Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Mac Mac Lung is a totally real name and not from a Japanese baseball game ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
L O loving L

https://twitter.com/NEblessed_20/status/1260971079830515713

Michigan had a pretty good offensive system that got guys open perimeter shots, they just had trouble hitting them. So they bring in Nojel Eastern.

PotatoJudge fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 14, 2020

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
extremely rude transfer

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They can replace Xavier Simpson with Xavier Simpson, But Tall

sportsgenius86 posted:

Mac McClung is transferring from Georgetown. Apparently he hadn’t made a decision yet when Ewing announced on the radio that he was coming back and it confused a bunch of NBA teams that Mac was still planning to meet with.

This is especially funny because he was extremely unlikely to actually stay in the draft, so Ewing hosed himself over for no reason at all

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 14, 2020

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

PotatoJudge posted:

L O loving L

https://twitter.com/NEblessed_20/status/1260971079830515713

Michigan had a pretty good offensive system that got guys open perimeter shots, they just had trouble hitting them. So they bring in Nojel Eastern.

Michigan has like 45 open spots after this upcoming year. Eastern needs to sit this year due to transfer rules (at this point in time), but bringing in an upperclassman who plays good defense on a super young team isn't really a bad thing.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Patrick Ewing has COVID.
https://twitter.com/CoachEwing33/status/1263964626271776769?s=20

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Completely unrelated, but I've got a friend who's dad is bourbon distillery rich and took four of us around the Bahamas on his three cabin boat for a couple weeks. When we were in Atlantis for a couple of days, so was Patrick Ewing and family. He's got a gently caress off huge, like 140 foot mega yacht.

Anyway that's my Patrick Ewing story.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The sad part is that if he hadn't announced it the people around Ewing would have seen him sweating a shitload due to the fever but thought it was just another normal day for him.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Eddie Sutton has died at 84.

I have no real thoughts here other than I'm amazed he made it this long.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Bummer, had a hell of a career. As a Kansas fan he was always one of my favorite Big 8/12 coaches. Also taught Bill Self a ton.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
On this memorial day please join me in honoring a truly heroic act: that time Tyrus Thomas, looking like you put an extremely athletic alien on the court without totally explaining the rules of basketball to him, completely erased the most hatable Duke team of all time from existence. The box score shows 5 blocks but that's horseshit because he has at least 15 on Sheldon Williams alone

https://twitter.com/cs_mcgowan/status/1264980550202335233?s=19

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 25, 2020

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

MourningView posted:

On this memorial day please join me in honoring a truly heroic act: that time Tyrus Thomas, looking like you put an extremely athletic alien on the court without totally explaining the rules of basketball to him, completely erased the most hatable Duke team of all time from existence. The box score shows 5 blocks but that's horseshit because he has at least 15 on Sheldon Williams alone

https://twitter.com/cs_mcgowan/status/1264980550202335233?s=19

i totally forgot that JJ Redick and Jon Scheyer's times at Duke did not overlap. if they had been on the same team now that would have been the most hatable Duke team ever.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Mentioning Greg Paulus and JJ Redick in the same sentence is a disgrace

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Is Paulus the one who played QB?

He looked like a punchable Duke player. JJ Redick was and is cool

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

Is Paulus the one who played QB?

He looked like a punchable Duke player. JJ Redick was and is cool

Yeah. He was like the top QB prospect in the country and went to Duke to play basketball instead but was kinda butt so later he tried football again at Syracuse and was somehow even worse at that.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/DickieV/status/1266979709021237248?s=19

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Howling

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Brandon Williams is probably out at Arizona. Thought is that he is going to go pro if can play next year (like maybe Gleague or overseas). I hope his knee gets better he had a lot of potential.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1268936357856129025?s=19

Gotta think Cunningham is gonna be out after this, though not sure if it'd be for another school or for the G-League. He's a better prospect than Green and reportedly had a comparable offer on the table that he turned down.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 5, 2020

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Eat the ban while Corona eats the season

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Probably not great for Arizona or the other schools involved in that. Did Oklahoma St. cooperate?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Rick posted:

Probably not great for Arizona or the other schools involved in that. Did Oklahoma St. cooperate?

