Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I love the how the thread has turned into measurement chat. I still miss mourn my go-to 8" Mitutoyo verniers that I've been using since 1993 :(

I just remembered - I have to measure a stepped 10"/250mm shaft today (What is it..? It's a mystery? That's why I am measuring it!) and now questioning if I have calipers big enough to do it :(

gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nadmonk posted:

I was on eBay looking at vintage precision measurement tools again (help, I have a problem), when I came across this old Starrett micrometer and pulled the trigger:

The listing said they mechanically worked fine. I figured at the cost I really couldn't go wrong and I could probably clean them up a bit.
Shortly after buying them the seller contacted me saying while they had worked fine before, they tried loosening a screw on them and it broke but they had another nicer Starrett micrometer they would send me instead if that was OK. I figured for $11 I still couldn't go wrong but kept my expectations in check.

I feel like I hit the jackpot on what I received:

They work great and appear to be accurate (maybe I should hunt for some vintage gauge blocks to really verify........).

This is hot as gently caress. I use a modern version of that every day.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

slidebite posted:

I love the how the thread has turned into measurement chat. I still miss mourn my go-to 8" Mitutoyo verniers that I've been using since 1993 :(

I just remembered - I have to measure a stepped 10"/250mm shaft today (What is it..? It's a mystery? That's why I am measuring it!) and now questioning if I have calipers big enough to do it :(

gently caress.

My old job had something like a 24" Mitutoyo verniers that I was always anxious when using cause I knew how much they cost.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Been wanting a way to cut metal that extends past my angle grinder. These guys give me motivation to try and make it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvEUy36u-TI

I would say it's impossible than no one knows this channel considering the amount of subscribers they have, but if you haven't seen them make tools, have a look.

https://www.youtube.com/user/darus627

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

um excuse me posted:

Been wanting a way to cut metal that extends past my angle grinder. These guys give me motivation to try and make it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvEUy36u-TI

I would say it's impossible than no one knows this channel considering the amount of subscribers they have, but if you haven't seen them make tools, have a look.

https://www.youtube.com/user/darus627

Jesus, that's a ton of time and money to build a cold-cut saw. Mad respect, but I'd just buy one.
https://www.baileigh.com/metalworking/saws/cold-saws/manual-cold-saws
Starting at $1200.

https://www.baileigh.com/circular-coldsaw-cs-315eu

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

There are much cheaper options if you can get away with something less fancy
$340 https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B083Y544ZX/ref=sspa_mw_detail_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A6Y0R5B75S7E0
$445 https://www.amazon.com/Makita-LC1230-Metal-Cutting-Saw/dp/B00004YOLV

Those saws seem really neat but it seems like every youtuber* that's gotten one has almost immediately wrecked the blade and replacements aren't cheap.

*even the semi-competent ones

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
For what it's worth, I got a 14in abrasive chop saw years ago and... Wasn't impressed. Those carbide saws are likely way better but holy crap the prices.

Meanwhile I've been almost perfectly happy with my 4x6 HF metal bandsaw, that cost $260 without coupons. It's kinda slow compared to the other options but for a non professional fabricator it's fine. I've cut up to 6" wide 1in plate with it.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
I have one of those cheap evolution saws. no issue with the blade but it's a carbide tipped saw used for metal cutting so obviously you need to be pretty gentle with it. It cuts fast but is very loud.

For a bit under twice the price you can get a reasonable bandsaw which might be the more practical option. I kind of regret not doing that because a horizontal bandsaw that can also be used vertically is more versatile and the slower cutting speed isn't much of an issue for occasional use.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've used my harbor freight horizontal bandsaw far more than I expected (and I expected to use it a bunch) and it's been great. The stand sucks but it's easy to create your own or modify a harbor freight cart (which is what I did). It cuts surprisingly straight and you can generally just start it cutting and then walk away so the relatively low cutting speed usually isn't a big deal.

I bent a tooth on my first blade doing some ill advised cutting in vertical mode which resulted in me having to babysit the thing while it cut. I think the replacement got tweaked in my cross country move so I'll probably be buying a new one but a Bosch blade is $11 so no big deal.

E: Open up the access panel covering the worm gear and make sure the gear oil isn't full of grit. Empty, clean, and refill with yellow metal safe gear oil if needed.

Galler fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 12, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Galler posted:

E: Open up the access panel covering the worm gear and make sure the gear oil isn't full of grit. Empty, clean, and refill with yellow metal safe gear oil if needed.

harborfreight_startup_sequence.txt

Seriously....so much of their stuff will last a really long time just doing things like this. I've talked about it in this thread or others in regards to their $11 grinders which I have many of and have been running for years.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Galler posted:

I've used my harbor freight horizontal bandsaw far more than I expected (and I expected to use it a bunch) and it's been great. The stand sucks but it's easy to create your own or modify a harbor freight cart (which is what I did). It cuts surprisingly straight and you can generally just start it cutting and then walk away so the relatively low cutting speed usually isn't a big deal.

