Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
We feed our cats around 7-7:15. Every day around 4:30-5, my one cat starts going nuts. He'll go around being as annoying as possible, gnawing on things (making this un-ignorable "rahr rahr rahr" noise as he gnaws on anything hard plastic), jumping around places he knows he shouldn't be, clawing at furniture, etc. The worst is that if I'm sitting in the kitchen, he'll jump up and grab me with his paws, claws out. It hurts like hell. I yell "OW!" but he won't stop. I can't even relax in my own freaking apartment. And the kitchen thing doesn't matter - any time I'm there, he thinks it's wet food time, unless it's within an hour after he already ate.

It's a small apartment so I can't even quarantine him during the times he's most annoying or whenever I sit at the kitchen table, because my only option is my bedroom where he doesn't have food/water/litter and will probably knock over things.

I've thought about moving his wet food time to around noon, but even though I work from home in Normal Times, I can't guarantee I'll always be home for lunch in Post-Pandemic times. He was never this annoying before we were quarantined aside from maybe a half hour before wet food. Like I said, I can't even relax because he'll jump on me and dig his claws in. He doesn't mean to hurt me, it's more of a grab/slap.

Any advice on making him stop? He's such a mush when he's not being annoying for attention, pretty much the perfect cat otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

“Ow” wasn’t working to stop my cat from using his claws, but he apparently grasped the meaning of “No!” just fine. Maybe try that?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

My cats were doing this for a bit until I upped the amount of wet food I was feeding them. Didn't change feeding time, just gave them a little more.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Our one cat ET was getting too fat so we've been limiting his diet. If he starts going crazy before a meal time if I pick him up and hold him like a baby for a little while he calms down until it's actually meal time.
He's down from 20 lbs to 17.8 lbs now. He actually has a neck again instead of linebacker shoulders and can clean his butt properly.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

One of my roommates' cats was like that, absolutely food crazy. You couldn't free-feed him cuz he'd eat it all and gain tons of weight. I resolved to never have a cat we didn't free feed to keep them from getting food time obsessed.

So, sorry, I don't really have a solution. We were never able to stop that cat from obsessing over food. The only way she could sleep at night was by locking him in the bathroom so he didn't wake her up with his constant noise that started around 4 AM. It didn't teach him anything - he just continued to beg until he finally got fed.

During this we also learned that one of my cats has extreme anxiety issues if he DOESN'T always have food available, even though he doesn't overeat. So I also resolved to never have a roommate with another cat unless I already know they'll get along with each other.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 10, 2020

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My cat has a tendency to pick up dry food in his mouth, chomp on it a bit, then shake his head and send it flying everywhere. Is this a known problem? Is it his teeth or something? This isn't a new development, he's kinda always done this, at least for the past 5 years I've had him.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

HungryMedusa posted:

I read the OP and I get it, but is two really better than one? My husband is mildly allergic to cats. Will two be a lot worse than one in that regard? I don't think so; we know people with allergies and multiple cats, and we plan on grooming, vacuuming a lot; I will probably buy a HEPA filter for the living room and I am prepared to rip the carpet up, possibly even this weekend. Is one kitten doomed to be a lonely jerk, even with a playful doofus dog and pre-teen to play with?

Make sure your vacuum has a HEPA filter as well, otherwise you’re just gonna kick the particles back into the air when you vacuum.

My girlfriend is very allergic, so I vacuum every other day, put allerpet on my cat, get him a lion cut once a month to reduce shedding, and have an air purifier in each room with a powerful one in my living room where we are the most.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pollyanna posted:

My cat has a tendency to pick up dry food in his mouth, chomp on it a bit, then shake his head and send it flying everywhere. Is this a known problem? Is it his teeth or something? This isn't a new development, he's kinda always done this, at least for the past 5 years I've had him.

Mel used to do this when I fed her dry. Now I feed her wet and instead half the time she decides instead of just eating out of her bowl she'll pick it up with her paw, drop it on the carpet, and then eat it off the carpet leaving a nice stain.

Cats gonna cat.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Pollyanna posted:

I wonder if it's like a prey thing, where the cat would shake the animal it caught to break its neck.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sydin posted:

Mel used to do this when I fed her dry. Now I feed her wet and instead half the time she decides instead of just eating out of her bowl she'll pick it up with her paw, drop it on the carpet, and then eat it off the carpet leaving a nice stain.

Cats gonna cat.

