Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah a throw pillow would be used for napping. Unless...

I kinda want to get it. It would be SOO comfortable.

Is it something you'd seriously consider? Because you don't seem especially passionate about the modernist couches you've been looking at, so are you really looking at what you want or just what you like that falls within the parameters of what's popular and stylish now?

If you're mostly using the space as a theater then prioritizing comfort is pretty sensible. Maybe you should get the dad couch, and then get an MCM media consul for the modernist element.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Anyone have any stuff from BDI? Worth the price?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

snoo posted:

I bought my sofa from walmart
I bought my sofas from hancock and moore.

And Ikea.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

Would look great with a nice pair of "comfort fit" stonewash Wranglers and some Nike Monarchs
Slim fit joggers and Ultraboosts good sir.

there wolf posted:

Is it something you'd seriously consider? Because you don't seem especially passionate about the modernist couches you've been looking at, so are you really looking at what you want or just what you like that falls within the parameters of what's popular and stylish now?

If you're mostly using the space as a theater then prioritizing comfort is pretty sensible. Maybe you should get the dad couch, and then get an MCM media consul for the modernist element.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to go with a modernist couch, but everything I've found has at least 1 big flaw. For example, this couch in either this light grey or white leather with round matte stainless steel feet would be perfect (the actual couch has bad reviews on Reddit):

This one I posted this morning, I'm meh on the color and I won't know if Inside Weather even makes a color I like until I get swatches, but everything else is good including the $1048 price. One potential hiccup is they use an "arciform slat suspension", not springs, but if that means it's firmer and sags less over time then I'd actually prefer it. My memory foam mattress is on a slatted bed and I like it.

The dad couch is $1650 and would definitely prevent the butt chaffing I experienced during last night's extended media consumption/nap session, but it's more of a safety net in case I can't find a modernist that has decent reviews and all my design elements.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 12, 2020

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

What is your budget? What width do you want? Do you prefer a sectional, recliner or sofa?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

actionjackson posted:

What is your budget? What width do you want? Do you prefer a sectional, recliner or sofa?
$1000 would be great, $1500 is fine, $2000 is a stretch but doable if everything about the couch is just right.

85-90" is the sweet spot. I can't go under 78" because I'm 6'1, and I could reasonably go up to 100".

Ideal would be sofa + ottoman so I can lounge facing forward but move it out of the way to look pretty. Sectional is fine but I’d still want an ottoman so I don’t have to lounge off-center, in which case it’s just needlessly more expensive plus the coffee table would be off-center. A recliner is okay but only if the middle seat reclines for lounging. Whenever I’m watching TV, I immediately put my feet up which right now means the coffee table.

2 cushions are a no go due to off-center listening/watching, as are T cushions since I can't rotate the middle cushion.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 13, 2020

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Prairie-style home in the Sarah Smith school district.

This rare Prairie Style home, built around 1910, is on the National Historic Registry.

Modern Prairie house plan is NC green built with geothermal, Thermador appliances, custom cabinetry, maple wood floors, see-through fireplace, skyloft with Murphy bed, Hunter Douglas blinds, whole house filtration system and humidifier, in-ceiling audio system Bowers & Wilkins 8" speakers/ Yamaha Receivers, fire protection sprinkler system, putting green, pre-wired for generator, security and surveillance system, landscape lighting, lawn irrigation system, Leviton Smart Lighting (3 exterior, 2 interior).

Spectacular Modern Prairie style home built by David Crabtree w/ meticulous attention to detail throughout.

This custom built modern treasure is an interpretation of Frank Lloyd Wright's prairie style. looks like a pizza hut to me

Keeping to the Prairie Design, the over-sized stacked stone fireplace is a show stopper.

This light-filled, prairie style, mid-century modern home nestled in Country Club Estates is waiting for you.

Resting On An Exceptional 1.87 Wooded Lot, This Prairie-Style Architectural Masterpiece Has So Much To Offer.

Prominent architect Sol Fleischman created a private estate home with Frank Lloyd Wright-inspired Prairie home details blending the home with nature, aesthetic horizontal lines, and adding Art Deco attributes, making this a sophisticated timeless residence.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "artistry"
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/17-River-Ln-Westport-CT-06880/177217166_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/18-Vista-Hermosa-Santa-Fe-NM-87506/6855999_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/72-Camino-Cielo-Alto-Santa-Fe-NM-87505/2079751493_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1226-Cricket-Rd-Dadeville-AL-36853/104555393_zpid/ stretching the definition of artistry a bit

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/760-Walnut-Ave-N-Ketchum-ID-83340/112910104_zpid/ I refuse to believe this was built in the year 2000 and not 1978.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6685-Gulf-Of-Mexico-Dr-Longboat-Key-FL-34228/45794569_zpid/ This kitchen hurts my eyes and the HDR isn't helping

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/11-Jay-Ct-Monsey-NY-10952/84112803_zpid/ not sure if I've posted this house before but it is ridiculous

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/16216-State-Highway-86-Spirit-Lake-IA-51360/2079689808_zpid/ It's a corporate headquarters, a private restaurant, an art studio and a lake house all in one

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Josh Lyman posted:

$1000 would be great, $1500 is fine, $2000 is a stretch but doable if everything about the couch is just right.

