Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Iron Crowned posted:

This is the only cat you need:

He would go great next to Lucha the luchador bird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

I've been watching this stuff (Not Cats the movie...Not enough drugs) for the last 2 months. It's about 50/50 between just ok (Phantom 1&2, the ALW tribute) and :whoptc: (Joseph, By Jeeves) and Cats will 100% be in the latter.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Apparently Kat Dennings has been cast as Death in the Sandman movie or series or whatever. James McAvoy is Morpheus, Taron Edgerton is John Constantine, etc.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Gatts posted:

Apparently Kat Dennings has been cast as Death in the Sandman movie or series or whatever. James McAvoy is Morpheus, Taron Edgerton is John Constantine, etc.

Audible original series which makes a lot more sense

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2020/05/13/the-sandman-audio-productions-cast-is-revealed

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

AceOfFlames posted:

It’s a reference to the Venture Bros. In an early season, David Bowie is revealed to be the Sovereign, the leader of the supervillain organization The Guild of Calamitous Intent, and has shapeshifting powers. However, in a later season they retconned it into not being the real Bowie but rather an anonymous shapeshifter who befriended Bowie in the 80s (he was the model for the cover of Diamond Dogs) and assumed his identity.

Also, Iman played a shapeshifter in Star Trek VI, which one wonders, did Bowie ever visit the set?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Guess what's still not going to streaming?

https://twitter.com/deadline/status/1260617446005698560?s=21

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

This one was probably planned out before all of this started, but I was wondering if with the epidemic we'd see a bunch of actors try radio plays.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Eric Roberts is just sitting in his home recording booth rubbing his hands together and laughing.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I've had a script idea kicking around for an X Japan biopic for a minute. Their story gets absolutely wild in parts, they were (are?) a loving incredible band, and most Americans have no idea any part of it exists unless they're giant weeaboos.

Last I checked, Yoshiki is still talking about releasing another album, and it's been over 10 years. Hell, it's coming up on 10 years since I saw them on their first American tour... a loud-rear end metal band that sells out 50,000 seat stadiums in Asia crammed into the 3,000 seat Fox Theater in Oakland. That was an experience.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Red Bones posted:

This one was probably planned out before all of this started, but I was wondering if with the epidemic we'd see a bunch of actors try radio plays.

I know McAvoy at least has done audio stuff before, he was the main character in the BBC Radio adaptation of Neverwhere from about ten years ago. Actually that also had a great cast, I remember Benedict Cumberbatch, Christopher Lee, Natalie Dormer and Anthony Head were also in it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yoshiki did a world tour playing X Japan music that was orchestrated instead of hard-rock stuff not too long ago.

Seems like a fun guy all in all.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Len posted:

That guy's worth like $50 because nerds wants the heterochromatic cat in their animal crossing village

You're off by a couple zeroes.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

feedmyleg posted:

Eric Roberts is just sitting in his home recording booth rubbing his hands together and laughing.

Never having read it, I didn't realize that Sandman had a talking cat in it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You're off by a couple zeroes.

Numbers have dropped to more realistic according to the ended eBay auctions

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nk...lete=1&_sacat=0

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ChickenMedium posted:

Never having read it, I didn't realize that Sandman had a talking cat in it

It's pretty hard to name something that isn't in Sandman somewhere.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1259986662899187712?s=21

https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/1259951029493301251?s=21

I blame the children for the failure of Gabbo

They’re all SOBs

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I talked with a couple industry folks in the fall who worked on Quibi and they thought it was a total joke and put the failure solely on Katzenberg being hilariously out of touch and trying to micromanage everything.

Also, for tech investors 1.8 billion is not worth three exclamation points. Uber loses 1.8 billion before breakfast.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
What did that app do that ig/tik dont?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

got any sevens posted:

Charge a subscription fee.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:iceburn:

Quibi is a sort of "worst of both worlds" between the UGC micro-content of IG/TT and a traditional streaming service. Targeted at teens with content decisions made solely by a guy nearly in his 70s.

e: It's the "How do you do, fellow kids?" of apps.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 14, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alan Smithee posted:

I blame the children for the failure of Gabbo

They’re all SOBs

Speaking of Simpsons quotes, when I hear the name Quibi I can't help wonder WTF that even means and it reminds me of "'Woozle wuzzle'? That's what passes for entertainment these days?"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Katzenberg might as well just sell all Quibi shows to Netflix, or even post them on YouTube. But with the kind of money they spend, it might never make a profit.

One best case estimate concludes that Quibi might only see a return in their investment after 22 years, and that estimate assumes it's actually popular.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Judging by what I've heard, Quibi is basically a way to subvert union rules because it's short form new media, so the actors and executives get good pay but everyone else on set gets screwed.

got any sevens posted:

It's supposed to be somewhat prestigey and offer reality shows and dramas that you can't get on user-generated apps like TikTok, but half the shows sound like 30 Rock gags. Like the show where a crew takes houses where people were murdered and flip them to sell, or a show where chefs have to construct a dish based around what's shot at their faces while blindfolded, or a show where Anna Kendrick falls in love with a sex doll, or whatever Gayme Show is.

Lobok posted:

Speaking of Simpsons quotes, when I hear the name Quibi I can't help wonder WTF that even means and it reminds me of "'Woozle wuzzle'? That's what passes for entertainment these days?"