In my experience, when Sweetheart does that, it's because the chunk in question was too big to eat in one bite.

loaf
Jan 25, 2004

pairofdimes posted:

I wonder if it's like a prey thing, where the cat would shake the animal it caught to break its neck.

Our new foster cat does that when she's playing with her catnip banana and I can't decide if it's cute or creepy.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So Ruthie has gotten a lot more hyper since being spayed and I’m confused because everything I read said she was suppose to mellow out. She was already pretty mellow before but mellow would definitely not be a word I use to describe her anymore. On a scale of 1-10, she used to be like a 3 on being hyper but now she’s turned it up to 11. She’s jumping up to places she’s never jumped up to before and knocking stuff down. She started jumping into my house plants into the decorative planters. Also, she’s somehow decided that she wants to be an Olympic high jumper because now she jumps out of the same little box she used to calmly walk out making a mess everywhere.

Well poo poo, now that I write this I see that all of these have one thing in common: she’s jumping up onto them to hang out and play so I’m going to order a tree today and just deal with moving it later. I thought the sofa and window ledges would he enough for now.

Still though why is she more hyper now after being spayed? Is that normal?

E: Whenever I measure food out for them in the morning Ruthie always comes over and starts meowing softly. She doesn’t wake me up with meowing and she doesn’t meow for food randomly… she just sees me in the kitchen with a scale and her food and gets excited I guess. That’s all fine and I’ve been completely ignoring her when I do this to not give her any encouragement but now Molly has learned to do it too. This might be the first time I’ve ever heard Molly meow to be honest. So now they both come into the kitchen and meow as I’m measuring out food for them. Is there a way to train them to not do this? It’s cute now but could get really annoying if they start meowing more often like to wake me up or when they see me eating.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 11:55 on May 11, 2020

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Boris Galerkin posted:

So Ruthie has gotten a lot more hyper since being spayed and I’m confused because everything I read said she was suppose to mellow out. She was already pretty mellow before but mellow would definitely not be a word I use to describe her anymore. On a scale of 1-10, she used to be like a 3 on being hyper but now she’s turned it up to 11. She’s jumping up to places she’s never jumped up to before and knocking stuff down. She started jumping into my house plants into the decorative planters. Also, she’s somehow decided that she wants to be an Olympic high jumper because now she jumps out of the same little box she used to calmly walk out making a mess everywhere.

Well poo poo, now that I write this I see that all of these have one thing in common: she’s jumping up onto them to hang out and play so I’m going to order a tree today and just deal with moving it later. I thought the sofa and window ledges would he enough for now.

Still though why is she more hyper now after being spayed? Is that normal?

Aleta stayed exactly as kitten-wild as she was before, with the added bonus of tripling her length and weight in a single month after the drat surgery. We had to put cinderblocks on the cat castle.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Aleta stayed exactly as kitten-wild as she was before, with the added bonus of tripling her length and weight in a single month after the drat surgery. We had to put cinderblocks on the cat castle.

I need to get cinderblocks to weigh down this stationary spinning feather toy because Ruthie has decided the proper way to play with it is to bite the feather and then drag the entire thing around the apartment (I stepped out to toss out their poo poo/piss and when I came back it was in Ruthie’s litter box???) and Molly is surprisingly strong or doesn’t show any restraint when playing with it and she constantly flips the thing over.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I need to get cinderblocks to weigh down this stationary spinning feather toy because Ruthie has decided the proper way to play with it is to bite the feather and then drag the entire thing around the apartment (I stepped out to toss out their poo poo/piss and when I came back it was in Ruthie’s litter box???) and Molly is surprisingly strong or doesn’t show any restraint when playing with it and she constantly flips the thing over.

Aleta is still confused as to why she cannot fit into the crack she used to hide in. At least once a week, she runs up to it and then stops, looking totally flummoxed.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Aleta is still confused as to why she cannot fit into the crack she used to hide in. At least once a week, she runs up to it and then stops, looking totally flummoxed.

Ruthie gained about 1 lb after being spayed (iOS constantly autocorrects this to slay which is kinda hilarious) and seems to be holding steady with the food I'm feeding her. She's really tiny at just under 7 lbs but I just brought her back to the vet, hopefully for the last time, to finish up her vaccines and they said she's at a proper weight for her size. Molly is making progress losing weight too and her sides don't bulge out anymore and I've seen that she's grooming her upper-sides/back more now :3:. Their difference in frame is super noticeable when they are sitting next to each other and I wonder if that's just because Molly was properly nourished as a house cat while Ruthie probably didn't eat too much after her momma kicked her out.

