Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
OH MY GOD I just learned that there was a PC version of Blur but it's been removed from Steam, I'm assuming for licensing reasons. I've been scouring the Internet for a Steam key but I'm coming up short. Is there any way of playing Blur on my PC?

Edit: Sorry for the lovely snipe but Blur is really good you guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

:siren:Steam Free Weekend for Conan Exiles! Try it out!:siren:

We have an active community of friendly goons now and they're building some really cool stuff. All should see the majesty of Buttland, our hub of civilization in the jungle. Come give it a try and chill with us! Funcom just updated the game with a lot of cool quality-of-life features including being able to bring a horse and a thrall fighter along with you at the same time, dragging NPCs from horseback, and customizable commands for your followers and guards. This is a great time to jump in.

Click Here For Goon PVE Server Info

Link to Conan Exiles thread in Games

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Man, if I had a six-pack like Shirtless Guy, I would never wear a shirt either.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Fallout 76 is also having a free weekend

this was your periodic reminder to lol at Fallout 76

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ZearothK posted:

I am ~50 hours in and I've unlocked a new subsystem, Pokemon. Which I really wasn't expecting.

When I went to look up some info on Masteries I found out about that system and also that there is YET ANOTHER similarly complex system later, making your own robot buddies so uh yeah this game has probably too many goddang systems but I like it anyways. The plot is, while anime, surprisingly good? They certainly manage to get a lot of pathos out of some dipshits with spoons on their faces.

I think I hit some sort of ridiculous breakthrough with Sion and now he's hitting in the 5k range while the rest of my party is lucky to hit 1k. And he has by far the best AoE in the group. Boy is a total monster.

Edit: By the way, anyone know if there's any benefit to maxing both of a characters advanced classes? I see absolutely no reason to switch Sion off Black Mage if there isn't.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 14, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Hakarne posted:

:siren:Steam Free Weekend for Conan Exiles! Try it out!:siren:
Thanks, my brother has been annoying me about that one for ages. Now he'll get to see first-hand how much fun it isn't and maybe finally shut up about it.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Infinity Gaia posted:

When I went to look up some info on Masteries I found out about that system and also that there is YET ANOTHER similarly complex system later, making your own robot buddies so uh yeah this game has probably too many goddang systems but I like it anyways. The plot is, while anime, surprisingly good? They certainly manage to get a lot of pathos out of some dipshits with spoons on their faces.

I think I hit some sort of ridiculous breakthrough with Sion and now he's hitting in the 5k range while the rest of my party is lucky to hit 1k. And he has by far the best AoE in the group. Boy is a total monster.

Edit: By the way, anyone know if there's any benefit to maxing both of a characters advanced classes? I see absolutely no reason to switch Sion off Black Mage if there isn't.

I believe the deal is you can take unique Masteries or Abilities you've learned from one advanced class and use them on the other, ala FF Tactics. So it's mostly a matter of customization although you wouldn't be *wrong* to just stick with one. But you'd switch over to Battle to get some more defensive perks, and then potentially switch back to Black Mage, I guess. *shrug*

And yeah, Sion wrecks face pretty quickly it seems like. I just hit Level 16 and broke out his Black Mage as well and it feels like I just send Albus (yes, the main character is named Albus) in to tank a crowd, let him gather mobs all around him, and then Sion drops 4 or 5 fools, most of them with crits given his 50% crit chance, and that's that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Man, I don't regret having just spent 50 bucks on Red Dead Redemption 2, but I kinda wish I was able to afford Troubleshooter as well. This sounds like everything I love in a game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

CordlessPen posted:

OH MY GOD I just learned that there was a PC version of Blur but it's been removed from Steam, I'm assuming for licensing reasons. I've been scouring the Internet for a Steam key but I'm coming up short. Is there any way of playing Blur on my PC?

Edit: Sorry for the lovely snipe but Blur is really good you guys!

