Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CPU threads go up, SA threads go down. The world is balanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Compared to the complete dumpster fire that 99% of forums are, I think we're doing fine here guys.

P.S.
Catalina still sux dix and so does Tim Crook

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Brain Issues posted:

Compared to the complete dumpster fire that 99% of forums are, I think we're doing fine here guys.

It's better than having a thread devoted to each hardware platform model and threads devoted to 10.11, 10.12, 10.13, 10.14.. etc. where the subthreads get so long half the posts are people posting 'do a drat search we mentioned this 343 pages ago get with the program'. ..I think..

quote:

P.S.
Catalina still sux dix and so does Tim Crook

Catalina will continue to 'sux dix' because they're gonna save most of its bug fixes for 10.16, to be announced in about a month at WWDC.. and then introduce a boatload of other bugs with it. Apple software integrity these days is approaching the level of a slow motion Aristocrats joke.

Also you shouldn't blame Tim Nook, you need to point the finger at Vice President of Software Engineering Craig Federighi, otherwise known as Hair Force One. He's the one who signs off on all Apple software releases.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 12, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Weedle posted:

what if there was one mac thread

Apple's proven tight integration of both hardware and software demands this.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Binary Badger posted:

Catalina will continue to 'sux dix' because they're gonna save most of its bug fixes for 10.16, to be announced in about a month at WWDC.. and then introduce a boatload of other bugs with it. Apple software integrity these days is approaching the level of a slow motion Aristocrats joke.

Also you shouldn't blame Tim Nook, you need to point the finger at Vice President of Software Engineering Craig Federighi, otherwise known as Hair Force One. He's the one who signs off on all Apple software releases.

It's fun listening to the Appleverse podcasts where the middle-aged, upper-middle class white dudes walk up to the line of "Fire Craig Federighi" but won't cross it because they're terrified of having their media access revoked

Catalina is bad because Mac software hasn't been a high priority at Apple for some time now, and the yearly release schedule for macOS doesn't make sense. Perhaps the ARM Macs and the 'rona causing everyone to go back to their Macs will spark a Mac renaissance at Apple in the near future.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Weedle posted:

abandon megathreads and post a new thread for each question or thought you have about macs

Megathreads are fine and short-lived single issue threads are good too.
However the SA design of having a million subforums and huge megathreads that people only ever access from their user control panel doesn't help the latter.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Hi, I've noticed a pop at the start or end of sound being played, or a few moments after stopping playback. It doesn't seem to be hardware, since I can hear it on the built-in speakers, headphones, and from a USB audio device. I also hear it on multiple applications, Chrome, Firefox, and Zoom. I've lived with it for a while, but now I'm noticing it between songs.

If I have an active audio source, I don't get any pop if another source stops and starts. It sounds like an amplifier switching on and off, so I'm suspecting power management or something? Are there any settings to look for?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Guy Axlerod posted:

If I have an active audio source, I don't get any pop if another source stops and starts. It sounds like an amplifier switching on and off, so I'm suspecting power management or something? Are there any settings to look for?

If it's really bad it could be a DC offset that some un-killed app has caused. Restart usually fixes it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
We need a combo Performa/Centris thread.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lots of utilities on sale.

https://bundlehunt.com/?ap_id=ap_id

iStat Menus
$6 (was $11.99)
Monitor your system right from the menubar with huge range of stats, including a CPU monitor, GPU, memory, network usage, disk usage, disk activity, date & time, battery and more.

PopChar X
$8 (was $33)
PopChar helps you get the most out of your font collection. With its crystal-clear interface, PopChar provides a frustration-free way to access any font's special characters.

A Better Finder Rename
$11.5 (was $22.95)
A Better Finder Rename is the most complete renaming solution available on the market today.

Flux 7.0
$7 (was $99.99)
Flux is an incredible Web Design Environment. Work in code and drag & drop. No compromises.

WALTR 2 for Mac
$5 (was $39.95)
A Magic drop area for your Apple device any Music, Ringtones, Videos, PDF & ePUB files onto your iPhone, iPad or iPod without iTunes.

A poo poo load more there but I have no idea which ones are worth a drat.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

iStat Menus
$6 (was $11.99)
Monitor your system right from the menubar with huge range of stats, including a CPU monitor, GPU, memory, network usage, disk usage, disk activity, date & time, battery and more.

PopChar X
$8 (was $33)
PopChar helps you get the most out of your font collection. With its crystal-clear interface, PopChar provides a frustration-free way to access any font's special characters.

A Better Finder Rename
$11.5 (was $22.95)
A Better Finder Rename is the most complete renaming solution available on the market today.

Flux 7.0
$7 (was $99.99)
Flux is an incredible Web Design Environment. Work in code and drag & drop. No compromises.

