Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

CoolRanch posted:

I feel justified making GBS threads on the pixel 3a and 4 line after all these reports. They are middling phones, and stock Android doesnt hold the same performance upgrades they used to.

At least one of those have a middling pricetag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I thought about doing the same recently because I had a spare iPhone 8 but I had to use my work iPad for more than 1 minute and remembered how poo poo and frustrating the UI is to use. I also read they don't even let you pick default apps also and decided it wasn't worth the hassle of switching.

You can pick some default apps but not all, like with Android. I've been using an iPhone for work for years and though I am used to the UI, I do not prefer it.

I think I'll end up with a 4a this year, but if my phone doesn't die before the 5 is out I'm curious to see how they compare.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

CoolRanch posted:

stock Android doesnt hold the same performance upgrades they used to.

while this is mostly true, the pixel phones don't ship with "stock" android at this point.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Considering opting for the regular OP8 instead of the OP8P. I don't really care about having the best camera (as long as it's passable), wireless charging, or 120 Hz, it seems like a reasonable alternative if everything else is basically the same and I can save $200-$300 for a similar experience. According to some battery tests it looks like the OP8 regularly gets about an hour or so more battery life than the OP8P surprisingly and even though the unlocked versions of the OP8 don't technically have an IP68 rating, the carrier versions do for some reason. Am I correct in assuming both versions are basically identical physically and that T-Mobile/Verizon just anted up for the IP68 testing that OP didn't want to do?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Save money and buy a 7T instead. Better camera too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Verizon version is actually physically unique. They had to move the buttons around to allow for the mmwave antennas and it's incompatible with all the other Oneplus 8 cases.

But yeah, get the 7T for cheaper if you can.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if google cares if people like me wont buy a pixel because I need a microsd card.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Pretty sure removable storage requirement is such a small subset of the current market that they really don't concern themselves with that need

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

redeyes posted:

I wonder if google cares if people like me wont buy a pixel because I need a microsd card.

I'm curious how you use phones that wants more than 128GB of local storage, but I'm a philistine who has always been A-OK with 32GB phones.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm curious how you use phones that wants more than 128GB of local storage, but I'm a philistine who has always been A-OK with 32GB phones.

I mean if you really care, I don't stream, I have a music collection. It's on my microSD. I do a lot of high altitude hiking and my phone is my little entertainment center and no, there is no cell service.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

redeyes posted:

I mean if you really care, I don't stream, I have a music collection. It's on my microSD. I do a lot of high altitude hiking and my phone is my little entertainment center and no, there is no cell service.

I really was curious, and that makes sense. I know a few years ago dedicated mp3 player battery life was dramatically better than phones, but I'd bet that's changed now. I also am someone who is really tolerant of low-bandwidth audio and happily listen to music at 64kbps Opus compression.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
For seemingly no reason, my Pixel 2 camera suddenly stopped working. Every app that uses the camera just shows pure black. It's really weird because I didn't drop it, install anything, or do anything notable... it was working one hour and not working the next.

1. Is this is a known issue? Anyone else have a similar problem? Googling is leading to mixed results. (edit: seems pretty common!! https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/11266161?hl=en)

2. If this is truly busted and I need to get a replacement, what do people recommend for a good cheap used device? I don't care in the slightest about having the newest stuff, just want something that's smooth with a nice camera and near-stock Android. My initial thought was to just get a used Pixel 3 or 4 on Swappa, but people seem REALLY negative about the 3 and 4...

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 14, 2020

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Twerk from Home posted:

I really was curious, and that makes sense. I know a few years ago dedicated mp3 player battery life was dramatically better than phones, but I'd bet that's changed now. I also am someone who is really tolerant of low-bandwidth audio and happily listen to music at 64kbps Opus compression.

Yeah I use an LG G7 with a 512GB microsd. I've been building a music library for like 15 years and I don't see the point in repaying for that streaming or whatever. I like shooting videos and pictures too but the music takes the majority of the space.

Funny part is the LG is worth like $150 bux so it's not like I need to spend a lot to get expandable storage.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Who needs a top tier processor when the Pixels always came with mid tier RAM?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

redeyes posted:

Yeah I use an LG G7 with a 512GB microsd. I've been building a music library for like 15 years and I don't see the point in repaying for that streaming or whatever. I like shooting videos and pictures too but the music takes the majority of the space.

Funny part is the LG is worth like $150 bux so it's not like I need to spend a lot to get expandable storage.

I was curious and after buying CDs since the 90's, my music library is at 66.6 GB (:v:) and that's with high res album covers embedded in the tags inflating the file size. I personally wouldn't consider even half of that something that I need on my person at all times. I keep like 8 GB in the car cause any more and it just becomes a distraction when looking for something to play.

