Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Steakandchips posted:

I switch input sources a lot, e.g. from HDMI1 for my laptop to HDMI2 for my desktop, or Displayport to DVI.

I have a Dell U2311H and a Acer XV272U. Both require 3 or 4 clicks of physical buttons on the monitors themselves to switch input source.

I want to replace the Dell U2311H with a new monitor.

Criteria required:

2560x1440 or bigger.
27".
IPS.
60Hz or higher. 120hz is a plus.
VRR not important, but would be nice to have.
Input interfaces: HDMI, DP at least. USB-C would be a plus.
and the most important: 1 click to switch between input source.
Nice to have: a remote to switch input source.

Any recommendations? I'm in the UK.

Use a software tool to switch inputs. Ddcctl for Linux, there’s a MacOS recompilation of it, and for Windows there’s a few (I forget the one I use but it’s important that it be command line usable.)

Then combine with software like Autohotkey or Karabiner to set up a keyboard hot key (I double tap numlock) to trigger the appropriate command(s).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

I was very skeptical about OLEDs, mainly due to size and burn-in, but after seeing one in person I’m not even considering any other technology for entertainment (movie/streaming/gaming) purposes as my next screen. Even if burn-in makes it useless after a year or two, it’d still be worth it.

The LG 48CX will be out this month, still too big but other than that I’m convinced it’ll be a game changer. It makes all the „best in class“ 1440p/144Hz IPS panels look absolutely horrible in comparison.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

eames posted:

I was very skeptical about OLEDs, mainly due to size and burn-in, but after seeing one in person I’m not even considering any other technology for entertainment (movie/streaming/gaming) purposes as my next screen. Even if burn-in makes it useless after a year or two, it’d still be worth it.

The LG 48CX will be out this month, still too big but other than that I’m convinced it’ll be a game changer. It makes all the „best in class“ 1440p/144Hz IPS panels look absolutely horrible in comparison.

Completely agreed about OLED, that's why I have a secondary OLED just for PC/PS4 gaming and movies. And the GSync is just insanely awesome icing on the cake.

The burn in tech on the 9 series (and presumably X series) is super good btw.

People on r/OLED have been buying open box 9 series models with thousands of floor hours, showing the same poo poo hour after hour, with no burn in whatsoever.

That's the funny thing about burn-in, it takes a while to know how good the new prevention tech is until it's been in the wild for a while, so we haven't really known how much the new measures on the 9 series worked until recently. The final answer appears to be "really, really loving good".

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Now if only they'd make them in a reasonable computer size, rather than 40"+. I can't fit that poo poo on my desk!

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

DrDork posted:

Now if only they'd make them in a reasonable computer size, rather than 40"+. I can't fit that poo poo on my desk!

The answer, as always, is to just get a bigger desk.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

After over 10 years on a 30" 2560x1600 Dell, I am convinced that specific PPI is perfect for me. As a result, a 4K/144Hz OLED at 43" would be an instant buy for me.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Over 10 years? And I thought I was crazy for still using my U3011s. I've been waiting for years for the perfect replacement but it seems like it will never happen. All the things I want in a monitor exist, but not in the same monitor, is there some reason for that?
3840x1600
IPS or OLED
120Hz+ refresh
Freesync
Curved
USB-c connector

The thing that baffles me is there are 144Hz 4k displays but nothing with even 120Hz at the lower resolution. I could compromise and get the 34GK950F-B but it's low res and missing a USB-c connector to plug in and charge my laptop for when I don't need the power of my desktop.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Doesn't the 38" LG Gsync monitor have usb-c? At least it is very expensive.

I used my 30" IPS for 12 years. Lots of crazy people out there.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Ihmemies posted:

Doesn't the 38" LG Gsync monitor have usb-c? At least it is very expensive.

I used my 30" IPS for 12 years. Lots of crazy people out there.
the 38GL950G-B? It doesn't, and I'm looking for a Freesync display instead because I'm one of those idiots who buys AMD cards.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

butt dickus posted:

Over 10 years? And I thought I was crazy for still using my U3011s. I've been waiting for years for the perfect replacement but it seems like it will never happen. All the things I want in a monitor exist, but not in the same monitor, is there some reason for that?
3840x1600
IPS or OLED
120Hz+ refresh
Freesync
Curved
USB-c connector

The thing that baffles me is there are 144Hz 4k displays but nothing with even 120Hz at the lower resolution. I could compromise and get the 34GK950F-B but it's low res and missing a USB-c connector to plug in and charge my laptop for when I don't need the power of my desktop.