I bent a tooth on my first blade doing some ill advised cutting in vertical mode which resulted in me having to babysit the thing while it cut. I think the replacement got tweaked in my cross country move so I'll probably be buying a new one but a Bosch blade is $11 so no big deal.

I wrapped a piece of scrap 14ga solid conductor wire around the handle at the end of the swinging bandsaw bit and found a suitable stack of weight that makes it feed as fast as possible without jamming with the downfeed spring set to a value that barely keeps it on the upright position. In my case this meant a 4lb drilling hammer hung in a loop on the other end of the wire :banjo:

So now on a long cut I just get it started, slip the hammer in the loop and watch it cut while I pour beer in my face hole.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

I found a relatively cheap Last Long Safety Hammer No. 2 on eBay.
So nature took its course.

A cheap hammer gave up its handle for it.
I haven't put in a pin across as I will likely go for a new handle at some point for a more permanent solution, but I wanted to get a better idea of how it felt and looked. But it is definitely secure enough for the time being.
Really the polar opposite of the recent micrometer finds.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Haaarbor Freeeiiight!

Second use. I was sanding the edges of some backing plates on the belt when it came to an instant stop. I didn't notice the back plate/axle carrier popped out like that until after I had checked the belt. I guess I shoulda put the good grease in.

Now to decide if I want to exchange it or what. I'm basically done with what I needed it for on this project. Hate to have a 'new' one sitting on the shelf onl to die on the bathtub curve a year from now when I need it next.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Return it. Buy another a few days before you need it next.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Ask China!

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

My Wiha sale loot came yesterday:

I need to find something to try the ring-lock hex wrenches on...

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Big Taint posted:

Nice haul! I looked around at the sale and didn't end up buying anything, but now of course I see a couple of things in your haul that would've been good purchases.

Pointedly, those nut setters/drivers. Which got me thinking, hey, wait, what's the difference?

Googled it and ... lol: https://wihausa.tools/its-a-nut-drivers-vs-nut-setters/

They say that drivers have handles and setters are used by insertion into power tools (i.e., hex adaptors). And yet they seem to have clearly sold you setters and drivers that are both (their definition of) setters :q:

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I’ve never been a nut driver setter fan, but I think it’s because the only ones I have came in random bit sets and are almost always too small for what I need to do, or not metric enough. I’m hoping that having a bigger variety of sizes will make me more likely to use them.

I do most of my mechanicing on boats these days, so I don’t have the luxury of pulling it into my garage next to the big box, I have to schlep my tools down lovely ramps and rickety docks and then pile them into a boat. I’m always trying to refine my “road box” for maximum utility and minimum weight.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Seems like wrenching on boats is even higher stakes than on cars, too. At least my tools land on dirt or concrete if I drop them.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

kastein posted:

Seems like wrenching on boats is even higher stakes than on cars, too. At least my tools land on dirt or concrete if I drop them.

An important tool is the magnet for fishing out poo poo you dropped into the bilge. I dropped a 17mm combo wrench into a boat with a deep and inaccessible bilge and used the magnet to get it out and also found another 17mm combo wrench that I lost years ago that I didn’t realize went down there. :v:

Edit: crossposting from chat thread:

The check valves came so here’s my tandem compressor rig:

Hoses from each compressor go through check valves and into a T-fitting into the filter/reg then out to the blast cabinet or whatever tool needs 10cfm. Am I missing something obvious? This is just a test fit, I’m going to put it all together with thread sealant.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Big Taint posted:

That's a lot of hex wrenches.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

StormDrain posted:

That reminds me: I bought a jigsaw and it is missing the hex wrench listed on the box. Despite owning five sets of L hex wrenches, two sets of folding hex wrenches, and three sets of socket hexes, I was super annoyed.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Big Taint posted:

I’ve never been a nut driver setter fan, but I think it’s because the only ones I have came in random bit sets and are almost always too small for what I need to do, or not metric enough. I’m hoping that having a bigger variety of sizes will make me more likely to use them.

I do most of my mechanicing on boats these days, so I don’t have the luxury of pulling it into my garage next to the big box, I have to schlep my tools down lovely ramps and rickety docks and then pile them into a boat. I’m always trying to refine my “road box” for maximum utility and minimum weight.
Being too late to jump on the Wiha deal, you set me down the path of looking at KCToolco (I like the Wiha sets, but ~$80 for both is too much for me at the moment for what is distinctively an impulse buy) and then ending up at harbor freight, where I placed an order for a bunch of things I've been meaning to grab, including a canopy to work under while I finish my jeep, wire wheels, a new box cutter, etc. Hilariously, the nutsetters (as they're Bauer branded) were the only item I couldn't hit with a coupon.

