Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cythereal posted:

And Bella seems to have no interests or hobbies outside of getting married and being a good Mormon housewife. She doesn't seem to read, travel, play video games, write, play sports, or do anything that doesn't revolve around supporting her family.

She seems to have never had any aspirations beyond finding a husband who will take care of her.

She does read, but she's only mentioned as being interested in a very small number of books. She's read Wuthering Heights so much that her copy is falling apart but doesn't seem to have learned anything from it. The closest she comes to another "hobby" is her motorcycle, which she dutifully admits to being part of her dangerous flirtation with a hot-blooded Native and willingly surrenders for her love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Quileute have a fundraising campaign to move their school to higher ground to protect against storm flooding if anyone can donate!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

There's also the fact that immortal toddlers were very hard to destroy or contain because the maternal and paternal instincts they awoke in vampires were strong enough to go past reason. As such, it's valid to consider if an immortal, unaging vampire newborn, relatively helpless and instinct driven as it is, could have a stronger supernatural pull, and if this could be clouding Bella's mind.

The fact that none of that ends up being the case is irrelevant to the moral quandary beforehand, since the accelerated pregnancy leaves very little time for research into what might result. The idea of forcing someone into an abortion is horrific, but so are the alternatives here, and it's crazy that the only rebuttal presented is 'shhh, it'll be fine'. That's not an actual discussion.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PetraCore posted:

There's also the fact that immortal toddlers were very hard to destroy or contain because the maternal and paternal instincts they awoke in vampires were strong enough to go past reason. As such, it's valid to consider if an immortal, unaging vampire newborn, relatively helpless and instinct driven as it is, could have a stronger supernatural pull, and if this could be clouding Bella's mind.

The fact that none of that ends up being the case is irrelevant to the moral quandary beforehand, since the accelerated pregnancy leaves very little time for research into what might result. The idea of forcing someone into an abortion is horrific, but so are the alternatives here, and it's crazy that the only rebuttal presented is 'shhh, it'll be fine'. That's not an actual discussion.

It definitely feels like Meyer was so intensely interested in making this a debate on abortion and pro-choice views that she completely forgot that she was writing supernatural fiction. The only people who are seen as having legitimate concerns about this (as we'll see in the second half of the chapter, especially) are portrayed as the bad guys here.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

chitoryu12 posted:

It definitely feels like Meyer was so intensely interested in making this a debate on abortion and pro-choice views that she completely forgot that she was writing supernatural fiction. The only people who are seen as having legitimate concerns about this (as we'll see in the second half of the chapter, especially) are portrayed as the bad guys here.
If the pregnancy wasn't so accelerated, weirdly I think this would work better. Bella's health wouldn't be crashing nearly as fast and there'd be time to research both what's happening and, well, potential abortion methods.

I heavily suspect Meyer just doesn't find pregnancy or small children very interesting or appealing, so because Twilight is her fantasy the necessary pregnancy descriptions go full horror and everything is on fast forward to get it over with. Notice how quickly Reneesme can express her thoughts and desires!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

I didn’t see any of the vampires. I ignored my bike, standing all alone in the middle of the meadow. It wasn’t fast enough for me now. My dad would be freaked out—Sam, too. What would the pack make of the fact that they hadn’t heard me phase? Would they think the Cullens got me before I’d had the chance? I stripped down, not caring who might be watching, and started running. I blurred into wolf mid-stride.

Just goes buck naked right in front of the entire Cullen family.

quote:

They were waiting. Of course they were.

Jacob, Jake, eight voices chorused in relief.

Come home now, the Alpha voice ordered. Sam was furious.

I felt Paul fade out, and I knew Billy and Rachel were waiting to hear what had happened to me. Paul was too anxious to give them the good news that I wasn’t vampire chow to listen to the whole story.

I didn’t have to tell the pack I was on my way—they could see the forest blurring past me as I sprinted for home. I didn’t have to tell them that I was half-past crazy, either. The sickness in my head was obvious.

They saw all the horror—Bella’s mottled stomach; her raspy voice: he’s strong, that’s all; the burning man in Edward’s face: watching her sicken and waste away… seeing it hurting her; Rosalie crouched over Bella’s limp body: Bella’s life means nothing to her—and for once, no one had anything to say. Their shock was just a silent shout in my head. Wordless.

!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P5qbcRAXVk

quote:

I was halfway home before anyone recovered. Then they all started running to meet me.

It was almost dark—the clouds covered the sunset completely. I risked darting across the freeway and made it without being seen.

We met up about ten miles out of La Push, in a clearing left by the loggers. It was out of the way, wedged between two spurs of the mountain, where no one would see us. Paul found them when I did, so the pack was complete.

The babble in my head was total chaos. Everyone shouting at once.

Sam’s hackles were sticking straight up, and he was growling in an unbroken stream as he paced back and forth around the top of the ring. Paul and Jared moved like shadows behind him, their ears flat against the sides of their head. The whole circle was agitated, on their feet and snarling in low bursts.

