Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Railway stations are populated and stuff now, but they're just there, there's no tracks between towns or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The lab tracks sometimes connect, though!

also gently caress zombie bio-operators

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Still kind of cowardly at the moment - tried to shoot my way through a Triffid swarm that was on the road, figured I had ammo to burn. I mowed down a lot of them, but I took a little wound and decided to nope out of there rather than stick around and finish them all off.
Do animal-ish monsters like giant ants not attack or chase you if you don't get close? There's a bunch of ants on the road ahead of me, I think I would prefer to take a detour around them, and they don't seem to be chasing after me.

EDIT - welp, I think they've blocked off the bridge. I might have to shoot through.

EDIT EDIT
Guess not. Even the hostile ones aren't too enthusiastic about chasing me. Managed to walk through.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 13, 2020

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Chobayt posted:

Are rail stations not weird and half-implemented anymore? I drove around one a few games ago and it wasn't connected to a rail-line and looked to just be full of snacks, periodicals and a crapton of zombies. I threw on the "Remove rail station" mod and haven't looked back. Hopefully they fixed them or there are different kinds of rail-station and you didn't just lose a run over the chance to loot chips, soda and comic books.

They're still in that state in stable at least, but it was ~in character~ because she was a soldier who had a military ops map that highlighted the station and like, nowhere else so I was pretending like her orders were to rendezvous there. :downs:

E; animals can be dramatically unpredictable in whether they will aggro you or not tbh.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 13, 2020

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It depends on the animal but most will ignore you unless you get too close or are injured and it's a predator of some sort.

If they're intent on chasing you and they're faster than you they won't back off unless you hurt them or scare them some other way, I think fire works for some/most normal animals?

edit: Gauge your reaction on the animal. Fox chasing you? Throw something at it or hit a few times and it'll probably back off. Moose? Shower it in a hail of gunfire, grenades, molotovs and spells while you ram it with your murderhome.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 13, 2020

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Moose used to be incredibly arbitrary, but apparently nowadays they're only seriously aggressive during mating season in the fall.

Ants are kind of a special case, in that the workers will generally leave you alone, unless you make any kind of loud noise, at which point they go berserk. I have no idea what counts as a loud noise, and do my best to not find out.

If they're acid ants, I generally just nope the gently caress out and find a different area of map to explore, because they're going to get you killed one way or another.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I've just went through the multi-day process of scrounging enough steel to make an anvil without the luxury of having a dump where I can easily get the materials from. While doing that I noticed that smashing cars for materials only seems to work on certain tiles. On other tiles my sledge did nothing to the car and the log said that I couldn't damage the pavement. Is there any logic as to which car tiles are smashable and which just make me hit the pavement?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Tin Tim posted:

I've just went through the multi-day process of scrounging enough steel to make an anvil without the luxury of having a dump where I can easily get the materials from. While doing that I noticed that smashing cars for materials only seems to work on certain tiles. On other tiles my sledge did nothing to the car and the log said that I couldn't damage the pavement. Is there any logic as to which car tiles are smashable and which just make me hit the pavement?

If you've the tools, I've always just used a few steel or heavy duty frames instead of lumps of steel to make an anvil, which you can get by deconstructing the various vehicles.

If you've already got your crucible made and either a forge or a welder, you can disassemble steel frames into lumps or chunks of steel too.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Wolfechu posted:

If you've the tools, I've always just used a few steel or heavy duty frames instead of lumps of steel to make an anvil, which you can get by deconstructing the various vehicles.

If you've already got your crucible made and either a forge or a welder, you can disassemble steel frames into lumps or chunks of steel too.
The problem is that getting to the frames is gated behind several tools and mechanics levels since you need to remove every part that is on said frame. Like at best you need mechanics 2 and a wrench to get the frame from a door tile. And to get mechanics 2 without books you need the wrench to begin with. I did not have a wrench and had to get into forging to make one from scratch :(

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Ah, yeah. Wrenches are easier to get hold of than they used to be, but I've had games like that where one just doesn't show up.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Tin Tim posted:

Try letting zombies smash cars for you. :v:

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I've noticed the same behavior; I haven't tested it but my guess is it's for the same reason you can't remove a frame that would leave disconnected vehicle tiles.

