Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why is there a rear deflector

if the ships were solar or source-powered in any way they would want one of those

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_sail
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concentrated_solar_power

it actually makes the most sense when real science is considered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Or a towed sensor array analogous to submarines' towed sonar arrays

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lmao the first one of those I recognized from context was the Pakled episode and Worf was extremely right

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Refresh my memory. Was the episode that Geordi had a fling with holo Brahms after or before everyone got on Barclay’s case of having holo fantasies? Cause....

Original
https://youtu.be/RphWASTSvJ8

Real
https://youtu.be/8z31gO1YcNQ

I do think these two episodes are really good. I think the actress for Brahms did a great job too

Gatts fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 13, 2020

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Retrowave Joe posted:

It's the 23rd century version of a spare tire on the back of a Jeep.

Now I wish the runabouts went around with spare warp coils on the back. And a luggage rack on top with hyperkayaks Miles has had up there for years but just never can find the time to take that big trip to the Yukon Nebula.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 13, 2020

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gatts posted:

Refresh my memory. Was the episode that Geordi had a fling with holo Brahms after or before everyone got on Barclay’s case of having holo fantasies? Cause....

Original
https://youtu.be/RphWASTSvJ8

Real
https://youtu.be/8z31gO1YcNQ

I do think these two episodes are really good. I think the actress for Brahms did a great job too

well after. and as is explained each time in the thread, despite geordi being an incel it was really the computer that was hitting on him.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The computer is a self aware entity and it loves Geordi.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Chomp8645 posted:

The computer is a self aware entity and it loves Geordi.

His name is Data

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I’m on season 6 of voyager and the highs are getting higher. The episode with the planet out of sync with the universe where time passed at a super accelerated rate and Voyager in orbit became a religious icon was really, really good

For every two or three stupid doctor singing at aliens / some ponderous boring personal issue episodes there’s at least one high concept sci fi one that knocks it outta the park

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Frog Act posted:

I’m on season 6 of voyager and the highs are getting higher. The episode with the planet out of sync with the universe where time passed at a super accelerated rate and Voyager in orbit became a religious icon was really, really good

For every two or three stupid doctor singing at aliens / some ponderous boring personal issue episodes there’s at least one high concept sci fi one that knocks it outta the park

Who did the accelerated time planet better? Voyager or Orville?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I’m thinking I should get around to watching the Orville after I finish my current trek rewatch, which still has TNG to go through. It looks a lot better than Disco or Picard

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The Orville is more trek than any actual trek show produced since Enterprise.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Frog Act posted:

Just stay around a few hours longer till the fast time people invent some technology that will instantly get you back to Earth! You've burned whole weeks on dumber poo poo!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That episode plagiarized the novel Dragon's Egg by Robert L. Forward.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Just stay around a few hours longer till the fast time people invent some technology that will instantly get you back to Earth! You've burned whole weeks on dumber poo poo!

yeah that one kind of bugged me out, since, in the time between them being early space age and the end of the planet's attacks on voyager, they had advanced from the 1950s to roughly equivalent to Starfleet. B'Elanna tells Janeway at the end of the episode, when they're out of orbit, they'll need about two hours to fix the warp drive

if, in the previous two hours, the inhabitants of the planet managed to invent a temporal compensator more sophisticated than anything the federation / voyager possessed, than it totally follows that they'd just be able to perfect quantum slipstream or whatever in another hour or so when they've learned how to completely bridge the temporal gap

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Frog Act posted:

That was a mediocre episode but I liked the resolution that the aliens rejected the doctor because he couldn't sing complex enough music for them even though it sounded terrible. Reminds me of the kind of music nerd who thinks that the more technical a piece is, the better it is. And to be honest I used to be like that when I was a teenager.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

today's featured article on Wikipedia is

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Frog Act posted:

yeah that one kind of bugged me out, since, in the time between them being early space age and the end of the planet's attacks on voyager, they had advanced from the 1950s to roughly equivalent to Starfleet. B'Elanna tells Janeway at the end of the episode, when they're out of orbit, they'll need about two hours to fix the warp drive

if, in the previous two hours, the inhabitants of the planet managed to invent a temporal compensator more sophisticated than anything the federation / voyager possessed, than it totally follows that they'd just be able to perfect quantum slipstream or whatever in another hour or so when they've learned how to completely bridge the temporal gap

Actually I've come up with a reasoning: Janeway loving hates Qs. She's worried that if she sticks around the inhabitants are going to transcend to a new plane of existence and turn into a bunch of Qs. She wants to get away as fast as possible while they're doing that so they get the message to leave her and Voyager alone.

