Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

They had to make a second Lumen because Michael C. Hall would not restrain himself from banging all his co-workers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

God Hole posted:

*old robocop smashes his car into the car of the man he's tailing, giving up his identity to the target, likely bringing two independent insurance companies into the equation to investigate the collision, and causing potentially thousands in damages*

"its an old P.I. trick"

My current custom title was from that, mixed with a then-recent episode of Community where Britta gets Robocop's name wrong.

The Dexter and Sons of Anarchy threads were both fantastic.

BEEF WITH CLAY.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I think with where BCS started in the timeline of both shows Gus had to have his Madrigal connections pretty set up. Kim snagging Mesa Verde as her big client made the most sense for the BCS story, but though it's too cute of a move I still like the sound of her being hired on as part of the Pollos Hermanos legal team, swapping out the new bank branches she worked on with new franchise locations.

Ironically, on the face of it Pollos isn't a big enough company to have really filled in the same story beats that Mesa Verde did, though I guess you could do most of a 1:1 swap. It definitely would have been hilarious if Kim rebelled against Gus strongarming some little guy around in some way, and we that green screen extortion video was played in front of Gus instead of Kevin.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

oh but seriously I posted:

It got poo poo, but in a novel way e.g. The Saga of Quinn's Weird Hair

I think the first two seasons of Dexter were fine, season 4 was also really solid, but the show had a problem, especially later, of doing two things wrong for every thing it did right, and by the end it forgot to occasionally do something right to at least keep the ratio.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I watched sons of anarchy with my eyes mostly closed because of Lasik and it always cracked me up how they snuck up on people while riding balls out with open pipes

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

cock hero flux posted:

it has to start out decent enough for you to actually start watching and enjoy it but not so amazing that you'll be crushed if it becomes bad, and then needs to decline so rapidly that it skips passed boring and mediocre straight into complete trainwreck that you can't look away from

Helix was the best show for this. It starts out promising with the main character going to investigate what is happening at an arctic base, all The Thing-style, then rapidly spins out of control until you watch the characters discuss the base's secret level beneath the sub-basement beneath the actual basement, while everybody is being turned into zombies, or something.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

u brexit ukip it posted:

Helix was the best show for this. It starts out promising with the main character going to investigate what is happening at an arctic base, all The Thing-style, then rapidly spins out of control until you watch the characters discuss the base's secret level beneath the sub-basement beneath the actual basement, while everybody is being turned into zombies, or something.

oh poo poo yeah I remember that show! I got into it for the same reason, major The Thing vibes in the beginning, but then it made a rapid descent into like... soap opera/vampire love triangle territory. had to see a physician for symptoms of whiplash after that

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

u brexit ukip it posted:

Helix is the best so bad it's good show ever.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
This is either wildly off-topic and it doesn't matter because s6 is years away, or it's wildly on topic and spoilers for s6:

Helix sounds like every new fantasy/sci-fi property on TV (and often elsewhere) feels the need to have all of the different weird things happening simultaneously

It's a show about aliens? Well you know the aliens time traveled to fight vampires in King Arthur's gnome infested kingdom, also demons and super advanced robots and superpowers are real.
It's a show about vampires? Time traveling robot clone space vampires you mean, who fight Illuminati werewolves working for an alternate dimension Invisible Man!

So Lalo and Mike are clearly the first two mutants in the Gilliverse, which one will form an alliance with Cyberdracula first?

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

cock hero flux posted:

it has to start out decent enough for you to actually start watching and enjoy it but not so amazing that you'll be crushed if it becomes bad, and then needs to decline so rapidly that it skips passed boring and mediocre straight into complete trainwreck that you can't look away from

House was definitely like this, it leaned full-on into its most ridiculous and self-indulgent aspects in those last couple seasons, as though the writers just went "okay there is no loving possible scenario in which this guy hasn't had his medical license revoked a dozen times so lets just make the leap into crazyland"

those later seasons weren't exactly good but I still watched 'em

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

JAMOOOL posted:

House was definitely like this, it leaned full-on into its most ridiculous and self-indulgent aspects in those last couple seasons, as though the writers just went "okay there is no loving possible scenario in which this guy hasn't had his medical license revoked a dozen times so lets just make the leap into crazyland"

those later seasons weren't exactly good but I still watched 'em

I feel similarly about House and will add that Hugh Laurie carried the whole drat thing on his shoulders the entire time. We probably wouldn't have gotten those weird rear end later seasons if he wasn't involved and it probably would have been shitcanned a lot earlier with a different lead actor.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

The best part was that the actors for Dexter and Debra were brother and sister on the show (but not really) and they got married in real life, then got divorced in real life, and then started dating on the show.

