Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

C-Euro posted:

Hmmm, I added an A record named @ for each of the four IP addresses listed by GitHub and gave them 1 hour TTLs, while deleting any other A record named @. That was over an hour ago and attempting to load the site says that its server IP address can't be found. On the Settings page for the repository holding the site's code, I'm also seeing "Domain's DNS record could not be retrieved". Do I need to add or remove other DNS records, or does the TTL not actually indicate how long it takes such changes to go into effect?

It sounds like you followed the right steps. The domain is either not configured properly, or you have old records cached from before the TTL. Try looking up the DNS records through e.g. https://mxtoolbox.com/.

Sorry for the trouble. There are a lot of gotchas there including misplaced periods which end up ruining everything. Some editors need a period at the end of the IP, some don't. While you're testing, set the TTL to a short time limit such as 60-300 seconds, so you don't need to wait as long between changes.

If you don't want to share more details I reiterate that you can PM me and we can probably solve this quickly once I can debug from my end as well.

xtal fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Well I went upstairs to take a shower, came back down and now the site does load at her purchased domain name :confuoot: Still getting that same error in the repository's settings that the domain's DNS record couldn't be retrieved though. There were a couple of CNAME entries I added to the host's DNS records before I realized those were the wrong type, which I did delete before I stepped away. Maybe that was the difference?

https://www.[companyname].com does automatically redirect to the purchased [companyname].com though, I'm not sure if I set that up without knowing or if it was automated somewhere along the way. I'm not entirely sure what I did with all of this but it works, thanks a bunch for your help xtal!

...and now she wants an About page to link from the main landing page :negative: But that's "a weekend project". Gonna force her to give me really clear direction on what she wants before I start figuring out how to make it.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 7, 2020

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

C-Euro posted:

Well I went upstairs to take a shower, came back down and now the site does load at her purchased domain name :confuoot: Still getting that same error in the repository's settings that the domain's DNS record couldn't be retrieved though. There were a couple of CNAME entries I added to the host's DNS records before I realized those were the wrong type, which I did delete before I stepped away. Maybe that was the difference?

https://www.[companyname].com does automatically redirect to the purchased [companyname].com though, I'm not sure if I set that up without knowing or if it was automated somewhere along the way. I'm not entirely sure what I did with all of this but it works, thanks a bunch for your help xtal!

...and now she wants an About page to link from the main landing page :negative: But that's "a weekend project". Gonna force her to give me really clear direction on what she wants before I start figuring out how to make it.

When you go to the repository settings, that is going to abide by the same TTL and caching rules as your browser, so it may take just as long and behave as unpredictably.

Once you get to the point where you have multiple pages, you may be interested in converting this site to use Jekyll, which has first-class support from GitHub. You would need to change your HTML files to be templates, and then write the contents of your index/about/etc pages as Markdown. The Markdown will be automatically turned in to HTML, inserted into the template and shown on the page. This makes it pretty easy to edit for laypeople as well.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

xtal posted:

When you go to the repository settings, that is going to abide by the same TTL and caching rules as your browser, so it may take just as long and behave as unpredictably.

Once you get to the point where you have multiple pages, you may be interested in converting this site to use Jekyll, which has first-class support from GitHub. You would need to change your HTML files to be templates, and then write the contents of your index/about/etc pages as Markdown. The Markdown will be automatically turned in to HTML, inserted into the template and shown on the page. This makes it pretty easy to edit for laypeople as well.

Thanks, I think her plan is to just have this landing/sales page that then links visitors to her store and calendar which are hosted elsewhere. She has asked me to put together an About page with this same style though, which I assume would have to be set up within a separate GitHub repository?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
No, separate html file in the same repository

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Rufus Ping posted:

No, separate html file in the same repository

Oh nice. Finally, something easy :v:

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!
Heard a rumor GoDaddy is dropping email support on some(all) hosting plans in favor of selling O365 instead.
Anybody a GoDaddy customer and get an email you want to share with the group?