Those darn animalistic natives!

quote:

At first their anger was undefined, and I thought I was in for it. I was too messed up to care about that. They could do whatever they wanted to me for circumventing orders.

And then the unfocused confusion of thoughts began to move together.

How can this be? What does it mean? What will it be?

Not safe. Not right. Dangerous. Unnatural. Monstrous. An abomination.

We can’t allow it.

The pack was pacing in synchronization now, thinking in synchronization, all but myself and one other. I sat beside whichever brother it was, too dazed to look over with either my eyes or my mind and see who was next to me, while the pack circled around us.

The treaty does not cover this.

This puts everyone in danger.

I tried to understand the spiraling voices, tried to follow the curling pathway the thoughts made to see where they were leading, but it wasn’t making sense. The pictures in the center of their thoughts were my pictures—the very worst of them. Bella’s bruises, Edward’s face as he burned.

Remember that we're supposed to not be on their side here.

quote:

They fear it, too.

But they won’t do anything about it.

Protecting Bella Swan.

We can’t let that influence us.

The safety of our families, of everyone here, is more important than one human.

If they won’t kill it, we have to.

Protect the tribe.

Protect our families.

We have to kill it before it’s too late.

Another of my memories, Edward’s words this time: The thing is growing. Swiftly.

I struggled to focus, to pick out individual voices.

No time to waste, Jared thought.

It will mean a fight, Embry cautioned. A bad one.

We’re ready, Paul insisted.

We’ll need surprise on our side, Sam thought.

If we catch them divided, we can take them down separately. It will increase our chances of victory, Jared thought, starting to strategize now.

From Meyer's perspective, this is bad. We're supposed to not be on their side. We're supposed to accept Bella's faith that nothing bad will happen and this pregnancy is a good thing that must be saved.

From the actual in-universe perspective, the Cullens are the most dangerous beings in the Pacific Northwest right now. The risk of an immortal child is so extreme that it would be morally correct to abort it. These things wipe out villages. If the Cullens let it loose, the entirety of Forks and La Push could be in danger.

quote:

I shook my head, rising slowly to my feet. I felt unsteady there—like the circling wolves were making me dizzy. The wolf beside me got up, too. His shoulder pushed against mine, propping me up.

Wait, I thought.

The circling paused for one beat, and then they were pacing again.

There’s little time, Sam said.

But—what are you thinking? You wouldn’t attack them for breaking the treaty this afternoon. Now you’re planning an ambush, when the treaty is still intact?

This is not something our treaty anticipated, Sam said. This is a danger to every human in the area. We don’t know what kind of creature the Cullens have bred, but we know that it is strong and fast-growing. And it will be too young to follow any treaty. Remember the newborn vampires we fought? Wild, violent, beyond the reach of reason or restraint. Imagine one like that, but protected by the Cullens.

We don’t know— I tried to interrupt.

We don’t know, he agreed. And we can’t take chances with the unknown in this case. We can only allow the Cullens to exist while we’re absolutely sure that they can be trusted not to cause harm. This… thing cannot be trusted.

Sam is the true hero of this piece.

quote:

They don’t like it any more than we do.

Sam pulled Rosalie’s face, her protective crouch, from my mind and put it on display for everyone.

Some are ready to fight for it, no matter what it is.

It’s just a baby, for crying out loud.

Not for long, Leah whispered.

Also borne out by the evidence! Bella has been pregnant for 7 days and is already basically at the 8 month mark, with the fetus growing so fast and strong that it's injuring her with its kicks. This is such an unexpected variable that the wolves are being very prudent and practical.

quote:

Jake, buddy, this is a big problem, Quil said. We can’t just ignore it.

You’re making it into something bigger than it is, I argued. The only one who’s in danger here is Bella.

Again by her own choice, Sam said. But this time her choice affects us all.

I don’t think so.

We can’t take that chance. We won’t allow a blood drinker to hunt on our lands.

Then tell them to leave
, the wolf who was still supporting me said. It was Seth. Of course.

And inflict the menace on others? When blood drinkers cross our land, we destroy them, no matter where they plan to hunt. We protect everyone we can.

Make Sam the protagonist instead.

quote:

This is crazy, I said. This afternoon you were afraid to put the pack in danger.

This afternoon I didn’t know our families were at risk.

I can’t believe this! How’re you going to kill this creature without killing Bella?

There were no words, but the silence was full of meaning.

I howled. She’s human, too! Doesn’t our protection apply to her?

She’s dying anyway, Leah thought. We’ll just shorten the process.

Note how Jacob has no real concern for the implications of an immortal child and what it could do to their home. He's only against Sam and the rest of the pack because he wants to find a way to let Bella live in spite of the Cullens' dogged refusal to acknowledge that the risk is great enough to overrule Rosalie and Bella. Rosalie herself is obviously only so protective because of her own desire to have a child, left behind and amplified from the circumstances of her murder.

