Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Last night was my first league night of the year and it was definitely interesting. The greens had been punched and topdressed Sunday and had not recovered at all so every putt was like a plinko board and we were pretty generous with gimmes. I shot 1 over with a birdie and a double and the birdie held up for a skin so that was a nice way to start the season. I also got hit in the forehead with a ball, luckily it was a toe shank from a wedge shot and it bounced once before hitting me so it wasn’t moving fast and I just have a little bump.

My partner (27ish handicap) aced the 190 yard par three... before the league, when he was playing 9 with his girlfriend. I’ve almost never seen him even par that hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Suprfli6 posted:

Last night was my first league night of the year and it was definitely interesting. The greens had been punched and topdressed Sunday and had not recovered at all so every putt was like a plinko board and we were pretty generous with gimmes. I shot 1 over with a birdie and a double and the birdie held up for a skin so that was a nice way to start the season. I also got hit in the forehead with a ball, luckily it was a toe shank from a wedge shot and it bounced once before hitting me so it wasn’t moving fast and I just have a little bump.

My partner (27ish handicap) aced the 190 yard par three... before the league, when he was playing 9 with his girlfriend. I’ve almost never seen him even par that hole.

My forehead shot was a pulled wedge, no bounce first, but at least it had traveled 100+ yards first. Giant knot, dimpled bleeding. Kept me out of a beret for a couple of weeks (army).

Edit:

Ok, my first post-pandemic tee time. 710 on Tuesday. Carts, but one player per, range is separated, and you have to book a range time, just like a tee time. No walk on range, no walk on tee time, no walk on putting green use. Pay by phone. I've been doing quite a bit of sensor mat golf, but I'm planning on playing from closest tees the other three guys are playing from, so I can hit 5 iron from the tee all day. Do not trust I can get driver in shape with a 40 ball bucket.

I'm taking a couple of chlorox wipes and cleaning the cart steering wheel and other points I'll touch before I head out. Any other paranoid precautions I can take?

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 14, 2020

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Resist the urge to pick up a discarded tee on par threes to use yourself.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Suprfli6 posted:

Resist the urge to pick up a discarded tee on par threes to use yourself.

drat. I'm a tee picker upper, too. I haven't bought tees since the mid 90s. That's going to require a change in attitude.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Be a tee totaler. Abstain!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

boooooooooooo

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Mr. Mambold posted:

Goddammit Mambo.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Apparently there was a televised skins match yesterday and I completely missed it since I haven’t really been following sports news lately, ugh. Maybe I’ll try to stream it somewhere.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

Apparently there was a televised skins match yesterday and I completely missed it since I haven’t really been following sports news lately, ugh. Maybe I’ll try to stream it somewhere.
It’ll get replayed on Golf Channel to death bc it’s their only new content in months.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Suprfli6 posted:

Fun watch. Not great golf, they're all clearly not practicing like a regular season. Good personalities, but Wolff seems to be trying too hard, makes sense given the company.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Don't forget the Tiger/Phil/Brady/Manning match is this sunday!

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
It was very strange.

It was nice to see golf being played again but they had a real opportunity to try out different stuff than a normal broadcast and they instead just leaned hard into overproducing everything. The players were mic'd up but the announcers talked over them the entire time, they had an awkward Zoom call with Bill Murray in the middle of it, DJ clearly forgot the event was even happening as he looked like he hadn't swung a club in months, Wolff kept trying to chirp Rory and DJ but near the end Rory basically said "just hit your ball", and then they had a 10 minute long call with Trump where they asked if he was upset he wasn't able to play more golf recently. They have no concept of their audience and it's really unfortunate for us.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Daric posted:

It was very strange.

It was nice to see golf being played again but they had a real opportunity to try out different stuff than a normal broadcast and they instead just leaned hard into overproducing everything. The players were mic'd up but the announcers talked over them the entire time, they had an awkward Zoom call with Bill Murray in the middle of it, DJ clearly forgot the event was even happening as he looked like he hadn't swung a club in months, Wolff kept trying to chirp Rory and DJ but near the end Rory basically said "just hit your ball", and then they had a 10 minute long call with Trump where they asked if he was upset he wasn't able to play more golf recently. They have no concept of their audience and it's really unfortunate for us.

Golf broadcasts are uniformly terrible. Announcers can just tell us situations and show the video. Their analysis is terrible and I would rather hear the caddies and players 100% of the time.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Daric posted:

It was very strange.

They need to get Bill Murray away from golf, he adds nothing

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

ElGroucho posted:

They need to get Bill Murray away from golf, he adds nothing

He’s Bill loving Murray

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

It’ll get replayed on Golf Channel to death bc it’s their only new content in months.

Yeah looks like it's airing again tomorrow so I'll record it.