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

DarkLotus posted:

Heard a rumor GoDaddy is dropping email support on some(all) hosting plans in favor of selling O365 instead.
Anybody a GoDaddy customer and get an email you want to share with the group?

I dont think anyone will respond due to the shame of being a godaddy customer.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

RoboBoogie posted:

I dont think anyone will respond due to the shame of being a godaddy customer.

LOL, maybe so. I thought it was worth asking :)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We have domains from them but I haven't heard anything about email

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Oh hey looks like all of bluehosts email servers are down right now. Real fun.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

BonoMan posted:

Oh hey looks like all of bluehosts email servers are down right now. Real fun.

Ugh, that’s the worst.

Dreamhost’s email servers go down all the time too. I don’t know why hosting providers email systems are always terrible, I’ve never found any to be reliable. If a client wants us to handle email for them we just tell them to pay for G Suite and be done with it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

frogbs posted:

Ugh, that’s the worst.

Dreamhost’s email servers go down all the time too. I don’t know why hosting providers email systems are always terrible, I’ve never found any to be reliable. If a client wants us to handle email for them we just tell them to pay for G Suite and be done with it.

Yeah I've set up a lot of lateral businesses for this client and they're all setup with G Suite. This lone, original site of theirs is still on Bluehost and god it's scrap.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

frogbs posted:

Ugh, that’s the worst.

You're comparing a purpose built distributed email system at scale and a half-assed install of exim to tick a box so users can get their 2 emails a day, both of which are spam.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Biowarfare posted:

You're comparing a purpose built distributed email system at scale and a half-assed install of exim to tick a box so users can get their 2 emails a day, both of which are spam.

Bazinga, I love it when people compare O365 or Gmail to Exim or Postfix.

Also, FYI, ApisCP uses Postfix which in my experience is far superior to cPanel and exim.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I read the suggestions at the beginning of the thread but need a little help. I'm after a small amount of web space. Just to host my lovely ancient website and a few small pictures and programs. My site currently resides on the server of an ISP that I am no longer with. My current provider doesn't offer web space.

What's good for my crusty old low traffic website?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

General_Failure posted:

I read the suggestions at the beginning of the thread but need a little help. I'm after a small amount of web space. Just to host my lovely ancient website and a few small pictures and programs. My site currently resides on the server of an ISP that I am no longer with. My current provider doesn't offer web space.

What's good for my crusty old low traffic website?

Is it static? If so, Github pages for sure, read the earlier posts in this thread about it. Or gitlab has a similar feature. This will be free.

If you need to host WordPress or rails or something, I suggest digital ocean, vultr or prgrmr.com. DO is the most popular, Vultr is the cheapest, prgmr is the most cost effective. This will cost between 2.5 and 5 dollars a month.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

xtal posted:

Is it static? If so, Github pages for sure, read the earlier posts in this thread about it. Or gitlab has a similar feature. This will be free.
It's static.
Isn't that more for a front end for a user's github projects?

quote:

If you need to host WordPress or rails or something, I suggest digital ocean, vultr or prgrmr.com. DO is the most popular, Vultr is the cheapest, prgmr is the most cost effective. This will cost between 2.5 and 5 dollars a month.

Yeah I don't need any serverside functionality besides storage.

The thing that prompted me to ask is today I have various bits and pieces that don't really belong anywhere besides an oldschool web page.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You can make a private Github or (I strongly prefer this) gitlab repo that hosts static files for free, with custom domains, automatic ssl, etc. It's more like static file hosting with git instead of ftp. Only the marketing suggests it be used for software projects.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You'll only run in to issues with Github pages when you are hosting files in the hundreds of megabytes, due to the limitations of git vs ftp. It would be a poor choice for audio or video, but HTML and images, go for it.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Apparently I replied but didn't post it.