Yes which is why you never cooperate anymore

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

Yes which is why you never cooperate anymore

Maybe we will survive then. What are they going to do, vacate Sean Miller's championships? lol.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Seth Towns owns bones.

Get arrested protesting police brutality the day after graduating from Harvard.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Had a dream the NCAA came back for one last hurrah similar to how the NBA is doing but just with the Sweet Sixteen onward, which excited me because Kansas tends to get their rear end kicked by some mid-major who exploits their bad perimeter defenses but they do pretty well against marquis teams as shown by their early year schedule so I thought they'd have a decent chance. Also got pretty jazzed that they were paired up against Kentucky in the first round, but even in my dream, I was still skittish because on the other end of the tourney was a tough LSU team with some player named Lethieurre Gutierres that the Draft Thread was endlessly drooling over because he was like Ben Simmons but better. Then I remember posting about the dream on here and getting dunked on by Declan MacManus because I phrased it in a weird way that seemed like I'd be for venture capital college ball even though that wasn't what I meant. Happy Tuesday.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Jonathan Kuminga reclassified (probably to go to the G-league but he hasn't said yet) so the consensus number one high school prospect in the 2021 class is now a 180 pound white guy named Chet.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

MourningView posted:

Jonathan Kuminga reclassified (probably to go to the G-league but he hasn't said yet) so the consensus number one high school prospect in the 2021 class is now a 180 pound white guy named Chet.

A 7-foot, 180-pound white guy named Chet.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

Honestly believe it's either g-league or Texas Tech for Kuminga. g-league is offering him more money and probably exposure than Duke/Auburn. So it's either a chance to play with his half-brother or go get some cash.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm not sure about the exposure part since I think the g-league games are on twitch and last I recall didn't do all that great there in terms of numbers, but other than that I think it's a no brainer to jump at those contracts.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

I'm not sure about the exposure part since I think the g-league games are on twitch and last I recall didn't do all that great there in terms of numbers, but other than that I think it's a no brainer to jump at those contracts.

I would guess some of the select team games wind up on one of the ESPNs or at least NBA TV so they can use it to hype up their draft coverage, but yeah it's definitely not the same as going to Duke or somewhere like that where you're on TV constantly. But plenty of guys got famous coming straight out of high school back in the day so I don't think it's a huge deal if you're actually a tippy top tier prospect like Kuminga. The shoe companies and stuff already know who those guys are and have been recruiting them for years.

Zion-who is probably the ultimate example of a one and done guy who got a huge boost from playing college-being so fresh in everyone's memory probably skews just how valuable it is for the very top prospects relative to just getting paid, especially if you're going to get something like the Jalen Green deal, which Kuminga will.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 11, 2020

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Some NBA media guy predicted Zion would win four MVPs in his career.

He's not even going to get rookie of the year.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

kiimo posted:

Giannis might win four and he didn't get rookie of the year, either.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Maybe, it's still a really bold prediction because that does not happen often at all.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

kiimo posted:

Maybe, it's still a really bold prediction because that does not happen often at all.

Considering that only five players have ever won four or more (Kareem, Russell, Jordan, Wilt, and LeBron), yeah, it's bold. Side note: of those five, only Russell didn't win RotY.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

kiimo posted:

He’s played less than 20 games, who loving cares if he doesn’t win ROY? Anyone with eyes can see he’s the best player in the class.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah if your takeaway from Zion's rookie year is that he was overrated I don't know what you were watching. He was immediately one of the best offensive players in the league as a 19 year old who was playing himself into shape and had no loving clue what he was doing. He's going to be an MVP level player for a long time if he's even remotely healthy.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
And he might be the beginning of the end for Krzyzewski, which is also cool and good.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
The Idaho legislature is too transphobic even for the NCAA, so Boise is losing next year's first and second round NCAAT games:
https://twitter.com/TheChrisMosier/status/1272589559017201665?s=20

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Nojel Eastern didn't get into Michigan, according to him many of his credits weren't transferable because of his major

https://twitter.com/NEblessed_20/status/1273350468828303361

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
The resident ‘insider’ on Michigan’s 247 board said like only 49 of his 92 credits would transfer due to the issue with the major.

He apparently was willing to sit the year as well, Howard and UM President were trying to make it work but couldn’t. Too bad, he would have been a huge addition to the team.