It would be very easy for another writer to turn this on its head and make Jacob the wrong one here. Effortless, in fact.

quote:

That did it. I leaped away from Seth, toward his sister, with my teeth bared. I was about to catch her left hind leg when I felt Sam’s teeth cut into my flank, dragging me back.

I howled in pain and fury and turned on him.

Stop! he ordered in the double timbre of the Alpha.

My legs seemed to buckle under me. I jerked to a halt, only managing to keep on my feet by sheer willpower.

He turned his gaze away from me. You will not be cruel to him, Leah, he commanded her. Bella’s sacrifice is a heavy price, and we will all recognize that. It is against everything we stand for to take a human life. Making an exception to that code is a bleak thing. We will all mourn for what we do tonight.

Tonight? Seth repeated, shocked. Sam—I think we should talk about this some more. Consult with the Elders, at least. You can’t seriously mean for us to—

We can’t afford your tolerance for the Cullens now. There is no time for debate. You will do as you are told, Seth.

Seth’s front knees folded, and his head fell forward under the weight of the Alpha’s command.

Meyer is trying really hard to make Sam seem like the bad guy here and it's just not working. If anything, the Cullens could be considered the villains now for their utter refusal to face the evidence in front of them.

quote:

Sam paced in a tight circle around the two of us.

We need the whole pack for this. Jacob, you are our strongest fighter. You will fight with us tonight. I understand that this is hard for you, so you will concentrate on their fighters—Emmett and Jasper Cullen. You don’t have to be involved with the… other part. Quil and Embry will fight with you.

My knees trembled; I struggled to hold myself upright while the voice of the Alpha lashed at my will.

Paul, Jared, and I will take on Edward and Rosalie. I think, from the information Jacob has brought us, they will be the ones guarding Bella. Carlisle and Alice will also be close, possibly Esme. Brady, Collin, Seth, and Leah will concentrate on them. Whoever has a clear line on—we all heard him mentally stutter over Bella’s name—the creature will take it. Destroying the creature is our first priority.

In case this seems extreme, remember that they've had access to all of Jacob's memories of what just occurred. They've seen how Rosalie is murderously protective of Bella and her impending demon child, and how the rest of the family (Emmett, especially) will fight to the death for her if she enters a battle. Especially with how crazy tense she is right now, even approaching to negotiate would be difficult.

quote:

The pack rumbled in nervous agreement. The tension had everyone’s fur standing on end. The pacing was quicker, and the sound of the paws against the brackish floor was sharper, toenails tearing into the soil.

Only Seth and I were still, the eye in the center of a storm of bared teeth and flattened ears. Seth’s nose was almost touching the ground, bowed under Sam’s commands. I felt his pain at the coming disloyalty. For him this was a betrayal—during that one day of alliance, fighting beside Edward Cullen, Seth had truly become the vampire’s friend.

There was no resistance in him, however. He would obey no matter how much it hurt him. He had no other choice.

And what choice did I have? When the Alpha spoke, the pack followed.

Sam had never pushed his authority this far before; I knew he honestly hated to see Seth kneeling before him like a slave at the foot of his master. He wouldn’t force this if he didn’t believe that he had no other choice. He couldn’t lie to us when we were linked mind to mind like this. He really believed it was our duty to destroy Bella and the monster she carried. He really believed we had no time to waste. He believed it enough to die for it.

Sam is, in fact, a selfless hero working for no purpose other than to save Forks and La Push.

quote:

I saw that he would face Edward himself; Edward’s ability to read our thoughts made him the greatest threat in Sam’s mind. Sam would not let someone else take on that danger.

He saw Jasper as the second-greatest opponent, which is why he’d given him to me. He knew that I had the best chance of any of the pack to win that fight. He’d left the easiest targets for the younger wolves and Leah. Little Alice was no danger without her future vision to guide her, and we knew from our time of alliance that Esme was not a fighter. Carlisle would be more of a challenge, but his hatred of violence would hinder him.

I felt sicker than Seth as I watched Sam plan it out, trying to work the angles to give each member of the pack the best chance of survival.

Everything was inside out. This afternoon, I’d been chomping at the bit to attack them. But Seth had been right—it wasn’t a fight I’d been ready for. I’d blinded myself with that hate. I hadn’t let myself look at it carefully, because I must have known what I would see if I did.

Carlisle Cullen. Looking at him without that hate clouding my eyes, I couldn’t deny that killing him was murder. He was good. Good as any human we protected. Maybe better. The others, too, I supposed, but I didn’t feel as strongly about them. I didn’t know them as well. It was Carlisle who would hate fighting back, even to save his own life. That’s why we would be able to kill him—because he wouldn’t want us, his enemies, to die.

Then Carlisle needs to overrule Bella and Rosalie to stop a murderous vampire baby from destroying Forks!

quote:

This was wrong.