This list is not possible because the format of DP over USB-C doesn't have enough bandwidth to do all that. Maybe in future revisions but they do not exist right now. The LG 38GL950-G is the closest thing to what you want, and all-around probably the best gaming monitor right now (until next-gen GPUs hit and you can properly drive the LG OLEDs), but it's hideously expensive for what it is.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

butt dickus posted:

3840x1600
IPS or OLED
120Hz+ refresh
Freesync
Curved
USB-c connector

Yeah, right now only business-class monitors (and not many, at that) include USB-PD ports, which is what you'd need to charge your laptop. That generally doesn't mesh well with 120+Hz. OLED is quite possibly never really going to happen. So, yeah, you're pretty much SOL.

I don't think it's out yet, but LG has something coming out (when? who knows!) that would at least hit pretty much everything except your USB-C/PD ask: 38WN950.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

K8.0 posted:

This list is not possible because the format of DP over USB-C doesn't have enough bandwidth to do all that. Maybe in future revisions but they do not exist right now. The LG 38GL950-G is the closest thing to what you want, and all-around probably the best gaming monitor right now (until next-gen GPUs hit and you can properly drive the LG OLEDs), but it's hideously expensive for what it is.
That makes sense. I don't expect my laptop to drive it at more than 60Hz (30 is more likely), I wanted it more so I could use the monitor like a KVM switch that also charges. I would probably spend $2000 on a monitor that ticks all my boxes.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
My current pc uses an i7-7700 with a 1070 and 16gb of RAM, and I usually play stuff at high/ultra at 1080p. May need to get a new monitor this year for another pc in the house, so I'm considering upgrading my 24" 1080p 60hz panel to something more useful for gaming and tossing my current vanilla Dell one onto that. I keep running into rotten reviews every time I dig into it over the past year or two, so is there a goon recommended monitor that ticks these boxes:

1440p
G-Sync
24~ inches, though I wouldn't mind going bigger.

I'm not sure if refresh rate matters all that much if I'm using G-Sync, but if it does I've only ever had 60hz panels so I wouldn't mind being in the 120hz club.

I've looked into the Acer Predator multiple times, but I keep seeing people bitch about it online, so I thought I'd ask what folks here might use. Thanks for any input!

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 16, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

You should probably buy one of the 27" 1440p 144hz IPS Freesync monitors that everyone else is buying these days. Nvidia has supported Freesync on 10 series and newer GPUs for a while now, and good monitors work fine. That said, because of the WFH push with coronavirus, prices are a bit high and availability is a bit low, so now is not a great time to go monitor shopping just because you need one down the line.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

butt dickus posted:

3840x1600
IPS or OLED
120Hz+ refresh
Freesync
Curved
USB-c connector

Yeah I've been stuck on my 24" Dell for years because what I really wanted didn't exist. And still doesn't. And I don't even care about curved or usb-c. But I think with the new Ryzen and whatever Intel manages to come up with, I'll probably finally build a new PC (to upgrade from Ivy Bridge lol) and will pull the trigger on whatever comes closest because poo poo's getting ridiculous.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

K8.0 posted:

You should probably buy one of the 27" 1440p 144hz IPS Freesync monitors that everyone else is buying these days. Nvidia has supported Freesync on 10 series and newer GPUs for a while now, and good monitors work fine. That said, because of the WFH push with coronavirus, prices are a bit high and availability is a bit low, so now is not a great time to go monitor shopping just because you need one down the line.

Oh, cool, I had no idea Freesync worked on Nvidia cards now. I assume that also works on 20– cards too, right? Has Freesync just become the new standard, are they supporting it going forward?

Whatever monitor I buy I’ll wanna use on my next system and am likely to upgrade sometime in 2021 once everything settles down after the new consoles launch and I can get something to run next gen stuff at the performance I’m used to. Probably will stay with Intel and Nvidia, I’ve not had any issues with them so far.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

Oh, cool, I had no idea Freesync worked on Nvidia cards now. I assume that also works on 20– cards too, right? Has Freesync just become the new standard, are they supporting it going forward?