I'll admit with no small amount of pride to having only skimmed the last few seasons, but I don't remember seeing anything about them becoming romantically involved. I guess if that show got one thing right it was calling the whole step-sister/brother thing years before the rest of us caught on.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There was a whole arc where Debra discovers that she's in love with her brother (complete with a therapist saying "he's actually your step-brother, so there is nothing wrong with that"), but Dexter shuts her down hard when she finally tells him.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Also, let's not forget about the lizard brain discussion.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

That 50 percent off cold open this season whipped rear end. It's the new walt and flynn dubstep cars sequence

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Last Chance posted:

I feel similarly about House and will add that Hugh Laurie carried the whole drat thing on his shoulders the entire time. We probably wouldn't have gotten those weird rear end later seasons if he wasn't involved and it probably would have been shitcanned a lot earlier with a different lead actor.
I also liked the back and forth between him and Wilson, even as a lot of the main cast people around House left the show

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, let's not forget about the lizard brain discussion.

I never heard that phrase before Dexter and then I started hearing it all the time.

Unrelated but I've been rewatching Breaking Bad (so here are some random thoughts), this morning I finished season 1 and I feel like the characters in the show were handled very well from the beginning in hindsight, but thinking about how Saul was shown to be skeevy towards women and that that's hard to reconcile with the Jimmy we know from BCS, I kinda feel like there were a few edges the show hadn't quite filed down early, because despite Hank being married and faithful I feel like you could make an entire montage of every time he is a gross womanizer in the first season, by the end of the show I don't feel like that was really a trait for him anymore.

The bell got a backstory, so maybe the final season will also give us a backstory for Tuco's grill.

I stand corrected in that awhile ago I said I expected BCS to show restraint just having the Los Pollos catch fire or show some smoke, but BB S1 reminded me that Walt also does a walking away from an explosion when he decides to blow up some guy's car.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Nep-Nep posted:

because despite Hank being married and faithful I feel like you could make an entire montage of every time he is a gross womanizer in the first season, by the end of the show I don't feel like that was really a trait for him anymore

There's an extra scene from Hank's wedding where he has cold feet and confesses to Walt that he'd just been blown at a gay bar the night before.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Now that I think about it both Jesse and Walt are shown to have slightly unreliable perspectives in the first season, with Jesse seeing two evangelists at his house as two tough guys with weapons and Walt hearing one of his students ask him about murder. It never comes up that I can recall later in the show but it makes me like the theory that some of Saul's whole thing is just their perception. I don't think that's what anyone is going for but if down the road they wanted to play that card I could accept it.

edit: Like don't make it part of BCS but if they said it an interview that'd be fine

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
When I rewatched BB it felt like starting with the first episode of season 2 it became the show I had remembered. Season 1 is great, but the tone of it feels off. The supporting cast is painted a bit too broadly and it's wackier. For want of a better term it feels like the version of the show pitched to USA. There are odd scenes that are completely on-tone--basically everything involving the dealers in the basement in vintage BB--but on the whole it's not quite fully baked yet. Few show are, but it makes the scenes that nail the tone of later seasons stand out even more.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Nep-Nep posted:

I never heard that phrase before Dexter and then I started hearing it all the time.

Unrelated but I've been rewatching Breaking Bad (so here are some random thoughts), this morning I finished season 1 and I feel like the characters in the show were handled very well from the beginning in hindsight, but thinking about how Saul was shown to be skeevy towards women and that that's hard to reconcile with the Jimmy we know from BCS, I kinda feel like there were a few edges the show hadn't quite filed down early, because despite Hank being married and faithful I feel like you could make an entire montage of every time he is a gross womanizer in the first season, by the end of the show I don't feel like that was really a trait for him anymore.