And it wasn’t just because killing Bella felt like killing me, like suicide.

Pull it together, Jacob, Sam ordered. The tribe comes first.

I was wrong today, Sam.

Your reasons were wrong then. But now we have a duty to fulfill.

I braced myself. No.

Sam snarled and stopped pacing in front of me. He stared into my eyes and a deep growl slid between his teeth.

Yes, the Alpha decreed, his double voice blistering with the heat of his authority. There are no loopholes tonight. You, Jacob, are going to fight the Cullens with us. You, with Quil and Embry, will take care of Jasper and Emmett. You are obligated to protect the tribe. That is why you exist. You will perform this obligation.

My shoulders hunched as the edict crushed me. My legs collapsed, and I was on my belly under him.

No member of the pack could refuse the Alpha.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 15, 2020

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

chitoryu12 posted:

Also borne out by the evidence! Bella has been pregnant for 7 days and is already basically at the 8 month mark, with the fetus growing so fast and strong that it's injuring her with its kicks. This is such an unexpected variable that the wolves are being very prudent and practical.

I can't help but wonder if this is wish fulfillment on Meyers' part, skipping how long pregnancy is and all the ugly, uncomfortable, boring parts.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I do kinda like the idea that a bunch of werewolf kids are routinely on the agenda of the reservation's elder meetings. Review of minutes from last month, ongoing concerns about a dilapidated property, grant application to overhaul water system, werewolf update and consideration of claims.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Cythereal posted:

I can't help but wonder if this is wish fulfillment on Meyers' part, skipping how long pregnancy is and all the ugly, uncomfortable, boring parts.

Not to mention all the uncomfortable, frustrating, inconvenient parts of infancy.

Its very much a wish-fulfillment book for moms. Your intuition is always right (and even more accurate than the knowledge of doctors), everyone on the family dotes on you to the point of cheerfully giving you houses, cars, childcare, etc.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'm still cross that she's acting like Alpha wolves are a real thing when that's been essentially disproven. Wolf packs are just familes. Ugh.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Is there anyone in this thread who read this as teens, or have family or friends who did? I’ve read overall descriptions on how some fans reacted to this book, and the pregnancy specifically, but never individuals describing how they took seeing characters they cared about handled this way.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Is there anyone in this thread who read this as teens, or have family or friends who did? I’ve read overall descriptions on how some fans reacted to this book, and the pregnancy specifically, but never individuals describing how they took seeing characters they cared about handled this way.

I read them as a middle schooler/high schooler and liked them well enough for a while. But I don't remember what I actually thought about Breaking Dawn besides it being dumb enough i started seeking out anti-twilight stuff.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chapter 11: Two Things at the Very Top of my Things-I-Never-Want-To-Do List

Kill me.

quote:

Sam started moving the others into formation while I was still on the ground. Embry and Quil were at my sides, waiting for me to recover and take the point.

I could feel the drive, the need, to get on my feet and lead them. The compulsion grew, and I fought it uselessly, cringing on the ground where I was.

Embry whined quietly in my ear. He didn’t want to think the words, afraid that he would bring me to Sam’s attention again. I felt his wordless plea for me to get up, for me to get this over with and be done with it.

There was fear in the pack, not so much for self but for the whole. We couldn’t imagine that we would all make it out alive tonight. Which brothers would we lose? Which minds would leave us forever? Which grieving families would we be consoling in the morning?

You weren't super concerned about that when you first roared up to the Cullen mansion to kill as many of them as possible!

quote:

My mind began to work with theirs, to think in unison, as we dealt with these fears. Automatically, I pushed up from the ground and shook out my coat.

Embry and Quil huffed in relief. Quil touched his nose to my side once.

Their minds were filled with our challenge, our assignment. We remembered together the nights we’d watched the Cullens practicing for the fight with the newborns. Emmett Cullen was strongest, but Jasper would be the bigger problem. He moved like a lightning strike—power and speed and death rolled into one. How many centuries’ experience did he have? Enough that all the other Cullens looked to him for guidance.

Actually Jasper only spent like 70 years fighting.

quote:

I’ll take point, if you want flank, Quil offered. There was more excitement in his mind than most of the others. When Quil had watched Jasper’s instruction those nights, he’d been dying to test his skill against the vampire’s. For him, this would be a contest. Even knowing it was his life on the line, he saw it that way. Paul was like that, too, and the kids who had never been in battle, Collin and Brady. Seth probably would’ve been the same—if the opponents were not his friends.

Jake? Quil nudged me. How do you want to roll?

"18 and up."

quote:

I just shook my head. I couldn’t concentrate—the compulsion to follow orders felt like puppet strings hooked into all of my muscles. One foot forward, now another.