It's short for Quick Bites, and he wanted that to be the name of the episodes/a measurement of time. See the ad where a pilot tells his passengers they'll stay in the air for "one more Quibi."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Judging by what I've heard, Quibi is basically a way to subvert union rules because it's short form new media, so the actors and executives get good pay but everyone else on set gets screwed.

It's supposed to be somewhat prestigey and offer reality shows and dramas that you can't get on user-generated apps like TikTok, but half the shows sound like 30 Rock gags. Like the show where a crew takes houses where people were murdered and flip them to sell, or a show where chefs have to construct a dish based around what's shot at their faces while blindfolded, or a show where Anna Kendrick falls in love with a sex doll, or whatever Gayme Show is.

It's short for Quick Bites, and he wanted that to be the name of the episodes/a measurement of time. See the ad where a pilot tells his passengers they'll stay in the air for "one more Quibi."

lol so if it's short for Quick Bites then does it rhyme with rib-eye?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I just don't see how he can blame the virus for the failure of a streaming service. The virus is the best thing to happen to streaming in its history.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

In fairness to his pathetic excuse, the people who gave him money in the first place clearly aren't very bright.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I just don't see how he can blame the virus for the failure of a streaming service. The virus is the best thing to happen to streaming in its history.

The virus is good in the short- and medium-term for streaming services that already have plenty of content filmed or in a post-production pipeline. If you have yet to make a bunch of killer content that isn't people filming from their living rooms then you're boned.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Quibi really hosed up by not advertising any particular show early on, they just focused on "you can watch a show! with famous people! on your phone! it's short!" and hey that's tight an whatever but Youtube already does that and Youtube's free.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The idea as I understand it is that each episode is like 10 minutes long so they’re meant to be watched while you’re on the go, like you’re sitting in a waiting room somewhere or killing the last few minutes of your lunch break or something. So the fact that other streaming services are doing great is the issue, instead of being busy and having 10 minutes here and there to watch something, everyone’s sitting at home binge watching actual shows for hours

I mean quibi wasn’t ever going to be a hit regardless but yeah the shutdown didn’t help

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
One of their headlining shows is a Reno 911 revival. That's a series no one in their target demo has ever heard of. That right there should tell you how badly managed the whole venture is.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

The idea as I understand it is that each episode is like 10 minutes long so they’re meant to be watched while you’re on the go, like you’re sitting in a waiting room somewhere or killing the last few minutes of your lunch break or something. So the fact that other streaming services are doing great is the issue, instead of being busy and having 10 minutes here and there to watch something, everyone’s sitting at home binge watching actual shows for hours

I mean quibi wasn’t ever going to be a hit regardless but yeah the shutdown didn’t help

That's a terrible excuse. People are loving quick bites of video during the lockdown. Youtube and Tiktok are killing it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

One of their headlining shows is a Reno 911 revival. That's a series no one in their target demo has ever heard of. That right there should tell you how badly managed the whole venture is.

Idk, I haven't caught it but Reno 911 seems like it's suited for that format if they stick to the calls. But yeah, feels like it would skew too old.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

yes.

I´m also a big Captain Beefheart fan and Frank (2014) has basically prematurely made any future Captain Beefheart film obsolete despite technically being a Frank Sidebottom film because the general arc of the film is basically about the recording of Trout Mask Replica.

Could you elaborate on this? Big fan of the movie.

Who would be the Domnail equivalent, aka the red headed guy

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It turns out people stuck at home want to watch TV-like content on their loving TVs or computer monitors. Nobody wants to watch TV on their phone at home.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Codependent Poster posted:

It turns out people stuck at home want to watch TV-like content on their loving TVs or computer monitors. Nobody wants to watch TV on their phone at home.

I don't think people want to watch TV on their phone, even when they're not stuck in. The only times I can recall ever doing that is when I visit my parents, they go to bed at like 8:30, and have a terrible dog, so I'm stuck in a room watching Hulu on my phone.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had a similar idea to quibi before I found out about it, except it involved the idea of "prestige" content, i.e. video essays and "serious" short films, and you subscribed to specific creators and not the service itself. Kind of like patreon/Kickstarter for short films. Also involved poaching creators from YouTube.

Now that I think about it, there might have been something like that a few years ago actually and I just completely forgot it existed. I remember them having a big old gently caress YouTube campaign and a lot of YouTube creators making think pieces in why they sucked

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Lobok posted:

I keep thinking about a guy who came into the store where I work to have a cassette tape of his teenage years' band music digitized. The band's name was 'Kwijibo' but I felt pointing out that I recognized it from the Simpsons would just embarrass us both.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Clowner posted:

I had a similar idea to quibi before I found out about it, except it involved the idea of "prestige" content, i.e. video essays and "serious" short films, and you subscribed to specific creators and not the service itself. Kind of like patreon/Kickstarter for short films. Also involved poaching creators from YouTube.

Now that I think about it, there might have been something like that a few years ago actually and I just completely forgot it existed. I remember them having a big old gently caress YouTube campaign and a lot of YouTube creators making think pieces in why they sucked

Something kinda like that does exist but damned if I can remember the name.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Srice posted:

Something kinda like that does exist but damned if I can remember the name.

Nebula

Lindsay Ellis is on there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

There's been a couple of those platforms over the years, some people my wife used to watch were involved with an earlier one that's long dead (but I can't remember what its name was)