WALTR 2 for Mac
$5 (was $39.95)
A Magic drop area for your Apple device any Music, Ringtones, Videos, PDF & ePUB files onto your iPhone, iPad or iPod without iTunes.

WALTR2 for $5 would be an instant buy if I didn't already own it.

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

iStat Menus
$6 (was $11.99)

PopChar X
$8 (was $33)

A Better Finder Rename
$11.5 (was $22.95)

Flux 7.0
$7 (was $99.99)

WALTR 2 for Mac
$5 (was $39.95)

Hopefully it’s still going on when my MacBook Pro gets here. :ohdear:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

you .. can still buy the things now and they'll work later?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Is there a way to schedule when to automatically start or close programs for the day? Preferably with a warning when they are about to be closed down so that I can overturn it if I'm in the middle of something? Since I'm working from home these days I'd like to separate work from my own free time.

Xabi fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 14, 2020

Violator
May 15, 2003

Xabi posted:

Is there a way to schedule when to automatically start og close programs for the day? Preferably with a warning when they are about to be closed down so that I can overturn it if I'm in the middle of something? Since I'm working from home these days I'd like to separate work from my own free time.

Something you could consider is setting up a separate work account on the computer and then using parental controls. You could set time limits and then give your extensions I believe as the administrator. I’m not sure if it would work but something to try maybe.

I think the different account might be useful to keep your browser, bookmarks, Twitter, etc completely separate to help keep them separate in your mind. When you log into that account in the morning you are “clocking in” and when you log out in the afternoon you’re clocking out mentally.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
I use a late-model Mac Mini with Catalina for software development, but the I need to use the display that its hooked up to for other things. I can do most of my work over ssh from my Win10 laptop, which is my main machine. But I need a live web browser on the mac to get to pages that its hosting on localhost that are not externally routable.

I was looking into RDP and VNC, and the mac developer genius in our group recommended that I use the default VNC server in Mac OS. It is very buggy, and I frequently have to disable System Sharing in System Preferences, and re-enable it to get it to work at all. When it does work (I connect with TigerVNC from Win10), the performance is abysmal, takes 5-10 seconds for the screen to fully refresh. This is on the same subnet, the mac is literally across the room from my laptop.

What other options are available to me? Is VNC even what I'm looking for?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tugboat Willy posted:

Hopefully it’s still going on when my MacBook Pro gets here. :ohdear:

They just email you a key dude

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The Scientist posted:

I use a late-model Mac Mini with Catalina for software development, but the I need to use the display that its hooked up to for other things. I can do most of my work over ssh from my Win10 laptop, which is my main machine. But I need a live web browser on the mac to get to pages that its hosting on localhost that are not externally routable.

I was looking into RDP and VNC, and the mac developer genius in our group recommended that I use the default VNC server in Mac OS. It is very buggy, and I frequently have to disable System Sharing in System Preferences, and re-enable it to get it to work at all. When it does work (I connect with TigerVNC from Win10), the performance is abysmal, takes 5-10 seconds for the screen to fully refresh. This is on the same subnet, the mac is literally across the room from my laptop.

by "externally routable" do you mean you can't even access the pages via the local IP address/DNS name? e.g http://192.168.0.12 or http://dns-name.local I'm in a similar situation right now and just host some things on another machine, SSH into it, but access the web stuff via the local DNS name. seems way easier than relying on VNC or something

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The Scientist posted:

If you use the Apple VNC client to a Mac it works great as it enables some alternative encoding, it never made it through to any of the plethora of other implementations . Otherwise be lazy and just use TeamViewer.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

My opinion is that its actually better to go the other way if possible. RDP from the Mac into your Windows machine. MS's Remote Desktop is far and away better than anything else.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

Last Chance posted:

by "externally routable" do you mean you can't even access the pages via the local IP address/DNS name? e.g http://192.168.0.12 or http://dns-name.local I'm in a similar situation right now and just host some things on another machine, SSH into it, but access the web stuff via the local DNS name. seems way easier than relying on VNC or something

Not sure if "externally routable" is the right temr. I am basically bringing our web app up on the mac mini every time I build. So its a bunch of dynamic content that interacts with a db (all of this is a local kubernetes cluster). I think the issues preventing me from just accessing the web page - hosted on the mac mini - from another machine are 1) ports 80, 443, 5432 (postgres) etc aren't port forwarded, 2) all these ports are actually associated with 172.x.x.x IP addresses that are part of the kubernetes private network on the mac whereas the mac's IP on the wifi network is a 10.x.x.x address, so I would have to... I'm not sure, set up a proxy in Catalina to proxy traffic between other machins on the same wifi network, to the k8s cluster hosted on the 172. network?

sorry to overshare all the tech details. I have a degree in computer engineering, as far as networking, they teach us about socket programming and call it a day

phosdex posted:

My opinion is that its actually better to go the other way if possible. RDP from the Mac into your Windows machine. MS's Remote Desktop is far and away better than anything else.