The bell got a backstory, so maybe the final season will also give us a backstory for Tuco's grill.

I stand corrected in that awhile ago I said I expected BCS to show restraint just having the Los Pollos catch fire or show some smoke, but BB S1 reminded me that Walt also does a walking away from an explosion when he decides to blow up some guy's car.

There's some interview where they state they had intended for Saul to be a lot darker and scummier before working out his character, so it makes sense that he wasn't fully fleshed out at the start. Hank's cameo also had him closer to his late-BB self, and I don't think it was making any grand statements about his person beyond that being the character they landed on after feeling him out for a season or two.

I'm fine with Saul just never becoming a sex pest and no one bothering to address it, though my view of the BB family was always that they were kind of mediocre suburbanites with boring lives and lovely personalities, who rose to the occasion and grew up as they had to come to terms with how much of a garbage person Walt was.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

BCS thread: Those hired killers were so incompetent it broke the suspension of disbelief.

Real life:

https://twitter.com/AliceAvizandum/status/1257786917552377856

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

keep in mind that everything from BCS to BB takes place from like 2002 to 2009. jon stewart was openly mocking trans people on the daily show at the time and "f*g" and "r*tard" were every other word out of peoples' mouths. a lot's changed in 15 years. what we consider verboten now was just kinda in bad taste back then, especially for a lawyer who has been fully immersed in the criminal underbelly of the city for years

does that make late-stage saul a little harder to relate to? absolutely. will they address that particular behavior in gene's eventual redemption arc? probably not.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm fine with Saul just never becoming a sex pest and no one bothering to address it, though my view of the BB family was always that they were kind of mediocre suburbanites with boring lives and lovely personalities, who rose to the occasion and grew up as they had to come to terms with how much of a garbage person Walt was.

On rewatch it's pretty clear early on that Walt wasn't a good guy who developed into garbage but had a gigantic pile of trash inside him all along just waiting for an excuse to pop out, the show really impresses me in that sense and I'm glad I decided to go through it again. And yeah it's pretty clear that the family overall was exactly as you described as early there was a whole thing with them thinking his son had tried marijuana and acting like it was the end of the world.

edit: I'm up to season 3 in my rewatch of BB now, first episode done. This show is mostly great but god the scenes with the cousins in this episode are so stupid, particularly that last one which is yet another instance of characters dramatically walking away from explosions, in this case having just committed a bunch of murders to cover up someone recognizing their shoes, because the first thing a bunch of scared illegal immigrants will do is go talk to the police to report that... maybe someone is a criminal with absolutely no evidence. Also they are very clearly out in the middle of nowhere and have no water or supplies, which I guess is dangerous if you are Walt, Jesse, Mike, Jimmy, or anyone but the cousins.

Nep-Nep fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 10, 2020

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Rochallor posted:

When I rewatched BB it felt like starting with the first episode of season 2 it became the show I had remembered. Season 1 is great, but the tone of it feels off. The supporting cast is painted a bit too broadly and it's wackier. For want of a better term it feels like the version of the show pitched to USA. There are odd scenes that are completely on-tone--basically everything involving the dealers in the basement in vintage BB--but on the whole it's not quite fully baked yet. Few show are, but it makes the scenes that nail the tone of later seasons stand out even more.
I wonder whether that trait is a function of shows wanting to get renewed early, and there being a load of energy involved, so the brushstrokes are broader. I mean it's hard to imagine BCS having anything like the novelistic density to it, or potentially even making it out of pilot, if it didn't have the goodwill from BB to make it almost a given that it'll get picked up for as many seasons as they want to make.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Rochallor posted:

IIRC it was also proposed to HBO. I'm always curious how different Breaking BAd would have been on HBO

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They probably would've prematurely canceled it like they did Deadwood the cocksuckers.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Groovelord Neato posted:

They probably would've prematurely canceled it like they did Deadwood the cocksuckers.