Whatever monitor I buy I’ll wanna use on my next system and am likely to upgrade sometime in 2021 once everything settles down after the new consoles launch and I can get something to run next gen stuff at the performance I’m used to. Probably will stay with Intel and Nvidia, I’ve not had any issues with them so far.

Yes, Nvidia is supporting it going forward, but they are also still making some gsync monitors, although they're really not price competitive. If you want an idea of what people are buying, right now most people are buying the LG 27GL83A which comes in stock for like 5 minutes at random times for $373 or so.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm really happy with my new monitor, but it is definitely making me feel like I need to upgrade my GPU. The 1060 6GB I've been using for the last 3+ years is a great card, but it really isn't strong enough to handle 1440p at the quality I would like.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Someone in my household coughed sugary tea all over my monitor and tried wiping it off with a paper towel, smearing it all over. How do I properly clean it off at this point?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Wet paper towels will do fine, at least high quality ones like Bounty. It's just glass (or sometimes plexiglass), the only thing you need to do is NOT let water work its way into the edges, especially the bottom obviously.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Okay, thanks; a damp paper towel followed by a dry one got it clean. Good to know it was so simple.

And now I notice a dead pixel near the bottom corner. Certainly unrelated, but at least it's relatively inconspicuous.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
And now you will never not notice it, have fun with that!

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

K8.0 posted:

buying the LG 27GL83A which comes in stock for like 5 minutes at random times for $373 or so.

This is not an exaggeration in case anyone might have thought so.

Meaty Ore posted:

Someone in my household coughed sugary tea all over my monitor and tried wiping it off with a paper towel, smearing it all over. How do I properly clean it off at this point?
For the future: a damp microfiber cloth is the cures-all for flatpanel monitors. If they have a coating this is the safest thing for it. (Cleaners can damage the coating, scratchy paper products can leave (tiny, but eventually visible) damage.)

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 07:10 on May 17, 2020

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
I've been using a pair of Samsung 23" 1080p monitors for like ten years now, and I just upgraded my video card to a 2070S and want something more modern for my primary monitor, probably 1440p. I'm mostly concerned with gaming performance but I'm not looking to pay top dollar.

I also frequently use Steam streaming to stream games to my living room 4K TV, so I'd prefer to stick with something 16:9 for the monitor to avoid having to deal with resolution shenanigans while streaming. I have a 36" ultrawide at work that I really like and might even want to game that way, but I really don't want to have to fiddle with resolution settings each time I try to play on my TV.

Any recommendations for this scenario?

Edit: Alternately, are there affordable decent-ish 4K monitors in the upper 2X" or lower 3X" classes?

bgreman fucked around with this message at 12:51 on May 17, 2020

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

FRINGE posted:

For the future: a damp microfiber cloth is the cures-all for flatpanel monitors. If they have a coating this is the safest thing for it. (Cleaners can damage the coating, scratchy paper products can leave (tiny, but eventually visible) damage.)
A clean 100% cotton wash cloth works in a pinch too, gently wipe it dry to clean off dust or damp to clean off anything else.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
You can get monitor cleaning fluid (yes, tap water works if it's all you have) and a microfiber cloth for under $10 on Amazon. It's worth it to pick one up and keep it around.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone here using the Acer Predator XB273KGP, which is the 4K 120hz IPS display of theirs? Is good? Or does it have the typical Acer issues?

--edit: Same goes for the XV273K, which is the Freesync one.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 17, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

bgreman posted:

I've been using a pair of Samsung 23" 1080p monitors for like ten years now, and I just upgraded my video card to a 2070S and want something more modern for my primary monitor, probably 1440p. I'm mostly concerned with gaming performance but I'm not looking to pay top dollar.

I also frequently use Steam streaming to stream games to my living room 4K TV, so I'd prefer to stick with something 16:9 for the monitor to avoid having to deal with resolution shenanigans while streaming. I have a 36" ultrawide at work that I really like and might even want to game that way, but I really don't want to have to fiddle with resolution settings each time I try to play on my TV.

Any recommendations for this scenario?

Edit: Alternately, are there affordable decent-ish 4K monitors in the upper 2X" or lower 3X" classes?

LG 27GL83A, $370ish, linked in the post above yours. It's the best deal (sometimes) available right now.

4k gaming monitors aren't a real thing yet. Maybe in 6-12 months the first good ones show up, but they'll be really overpriced for a while.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anyone here using the Acer Predator XB273KGP, which is the 4K 120hz IPS display of theirs? Is good? Or does it have the typical Acer issues?