Try starting at ends and systematically smashing towards the middle

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Wolfechu posted:

Ah, yeah. Wrenches are easier to get hold of than they used to be, but I've had games like that where one just doesn't show up.
Yeah in stable they seem to be at a premium since they're sorta rare and gate so drat many things. Making them from scratch sucks but I'm over the hump now

Xand_Man posted:

Try starting at ends and systematically smashing towards the middle
I'll try to remember next time I have to hussle for steel the hard way

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Try letting zombies smash cars for you. :v:
That's probably risky but you know when you're desperate enough... :v:

Also

Roach basements sure are messy work. I've cut through like 15 of these fuckers and there's probably a few more left down there. On the other hand I got all the chitin I will ever need I guess

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Wolfechu posted:

Moose used to be incredibly arbitrary, but apparently nowadays they're only seriously aggressive during mating season in the fall.

Ants are kind of a special case, in that the workers will generally leave you alone, unless you make any kind of loud noise, at which point they go berserk. I have no idea what counts as a loud noise, and do my best to not find out.

If they're acid ants, I generally just nope the gently caress out and find a different area of map to explore, because they're going to get you killed one way or another.

one time a boomer apparently pissed off a hive with a lot of acid ants. Looting a house on the outskirts of a city when I heard and then spotted a boomer, as well as a gaggle of zombies, which I really did not want to have to deal with, so I dipped and took what I had back to the car. There were ants near by that I spotted on the way in, but they were just workers, I think I didn't spot all of them though.

I'm not sure about the details because I hosed off shortly after hearing the boom but when I came back the next day, acid was everywhere on the grass and various surfaces and there was a pitched battle going between the remaining zombies of all types in a large-ish city and a nearby hive which had apparently decided that they were some kind of threat

I really don't know why or how this happened, or even that it was possible to begin with; but the aftermath was something to behold. a couple houses were half melted and there were puddles of acid EVERYWHERE.

unlike eyebots, zombies can and will attack, and hurt, ants;

also unlike eyebots, the hive has some kind of intelligence. I think the hole was two? three? grid squares away from the outskirts of the city, so I can't explain why there was still a pitched melee going on otherwise 24 hours later. It was close enough for workers and a couple soldiers to come close enough in the first place I guess? I'm just not sure it would have happened if I hadn't aggroed the boomer in the first place, even if I didn't realize I had aggroed it until I started to flee in the first place.

e: clarity

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 14, 2020

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Lmao

quote:

SUMMARY: Content "Make cranberry juice not fun"

Purpose of change
cranberry_juice appears to represent unsweetened, full strength cranberry juice. That will not be pleasant to drink by the cup. At the very least you would want to dilute it, but more likely
you would want to add sweetener or mix it with a juice that is sweet.

Describe the solution
Set the "fun" value to -1, on par with ketchup, mustard, and mayo.

Describe alternatives you've considered
Pretend that drinking a full cup of unsweetened, undiluted cranberry juice is fun
Setting the "fun" to 0, on par with cooked buckwheat and various MREs and cooked suspect meats
Make cranberry_juice represent cranberry juice cocktail instead, adjusting nutrition and recipes accordingly
Testing
In game: drink cranberry juice. -1 morale
IRL: drink a full cup of unsweetened, undiluted cranberry juice and see how much happier you are"

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I like Ketchup by itself...

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Bug report: cooked broccoli gives happiness. This must be a mistake, because as we all know vegetables are yucky.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
PR: Add a system to track PC (and eventually NPC) smell and taste receptors and their evolution over time. These are leveraged into a science-based food-fun engine for perfect taste simulation

eating anything that smells vaguely of celery makes you vomit uncontrollably

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Vib Rib posted:

Bug report: cooked broccoli gives happiness. This must be a mistake, because as we all know vegetables are yucky.