I’m going to guess not outside of :filez:

Edit: Something similar to Blur but available you might enjoy is Split Second. It’s less Adult Mario Kart and more about loving with stuff to get in the way of your opponents but it’s still a pretty good explodey time.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 14, 2020

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Jumping into this thread because I've been noticing a lot of this lately (though not usually to this extreme):

Why the gently caress is Steam delaying game auto-updates and scheduling them for two weeks later?

The two games are Crusader Kings II and Prison Architect, and both updated perfectly fine when I clicked the "Download Update" buttons, so what's with the delay? Is there something in the settings I need to fix?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Eh! Frank posted:

Jumping into this thread because I've been noticing a lot of this lately (though not usually to this extreme):

Why the gently caress is Steam delaying game auto-updates and scheduling them for two weeks later?

The two games are Crusader Kings II and Prison Architect, and both updated perfectly fine when I clicked the "Download Update" buttons, so what's with the delay? Is there something in the settings I need to fix?

They did that a while ago, anything that’s installed but hasn’t been played in a certain amount of time gets its updates pushed back. It’s a bandwidth management thing since so many people are working from home.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Eh! Frank posted:

Their CMS got wrecked at the begining of the stay at home orders so they stagger auto updates now. You are doing exactly what they recommend if you want to stay updated, hitting the button manually.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Trying to calibrate my expectations regarding: Far Cry 5

Is it basically the same thing as Far Cry 4? I could do with a dumb mindless power fantasy / open world psychopath game to pass the time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Xtanstic posted:

Is it basically the same thing as Far Cry 4? I could do with a dumb mindless power fantasy / open world psychopath game to pass the time.

The story jumps in sometimes but yeah, it’s pretty similar otherwise with some improvements. No more radio towers, no bullet sponges, AI companions, all that good stuff. I really liked it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Xtanstic posted:

On the most basic level, yes, but it takes everything that was self-righteous and annoying about the plot of FC4 and dials it up to eleven. Expect to be unavoidably "abducted" by the antagonists of the story every time you get anything done and to have them rant at you for up to 20 minutes (no skipping) whenever it happens. It's a great open world game marred by having one of the most obnoxious and obnoxiously presented storylines in modern gaming.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Ugly In The Morning posted:

They did that a while ago, anything that’s installed but hasn’t been played in a certain amount of time gets its updates pushed back. It’s a bandwidth management thing since so many people are working from home.

zedprime posted:

Their CMS got wrecked at the begining of the stay at home orders so they stagger auto updates now. You are doing exactly what they recommend if you want to stay updated, hitting the button manually.

Ah yeah that makes sense, I wasn't thinking about the stay-at-home stuff. And I haven't played Prison Architect in months so that delay is reasonable. But I've played Crusader Kings II quite a lot lately, and it's the one that was scheduled for the 27th so that's kinda weird. It's whatever though, just a very minor annoyance, I was just curious what was going on. Thanks for the answers!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FC5's gameplay is fine open world mayhem but unfortunately the narrative literally yanks you out of the action to deliver sophomoric villain monologuing with increasingly intrusive frequency. One time I was somehow captured in a Cessna hundreds of feet in the air to another one of these totally unavoidable sequences. If you can ignore everything about the plot, then it's fine enough. I thought New Dawn was superior for keeping the cutscenes to a minimum.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

The story jumps in sometimes but yeah, it’s pretty similar otherwise with some improvements. No more radio towers, no bullet sponges, AI companions, all that good stuff. I really liked it.

Cardiovorax posted:

On the most basic level, yes, but it takes everything that was self-righteous and annoying about the plot of FC4 and dials it up to eleven. Expect to be unavoidably "abducted" by the antagonists of the story every time you get anything done and to have them rant at you for up to 20 minutes (no skipping) whenever it happens. It's a great open world game marred by having one of the most obnoxious and obnoxiously presented storylines in modern gaming.