Seth was dragging behind Collin and Brady—Leah had assumed point there. She ignored Seth while planning with the others, and I could see that she’d rather leave him out of the fight. There was a maternal edge to her feelings for her younger brother. She wished Sam would send him home. Seth didn’t register Leah’s doubts. He was adjusting to the puppet strings, too.

Maybe if you stopped resisting…, Embry whispered.

Just focus on our part. The big ones. We can take them down. We own them! Quil was working himself up—like a pep talk before a big game.

All phrases I'm sure Quil will be using with Claire.

quote:

I could see how easy it would be—to think about nothing more than my part. It wasn’t hard to imagine attacking Jasper and Emmett. We’d been close to that before. I’d thought of them as enemies for a very long time. I could do that now again.

I just had to forget that they were protecting the same thing I would protect. I had to forget the reason why I might want them to win.…

Jake, Embry warned. Keep your head in the game.

My feet moved sluggishly, pulling against the drag of the strings.

There’s no point fighting it, Embry whispered again.

He was right. I would end up doing what Sam wanted, if he was willing to push it. And he was. Obviously.

There was a good reason for the Alpha’s authority. Even a pack as strong as ours wasn’t much of a force without a leader. We had to move together, to think together, in order to be effective. And that required the body to have a head.

Though again, nothing seems to really stop that body from being forcibly directed in a highly destructive manner since there's no real morality-based selection process for the Alpha.

quote:

So what if Sam was wrong now? There was nothing anyone could do. No one could dispute his decision.

Except.

And there it was—a thought I’d never, never wanted to have. But now, with my legs all tied up in strings, I recognized the exception with relief—more than relief, with a fierce joy.

No one could dispute the Alpha’s decision—except for me.

I hadn’t earned anything. But there were things that had been born in me, things that I’d left unclaimed.

As Jacob says, he hasn't earned anything. He gets leadership by birthright as soon as he wants it.

quote:

I’d never wanted to lead the pack. I didn’t want to do it now. I didn’t want the responsibility for all our fates resting on my shoulders. Sam was better at that than I would ever be.

But he was wrong tonight.

And I had not been born to kneel to him.

The bonds fell off my body the second that I embraced my birthright.

I could feel it gathering in me, both a freedom and also a strange, hollow power. Hollow because an Alpha’s power came from his pack, and I had no pack. For a second, loneliness overwhelmed me.

I had no pack now.

But I was straight and strong as I walked to where Sam stood, planning with Paul and Jared. He turned at the sound of my advance, and his black eyes narrowed.

So Sam has a full hive mind but doesn't even notice when a member of his pack suddenly turns Alpha and breaks free of his control?

quote:

No, I told him again.

He heard it right away, heard the choice that I’d made in the sound of the Alpha voice in my thoughts. He jumped back a half step with a shocked yelp.

Jacob? What have you done?

I won’t follow you, Sam. Not for something so wrong.

He stared at me, stunned. You would… you would choose your enemies over your family?

They aren’t—I shook my head, clearing it—they aren’t our enemies. They never have been. Until I really thought about destroying them, thought it through, I didn’t see that.

And 100% of him "thinking it through" was him just realizing that he's too horny for Bella, overriding any serious real concerns about her monster baby.

quote:

This isn’t about them, he snarled at me. This is about Bella. She has never been the one for you, she has never chosen you, but you continue to destroy your life for her!

They were hard words, but true words. I sucked in a big gulp of air, breathing them in.

Maybe you’re right. But you’re going to destroy the pack over her, Sam. No matter how many of them survive tonight, they will always have murder on their hands.

We have to protect our families!

I know what you’ve decided, Sam. But you don’t decide for me, not anymore.

Jacob—you can’t turn your back on the tribe.

I heard the double echo of his Alpha command, but it was weightless this time. It no longer applied to me. He clenched his jaw, trying to force me to respond to his words. I stared into his furious eyes.

Ephraim Black’s son was not born to follow Levi Uley’s.

I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are the only thing that's relevant.

quote:

Is this it, then, Jacob Black? His hackles rose and his muzzle pulled back from his teeth. Paul and Jared snarled and bristled at his sides. Even if you can defeat me, the pack will never follow you!

Now I jerked back, a surprised whine escaping my throat.

Defeat you? I’m not going to fight you, Sam.

Then what’s your plan? I’m not stepping aside so that you can protect the vampire spawn at the tribe’s expense.

I’m not telling you to step aside.

If you order them to follow you—

I’ll never take anyone’s will away from him.

"Or her" I always have to add as an afterthought because gently caress Leah.

quote:

His tail whipped back and forth as he recoiled from the judgment in my words. Then he took a step forward so that we were toe to toe, his exposed teeth inches from mine. I hadn’t noticed till this moment that I’d grown taller than him.

There cannot be more than one Alpha. The pack has chosen me. Will you rip us apart tonight? Will you turn on your brothers? Or will you end this insanity and join us again? Every word was layered with command, but it couldn’t touch me. Alpha blood ran undiluted in my veins.