In this scenario, I would be doing the development in windows, or am I misunderstanding? In favor of that I would try to get the build env. set up in linux, but that's a huge undertaking

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

FCKGW posted:

They just email you a key dude
I see that now that I ordered a couple things. :doh: I got iStat and WALTR.

Any goon recommendations for apps for a first time Mac owner?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Tugboat Willy posted:

I see that now that I ordered a couple things. :doh: I got iStat and WALTR.

stick to safari

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Tugboat Willy posted:

BetterSnapTool / BetterTouchTool (IIRC Touch has all the Snap features and more now): Customizable window manager (e.g. automatically resize a given window to different sizes/locations/monitors using hotkeys). Also can be set up to resize via "snap areas" (similar to Windows). Also lets you customize the red/yellow/green window buttons (including adding different actions depending on which mouse button you click each with), as well as "double-click" behavior for a windows' title bar. The "Touch" version lets you customize the Touch Bar and trackpad/mouse gestures as well.

KeepingYouAwake: status bar icon that you can click to prevent your computer for going to sleep without having to change your sleep settings (either until unclicked, or for a preset duration).

Keka and/or Unarchiver: for decompressing pretty much any compression format that macOS doesn't handle natively.

Disk Inventory X: Storage visualizer (if you're ever wondering what is taking up all your storage space)

Scroll Reverser: if you use your Mac with both a mouse and a trackpad, this will let you maintain different scroll direction behavior for each (e.g. keep "natural" scroll direction for trackpad while the mouse scroll wheel scrolls in its traditional manner).

Homebrew: command line package manager. Can be useful for installing / updating some of these free / opensource tools (e.g KeepingYouAwake, Disk Inventory X, Keka, Scroll Reverser, etc).

Rocket: allows adding emojis in a slack-like manner (colon + start typing emoji name) in pretty much any app/website. Better than MacOS' built in emojii keyboard (brought up with Command + Control + Spacebar) IMO.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Splinter posted:

BetterSnapTool / BetterTouchTool (IIRC Touch has all the Snap features and more now): Customizable window manager (e.g. automatically resize a given window to different sizes/locations/monitors using hotkeys). Also can be set up to resize via "snap areas" (similar to Windows). Also lets you customize the red/yellow/green window buttons (including adding different actions depending on which mouse button you click each with), as well as "double-click" behavior for a windows' title bar. The "Touch" version lets you customize the Touch Bar and trackpad/mouse gestures as well.

Do you know if either will let you define the size and position of new windows? I want my Finder windows to be the same size every drat no matter how or where I open them, but they rarely are. :(

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I am also a reverted Mac user as of today, the last one I had was the old WhiteBook - loved that thing. I have installed a bunch of stuff, mainly out of fun;

Swish/BetterTouchTools/Rectangle/Tiles/Magnet: These are all replacements for Windows Snap because the built in Mac version only lets you do it with full screen apps (very like metro apps tech). I'm currently using Swish because the trackpad gestures work really well - but it doesn't have keyboard shortcuts which I'm really missing.

File Cabinet: Basically puts a drop down finder window in the menu bar, haven't decided whether I want to pay for this yet

Transmission: Was the best torrent app back then, don't know if it still is

Amphetamine: Forces your Mac to stay awake, can be linked to an app - fx set transmission to close when torrent is complete then amphetamine will let the computer sleep

Vanilla: Will let you organise your menu bar - I'm a little worried by the permissions it asked for.

Helium: I don't even know why I installed this, but it looks cool

Apart from that I installed all the Microsoft stuff, Swift Playgrounds, Spotify, Pocket etc. A lot of these that aren't on the App Store you can install through Brew Cask in terminal.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Homebrew is the poo poo.

I was able to update Acrobat Reader just with a brew cask upgrade.

None of this manually mounting, running installer, double-checking the version bullshit. One line of text does the upgrade and reports the old/new versions.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Violator posted:

Do you know if either will let you define the size and position of new windows? I want my Finder windows to be the same size every drat no matter how or where I open them, but they rarely are. :(

I don't think this is possible out of the box without hitting a re-size keyboard shortcut (though I'm still using BST, not sure if BTT has something for this). However, you might be able to set something like this via BTT triggers or by scripting BTT via JS/AppleScript.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Binary Badger posted:

Homebrew is the poo poo.

None of this manually mounting, running installer, double-checking the version bullshit. One line of text does the upgrade and reports the old/new versions.