--edit: Same goes for the XV273K, which is the Freesync one.

There are no 4k gaming monitors that are really worth buying yet. The monitors aren't particularly good, they're very niche products with lots of limitations and compromises, largely because HDMI 2.1 and DP 1.4 don't have enough bandwidth for them. Maybe in 6-12 months the first ones start showing up. Alternatively, buy an LG OLED and wait for HDMI 2.1 GPUs to come out. There is a goon who has had I think an XV273K for a few years, and while he's happy enough with it I don't think he's ever recommended anyone else to buy one.

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

How do y’all feel about the Dell 43 inch for mostly (vast majority) coding but a bit of gaming?

Dell UltraSharp 43 4K USB-C Monitor: U4320Q

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-ultrasharp-43-4k-usb-c-monitor-u4320q/apd/210-avke/monitors-monitor-accessories

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'm pretty happy with my 43" Dell, even for gaming (but avoid fullscreen FPS because I get motion sickness from it - generally end up with a window that's more equal to an ultrawide 32-34"). Seems they fixed the major annoyance I've had with mine on the newer model, namely lack of height adjustment on the standard stand, so that's definitely a plus.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It's really expensive, but it is a premium monitor so it's not outrageous.

On the other hand, if you don't care about money and you want an ultrapremium experience on a tool for making money with, maybe you should consider waiting for the LG 48CX TV? OLED black levels would make for some juicy low eye strain, letting you run really low brightness without bad contrast, and then burnout would probably not be a significant concern.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Is there anything bad about this monitor? Seems like all I would need for gaming in the foreseeable future, and it's cheaper than a lot of the other monitors people are talking about.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/acer/vg271up

The review hits it for having bad ergonomics but right now I'm using a small TV/Monitor so this seems like a great, reasonably priced upgrade for me.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It's not a bad monitor, and when you could get it for $50-75 less than the 27GL83A it was worth considering if you were willing to give up response time in order to not have to gamble on returning a Nixeus EDG-27, but when you're only saving $25... I personally couldn't justify it. The LG has literally half the pixel response time, that's a pretty significant bump in performance.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Got my 27LG83A this afternoon. Ordered it a week ago and just put up on my monitor arm and checking things out but so far not seeing any stuck/dead pixels.

Edit: Oh, almost forgot. The AC adapter for it is crazy short. That's maybe my one negative so far.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 18, 2020

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

K8.0 posted:

It's not a bad monitor, and when you could get it for $50-75 less than the 27GL83A it was worth considering if you were willing to give up response time in order to not have to gamble on returning a Nixeus EDG-27, but when you're only saving $25... I personally couldn't justify it. The LG has literally half the pixel response time, that's a pretty significant bump in performance.

Yeah I've done more looking around and it really seems like the LG 27GL83A is what I want for features and price. The only problem is availability, where can I get it for MSRP and/or is there a similarly featured monitor with a higher price that I could actually get my hands on?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Dracula Factory posted:

Yeah I've done more looking around and it really seems like the LG 27GL83A is what I want for features and price. The only problem is availability, where can I get it for MSRP and/or is there a similarly featured monitor with a higher price that I could actually get my hands on?

Unfortunately the 27GL83A is an Amazon exclusive. So you're stuck with using things like NowInStock or hovering on the page for stock refreshes when Amazon proper puts them up.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
I need some help distinguishing between 2 Acer models that are nightmarishly similar in name.

Acer Predator XB273K Sbmiprzx $849.99

Acer Predator XB273K GPbmiipprzx $699.99

For some reason, the top one is about $150 more expensive at Microcenter, but it seems to be worse across the board and I can't figure out why it's more expensive.

They both have the same screen size, the same resolution, the same panel type (IPS) but the cheaper one is 144hz vs 120hz for the more expensive one, and the cheaper one has 1ms response time vs 4ms for the more expensive one.

The cheaper one has twice as many inputs as the more expensive one. They both support G-Sync. They both do HDR (assuming poorly)

Is the less expensive one just newer and somehow supporting better features at a lower cost?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
no, and I'm too pissed to unravel the difference, but Acer deliberately does this to be confusing and there probably is a difference.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I checked on Acer's site and the drat things look identical. Nothing on their site provided a clue as to why the one with what looks like slightly worse specs is more expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
you need to look at something like displayspecifications.com