Speaking of sitting next to each other, it seems like they are getting better at communicating with each other. One of the things I was worried about was that Molly was too passive/much of a pushover cause she'd hiss at Ruthie and Ruthie would keep doing her thing/advancing which made Molly run away. Ruthie seems to be getting the message and now she stops and lays down a bit. I can feed them treats out of the same hand at the same time now so they don't mind bumping into each other's face too much. I even saw Molly sniffing Ruthie's butt the other day during treat/bonding time :3:.

I changed a couple of things since last post: I don't let Ruthie come into my room when I'm sleeping anymore so that Molly can feel more relaxed in her space at night and I stopped giving either of them treats unless they both got them. Ruthie seems to get it and now sits there waiting for Molly to come. Sometimes she doesn't come and I put the treats away which makes me feel bad a little bit but it seems to be working.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 11, 2020

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

A couple weeks ago I made a post about my cat Cora getting black spots in her mouth.

My wife thinks they are getting bigger. Here's two quick videos of the spots and the wierd jaw clicking she does.

The spot appears on the roof of her mouth and on upper gums, and it looks? A bit swollen. But to be fair I don't look in her mouth that often so I'm not sure if the roof of a cats mouth normally has a bump.

https://youtu.be/DAfUjqP5Q90

https://youtu.be/6aJRIGmeBCU

My vet is still closed. But if anyone thinks it could be something bad, there is another place further away I could bring her.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I think I’ve trained my cats to recognize their names. I started with teaching them a click = food and then changed the click to their names when they got the idea.

Molly picked it up immediately and will look at me/my hands when she hears her name. I guess it’s possible that she’s just looking over because I made a sound.

Ruthie on the other hand I’m 100% sure of. If I’m in the other room and call her she responds with a weird sound and runs over to me. She doesn’t do this when I say any other name or random words.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

rear end in a top hat doesn't come when we call his name but he will mosey in at a brisk pace if either of us call for Bean

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

LeninVS posted:

A couple weeks ago I made a post about my cat Cora getting black spots in her mouth.

My wife thinks they are getting bigger. Here's two quick videos of the spots and the wierd jaw clicking she does.

The spot appears on the roof of her mouth and on upper gums, and it looks? A bit swollen. But to be fair I don't look in her mouth that often so I'm not sure if the roof of a cats mouth normally has a bump.

My vet is still closed. But if anyone thinks it could be something bad, there is another place further away I could bring her.

Jaw chattering can be a sign of discomfort. It's possible there's some sort of gum or tooth trouble happening that's causing inflammation in nearby areas?

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

LeninVS posted:

It's probably not an urgent issue but depending on how long your vet will be closed, you might wanna go to the other place. If nothing else maybe you can try some pain med like gabapentin or something?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Is this black stuff in my cat’s nose something I should worry about?

It’s been there for a few days now. It’s dry but comes off and doesn’t look like dried blood. I heard her sneeze once this morning but other than that everything is normal.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is this black stuff in my cat’s nose something I should worry about?

It’s been there for a few days now. It’s dry but comes off and doesn’t look like dried blood. I heard her sneeze once this morning but other than that everything is normal.

Is cat. Picking the crud from your cats eyes/nose is part of the experience. As they get older you will need to clean up more often. You'll learn the difference between 'normal crud levels' and 'this is not good' over time.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Ratzap posted:

Is cat. Picking the crud from your cats eyes/nose is part of the experience. As they get older you will need to clean up more often. You'll learn the difference between 'normal crud levels' and 'this is not good' over time.

It's this lol

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

An easy way to check if it is dried blood is to get it wet, as it will revert to red when wetted. Damp paper towel will usually take care of eye and nose cruds.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Looks like dried boogers. Older cats tend to get that buildup more than younger cats. Pretty normal. We would gently wash our older cats' faces with a warm damp cloth every week or so to get rid of it.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

She got in a fight with another cat two days ago and is seeming to have some discharge at the left eye now. Easily cleaned away but the blackness around the lid is unusual. Gonna keep checking every hour or so for progression.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

PG-13 SEX DUNGEON posted:

She got in a fight with another cat two days ago and is seeming to have some discharge at the left eye now. Easily cleaned away but the blackness around the lid is unusual. Gonna keep checking every hour or so for progression.