85-90" is the sweet spot. I can't go under 78" because I'm 6'1, and I could reasonably go up to 100".

Ideal would be sofa + ottoman so I can lounge facing forward but move it out of the way to look pretty. Sectional is fine but I’d still want an ottoman so I don’t have to lounge off-center, in which case it’s just needlessly more expensive plus the coffee table would be off-center. A recliner is okay but only if the middle seat reclines for lounging. Whenever I’m watching TV, I immediately put my feet up which right now means the coffee table.

2 cushions are a no go due to off-center listening/watching, as are T cushions since I can't rotate the middle cushion.

Since this is for heavy use you may also want to consider stain resistance and how it'll look in 5 years. A monochrome white or pale grey fabric can look dingy pretty fast, especially if you like to sit on the couch while you drink coffee, red wine, or eat cheetos. Grandma couchs always had busy patterns because grandma knows her poo poo.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Youth Decay posted:

My Jeopardy answer? What is 'Houses from Horror Movies to be Murdered In.'

Youth Decay posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/16216-State-Highway-86-Spirit-Lake-IA-51360/2079689808_zpid/ It's a corporate headquarters, a private restaurant, an art studio and a lake house all in one

My brain won't let me comprehend what these little black things are, so I'm going to say they're are combination pottery wheel and bidet. The 'corporate headquarters' and 'art studio' is to blame for this.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

value-brand cereal posted:

My Jeopardy answer? What is 'Houses from Horror Movies to be Murdered In.'

My brain won't let me comprehend what these little black things are, so I'm going to say they're are combination pottery wheel and bidet. The 'corporate headquarters' and 'art studio' is to blame for this.

They're potter's wheels. That's a kiln in the background. What's so hard to get :confused:

e: what do you think potter's wheels and, more importantly, bidets look like?!?!?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I don't know where this is but I wanna live here and toot about in a boot

I think it needs more plants for that amount of grey concrete though.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

They're potter's wheels. That's a kiln in the background. What's so hard to get :confused:

:( I'm on my phone and I can't see the details very well :( My bad! I guess they can be bidets in the sense you can make chamber pots on them....

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

I love the Santa Fe homes above, cause I like the pueblo thing, but holy smokes do I love some gray concrete with water and greenery.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It's like an expanded Frank House. It's like level 3 of a 3-level video game where the Frank House is level 1.

mutata fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 13, 2020

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, where'd you find the boat house pictures? It's glorious and I want to know more.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

luxury handset posted:

Prairie-style home in the Sarah Smith school district.

I looked at all these photos and I'm not sure what Prairie-style means. Low-angle roof?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

nielsm posted:

I looked at all these photos and I'm not sure what Prairie-style means. Low-angle roof?

They're (Theoretically) based off of a Wright plan. Few interior walls, benches and shelves built into the exterior walls, local materials, too many windows.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

e: what do you think potter's wheels and, more importantly, bidets look like?!?!?

i can only imagine how disgusting that floor and window are gonna get though

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

nielsm posted:

Yup that's one defining feature. Big overhangs, stressing horizontal lines and features that fit in with big, flat prairie landscapes.

The Robie House in Chicago is often considered FLW's prairie masterpiece

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Is this actually as cool as it looks?

My money was on South East Asia, but it's in Dhaka, Bangladesh

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Wood block floors like that were used in a lot of industrial buildings because they were easy on the feet. I always thought they’d be cool in a home. The blocks are thick, though, otherwise they’d check, so you have to have a space really designed for it.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

nielsm posted:

prairie school style is a particular architectural movement which sprung up in chicago in the late 19th and early 20th century. the most famous name associated with this school is frank lloyd wright. most of the houses i posted are extremely not anything close to prairie style. look on listing sites around chicago for lots of examples of the form, or anywhere else for bad derivatives. from this style through "usonian", this stuff is a major precursor to the whole midcentury modern aesthetic

