Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Damnit, I finally said screw it when I found a card that had some money on it, so I just bought it from GMG.
And after getting through the tutorial/beginning, Steam has put it on sale, would've much rather had it with steam achievements and poo poo.
Oh well. Fun, though I still like RDR1 way way more.
Trudging through the snow alone amazes me plus the looks of everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I recently discovered that it's possible to lasso animals and get a perfect pelt without using a single bullet or arrow. So what I've been doing is to lure livestock away from any witnesses and then it's lasso o'clock.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Alhazred posted:

I recently discovered that it's possible to lasso animals and get a perfect pelt without using a single bullet or arrow. So what I've been doing is to lure livestock away from any witnesses and then it's lasso o'clock.

I go to emerald ranch in the dead of night and just pick off the livestock there. It's cool to RP as a cattle rustler

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yeah, I spent a bit just going back and forth from Emerald Ranch to the trapper with horses loaded up with perfect furs I got by creeping in the night, in the dark and lasso stabbing the livestock.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

OgNar posted:

Damnit, I finally said screw it when I found a card that had some money on it, so I just bought it from GMG.
And after getting through the tutorial/beginning, Steam has put it on sale, would've much rather had it with steam achievements and poo poo.
Oh well. Fun, though I still like RDR1 way way more.
Trudging through the snow alone amazes me plus the looks of everything else.

Don't worry, it gets better. RDR is one of my favourite games and this is legit even better. I genuinely think it takes a bit of time to grow on you.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah when I initially started playing, I remember thinking that I liked RDR1 better at first too. Now I cannot remember why I would think that, 2 is kind of a masterpiece once you get your hands around the controls and figure out how all the pieces work (which admittedly takes a little while, there's just so much happening)

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It took me at least 10 hours of play getting into it. The buggy state at PC release really didn't help.
Now I'm 65 hours in and play every day. It's pretty great.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah, I spent a bit just going back and forth from Emerald Ranch to the trapper with horses loaded up with perfect furs I got by creeping in the night, in the dark and lasso stabbing the livestock.

I also just discovered that you can have literal caravans with pelts. I also found out that I had a horse that I'd accidentally bonded with lurking around. He just randomly showed up when I whistled for my main horse and now I've decided to max up his leves too. So far he's dumb as a brick and can't jump over the smallest obstacle. But we'll get there:unsmith:

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 13, 2020

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I loving hate deathmatch in this game. I always get killed in super ironic ways. Got someone lined up, oop out of bullets. Got another guy lined up, I do 5 damage, someone is next to me all of a sudden and kills me in one hit. I was looking for people for what seems like forever and all of a sudden they're around me. Got a HEADSHOT lined up, round's over sorry.

This poo poo is cursed.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Today I did a resupply mission and I had to hunt down an alligator for a trader to get supplies. So I do that and my camp had despawned by the time I came back with supplies so the mission just ended when I got there. No XP. Real sweet.

Is online just a loving broken shamble of experiences? When it works it is some of the most fun I've ever had but this feels like something out of Early Access with how much of a buggy mess it is.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yep. It's bad.

I have a lot of time in it but I am super sour about how crappy the Online game is. I mean it, if any of you are on the fence when you could save, what, 12 bucks on it right now? Wait until you can save 30-40 bucks. I just saw GTAV on sale for 13 bucks total. RDR2 will get significantly cheaper AND MAYBE have some of their broken poo poo fixed and more content by then.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Isn't it free on gamepass now?
This kinda felt like one of those games I should buy though.
Since i'll likely be spending a bit of time in it off and on.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I tried Online for about two hours when it first came out.

Thought to myself "Hmmm this is just a worse version of single player" and never touched it again.

It has probably improved since then but I doubt I'll be diving in again any time soon.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

doctor 7 posted:

Today I did a resupply mission and I had to hunt down an alligator for a trader to get supplies. So I do that and my camp had despawned by the time I came back with supplies so the mission just ended when I got there. No XP. Real sweet.

Is online just a loving broken shamble of experiences? When it works it is some of the most fun I've ever had but this feels like something out of Early Access with how much of a buggy mess it is.

It's better than it used to be, if you can believe it, but yeah. It's got some serious issues that it's kind of embarrassing haven't been ironed out by now.

I still maintain that it's worth $60, much less $45, purely as a single player game though. And if they ever get online to the point where it resembles a finished product, that'll be a nice bonus

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
sp is absolutely the main draw here but if you're still hungry for some goal driven cowboy rp after you've beaten the story then rdo ain't too bad at scratching that itch

when it works

it never works

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010
:rockstar: has done a pretty good job of making sure that the bugs are all working cross platform but judging from what I see here the pc online seems to be a little more broken than the console version.