Aw that sucks. Keep a close eye (ha) on it it may end up needing antibiotics

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

We hosed up and started watching some videos for cats on YouTube.
Now every night they have to watch their show.
As soon as somebody sits down on the couch they park their furry butts right in front of the TV until we put it on some mind numbing birds or squirrels for 30 minutes.
:catstare:

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Thumposaurus posted:

We hosed up and started watching some videos for cats on YouTube.
Now every night they have to watch their show.
As soon as somebody sits down on the couch they park their furry butts right in front of the TV until we put it on some mind numbing birds or squirrels for 30 minutes.
:catstare:

That is awesome. My cat never has been interested in the tv other than climbing on top of it for attention

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I've been watching https://www.twitch.tv/crittervision its a backyard cam in the Carolinas with feeders set up so there's; animals on them pretty much 24/7. Geese, deer, squirrels, birds during the day, possums, deer, and hoards of raccoons at night. I put it up on the big TV for a bit but had to stop doing that because the cats were starting to attack it and I don't want it scratched up. Its a good option if you want some nature sounds and always different Cat TV.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Boogalo posted:

I've been watching https://www.twitch.tv/crittervision its a backyard cam in the Carolinas with feeders set up so there's; animals on them pretty much 24/7. Geese, deer, squirrels, birds during the day, possums, deer, and hoards of raccoons at night. I put it up on the big TV for a bit but had to stop doing that because the cats were starting to attack it and I don't want it scratched up. Its a good option if you want some nature sounds and always different Cat TV.

We have a single back window that overlooks a fenced deer path running north/south. Until recently, it has been relatively quiet, because on the other side is a school bus depot. Well, those busses haven't been running for a couple months now, and with the lack of that early morning noise the path is just full of wildlife. Some red foxes run through the tall grass hunting small prey now which is why the normally outdoor cat I posted above has been indoors, whole families of deer, woodchucks (which is worrying because I've had to trap them before in this property), and lots of large wild cats. Last week we had a pair of sandhill cranes. One of our three cats is always perched on this window waiting for these daily parades.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Dixville posted:

That is awesome. My cat never has been interested in the tv other than climbing on top of it for attention

Jimmy never showed any interest in screens, but one time he did get fascinated by the sub next to the TV, when there were some particularly deep voiced actors on screen. I think he thought there were mice in the box

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Bobstar posted:

Jimmy never showed any interest in screens, but one time he did get fascinated by the sub next to the TV, when there were some particularly deep voiced actors on screen. I think he thought there were mice in the box

Lol thats awesome

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Any tips on cats who may be grieving to help get over their loss?

We had to send our cat Fitz to That Great Big Litter Box in the Sky last week, and maybe I'm anthropomorphizing like hell, but I swear my other cat, Smolkat, is depressed. (I could def be projecting my own issues here.) She won't leave our bedroom (whereas she used to always be excited to get out), doesn't sit in the open window even though she used to love watching the birds at the feeder, has no interest in her toys, etc.

I'm a hot mess myself, so have been spending a lot of time just cuddling with her, spoiling her with treats, and nap-time, but I was just wondering if there's anything else I can do.

We opted to bury Fitz on my in-law's farm, and took him from the vet back to the house for a minute so Smolkat could sniff/see his body and understand why he wouldn't be around anymore. Was this a horrible mistake?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
I don't think it was a mistake, and animals clearly do grieve for their lost companions. virtual hugs for you and smolkat <3

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Showing her the dead body is a pretty natural way to handle it, its similar to what would happen in the wild, so you didn't do the wrong thing there. Animals certainly do process grief differently than us, but there's no question they grieve and become depressed for dead/lost companions. Just give her extra love and playtime and she'll bounce back in time. You might also eventually consider a new cat to fill the void, that is enormously helpful (as long as they get along).

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

When Sleek passed away we held a wake in our home shrine room(we're Buddhist) with some of his toys and stuff around and Fyodor came in and hung around and sniffed him while he was laying in state. ET didn't seem interested in coming into the room at the time.
Maybe it helped? Maybe not.
Fyodor and ET were never that close but now they hang out together all the time.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
After years and years of putting it off i finally got a cat at the beginning of quarantine. Now I can't image living without her. She's the best thing in my life and sometimes I almost break down crying because I love her so much

If anyone out there has been waiting to make the cat leap, go for it. It's the best decision you'll ever make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I have some tins of tuna and some tins of foie gras just sitting around that I’m never going to eat. Can I feed these to my cats? I know the tuna should be moderated cause of mercury but I have no idea about the foie gras and everything on the label is French so I don’t understand it. I’d otherwise just toss these in the trash (vegetarian) so if my loss can be their gain that’d be great.