Big Taint posted:

An important tool is the magnet for fishing out poo poo you dropped into the bilge. I dropped a 17mm combo wrench into a boat with a deep and inaccessible bilge and used the magnet to get it out and also found another 17mm combo wrench that I lost years ago that I didn’t realize went down there. :v:

Edit: crossposting from chat thread:

The check valves came so here’s my tandem compressor rig:

Hoses from each compressor go through check valves and into a T-fitting into the filter/reg then out to the blast cabinet or whatever tool needs 10cfm. Am I missing something obvious? This is just a test fit, I’m going to put it all together with thread sealant.
I don't know enough to know if this is a good idea, but I'm excited to see the results. I've been pondering building something like this for off-roading - there have been times where there are 5-6 vehicles sitting around which all have compressors, none of which are adequate to the air tool we're trying to run to fix one of them. I've been imagining a block which connects all of them and allows greater CFM than any compressor independently.

The only idea which occurs to me, I believe you've handled - the check valves prevent backflow from one compressor into another, yes?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

StormDrain posted:

I know how to party.

Krakkles posted:

The only idea which occurs to me, I believe you've handled - the check valves prevent backflow from one compressor into another, yes?

Correct, and they will allow me to disconnect either compressor and it'll still work. You can get cheap manifold blocks with many holes in them if you want to hook up more.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I think my car's trunk is a white hole for all the world's missing 10mm sockets. These are all the spares I found floating around as orphans. Either that or I buy socket sets like they're disposable. No, no, definitely a quantum physics anomaly.

I also have an unreasonable number of spare 3/8 sockets and 13mm.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

You are the chosen one.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I need a half decent rivet tool, the Wilko's £10 one I bought 10 years ago has bought the farm. I'd also like a rivnut set, M6 to M10 recommendations on both?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Any recommendations for a small/precision screwdriver set? My harbor freight set is juuuuuunk

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

cakesmith handyman posted:

I need a half decent rivet tool, the Wilko's £10 one I bought 10 years ago has bought the farm. I'd also like a rivnut set, M6 to M10 recommendations on both?
Astro makes really good stuff, and I know a couple of mechanics who swear by their rivnut tool.

Arson Daily posted:

Any recommendations for a small/precision screwdriver set? My harbor freight set is juuuuuunk
Wera.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not going to claim this is better than Wera, but I have these, given as a gift to me, and I would gladly pay $20 for them. The case is crap but the driver and bits are really well made.

https://www.amazon.com/Nanch-Precision-Screwdriver-Smartphone-Electronics/dp/B00QZLV03O

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Wiha are nice if you need to reach but a bit set is a lot cheaper. I like my ifixit kits https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/Toolkits

Galler fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 17, 2020

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I got a Wiha tiny screwdriver/bit set and it's really nice.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Cheers thanks!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Wiha, Wera, Felo. I've got a full Wiha precision set, a dozen or more Wihas, and a bunch of generic sets. The Weras are my favorite for the handle shape, but the new Wihas are really nice with the caps marked with the size and style. The iFixit Mako/Manta sets aren't bad for what they cost.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I don't normally recommend Menards, but I like their Masterforce brand 6 piece screwdriver set. Acetate handles are my favorite, plenty of grip and they don't get gummy like rubberized handles.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, with tool storage, more small drawers is better than fewer big ones, every time.

This is from a page ago, but I strongly disagree:

Especially if you can get dividers:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nah, that's actually in line with my thinking - small as in depth. Width / length should be as large as possible given other constraints, but drawers that are way deeper than the tools that go into them just serve to catch crap. The difference between a cheap 26" toolbox and a nice 26" toolbox isn't the width of the drawers, it's how many drawers there are for the height of the box.

Your truck setup is loving awesome and it looks like in most cases your tools are only one layer deep in a given drawer.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Crotch Fruit posted:

I don't normally recommend Menards, but I like their Masterforce brand 6 piece screwdriver set. Acetate handles are my favorite, plenty of grip and they don't get gummy like rubberized handles.

Is this a scam where they are all 3 inches long and tiny?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

Is this a scam where they are all 3 inches long and tiny?
Yes, they are precision screw drivers and sized small for that purpose. Not sure if it's a scam, I thought precision screw drivers were usually short to prevent over torquing. Actually, I'm not even sure screw driver torque works that way, does a long reach screw driver create more torque than a stubby screw driver if everything else is the same?

That said, I only wish the Menards set had a proper case since I like using them better than any other precision screwdriver set I have bought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Torque applied to an object is measured a s Torque=Force*Distance. Distance is defined as the location the force is applied from the axis of rotation. For screwdrivers, this would be defined by the grip diameter, not driver length. Though, the more fingers you can leverage for turning, the more torque you can apply. So it's not entirely true.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 17, 2020