All characters should have a selection of randomly generated fruits and vegetables that they absolutely hate and will take massive mood penalties for eating.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Welp that's the end of my best run yet, a mansion start where I found a good mace and samurai armor. Got overconfident and tried to tackle a private resort.
I was doing well until my dog stopped helping distract the zombies. :rip:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Galaga Galaxian posted:

All characters should have a selection of randomly generated fruits and vegetables that they absolutely hate and will take massive mood penalties for eating.
Honestly I've had this idea myself and I absolutely love it. Having a character with random taste profiles would be fantastic.
Right now certain foods are just better or worse than others for having better morale boosts. But I'd love the variety of like... okay, this character's favorite candy is those peanut butter ones and he gets like +20 morale so you end up hoarding those things as the last good memory of a crumbling world. Or someone who can't stand apples, or who really enjoys ice cream, or whatever. Even if the randomization was per-food, so you didn't get any bigger trends (like 'hates sweets but loves salty snacks'), it would still be a welcome change because everyone would have just a little something that makes them unique. As it is, everyone has the same favorite meal if you go by morale.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
For the first time I have a decent run going; my character's survived about a week and has light survivor armor and decent skills. I've noticed that lots of food is starting to spoil. I found a dehydrator and dried some fruits, and I've been living on scrambled eggs and deluxe sandwiches. I'm trying to come up with a plan for food security, and could probably use some advice. Hunting some animals and making jerky in the smoker or dehydrator is probably a decent idea, but I'm not sure if that is enough. There's always the possibility of striking out on hunting trips, too. There's lots of jarred veggies and such laying around that I'm starting to hoard, but I fear this character being doomed by something as lame as starvation.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Set up a charcoal kiln using rocks, cut down a tree and fill the kiln, you'll have thousands of units of charcoal.
Find or make a charcoal smoker.
Find a (dairy farm), kill and full-butcher a cow. Make excessive amount of sausages.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Set up a charcoal kiln using rocks, cut down a tree and fill the kiln, you'll have thousands of units of charcoal.
Find or make a charcoal smoker.
Find a (dairy farm), kill and full-butcher a cow. Make excessive amount of sausages.
Or make a smoking rack and smoke the meat and then dry it. Lots of dishes can be made with re-hydrated meat. Also using the rack cuts down on the loss in spoil time from the raw meat(if you don't have a fridge) and saves you a bunch of actual in-game time. Flour is also great since it has a long spoil time and the base grains are shelf stable. One wheat farm usually has like 200+ units of wheat out on the field to be collected at your leisure.

So why exactly are eyebots are thing? I mean it's already hard enough to loot in a zombie/monster infested city but now I learned that I should never pry a door or smash a window again apparently. Them spawning in riot bots out of thin air is rather bullshit. How do you deal with that effectively? In my example I got one swing on the eyebot before it flew off to god knows where and then had to bash down the riot bot in a tedius slugfest with my machete. Good thing I was wearing a gasmask otherwise it would have wrecked me

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I always go on looting raids at night and only turn my light on for a few seconds when absolutely neccesary. That's mostly for zombies but helps with bots too.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The grain silos are even better than the wheat farms, easily more wheat and in a much more compact area.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Okay, gunning down dozens of triffids that were in my way might not have gotten me any loot, but it was a fun way to deal with being overloaded. Plus it's good practice, and I'm running stats through skills and stats through kills, though I don't know how much they're all worth or how to keep track of my kill points.
I think I need to dump some my empty magazines - I feel compelled to hoard, but the whole heap of them weighs a ton.

Still marching down the road, about two weeks in, yet to find a city. Did find a recipe for a makeshift arc welder, but I'm short on copper wire and power converters.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Aren't the triffids delicious veggies? Butcher em for plant sinew and food. That's kind of all they're good for though.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

The grain silos are even better than the wheat farms, easily more wheat and in a much more compact area.

The only time I've managed to get into one (although admittedly I didn't try before) was when a wasp nest spawned on one and I could just rip through the paper walls.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

That Guy Bob posted:

Aren't the triffids delicious veggies? Butcher em for plant sinew and food. That's kind of all they're good for though.
Huh, I would have guessed they would be poisonous. Oh well, time to go hunt for amusingly shaped marrows.