basically when you're looking for prairie influence you want big windows, integrating nature with the inside of the house (looking at it with big windows), caring about naturalistic landscaping, a huuuuuge focus on horizontal everything, and cleaner ornamentation (though not lack of ornamentation, FLW particularly put a lot of fiddly details in his designs). also big emphasis on open floor plans - prairie style is one of the transitional points where the concept of the ranch house begins to take root as an american housing form

for a century+ old style, a lot of these buildings look shockingly contemporary

e: of the ones i posted, houses #2, 6, and 8 are prairie-ish. #2 has some prairie elements but it's a pretty conservative take. #6 looks more like a watered down MCM version, like yeah there's whiffs of prairie there i guess. #8 is the most arguable but it also has those big curved lines that make it some kind of weird fusion style ike a prairie-cottage or something

the last home is laughable, there's nothing about it at all that is prairie, it's just a florida cocaine palace

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 13, 2020

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Prolly not in Florida, though, looking outside.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I wanna do wood block in a workshop some day. Better then slab concrete for my tender toesies, looks cool to boot.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I own a red leather modern take on a chesterfield with ottoman and it's the comfiest couch, but it's from a European brand and I got it from an interior design firm clearing things out on craigslist. Only complaint is it's not really wide enough for two people to snuggle, but it's a trade-off since it fits through a lot of doors. It probably retailed for 5k+ and I paid 1200

It's built so well and the leather is finally starting to need some refinishing after 10 years.

If you have any cats I recommend not leather. My old dog did a DEEP scratch in the seat cushion when zooming around, which forced me to keep a cover over it for a lot of its life. Now I have one dog who's pretty chill so it stays uncovered, but will never own a cat because furniture (and allergies). Any good furniture will also be much more worth it to reupholster down the road. Go look at expensive, well made stuff so you know what to look for when going down market.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

anyone familiar with Kardiel? It's mid-century modern stuff. A friend is asking about this one

https://www.kardiel.com/woodrow-box-71-fabric-sofa-walnut-urban-hemp/

Made in Vietnam (of course) but seems to be good quality materials.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "mezzanine"
some crazy Manhattan penthouses up in here
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/130-E-12th-St-7AB-New-York-NY-10003/31498276_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/132-Duane-St-APT-2-New-York-NY-10013/55500395_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/730-Stinson-Blvd-UNIT-106-Minneapolis-MN-55413/88839011_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/95-Greene-St-PHABE-New-York-NY-10012/2092522025_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1000-W-Washington-Blvd-UNIT-141-Chicago-IL-60607/54537602_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/60-Bethune-St-New-York-NY-10014/2082806102_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/80-Benthaven-W-Montgomery-TX-77356/2081186407_zpid/ another house that looks like a college library

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2862-Fairmount-Blvd-Cleveland-Heights-OH-44118/33660830_zpid/now this is my kind of mezzanine

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hogwarts style.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Is that a glass floor? I hate it.

(do "loggia" next)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

One thing I’ve noticed is that most media consoles lack large enough compartments for a receiver or video game console, most of them close up completely so you can’t use a remote, and almost none allow for ventilation through the rear. :psyduck:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah same it's weird. I just use this https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/lack-tv-unit-black-brown-20105341/

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 14, 2020

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I've occasionally been tempted to try to rig something out of some boards and threaded rod.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Josh Lyman posted:

One thing I’ve noticed is that most media consoles lack large enough compartments for a receiver or video game console, most of them close up completely so you can’t use a remote, and almost none allow for ventilation through the rear. :psyduck:

Nothing uses IR anymore so having line of sight doesn’t matter.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

Nothing uses IR anymore so having line of sight doesn’t matter.
Your FireTV stick and consoles may not, but your cable box, A/V receiver, and Blu-ray player definitely does.

Small compartments and lack of ventilation are a problem too.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Josh Lyman posted:

Your FireTV stick and consoles may not, but your cable box, A/V receiver, and Blu-ray player definitely does.

Small compartments and lack of ventilation are a problem too.

So what's your insufficient budget and weirdly precise requirements for this item of furniture?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I've occasionally been tempted to try to rig something out of some boards and threaded rod.

I've posted this before, but that's what I've done as a stopgap to one day having a nice media console or built in entertainment center or something.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

So what's your insufficient budget and weirdly precise requirements for this item of furniture?
While I love the look of many MCM consoles in the $500 range, my electronics are worth far more so airflow and shelf space take priority. At the very least, I'll need space for a receiver, Xbox, HTPC, and a center speaker. These look interesting:

This would pick up some of the grey from my couch but it looks a bit ugly in this photo:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 14, 2020

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I hate that I like this so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

I hate that I like this so much.

I like that I like it.