Does AR offer much on the mac? I know on Windows it's kind of a default app, but with Preview being pretty powerful (ie letting you write to the file), I've never once considered installing Acrobat.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Splinter posted:

I don't think this is possible out of the box without hitting a re-size keyboard shortcut (though I'm still using BST, not sure if BTT has something for this). However, you might be able to set something like this via BTT triggers or by scripting BTT via JS/AppleScript.

It's easy enough in BTT. You do have to define a snap area first (and I didn't see an option to set just a size, it's size and position), but it worked just fine. (This is an older version, so things might have moved around a bit.)

EL BROMANCE posted:

Does AR offer much on the mac? I know on Windows it's kind of a default app, but with Preview being pretty powerful (ie letting you write to the file), I've never once considered installing Acrobat.

I don't know if it's still an issue, but ages ago I used to run into pdfs that were absolute dogs to use in Preview, but scrolled just fine in Acrobat.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

I only have it to insure compatibility when I annotate PDFs and pass it back / along.

Have had documents edited in Preview tossed back at me with people claiming unknown errors.. but 100% of the time it's people with Windows / Chromebooks / etc. while obeying extension names and all that.

It's not like I keep a Mac SE running System 7.0.1 to deliberately insert PICTs in that nobody can read.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Sri.Theo posted:

I am also a reverted Mac user as of today, the last one I had was the old WhiteBook - loved that thing. I have installed a bunch of stuff, mainly out of fun;

Transmission: Was the best torrent app back then, don't know if it still is

Transmission is very good, though it's not definitively the best torrent app as it was in like 2010 when other Mac clients sucked hard. Folx and qBittorrent are very good torrent clients with advanced features, but I prefer Transmission's UI so I still use it to this day.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I use qbittorrent on Windows so I'll check that out as well.

Also is it just me but they're charging 4 USD for hyper focus in that bundle but the website doesn't tell you the difference between the free version and the paid version?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Violator posted:

Something you could consider is setting up a separate work account on the computer and then using parental controls. You could set time limits and then give your extensions I believe as the administrator. I’m not sure if it would work but something to try maybe.

I think the different account might be useful to keep your browser, bookmarks, Twitter, etc completely separate to help keep them separate in your mind. When you log into that account in the morning you are “clocking in” and when you log out in the afternoon you’re clocking out mentally.
Thank you, that’s a good idea! I will look into it. I didn’t even think about keeping work and private web pages, bookmarks and stuff separated, so that’s definitely a smart move. Now I open and close the same “work tabs” and programs every day, like an idiot.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

MarcusSA posted:

iStat Menus
$6 (was $11.99)

PopChar X
$8 (was $33)

A Better Finder Rename
$11.5 (was $22.95)

Flux 7.0
$7 (was $99.99)

WALTR 2 for Mac
$5 (was $39.95)

Picked up WALTR, looks cool. FYI, AirBuddy only works Mojave+ and doesn't appear to support the 3,1 because it doesn't support BTLE. Glad to have thrown the guy a couple of bucks though as it looks cool and I can use it in the future, maybe.

Somewhat related, to this saga, I got my my BeatsX out and they work just fine on this thing. Idk whats up with the PowerBeats that it wants to puke on them.

Also if you don't have a iStat license, go ahead and do yourself the favor at that price even if you don't consider yourself a power user.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Binary Badger posted:

Homebrew is the poo poo.

Homebrew is old and busted. Join us cool kids over here with MacPorts. :c00lbert:

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

tuyop posted:

Homebrew is old and busted. Join us cool kids over here with MacPorts. :c00lbert:

Isn't MacPorts significantly older than Homebrew?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I'm using OneNote on Mac but I'm having some issues with the default language - apparently it sets each text area to the default keyboard input (Danish in my case) but I want it to be English.

I can reset it manually each time but is there anyway to make it use the system language (English)?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to set up a, like, mirror account on a second MBP. I'd like to have all the same desktop settings and apps like Bartender and stuff on both accounts, but I don't need the whole Applications folder and all the other stuff from my existing user account. Do I just use Migration Assistant and then delete the extra stuff or what? Can I select just settings once the process gets going?

Splinter posted:

Isn't MacPorts significantly older than Homebrew?

Everything old is new again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Homebrew appears to have branched out of MacPorts.

It doesn't have as many formulas as MacPorts but it appears to be the new hotness because they appear to have a slightly better expansion rate and also a lot of commercial Mac programs appear to be available on it; they're also expanding in terms of biological and science formulas.

I'll probably start trying both if I decide to hit the button on a 2020 rMBP / Air, keep homebrew on the newest and maybe wipe the old 2013 with 8 GB RAM cause goons at the time didn't think 16 was worth the exorbitant amount of money Apple was asking.