Tiger/Phil this weekend should be cool too. And then we're only another couple weeks from real PGA events again?

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

Golf broadcasts are uniformly terrible. Announcers can just tell us situations and show the video. Their analysis is terrible and I would rather hear the caddies and players 100% of the time.

The No Laying Up podcast episode with Peter Kostis was great because he blasted the poo poo out of how terrible golf broadcasts are and how it has the capability to be so much better.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Update from the USGA on their tournaments

quote:

The 120th U.S. Women’s Amateur, scheduled for Aug. 3-9 at Woodmont Country Club in Rockville, Md., and the 120th U.S. Amateur, scheduled for Aug. 10-16 at Bandon (Ore.) Dunes Golf Resort, will be conducted as scheduled, provided that CDC recommendations and state and local government guidelines make it possible to do so.

In addition, the USGA announced that the remaining four 2020 amateur championships will be canceled: those are the U.S. Women’s Mid-Amateur (which was scheduled Aug. 29-Sept. 3 at Berkeley Hall Club in Bluffton, S.C.); U.S. Senior Amateur (Aug. 29-Sept. 3 at Country Club of Detroit in Grosse Pointe Farms, Mich.); U.S. Mid-Amateur (Sept. 12-17 at Kinloch Golf Club in Manakin-Sabot, Va., and Independence Golf Club in Midlothian, Va.); and U.S. Senior Women’s Amateur (Sept. 12-17 at The Lakewood Club in Point Clear, Ala.).

The USGA previously announced the cancellation of six 2020 championships: the U.S. Amateur Four-Ball, U.S. Women’s Amateur Four-Ball, U.S. Senior Open, U.S. Senior Women’s Open, U.S. Girls’ Junior and U.S. Junior Amateur.

The USGA will thus conduct four championships in 2020, all at their originally scheduled sites. In early April, the USGA announced that the 120th U.S. Open will be played at Winged Foot Golf Club in Mamaroneck, N.Y., from Sept. 17-20, and the 75th U.S. Women’s Open will be played at Champions Golf Club in Houston, Texas, from Dec. 10-13. Testing and robust health and safety protocols will be in place at each of the four championships.

All four championships will be conducted without qualifying, which means the fields will be filled entirely through exemptions.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Well, first round went as expected. Hit the driver well as long as I just didn't go at it, otherwise not very predictable off the tee. Good putting, with a couple of notably bad holes where I read green speed/break hilariously wrong.

Good social distancing by the course. Call from the parking lot to pay, they direct you to which spot you can be on the range, give reminder to keep distance putting on the practice. No two practice bays adjacent were in use. One cart per person (I Clorox wiped the places I would be touching) and no water on the course. Drink cart came on the 18th hole (we were the first group).

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

My mandatory vacation starts tomorrow and goes through next week and oh boy do I have some golf lined up!

Tomorrow Southern Dunes - https://www.southerndunes.com/
Sunday Juliette Falls - http://www.juliettefalls.com/
Tuesday World Woods - https://www.worldwoods.com/ both Pine Barrens and Rolling Oaks

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm playing 54 holes over the weekend and I'm starting to wonder if it's too much.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's a lot, for sure. I haven't broken the 18 barrier yet, maybe somewhere not as hot as Texas?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm up in Portland and it's beautiful weather (finally) all weekend long. Quail Valley here I come!

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Good luck man, tell us how it goes

Uh, take extra socks

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
For 54 hole run, take this old man's advice....find a hot tub for every evening, if you can't, soak in a bathtub. Seriously, after day one, you'll feel normal. Soak anyway.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Had to leave a course yesterday because 1h15m after teeing off, I still hadn’t started hole #4

:negative:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xsf421 posted:

Had to leave a course yesterday because 1h15m after teeing off, I still hadn’t started hole #4

holy poo poo I'd have been furious

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
drat sorry dude. I tend to lose a lot of balls too getting back into it

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

xsf421 posted:

So, quick math, 75 minutes for 3 holes, 25 minutes per hole times 18 holes, 450 minutes to complete. So, what's the issue? Are you too good to play a 7.5 hour round?

My personal longest non-tournament round was when I quit after 15 at the 5 hour mark.

I hope you got your money back. Did the course have anything to say about that kind of gently caress up?

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Some of the courses here are doing 10 minute spacing for social distancing reasons. I expected this to not make much difference but even with tons of hacks out there and a full tee sheet we waited a lot less. Would love if they kept that up as it’s a lot more enjoyable to not wait on every tee box.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Summit posted:

Some of the courses here are doing 10 minute spacing for social distancing reasons. I expected this to not make much difference but even with tons of hacks out there and a full tee sheet we waited a lot less. Would love if they kept that up as it’s a lot more enjoyable to not wait on every tee box.