I get the same bugs on the PS4 but it’s not as game breaking or as often as pc players seem to be experiencing

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
My buddy was describing his recent adventures in Red Dead Online. He would do a mission, go up to the NPC at the end, it would kinda zoom in like it wanted a cutscene to happen, then nothing would happen and he wouldn't get any money. This happened several times, one of those times being a moonshiner delivery. It was slightly sad listening to him try to justify this like some sort of abuse victim. "Well, maybe I shouldn't have alt-tabbed that one time... it was probably my fault..."

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

doctor 7 posted:

Yeah I had a horse full of stuff for Cripps, the camp was on the mini map but there was no camp. Ok, I'll move it, but it won't accept my button input to do it :downs:. Reload the game, oh we didn't save your stuff, sorry!

This is one of the few games I've ever played that seems like it hates the player's loving guts. Like it's just waiting to kick over your sandcastle.

I tried to play a moonshiner mission last night, I still haven't found out how to actually do a delivery even though I'm level 5 thanks to Twitch Prime. I start a mission, and it just stays on the loading screen forever. I just turned the game off at that point, if Rockstar doesn't care why should I? I play all kinds of random games, I rarely say out loud "gently caress this game" and just turn it off.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The hunting wagon is a good investment. It can hold 5 large carcasses (deer, cougar, etc).

Got a 3-star but you can't go back to camp? Shoo horse, call wagon, deposit carcass, dismiss wagon, call horse

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

FuturePastNow posted:

The hunting wagon is a good investment. It can hold 5 large carcasses (deer, cougar, etc).

Got a 3-star but you can't go back to camp? Shoo horse, call wagon, deposit carcass, dismiss wagon, call horse

Oh word you don't have to personally drive that thing?

That's what gets me the most. When the game lets me turn them in, it barely makes a dent. And then I have to buy supplies again. And then I have to make a run for peanuts. But if an automatic meat wagon exists, that would help a ton. I might even have been tempted to buy gold to get that going if the game didn't kick over my sandcastle all the loving time and glitch out. At least CODMW stopped being so poo poo when I upgraded my processor, but I still don't feel like buying the pass after all the CTDs and bullshit.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

skooma512 posted:

Oh word you don't have to personally drive that thing?

That's what gets me the most. When the game lets me turn them in, it barely makes a dent. And then I have to buy supplies again. And then I have to make a run for peanuts. But if an automatic meat wagon exists, that would help a ton. I might even have been tempted to buy gold to get that going if the game didn't kick over my sandcastle all the loving time and glitch out. At least CODMW stopped being so poo poo when I upgraded my processor, but I still don't feel like buying the pass after all the CTDs and bullshit.

You can drive it around if you want. I just fill it and then call it at the camp to empty it into Cripps.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

FuturePastNow posted:

You can drive it around if you want. I just fill it and then call it at the camp to empty it into Cripps.

No way am I driving it if it'll deliver for me lol. I'm already tired of the quest commuting as it is.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, I finally took the plunge and bought RDR2 during the current Steam sale. Clocking in at 30 cents over the normal price, I figure that the Special Edition is not a bad deal, because I was just about ready to buy it regardless of price point anyway. :v:

Wish me luck, boys and/or girls. To many successful robberies!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

skooma512 posted:

No way am I driving it if it'll deliver for me lol. I'm already tired of the quest commuting as it is.

Yeah you can just call it from the interaction menu almost anywhere. It won't drive off-road to meet you, so if you're too far from the trail it might not be able to get to you or you may have a little hike. But it's generally very convenient and makes Trader much easier to do.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The hunting wagon is disconnect insurance.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Pretty much every problem RDO has can be tied to server population and peer to peer networking. It was that way on the PS4, and it's that way on the PC. Using the old GTA Online firewall tricks to get solo lobbies makes for a massive difference in stability and things actually working.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Capn Beeb posted:

Using the old GTA Online firewall tricks to get solo lobbies makes for a massive difference in stability and things actually working.

Can you link them? :shobon:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I wonder if I could make a proxy server in a VM and pipe PS4 traffic through that then.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I have accidentally closed the game three times now because it appears to treat the B button as confirmation instead of cancelling when you accidentally select the Quit option instead of the Map option in the main menu. Is there any way at all to avoid that? Because it kind of sucks.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
My new fav button problem is when you run up to a perfect carcass and press F to pick it up but you press F a moment too soon so the guy kicks it and it ruins it from 3 star to 1 star quality.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Cardiovorax posted:

I have accidentally closed the game three times now because it appears to treat the B button as confirmation instead of cancelling when you accidentally select the Quit option instead of the Map option in the main menu. Is there any way at all to avoid that? Because it kind of sucks.

Having this problem, I have almost quit like 10 times now.
Just trying to back out of the map and the game somehow thinks i'm quitting.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

hakimashou posted:

My new fav button problem is when you run up to a perfect carcass and press F to pick it up but you press F a moment too soon so the guy kicks it and it ruins it from 3 star to 1 star quality.