Ah shame. Yeah that was super obnoxious and by the end of Far Cry 4 I just wanted it to all be over. But good to know. I'll calibrate my expectations accordingly. Thanks for the input.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Xtanstic posted:

Ah shame. Yeah that was super obnoxious and by the end of Far Cry 4 I just wanted it to all be over. But good to know. I'll calibrate my expectations accordingly. Thanks for the input.

I will say that the new skill system kicks FC3 and 4’s rear end. Instead of XP that makes you prioritize stealth for massive bonuses, it’s challenges where you get skill points for different things (hunting, fishing, kills with different weapon types, etc) and items in the prepper stashes (you get about 3 points per stash). It really encourages mixing up how you play without penalizing you for playing how you want.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Xtanstic posted:

I warmly recommend Far Cry Primal if you feel try like trying something very different. It's not a slapdash game like Blood Dragon, it's very fully realized and has a real charm of its own.

I will say that the new skill system kicks FC3 and 4’s rear end. Instead of XP that makes you prioritize stealth for massive bonuses, it’s challenges where you get skill points for different things (hunting, fishing, kills with different weapon types, etc) and items in the prepper stashes (you get about 3 points per stash). It really encourages mixing up how you play without penalizing you for playing how you want.
The skill system is objectively better, no argument there, although I think Primal's beats it out the water.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I have 5 updates queued. And I'm going to leave it like that until I actually decide to play the games because I'm a madman. Buahahahaha. Kukukukuku. Kekekekeke. Jajajaja.
:doit:

Anyway, beat D:OS2. Go play that one. Skip the first unless you're really curious or already beat the second.

I'm currently working my way through EDF 5. I really appreciate the locational damage (the visual feedback from shooting a specific spot), the fantastic and outrageous ragdoll physics, the limbs flying away from explosions, the singing, and the amount of destruction you can cause while saving the world. The best way to clear an infestation in a house is to level the city block.

I do want more games to put a better focus on shots wrecking what they hit. RE2 Remake did a great job with it. Same with Binary Domain. Now there's a game people don't think about too often nowadays. Just gonna go quietly reinstall it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I wish I wasn't too stupid to wrap my head around Crusader Kings 2 or Paradox grand strategy games in general, they seem exactly like my kind of jam but wow is there a lot of menus and numbers to remember.

Are there any thorough lets plays from or for a total newbie?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i think the guys name is like arumba or something on youtube? he did like the "definitive" easy starting ck2 guide/lp. it might be kind of out of date now with all the expansions but it should still get the basic ideas across.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just wanted to say the play next feature is pretty good.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Started Darksiders III on Xbox Game Pass and I'm enjoying it. I miss the Zelda-like structure from the first game (this one goes for more of a Metroid-style interconnected world, and I haven't really gotten far enough to assess how well the backtracking aspect is implemented) and the character action-style combat from the second, but at least it doesn't seem to be suffering from the latter game's bloat.

(fyi, I'm playing on the Classic mode that was patched in after launch to make the combat more like the first game and less Souls-like)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Deakul posted:

I wish I wasn't too stupid to wrap my head around Crusader Kings 2 or Paradox grand strategy games in general, they seem exactly like my kind of jam but wow is there a lot of menus and numbers to remember.

There's a 'Things Crusader Kings Say' series on Youtube and I recommend watching it just so that you can fully appreciate the crazy in that game. It's hilarious.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Cardiovorax posted:

There's a 'Things Crusader Kings Say' series on Youtube and I recommend watching it just so that you can fully appreciate the crazy in that game. It's hilarious.

There isn't anymore, unfortunately. He took them down for... some reason.

Unless they're back now?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ablative posted:

There isn't anymore, unfortunately. He took them down for... some reason.