I could see why there was never more than one Alpha male in a pack. My body was responding to the challenge. I could feel the instinct to defend my claim rising in me. The primitive core of my wolf-self tensed for the battle of supremacy.

I should point out that at no point do the vampires ever have their impulses to feed derided as "primitive" despite being equally or more irresistible.

quote:

I focused all my energy to control that reaction. I would not fall into a pointless, destructive fight with Sam. He was my brother still, even though I was rejecting him.

There is only one Alpha for this pack. I’m not contesting that. I’m just choosing to go my own way.

Do you belong to a coven now, Jacob?

Oh yeah, this is the start of the long colonialism metaphor!

quote:

I flinched.

I don’t know, Sam. But I do know this—

He shrunk back as he felt the weight of the Alpha in my tone. It affected him more than his touched me. Because I had been born to lead him.

I will stand between you and the Cullens. I won’t just watch while the pack kills innocent—it was hard to apply that word to vampires, but it was true—people. The pack is better than that. Lead them in the right direction, Sam.

Yes, the formatting for werewolf telepathy chapters is as aggravating as it seems to get correct.

quote:

I turned my back on him, and a chorus of howls tore into the air around me.

Digging my nails into the earth, I raced away from the uproar I’d caused. I didn’t have much time. At least Leah was the only one with a prayer of outrunning me, and I had a head start.

The howling faded with the distance, and I took comfort as the sound continued to rip apart the quiet night. They weren’t after me yet.

I had to warn the Cullens before the pack could get it together and stop me. If the Cullens were prepared, it might give Sam a reason to rethink this before it was too late. I sprinted toward the white house I still hated, leaving my home behind me. Home didn’t belong to me anymore. I’d turned my back on it.

First: the native turns his back on his dilapidated home and outdated traditions in favor of the white man's large mansion and wealth.

quote:

Today had begun like any other day. Made it home from patrol with the rainy sunrise, breakfast with Billy and Rachel, bad TV, bickering with Paul… How did it change so completely, turn all surreal? How did everything get messed up and twisted so that I was here now, all alone, an unwilling Alpha, cut off from my brothers, choosing vampires over them?

You may be shocked, but this plot tends to fling itself wildly in all directions!

quote:

The sound I’d been fearing interrupted my dazed thoughts—it was the soft impact of big paws against the ground, chasing after me. I threw myself forward, rocketing through the black forest. I just had to get close enough so that Edward could hear the warning in my head. Leah wouldn’t be able to stop me alone.

And then I caught the mood of the thoughts behind me. Not anger, but enthusiasm. Not chasing… but following.

My stride broke. I staggered two steps before it evened out again.

Wait up. My legs aren’t as long as yours.

SETH! What do you think you’re DOING? GO HOME!

He didn’t answer, but I could feel his excitement as he kept right on after me. I could see through his eyes as he could see through mine. The night scene was bleak for me—full of despair. For him, it was hopeful.

I hadn’t realized I was slowing down, but suddenly he was on my flank, running in position beside me.

I am not joking, Seth! This is no place for you. Get out of here.

The gangly tan wolf snorted. I’ve got your back, Jacob. I think you’re right. And I’m not going to stand behind Sam when—

Oh yes you are the hell going to stand behind Sam! Get your furry butt back to La Push and do what Sam tells you to do.

No.

Go, Seth!

Is that an order, Jacob?

His question brought me up short. I skidded to a halt, my nails gouging furrows in the mud.

Jacob just instantly violates his principles as soon as he gets a chance.

quote:

I’m not ordering anyone to do anything. I’m just telling you what you already know.

He plopped down on his haunches beside me. I’ll tell you what I know—I know that it’s awful quiet. Haven’t you noticed?

I blinked. My tail swished nervously as I realized what he was thinking underneath the words. It wasn’t quiet in one sense. Howls still filled the air, far away in the west.

They haven’t phased back, Seth said.

I knew that. The pack would be on red alert now. They would be using the mind link to see all sides clearly. But I couldn’t hear what they were thinking. I could only hear Seth. No one else.

Looks to me like separate packs aren’t linked. Huh. Guess there was no reason for our fathers to know that before. ’Cause there was no reason for separate packs before. Never enough wolves for two. Wow. It’s really quiet. Sort of eerie. But also kinda nice, don’t you think? I bet it was easier, like this, for Ephraim and Quil and Levi. Not such a babble with just three. Or just two.

Shut up, Seth.

Yes, sir.

Stop that! There are not two packs. There is THE pack, and then there is me. That’s all. So you can go home now.

If there aren’t two packs, then why can we hear each other and not the rest? I think that when you turned your back on Sam, that was a pretty significant move. A change. And when I followed you away, I think that was significant, too.

You’ve got a point,
I conceded. But what can change can change right back.