Can you clarify? Do you mean tee times at ten minute intervals or an additional ten minutes between tee times. So, basically leaving every other tee time open.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Courses local to me went from 12 minute tee time spacing to 17 minute. I think it’s a great idea to do it forever if it speeds up pace of play.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.

torgeaux posted:

Can you clarify? Do you mean tee times at ten minute intervals or an additional ten minutes between tee times. So, basically leaving every other tee time open.

Pre pandemic the tee sheet was spaced 8 minutes apart and it was horrendously overcrowded on full days. Waiting 5+ minutes on every tee box. The day I went it was completely booked up but 10 minute spacing and we only waited a minute a few times. Massive improvement to enjoyment IMO.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Summit posted:

Pre pandemic the tee sheet was spaced 8 minutes apart and it was horrendously overcrowded on full days. Waiting 5+ minutes on every tee box. The day I went it was completely booked up but 10 minute spacing and we only waited a minute a few times. Massive improvement to enjoyment IMO.

8 minutes is way too short. That's crazy.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
LOL, for years all of the LA City courses had 6 minute tee times and the busier courses would routinely have 6 hour rounds and everyone complained constantly. The idiots on the Parks and Rec committee that run the golf division refused to believe it was the 6 minute intervals causing the problems until finally they commissioned a loving study for $$$$ from some consulting company that took a year to release their findings, and shocker, they concluded that it's impossible to not get backed up with 6 minute intervals.

So 2 years ago they finally switched to 8 minute tee times and things have been notably better, but still can be bad on the weekends, but we're talking 5 hour rounds instead of 6+.

Now due to COVID they have the tee times at 12 minutes apart and I've played twice on the busiest course in the city at peak times in just under 4 hours. Everyone is praying that when this is over they keep the intervals at 12 minutes and just jack up the greens fees to compensate, but they won't because they're dumb.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
My course went from 8 minute tee times, and "expected" rounds of 4:45 to ten minute rounds two years ago and now 430 is the outlier and normally 4 to 4:15.

Courses that get greedy go below ten and players are uniformly miserable. If it's a course I'm unfamiliar with, I check that spacing. Typically, cramming people on is a sign of other measures to pump profit at the expense of player experience.

The course where I quit after 15 holes in 5 hours didn't have rangers and when I spoke to the manager about it, could not identify how it happened. I called the clubhouse at the turn (2:45 hours) and did not see a ranger until around 14 and he came from behind me and couldn't understand why it wasn't useful to go from 10 instead of 18 to find delay. That course is on 8 minute tee times, has a men's league, a women's league and a senior league that, "we can't ask them to speed up, it's a competition."

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

18/54 holes down, shot a 91 which is pretty good for me! Felt great afterwards, could have done another 18. 2 hour 15 minute round.

If there are any other Portland goons that golf hit me up, I'd love to play with some of y'all.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

torgeaux posted:

That course is on 8 minute tee times, has a men's league, a women's league and a senior league that, "we can't ask them to speed up, it's a competition."

Infuriating excuse. Our men's club competitions are what actually got our course to both spread out the tee times and speed up play overall by proving to them that our tournaments play faster than the general public because we started policing slow play internally.

Basically we deputized everyone to issue warnings and penalties for groups that were more than 1 hole behind and didn't catch up to the group in front of them within 1-2 holes after being warned. There was a lot of complaining from the old timers about how they can't play that fast in a tournament and how they don't want to be responsible for penalizing their friends for the first month or two. A year later, our weekend tournaments with 100-120 players in the field went from averaging 5:30 per group down to 4:10 per group and our membership is up 40% because all the people who quit playing in the club because it was too slow came back and lots of guys who didn't join in the first place because of pace of play now play in club events simply because it's a faster round than playing with the public due to everyone in the field playing marshal.

Oh and I think there have been a total of 4 actual slow play penalties assessed over the last 2 seasons of hundreds of players playing dozens of events per year. Just the idea that it's possible to be penalized for being behind getting instilled into people was enough to speed everyone up.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Yeah, policing is as important as spacing.

A different course, owned by the same guys as the bad one, the ladies group are self-policing and move out. Guys bitch about playing behind women and it is hilarious. No one is worse than an old retired guy playing in his league telling the group behind to wait he has to go back and rehit his tee shot because he did in fact go OB. Just hit a loving provisional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
The main causes of slow play I've seen:

Seniors who refuse to play the correct tee. You ain't 30 anymore, Gramps

Four jackasses standing around the green like it's the Masters but everyone is five putting. Ready golf isn't just for the fairway

Ironically everytime I see a women's group, they are going so fast, it's actually annoying how much they are on your rear end.