MysteryPoetryPostr
May 13, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"pagh tlhuHmey

DechtaH partla’ Huj’eng

teb Hoch qojmey

getlh paghmeH

ram ‘ach,’a loghDajmey

je chIm loghmey

ghajmey law’ tay’ ‘ang

nIHwI’pa’ paghmey

ghomrI’quprIp wIchIrgh

larghtlhuH He’ yIn

nobtun lojmItvam

tIj chIrgh

wIquvmoH

vaj tlhIHqanglah chaw’ta’

tIlegh

paghmey je tu’

wewmey largh yIn"

-----------

Translation:

"Blankness of soul

surrounds like stifling fog

filling every crevise

with dull nothing

even night in her eternities

and hallow spaces

has more to show

than the blanknesses

worship at her temple

sniff deep the scent of life

give softly at the doorway

to the inner sanctum

she will bless

Then you’ll be allowed

to see

into nothings and find

glowing breathing life"

- David E. Howerton

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
i'm seeing the defiant all over season 3, but wasn't it destroyed by the dominion when it was boarded and all the crew taken captive and put into a simulation?

did the dominion just give it back cuz odo asked for it? was it still space-worthy cuz i'm pretty sure they hosed it up?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it was hosed up but not destroyed because they wanted to kidnap the people onboard.

they give it back not just cause odo asked for it but because he threatened that they would need to use force on him personally to achieve their goals, which was incomprehensible to the founders as their entire civilisation was built on goo solidarity.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm curious if the founders' plan of shooting their babies into space and then maybe reconnecting if they survive to adulthood was ever successful. i'm also not sure if providing live specimens that can reveal all their weaknesses across the universe jives with their pathological need for secrecy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 14, 2020

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

RaySmuckles posted:

i'm seeing the defiant all over season 3, but wasn't it destroyed by the dominion when it was boarded and all the crew taken captive and put into a simulation?

did the dominion just give it back cuz odo asked for it? was it still space-worthy cuz i'm pretty sure they hosed it up?

It suffered severe damage but it was returned to the Federation.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

It suffered severe damage but it was returned to the Federation.

well that's nice of the dominion

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They will do a lot of concessions for their own. They wanted Odo to make the choice to return to the Great Link on his own, and that meant not letting his friends die. They instead try to instill paranoia of solids in him through a long campaign of undermining his faith in people, and they only switch to actively trying to kill his friends when it becomes apparent he won't budge without their nudge.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
dang, spoilers, yo ;)

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
odo is jizz

the great link is a planet of jizz

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

odo is jizz

how's the weather? fit for a dip?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Ghostlight posted:

solidarity.

Ha-ha! :buddy:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

RaySmuckles posted:

how's the weather? fit for a dip?

warm and salty 24/7

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm curious if the founders' plan of shooting their babies into space and then maybe reconnecting if they survive to adulthood was ever successful. i'm also not sure if providing live specimens that can reveal all their weaknesses across the universe jives with their pathological need for secrecy.

There was that episode where Odo found another changeling that had been sent out same as him. I can't remember if the guy left to rejoin the founders at the end or if he just went to be a smug prick in a different part of the galaxy

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Communist Walrus posted:

There was that episode where Odo found another changeling that had been sent out same as him. I can't remember if the guy left to rejoin the founders at the end or if he just went to be a smug prick in a different part of the galaxy

It basically went something like this

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

odo is jizz

The ocean cums the drop.

The drop cums the ocean.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm watching Who Watches The Watchers and apart from being a great episode, it has a phenomenal soundtrack. gently caress Rick Berman for firing Ron Jones.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Communist Walrus posted:

After Odo was forced to make a long and torturous decision to not leave with him, the guy shot off to go back to living with herb animals.

I've sure the novels had Odo searching for more of the 100 but aside from the story telling purpose most of them probably ended up vaporized in suns.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I can’t get over Sisko’s decision at the end of “The Cardassians”. From what we see of Cardassia it’s not like there’s a few bad apples, it’s that their whole social, political and legal situations are p hosed up and likely to act against this kid. And he already has a Bajoran family. But Sisko’s just blithely like “bye, let the healing begin!!” Wtf

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It would be legitimizing Dukat's plot to deliberately separate a family for political purposes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Additionally, we never actually learn much about the civilian side of their world. Ulani, Tekeny, Natima, Gilora, Rekelen, Hogue, to some extent Damar all seem like pretty normal people. The govt might be messed up but govt being messed up isn't an excuse for people who like steal kids from developing countries on Earth. If anything, the biggest point the show was trying to make about them is it their military, judiciary, and secret police are hosed up, not the people as such.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
From my point of view they DID separate a family for political purposes. All Rugal knows is his Bajoran family. But to score points against Dukat they decided to take him away from that family regardless of what he wanted. Pa’Dar was almost certainly involved in all kinds of abhorrent stuff in the occupation too, and while he seems like a nice enough guy... I still wouldn’t hand a kid back to a space Nazi without some serious thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

The ocean cums the drop.

The drop cums the ocean.

HBO's DS9: Laas is on the Promenade, blowing wads on passerby as a giant penis

"Did you even know we could become spunk?"

pentyne posted:

After Odo was forced to make a long and torturous decision to not leave with him, the guy shot off to go back to living with herb animals.

I've sure the novels had Odo searching for more of the 100 but aside from the story telling purpose most of them probably ended up vaporized in suns.

Peter David wrote a pretty decent DS9 book about one of the other Changelings coming to DS9, but he was a serial killer who just reveled in killing squishy solids. This was way back around season 1 or 2 but really it didn't need any bigger Founder backstory anyway, and it was before the silly EU era where everything had to be part of some 19-novel megaseries.