They need to have a dog follow you around laughing at the player every time :rockstar: fucks us over.

Knowing them the dog will cost 100 gold, 5 whatever the blue things are, and be a fish half the time.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Capn Beeb posted:

Pretty much every problem RDO has can be tied to server population and peer to peer networking. It was that way on the PS4, and it's that way on the PC. Using the old GTA Online firewall tricks to get solo lobbies makes for a massive difference in stability and things actually working.

I thought "no...." but i tried it and.... yep.

Solo lobby, everything just ticks along perfectly. Camp moves automatically, missions arent bugging out, nothing.There are even stranger missions around and stuff.

I'd run into players from the world's largest racist ethnostate periodically blowing everyone up or teleporting everyone or whatever but it hadn't been that big a deal, nobody had hosed with any deliveries or anything so I figured it wasnt worth the effort of solo lobby the way it is in GTA. Man was i wrong! Public lobbies just straight up break half the poo poo in the game.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 14, 2020

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Morter posted:

Can you link them? :shobon:

I looked it up and found a :reddit: post about it:

Initial Setup

Open Windows Defender Firewall and click Advance settings

Click Outbound Rules

Right-click Outbound Rules and click New Rule...

Select Port and hit Next

Select UDP, paste 6672, 61455, 61457, 61456, 61458 into the Specific remote ports section and hit Next

Select Block the connection and hit Next twice

Name the rule whatever you desire and hit Finish

Right-click the new saved rule and hit Disable Rule

------

In-Game Setup

Must be performed each time you want a solo lobby.

Launch the game normally while leaving Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security open

Do anything that puts you in a solo lobby, for example, enter a stranger mission, start a legendary bounty or load into change appearance

Once you're in a solo lobby, hit Enable Rule on the rule we just created

That's it, you're now in your solo lobby. You can complete your mission or exit change appearance and stay in. Enjoy!

Bottom line, you go into windows defender firewall and make your RDR rule, turn it off, load the game, press L go down to online options, change appearance.

Get to the change appearance screen, alt tab out, turn your firewall rule on, alt tab back in, exit change appearance screen, boom, solo lobby where everything just works.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Fixing online bugs but you have to remove other players is like fixing a cracked TV screen but you no longer can use electricity.

What are you getting out of it? The Online activities are extremely shallow.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

hakimashou posted:

I looked it up and found a :reddit: post about it:

Initial Setup

Open Windows Defender Firewall and click Advance settings

Click Outbound Rules

Right-click Outbound Rules and click New Rule...

Select Port and hit Next

Select UDP, paste 6672, 61455, 61457, 61456, 61458 into the Specific remote ports section and hit Next

Select Block the connection and hit Next twice

Name the rule whatever you desire and hit Finish

Right-click the new saved rule and hit Disable Rule

------

In-Game Setup

Must be performed each time you want a solo lobby.

Launch the game normally while leaving Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security open

Do anything that puts you in a solo lobby, for example, enter a stranger mission, start a legendary bounty or load into change appearance

Once you're in a solo lobby, hit Enable Rule on the rule we just created

That's it, you're now in your solo lobby. You can complete your mission or exit change appearance and stay in. Enjoy!

Bottom line, you go into windows defender firewall and make your RDR rule, turn it off, load the game, press L go down to online options, change appearance.

Get to the change appearance screen, alt tab out, turn your firewall rule on, alt tab back in, exit change appearance screen, boom, solo lobby where everything just works.

Tried this a while back and it just D/C'd me from the game itself.

So basically just like a normal session tbh

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Walked into the Wallace station general store, and was told they have a “no mask” policy.

Those were the days huh

Zesty posted:

Fixing online bugs but you have to remove other players is like fixing a cracked TV screen but you no longer can use electricity.

What are you getting out of it? The Online activities are extremely shallow.

I like to make number go up

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

skooma512 posted:

I like to make number go up

same but your numbers will go up as high as the max benefit in a seriously short amount of time. theres nothing to buy once you've satisfied your fashion sense and nothing to do once you've done it all.

gtav is a pretty lovely game but otoh you can log in and do whatever you want either co op, pvp, racing, shooting looting, soloing on the map, organised heists yadda yadda

rdr2 looks amazing and it has solid mechanics on a console but as a player in it it feels forlorn, empty and boring to me. and thats when it decides to work.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

doctor 7 posted:

Tried this a while back and it just D/C'd me from the game itself.

So basically just like a normal session tbh

I was doing it today and it was working fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Sleekly posted:

same but your numbers will go up as high as the max benefit in a seriously short amount of time. theres nothing to buy once you've satisfied your fashion sense and nothing to do once you've done it all.

And it's really hard to find people to grief have fun with when you have nothing else to do. Just aimlessly wandering looking for some excitement is such a drag with the weak radar range. I would do the dailies just for something to do while waiting for someone to come within range.