In other words, Meyer is making this up as she goes and the rules don't matter.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I kinda like the idea of the Alpha writing a letter of condolence to the loved ones of a KIA werewolf, narrated in the style of Ken Burns' Civil War. Of course that would mean there's the possibility of a toddler getting a letter stating that her fiance fell in battle against a demon fetus, which would probably be weird as hell to find in a scrapbook while packing for college.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

For all you Old World of Darkness fans, you don’t how how badly I wanted to make a whole splatbook where the Prince of Seattle calls on anyone possible, potentially even supernatural beings that are normally enemies, because an upstart would-be new Clan of Kiasyd offshoots is about to allow a massive abomination be released upon the world and it’s going to take all the bullshit superpowers possible to stop them and the fake Garou protecting them.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Grammarchist posted:

I kinda like the idea of the Alpha writing a letter of condolence to the loved ones of a KIA werewolf, narrated in the style of Ken Burns' Civil War. Of course that would mean there's the possibility of a toddler getting a letter stating that her fiance fell in battle against a demon fetus, which would probably be weird as hell to find in a scrapbook while packing for college.

Kindest thoughts young Claire,

I hope this letter finds you in good temper and clean diapers. I write with grave news, quill has fallen, and he will not return. He has ventured to the rainbow bridge, to await your coming. I can only pray you live a long life, well. He died young, for our kind, but his love of watching you on the beach was already nearly creepy enough for a restraining order.

In mournful sympathy and utter relief,
Sam

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Honestly loving losing it over here at the mention of the rainbow bridge.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
"Many times throughout this accursed conflict has Quil expressed to me his heartfelt desire to purchase a farm upstate, where he might run and play with the frivolity of a youth long since past. It is with deepest regrets that I write to inform you..."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

He got up and started trotting toward the east. No time to argue about it now. We should be moving right along before Sam…

He was right about that part. There was no time for this argument. I fell into a run again, not pushing myself quite as hard. Seth stayed on my heels, holding the Second’s traditional place on my right flank.

I can run somewhere else, he thought, his nose dipping a little. I didn’t follow you because I was after a promotion.

That's totally why you followed him.

quote:

Run wherever you want. Makes no difference to me.

There was no sound of pursuit, but we both stepped it up a little at the same time. I was worried now. If I couldn’t tap into the pack’s mind, it was going to make this more difficult. I’d have no more advance warning of attack than the Cullens.

We’ll run patrols, Seth suggested.

And what do we do if the pack challenges us? My eyes tightened. Attack our brothers? Your sister?

No—we sound the alarm and fall back.

Good answer. But then what? I don’t think…

I know, he agreed. Less confident now. I don’t think I can fight them, either. But they won’t be any happier with the idea of attacking us than we are with attacking them. That might be enough to stop them right there. Plus, there’re only eight of them now.

Stop being so… Took me a minute to decide on the right word. Optimistic. It’s getting on my nerves.

No problem. You want me to be all doom and gloom, or just shut up?

Just shut up.

Can do.

Really? Doesn’t seem like it.

He was finally quiet.

Meyer is trying to frame Seth as the precocious annoying younger brother character, but none of his behavior has come off as nearly annoying enough to deserve everyone telling him to gently caress off. Least of all when compared to Quil being an overt pedophile and Paul alternating between "douchebag bully" and "uncontrollable rage monster."

quote:

And then we were across the road and moving through the forest that ringed the Cullens’ house. Could Edward hear us yet?

Maybe we should be thinking something like, “We come in peace.”

Go for it.

Edward? He called the name tentatively. Edward, you there? Okay, now I feel kinda stupid.

You sound stupid, too.

Think he can hear us?

We were less than a mile out now. I think so. Hey, Edward. If you can hear me—circle the wagons, bloodsucker. You’ve got a problem.

We’ve got a problem, Seth corrected.

Then we broke through the trees into the big lawn. The house was dark, but not empty. Edward stood on the porch between Emmett and Jasper. They were snow white in the pale light.

I wonder if the vampires use their vampire senses to just walk around their house and do all their work with the lights off.

quote:

“Jacob? Seth? What’s going on?”

I slowed and then paced back a few steps. The smell was so sharp through this nose that it felt like it was honestly burning me. Seth whined quietly, hesitating, and then he fell back behind me.

To answer Edward’s question, I let my mind run over the confrontation with Sam, moving through it backward. Seth thought with me, filling in the gaps, showing the scene from another angle. We stopped when we got to the part about the “abomination,” because Edward hissed furiously and leaped off the porch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkDhtK0S894

This is pretty much exactly what Jacob and Seth gave Edward, complete with dramatic camera angles.

quote:

“They want to kill Bella?” he snarled flatly.

Emmett and Jasper, not having heard the first part of the conversation, took his inflectionless question for a statement. They were right next to him in a flash, teeth exposed as they moved on us.

Hey, now, Seth thought, backing away.

“Em, Jazz—not them! The others. The pack is coming.”