While I have a few things on github, most of my things are on gitlab. I don't really have any media. Just some documents, some miscellanea like ROMs ripped from a mysterious old Apple floppy controller, and some libraries and ports of things.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone here using Office/Microsoft 365 Family? It says up to 6 persons can use it. It also mentions a personalized email address. What does that mean? One for the subscription, or one per person (up to 6) using that subscription? They're sure being as vague as can be about this. I'm looking to migrate away from GApps Gmail, and I have multiple email addresses on the domain. I figured I'd use aliases, but they don't even allow these on O365 Personal/Family.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Okay so my fiancee is starting a screen printing business and initially just needs a relatively simple site that will provide business information and examples of previous jobs/designs. She already has a domain registered but that's it so far and none of us know a drat thing about web design or hosting.

We need a one stop shop that will allow us to design a webpage and let them handle the rest for the most part. We'll be starting out very basic but want the ability to scale up with the service if we ever end up needing more advanced site tools/plugins/whatever as well as e-commerce if we expand beyond local poo poo.

Any recommendations besides Wordpress or are they pretty much the best place for this situation?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
squarespace probably, i would not self host wordpress or any cart-related wordpress stuff if both of you have absolutely no clue about it or you're going to end up either magecarted or compromised and sending spam

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Black Sunshine posted:

Okay so my fiancee is starting a screen printing business and initially just needs a relatively simple site that will provide business information and examples of previous jobs/designs. She already has a domain registered but that's it so far and none of us know a drat thing about web design or hosting.

We need a one stop shop that will allow us to design a webpage and let them handle the rest for the most part. We'll be starting out very basic but want the ability to scale up with the service if we ever end up needing more advanced site tools/plugins/whatever as well as e-commerce if we expand beyond local poo poo.

Any recommendations besides Wordpress or are they pretty much the best place for this situation?

You should not code or host an ecommerce + marketing site. I build web app daily and for your use case even I wouldn't bother. I'd simply compare the following places to see which one best fit my needs: Webflow, Shopify, Squarespace, Wix, Weebly

I'd likely not touch or consider Wordpress.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I have been using a @gmail.com address since it was an invite-only beta for all my personal stuff, but I'm beginning to feel like maybe it's a good idea to take steps to take control and since I recently got a really good domain and have a website pretty close to where I want it, to do a full on changeover to a custom email to have more independence and also because the @gmail.com is so easily guessable that I get, like, other people's bank statements who share my name.

I have a legacy Free GSuite account for another domain I own, that I use for my business-y stuff, but it's a much less cool domain and apparently you can't change the domain on legacy free accounts.

I currently use Spark as my mail client on macOS and iOS, and I'm pretty happy with it. Ideally I'd like something with EAS so I get them emails really fast.

So I've been looking into my options. It looks like they're:
  • GSuite, again, for money. I don't need all the non-email gubbins though and I kind of feel like a good part of this exercise is some healthy distance from Google
  • Microsoft 365 for basically the same as GSuite costs. Same as with GSuite, I do not need an Office suite. Feel weird giving money to Microsoft for approximately the same reasons as Google, but on top of that they're literally a buncha squares. Outlook.com has come a long way though, although I hate the ribbon poo poo so much on their desktop apps.
  • Stuff like Protonmail, which has a bunch of privacy stuff but you have to use their app
  • Stuff like Fastmail, which is priced well, aims at doing personal email, and has a great track record but is very light on the feature set, including no EAS

I've tried hey.com and while I really dig the workflows and the general vibe it seems very underbaked, so I'm not going to wait for them to launch their custom domain support.

Would love some insight here. I have friends in the IT support biz who swear by 365 but I dunno, Microsoft? And pretty much every business I interact with uses GSuites, but I dunno, Google?

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Zoho is an option with a free tier and they seem to have EAS support, although I’m not clear on whether that’s available without paying.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
When I feel like messing with my email again I'm planning to move to Migadu.com

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

chaosbreather posted:

I have a legacy Free GSuite account for another domain I own, that I use for my business-y stuff, but it's a much less cool domain and apparently you can't change the domain on legacy free accounts.

I have one aswell, and while you cant change the domain, I /think/ you can add another as an alias or subdomain or something along though lines. Could be an option?

e: I didnt click through it to see if it works, but just looked at my admin panel and the option is definitely still there "Add a domain alias Automatically create an alias for every user in the primary domain, giving them an alternate email address at a domain name you own."