Unless they're back now?
Aw, gently caress me, seriously!? I loved those videos! Wow, that sucks.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Deakul posted:

wait for ck3, it's streamlined and likely more accessible as a starting point into the series. the paradox games which are arguably good are increasingly buried under years of DLC and layered systems

you could also pick up ck2 which is free to play now on steam, and head over to the ck2 thread to ask newbie questions. there's a few other people who have picked up the game in the last couple weeks and the thread regulars are happy to walk people up the very steep learning curve

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

luxury handset posted:

wait for ck3, it's streamlined and likely more accessible as a starting point into the series. the paradox games which are arguably good are increasingly buried under years of DLC and layered systems

you could also pick up ck2 which is free to play now on steam, and head over to the ck2 thread to ask newbie questions. there's a few other people who have picked up the game in the last couple weeks and the thread regulars are happy to walk people up the very steep learning curve

I actually played through 2 entire campaigns of HoI4 and still have no clue over how half of the systems in the game work.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Speaking of Crusader Kings II, the Horse Lords expansion is free for a limited time.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/354330/Expansion__Crusader_Kings_II_Horse_Lords/

Now you too can play a horse and conquer Britannia or whatever it is you do in CK II.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Epic is doing the $10 off coupon on anything $15 or above thing again (in case somebody didn't mention it). That's how I got Outward for $6 last sale.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Deakul posted:

The base game of CKII is entirely free on Steam, pick it up, don't look up Arumba to learn because he's got a million hours in PDox games and uses a special custom hotkey mod he made to play at thousand miles per hour. Instead you're gonna split between two places, the thread, which is still populated with loads of helpful people that can explain things in everything from layman's terms all the way down into the actual background math.

The other part you'll be using are these much, much better videos by Quill18.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMtkcXS3QJM

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Epic is doing the $10 off coupon on anything $15 or above thing again (in case somebody didn't mention it). That's how I got Outward for $6 last sale.

Didn’t that infuriate a bunch of devs the last time they did that? There was talk about how even if they still get paid the same, it devalues the game in the eyes of consumers.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Cardiovorax posted:

Man, I don't regret having just spent 50 bucks on Red Dead Redemption 2, but I kinda wish I was able to afford Troubleshooter as well. This sounds like everything I love in a game.

If you bought it on any DD system they will likely reimburse you the difference if it went on sale recently after you bought it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Zedd posted:

If you bought it on any DD system they will likely reimburse you the difference if it went on sale recently after you bought it.
No, I bought it after it went on sale, but thank you for pointing that out.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Det_no posted:

Speaking of Crusader Kings II, the Horse Lords expansion is free for a limited time.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/354330/Expansion__Crusader_Kings_II_Horse_Lords/

Now you too can play a horse and conquer Britannia or whatever it is you do in CK II.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Umineko Question Arcs: complete at 34 hours. Absolutely incredible, one of the best murder mysteries I've ever read. An emotionally gripping story, too - even to the end I'm going "WHAT" as it reveals another twist.

Installing the Answer Arcs now.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Didn’t that infuriate a bunch of devs the last time they did that? There was talk about how even if they still get paid the same, it devalues the game in the eyes of consumers.

Maybe those particular games aren't part of the 'mega sale'? I remember something like that but I feel like the 'coupon' tactic was a response to that somehow. Maybe somebody else has a better memory and can educate us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Xtanstic posted:

Be warned that Far Cry 5 is absolutely drenched in pro-America "guns good" messaging - not from the main plot, which is a turgid mess, but from literally everything else about it. It does americana and then busts out the flag-pin wearing patriotic nonsense to the point where you will find yourself wearing a maga hat while playing it.

It's impressive how it does this without ever getting explicitly political, but... well, it's one of the reasons why I'm not playing it right now. I'd like to go back to it at some point, but it's so red-blood american that whoof.

(note that I am extremely thin-skinned when it comes to this, for D&D/C-SPAM reasons that I won't go into)

e: ps I'm still extremely bothered by the side quest where you convince a man and his pregnant wife to stay in a literal warzone with the cultists shooting people left and right, with the principles that they should "stay and fight for their home"

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 14, 2020