreed, but at the same time I feel like the Colorado looks way better than the Canyon:

It does but I don't like how either of them look. I think it's the upward curve in the rear windows

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

heated game moment posted:

It does but I don't like how either of them look. I think it's the upward curve in the rear windows

I like the Canyon probably because it's scaled down from the Sierra that I drive and like.

I believe every truck has the swoop up on the back doors now. I noticed the detail once and didn't like it until I realized it was so prevalent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

StormDrain posted:

I like the Canyon probably because it's scaled down from the Sierra that I drive and like.

I believe every truck has the swoop up on the back doors now. I noticed the detail once and didn't like it until I realized it was so prevalent.

I hate the swoop. I loving hate it. I don't know how it makes such a big difference, but it does. 2 seconds with Photoshop will show how much of a difference a flat bottom makes. I don't know how it got so popular but it's everywhere.