It's day 83, still no city, but I managed to score a mostly intact RV - it had a faulty engine, but I managed to strip it out and replace it with a car engine from a nearby wreck. Low on gas, but at least it's running, just have to hope I can find more to siphon.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Dareon posted:

The only time I've managed to get into one (although admittedly I didn't try before) was when a wasp nest spawned on one and I could just rip through the paper walls.
There is a certain type of silo that actually spawns with a door but it seems very rare. Have only seen it once so far and all the other silos I've seen have thick metal walls all around so I'm not sure if these contain grain

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Tin Tim posted:

So why exactly are eyebots are thing? I mean it's already hard enough to loot in a zombie/monster infested city but now I learned that I should never pry a door or smash a window again apparently. Them spawning in riot bots out of thin air is rather bullshit. How do you deal with that effectively? In my example I got one swing on the eyebot before it flew off to god knows where and then had to bash down the riot bot in a tedius slugfest with my machete. Good thing I was wearing a gasmask otherwise it would have wrecked me

Either get your hand on a police badge (stations, prisons,zombie cops) or just don't dawdle. Usually you find them in cities where there is plenty of cover; break line of sight and you're fine.

As for Riotbots, they make A LOT of noise; just kite them into zombie territory and come back later. Their riot gas does squat to the undead so they'll go down eventually.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Rockopolis posted:

Huh, I would have guessed they would be poisonous. Oh well, time to go hunt for amusingly shaped marrows.

It's day 83, still no city, but I managed to score a mostly intact RV - it had a faulty engine, but I managed to strip it out and replace it with a car engine from a nearby wreck. Low on gas, but at least it's running, just have to hope I can find more to siphon.

Have you been checking gas stations or possibly military bunkers for maps? When I spread out the city distance too far it was helpful to find a map and discover I'd been somehow bumbling right by a few.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Tin Tim posted:

There is a certain type of silo that actually spawns with a door but it seems very rare. Have only seen it once so far and all the other silos I've seen have thick metal walls all around so I'm not sure if these contain grain

The silo that spawns with a door is on a specific variety of farm, if I recall correctly.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Caidin posted:

Have you been checking gas stations or possibly military bunkers for maps? When I spread out the city distance too far it was helpful to find a map and discover I'd been somehow bumbling right by a few.
I got a couple survivor maps. No cities. Took me a while to even reach the nearest road, and I've only just found the first fork in the road.

It's a really strange, nomad experience so far.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

So why exactly are eyebots are thing?

Eyebots bring copbots. If you can trick a zombie into breaking into a house in front of an eyebot, poo poo is hilarious. If the eyebot saw you breaking into a house, it’s also hilarious but in a bad way.

E: gently caress, you’re reading this after you pissed off the eyebot. Don’t swing at the eyebot, that just pisses it off more. Your best bet is to make the zombies do crime. Lead your mini horde through some windows in front of the eye/cop bots and slip the gently caress away.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 14, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Xand_Man posted:

Either get your hand on a police badge (stations, prisons,zombie cops) or just don't dawdle.
Does this actually work? Pretty sure I read that you also need to start with a police related profession for it to function but that info may be outdated

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Eyebots bring copbots. If you can trick a zombie into breaking into a house in front of an eyebot, poo poo is hilarious. If the eyebot saw you breaking into a house, it’s also hilarious but in a bad way.

E: gently caress, you’re reading this after you pissed off the eyebot. Don’t swing at the eyebot, that just pisses it off more. Your best bet is to make the zombies do crime. Lead your mini horde through some windows in front of the eye/cop bots and slip the gently caress away.
The eyebot in question didn't see my doing anything. I triggered an alarm and hosed off right away. A little while later I returned to the area, stepped into an alley and the eyebot was chilling around the corner and took my pic. I swung at it once after that, taking half its health and it scooted away never to be seen again. On the way back I ran into the copbot it spawned. I'm not sure how the eyebots really work but I think I saw a log message where it told me to drop my weapon? Could be that this made it consider me as a criminal

Also

:smith:

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The eating and drinking part is interesting, it'd be quite an incentive to get your food stocks sorted out if zombies actually did break into houses and eat stuff now and then.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Weird bug I'm noticing in latest experimental where some items are in the negative quantity and you can't pick them up or put them down if they somehow get into your inventory. Attempting to remove these eggs from the fridge also adds -1 to the value each time I try. Wondering if this is how I hatch 40000 chickens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Does it add negative weight and/or volume? If it does that might be worth the trouble of making it impossible to ever get a real version of that item (assuming you are fine with abusing a hilarious bug like that).