But I do like having it all available on Google Play Music if I wanna stream something uncommon away from home.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Polo-Rican posted:

2. If this is truly busted and I need to get a replacement, what do people recommend for a good cheap used device? I don't care in the slightest about having the newest stuff, just want something that's smooth with a nice camera and near-stock Android. My initial thought was to just get a used Pixel 3 or 4 on Swappa, but people seem REALLY negative about the 3 and 4...

I used my P2 for 2+ years, then bought a 3 about 6 months ago and so far it has been just fine. The P3 feels like a refined P2. Performance is noticeably better side by side, but I also didn't have any issues with the 2 up until the upgrade. You could also look at a 3a, but the performance is roughly equal to the P2.

At this point, the 3 is a year and a half old though. I'd be concerned about battery longevity buying one now, especially used. A 3a would be newer, or of course a 4, with its more obvious changes/tradeoffs.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FogHelmut posted:

Who needs a top tier processor when the Pixels always came with mid tier RAM?

Who needs a top processor when we really don't have any software to stress the GPU in one.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Polo-Rican posted:

For seemingly no reason, my Pixel 2 camera suddenly stopped working. Every app that uses the camera just shows pure black. It's really weird because I didn't drop it, install anything, or do anything notable... it was working one hour and not working the next.

1. Is this is a known issue? Anyone else have a similar problem? Googling is leading to mixed results. (edit: seems pretty common!! https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/11266161?hl=en)

Lay the phone down on a flat surface face down, and then using a finger, push on the back of the phone really hard directly under the camera. I've seen 2 Pixel 2s (one of them my own) with this issue. The camera stopped working and occasionally the screen would turn to colored static. Pushing on this area always immediately solved it.

I assume some sort of connector had worked loose inside.

I got a Pixel 3a XL to replace the Pixel 2 and I've been pretty happy with it. Performance wise its the same, camera is the same. Only difference really is the bigger screen.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 14, 2020

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

bull3964 posted:

Who needs a top processor when we really don't have any software to stress the GPU in one.

It'd be nice if we had a way to compare upcoming processors on the same platform to see if regular use is affected by a slightly slower chip. Computers haven't needed top-of-the-line processors to run non-specialized tasks for quite some time now, it'd only be expected for phone processors to achieve that at some point.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Austen Tassletine posted:

Going back a page or two, what's the major issue with a Moto G8 Power? I'm not in the loop with these things and was thinking of a new phone around £200-300, preferably at the lower end of that, and it looked like it might do the trick. But apparently it doesn't have much favour around here.

I got the impression that people were just down on Motorola in general. I had a Moto Atrix 4G and know other people with various Moto phones who haven't had any issues with them, so my experiences have been on the positive side.

Moto G Power's got a big battery, but apparently the G Stylus has more storage space and a "48-megapixel" camera that really shoots sharper 12-mp pics.

Like I said before, the Nokia 6.2 isn't supported on Verizon, nor is the 7.2 or any other Nokia smartphone afaik, so those options were a no-go for me.

couldcareless posted:

Pretty sure removable storage requirement is such a small subset of the current market that they really don't concern themselves with that need

I would have liked to have that on the 3a XL, but it wasn't a dealbreaker.

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 14, 2020

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

stevewm posted:

Lay the phone down on a flat surface face down, and then using a finger, push on the back of the phone really hard directly under the camera. I've seen 2 Pixel 2s (one of them my own) with this issue. The camera stopped working and occasionally the screen would turn to colored static. Pushing on this area always immediately solved it.

I pushed and it didn't work :-(

Dammit... really don't want to buy a new phone when this one works perfectly except for the camera...

Now that the pixel 3 and 4 are lovely I'm honestly considering jumping to the new iPhone SE. A while ago Nexus / Pixel had dramatically better google integration, much better google maps, and (briefly) a better camera... But none of these advantages exist any more, and texting with groups of friends is driving me loving crazy because google never made a good texting app. If they kill Hangouts like they're planning on doing, the texting situation would go from "really bad" to "unusable." Also reading more and more about how awful Android is with data privacy compared to iOS...

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 14, 2020

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

90s Solo Cup posted:

I got the impression that people were just down on Motorola in general. I had a Moto Atrix 4G and know other people with various Moto phones who haven't had any issues with them, so my experiences have been on the positive side.

Moto G Power's got a big battery, but apparently the G Stylus has more storage space and a "48-megapixel" camera that really shoots sharper 12-mp pics.

Like I said before, the Nokia 6.2 isn't supported on Verizon, nor is the 7.2 or any other Nokia smartphone afaik.

I would have liked to have that on the 3a XL, but it wasn't a dealbreaker.

The original Moto X was the greatest Android phone I ever had.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My phone prior to my new one was a Moto G5+ and it held up very nicely over the five or so years that I had it. (I definitely could/should have upgraded before I did.) My only real complaint was the general lack and low frequency of OS and security updates. It was otherwise a nice phone, though obviously not anything like a flagship (and never claimed to be such).

I'm very happy with my new Pixel 3a but I'd buy from Motorola again if I could be assured of more consistent updates. (Which I know I cannot.)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

bull3964 posted:

FORTNITE THO!?!?!?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

Dammit... really don't want to buy a new phone when this one works perfectly except for the camera...