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 2, 2020

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Popping in here for the first time to say: Wordpress sucks!

Checked my dad's site for the first time in a year … it was not mobile responsive.
Now I'm migrating all my dad's neglected domains to IONOS and will use their integrated website templates.
https://www.websitetooltester.com/en/reviews/1and1-mywebsite-review/

There was one Wordpress site that some designer made and I don't know how but all the text on index.html is embedded inside layout blocks and I can't edit it. It broke completely after transfer but customer service unfucked it somehow. I am eager to replace it with something functional and professional.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Wordpress has absolutely nothing to do with that, and IONOS as a host is legendarily even worse (1and1 rebrand)

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Agreed, not a Wordpress issue and avoid any EIG brand or 1and1, they're all terrible!

Also, Wordpress is fantastic if you don't use lovely plugins and themes that cause it to be slow and vulnerable to exploits.
Look for good hosting, arguably any host that uses ApisCP under the hood will be much more secure than ANY cPanel based host.
Lithium Hosting and Hostineer fit that description :q:

I personally use Wordpress on a handful of websites, they work amazingly well and have never once had a security issue. I also keep them updated, secure the wp-content folder and don't use lovely plugins.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Also, the site you linked is an affiliate scheme """"review"""" site.

The "big brands" (EIG, 1&1, etc) pay the most commission per sale. It really isn't Wordpress's fault, you can pick a template that is mobile or not, you can secure it or not, the problem is that it's on you to keep it updated now if you're using a traditional shared host.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved
Remember, all hosts have similar operating costs. The difference in what they charge you and what they pay out to affiliates is what they have left over to pay their employees and invest back into their business.

Affiliate-heavy companies charging attractive prices are either going to make up the money by nickel and diming you or they’ll run a skeleton crew that cannot support you nor their infrastructure.

Also 1&1 is notorious about forwarding bills off to collections.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Well, heck! I'll keep that in mind the next time I'm migrating hosts.
"lovely plugins and themes" sounds exactly right. x___x

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

MeKeV posted:

I have one aswell, and while you cant change the domain, I /think/ you can add another as an alias or subdomain or something along though lines. Could be an option?

e: I didnt click through it to see if it works, but just looked at my admin panel and the option is definitely still there "Add a domain alias Automatically create an alias for every user in the primary domain, giving them an alternate email address at a domain name you own."

Yeah I figured this one out. For anyone else in this predicament the real secret here is you can add an email alias right into gmail, and then set that as the default. The only bummer is that the google account stays as the old domain but once you have the default email set, no-one will even know and it will totally feel like that's the real email address. I set it up that way in Spark and everything was great. Then I went hog-wild, changing every single internet account (~1200!) over to the new one. It took some time but it feels very fresh now. Now if I want to change to something else, maybe Fastmail, or maybe Hey if it gets good at some point, then its very easy for me to change now.

NuclearEagleFox!!!
Oct 7, 2011
Can anyone recommend an eco-friendly VPS? Are there any that are actually carbon-neutral, as opposed to just carbon-offset?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

NuclearEagleFox!!! posted:

Can anyone recommend an eco-friendly VPS? Are there any that are actually carbon-neutral, as opposed to just carbon-offset?

Do you care about location? The "real" non-PR-bullshit eco friendly ones may not be near you due to for example electricity generation.

1984.is is $5/m and is all renewable energy and geothermal. It's in Iceland. They're great, and also embrace F/OSS significantly.

NuclearEagleFox!!!
Oct 7, 2011

Biowarfare posted:

Do you care about location? The "real" non-PR-bullshit eco friendly ones may not be near you due to for example electricity generation.

1984.is is $5/m and is all renewable energy and geothermal. It's in Iceland. They're great, and also embrace F/OSS significantly.

I don't really know, what are the downsides to a foreign host? I'm in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

NuclearEagleFox!!! posted:

I don't really know, what are the downsides to a foreign host? I'm in the US.

Latency, laws, payment methods (and your card being flagged or suspended), etc.