HBO cock sucka

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I thought Deadwood dragged by the end. Cancelling Rome after season 2 was a travesty though.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i'm still pissed enlightened got cancelled!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I thought Deadwood dragged by the end. Cancelling Rome after season 2 was a travesty though.

It was set up for a huge confrontation. But the second part is correct.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Rome season 2-? If it weren’t cancelled would be so interesting. Season 2 I still remember fondly but I know it’s a bit messy due to what happened and them rushing through. I don’t know how true but I remember them talking about plans for season 3 or 4 or the often rumoured movie that they would have the two of them go to the Roman province of Judah or Israel or whatever is was called then and meet Jesus- amazing

In terms of BB I’m rewatching it with my wife who never saw it and we just finished season 1. It’s fun but definitely has a feel that is different to what I remember. Hank in particular is just a one note character. Walks into a room, makes some joke about wanting to gently caress shania Twain and walks out. Dear lord. There is also more swearing than I remember.

I do wonder about an HBO breaking bad. Would they have mandated more “edgy” content? There’s a topless woman in episode one when you see Jessie bail out of the DEA raid but I don’t remember any nudity for the rest of the series. Likewise I don’t remember that much swearing (already admitting I may be misremembering there though).

I thought at the time it hit the right balance. Game of thrones is the poster child for forced edginess in terms of having completely normal scenes but throwing an orgy in there for no real reason. On the flip side sopranos got it largely right and most of the violence, nudity and swearing felt pretty earnt and natural in the scenes they were in.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
One thing I really love about BB and BCS is their tremendous use of act breaks (haven't seen an actual commercial between 'em since maybe 2012 though). It's one of both shows' signature stylistic elements and I'd be loath to trade them for, I dunno, forcing Krysten Ritter to do a topless scene before she chokes on her own vomit. Beyond that, AMC has been pretty free-wheeling with both episode lengths and, especially towards the end of BB, letting them drop the F-bomb. Violence and gore certainly hasn't been an issue.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Agreed. I think being forced to work around FCC limitations has probably resulted in some more creative writing than if they'd always been able to just throw some tits on screen to make a scene more interesting.

teacup posted:

I do wonder about an HBO breaking bad. Would they have mandated more “edgy” content? There’s a topless woman in episode one when you see Jessie bail out of the DEA raid but I don’t remember any nudity for the rest of the series. Likewise I don’t remember that much swearing (already admitting I may be misremembering there though).

There's an interview somewhere with Vince where he talks about that, and says the main reason for including things like more swearing and boobs was because they were specifically shopping the show around to cable networks like HBO and Showtime, they didn't have 'basic' TV in mind at the time. Once they got picked up by AMC they had to work around that stuff a lot more, though as the show grew more popular they did get slightly more leeway.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I thought they were allowed one 'gently caress' per season, but didn't S5 of BCS get two?

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I thought they were allowed one 'gently caress' per season, but didn't S5 of BCS get two?

i think we got one every other episode this season

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
They went too far changing the title to Better gently caress Saul for the finale

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

this season not only had the most fucks of anything in the Gilligverse but also had the most nudity, by having a shot of odenkirk's rear end every other episode as well

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There actually aren't any FCC guidelines for cable because the show travels to your house over a privately owned cable and they can put whatever they want on it. AMC could show you titties and say gently caress every five seconds,but they choose not to. They just don't want to upset fragile moms who will start letter writing campaigns to Xfinity or whoever. Things started getting a bit lax after South Park did that episode where they said poo poo 160 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Ah good point, it's not actually FCC rules but advertiser standards that they have to rule-lawyer around. Also I thought 'It Hits the Fan' was a reaction to 'poo poo' being delisted as a capital C curse word by the FCC, not something that contributed to it being delisted?

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

this season not only had the most fucks of anything in the Gilligverse but also had the most nudity, by having a shot of odenkirk's rear end every other episode as well

I knew I shouldn't have used this monkey's paw to wish for more hot rear end action from BCS lead actors. Man, why did I phrase it so vaguely? I feel like this is partially my own fault...

Some of it is probably due to pearl-clutching olds retiring/dying off and being replaced by slightly younger people who don't get the vapors quite as bad when they hear naughty words on TV.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 14, 2020