Now that the pixel 3 and 4 are lovely I'm honestly considering jumping to the new iPhone SE. A while ago Nexus / Pixel had dramatically better google integration, much better google maps, and (briefly) a better camera... But none of these advantages exist any more, and texting with groups of friends is driving me loving crazy because google never made a good texting app. If they kill Hangouts like they're planning on doing, the texting situation would go from "really bad" to "unusable." Also reading more and more about how awful Android is with data privacy compared to iOS...

You're in the wrong thread if you want support for switching to an iPhone, fyi.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is it the right thread for making fun of him for wanting to switch to an iPhone?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

vyst posted:

Is it the right thread for making fun of him for wanting to switch to an iPhone?

I'll allow it, if you're funny.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Polo-Rican posted:

I have a Pixel 3 and my work phone is the new SE. The SE is fine but I really prefer Android's UI. Try iOS out if you can before purchasing. Head to the iPhone thread for more.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

docbeard posted:

My phone prior to my new one was a Moto G5+ and it held up very nicely over the five or so years that I had it. (I definitely could/should have upgraded before I did.) My only real complaint was the general lack and low frequency of OS and security updates. It was otherwise a nice phone, though obviously not anything like a flagship (and never claimed to be such).

I'm very happy with my new Pixel 3a but I'd buy from Motorola again if I could be assured of more consistent updates. (Which I know I cannot.)

I have a G5+ that I bought the month it was released, it just turned 3 years old. I'm also itching for something new. Work has a Nokia coming to me as a development device, so I'll kick the tires on that and think about getting one for myself.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I got a new SE and it's pretty great. Despite for sure noticing 90 hz in store, I realized going between my OP7T and wife's Pixel 3a that I didn't really notice it much. Shorter screen doesn't make much difference to me because I tend to scroll so whatever I'm reading is towards the middle anyway. Pixel density on paper looks bad, except it's full RGB pixels, not the RGBG arrangement every oled screen seems to use, and so the 326 ppi iPhone is at worst similar (and maybe better) than the 7T's 400 ppi. It's really really fast. Camera quality tbd, but I suspect it'll not be a step down. And it works with an Apple Watch. It's a little narrower and noticeably shorter than a Pixel 3a, so it's nice to hold and use if you want a smaller phone.

The absolute worst thing is notifications, though. So many things you can do by interacting with the notification in Android just isn't possible or as useful, and it sucks. I don't really mind most of the other parts of iOS, like my Android homescreen is just some most-used apps and folders, but notifications are a bummer.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Yeah to be clear I'm not looking for "support" for switching to iOS. I've used Android since day 1 and really prefer its UI over the iOS ui. But as a person whose pixel 2 broke today, and knowing that the pixel 3 and pixel 4 are both widely panned, it's dumb not to spend a minute earnestly evaluating what benefits Android offers in 2020

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 14, 2020

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

^^^ There are plenty of advantages, dude. And the 4XL wasn't "panned" at all, the 4 was for terrible battery life. You do whatever you want, but this is not the iPhone thread.

How tiny are your hands to be able to use such a tiny phone, anyways. I'm a big phone person 4 life.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

I have a G5+ that I bought the month it was released, it just turned 3 years old. I'm also itching for something new. Work has a Nokia coming to me as a development device, so I'll kick the tires on that and think about getting one for myself.

Time isn't real. Or I misread the date I bought it. One of those. Either way I had it for a long time.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

^^^ There are plenty of advantages, dude. And the 4XL wasn't "panned" at all, the 4 was for terrible battery life. You do whatever you want, but this is not the iPhone thread.

How tiny are your hands to be able to use such a tiny phone, anyways. I'm a big phone person 4 life.

It's almost identical to a Pixel 3 or 4, just a tiny bit shorter

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

CLAM DOWN posted:

I mean, I'm open to discussing anything aside from pixel phones haha.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

CLAM DOWN posted:

How bad are your eyes that you need a giant unwieldy phone? I have the regular 4 and it's still too big.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The biggest issue with the iPhone SE's camera is lack of night mode (which is completely artificial since it certainly has the processing for that.) The Pixel 3a and 4a are going to absolutely stomp the SE in low light camera quality and I'm betting so will the Samsungs in a similar price bracket.

The SE is a great deal if you want <smartphone> that remains supported for multiple years and performs well, but there are certainly tradeoffs.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
What?! The new Oneplus 8 Pro has X-ray vision with one of its lenses? Seems to only work with certain types of materials, mainly certain types of plastics. Anyone know how this works?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOsylGr2_h4

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 14, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3689060&userid=15250&perpage=40&pagenumber=81#post504310300

It's an IR camera, so certain materials are IR transparent (as remotes are since they have to send signals) and certain materials reflect differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?
No IR filter, would be my guess. Edit: what he said.