Emmett and Jasper falling prey to their primitive impul--

Oh wait, what's that? I'm sorry, I just got a report from my earpiece. Because they are white, they are not displaying primitive impulses of violence and are actually completely reasonable.

quote:

Emmett and Jasper rocked back on their heels; Emmett turned to Edward while Jasper kept his eyes locked on us.

“What’s their problem?” Emmett demanded.

“The same one as mine,” Edward hissed. “But they have their own plan to handle it. Get the others. Call Carlisle! He and Esme have to get back here now.”

I whined uneasily. They were separated.

“They aren’t far,” Edward said in the same dead voice as before.

At their speed, they'll be back within seconds with one phone call.

quote:

I’m going to go take a look, Seth said. Run the western perimeter.

“Will you be in danger, Seth?” Edward asked.

Seth and I exchanged a glance.

Don’t think so, we thought together. And then I added, But maybe I should go. Just in case…

They’ll be less likely to challenge me, Seth pointed out. I’m just a kid to them.

You’re just a kid to me, kid.

I’m outta here. You need to coordinate with the Cullens.

He wheeled and darted into the darkness. I wasn’t going to order Seth around, so I let him go.

And immediately crashed into a tree and off a cliff.

quote:

Edward and I stood facing each other in the dark meadow. I could hear Emmett muttering into his phone. Jasper was watching the place where Seth had vanished into the woods. Alice appeared on the porch and then, after staring at me with anxious eyes for a long moment, she flitted to Jasper’s side. I guessed that Rosalie was inside with Bella. Still guarding her—from the wrong dangers.

“This isn’t the first time I’ve owed you my gratitude, Jacob,” Edward whispered. “I would never have asked for this from you.”

"The last time is when you graciously offered to raw my wife."

quote:

I thought of what he’d asked me for earlier today. When it came to Bella, there were no lines he wouldn’t cross. Yeah, you would.

Stop making my jokes canon

quote:

He thought about it and then nodded. “I suppose you’re right about that.”

I sighed heavily. Well, this isn’t the first time that I didn’t do it for you.

“Right,” he murmured.

Why are we having this conversation now

quote:

Sorry I didn’t do any good today. Told you she wouldn’t listen to me.

“I know. I never really believed she would. But…”

I'm calling my mom to come pick me up.

quote:

You had to try. I get it. She any better?

His voice and eyes went hollow. “Worse,” he breathed.

I didn’t want to let that word sink in. I was grateful when Alice spoke.

“Jacob, would you mind switching forms?” Alice asked. “I want to know what’s going on.”

I shook my head at the same time Edward answered. “He needs to stay linked to Seth.”

“Well, then would you be so kind as to tell me what’s happening?”

He explained in clipped, emotionless sentences. “The pack thinks Bella’s become a problem. They foresee potential danger from the… from what she’s carrying. They feel it’s their duty to remove that danger. Jacob and Seth disbanded from the pack to warn us. The rest are planning to attack tonight.”

Alice hissed, leaning away from me. Emmett and Jasper exchanged a glance, and then their eyes ranged across the trees.

Nobody out here, Seth reported. All’s quiet on the western front.

quote:

They may go around.

I’ll make a loop.

“Carlisle and Esme are on their way,” Emmett said. “Twenty minutes, tops.”

Did they go to Oregon?

quote:

“We should take up a defensive position,” Jasper said.

Edward nodded. “Let’s get inside.”

I’ll run perimeter with Seth. If I get too far for you to hear my head, listen for my howl.

“I will.”

They backed into the house, eyes flickering everywhere. Before they were inside, I turned and ran toward the west.

I’m still not finding much, Seth told me.

I’ll take half the circle. Move fast—we don’t want them to have a chance to sneak past us.

Seth lurched forward in a sudden burst of speed.

We ran in silence, and the minutes passed. I listened to the noises around him, double-checking his judgment.

Hey—something coming up fast! he warned me after fifteen minutes of silence.

On my way!

Hold your position—I don’t think it’s the pack. It sounds different.

Seth—

But he caught the approaching scent on the breeze, and I read it in his mind.

Vampire. Bet it’s Carlisle.

Seth, fall back. It might be someone else.

No, it’s them. I recognize the scent. Hold up, I’m going to phase to explain it to them.

Seth, I don’t think—

But he was gone.

This might be the shortest Dead Herring in the books, because a few lines later...

quote:

Anxiously, I raced along the western border. Wouldn’t it be just peachy if I couldn’t take care of Seth for one freaking night? What if something happened to him on my watch? Leah would shred me into kibble.

At least the kid kept it short. It wasn’t two minutes later when I felt him in my head again.

Yep, Carlisle and Esme. Boy, were they surprised to see me! They’re probably inside by now. Carlisle said thanks.

He’s a good guy.

Yeah. That’s one of the reasons why we’re right about this.

Hope so.

So either:

A) Meyer actually tried to fake out the audience with a vampire ambush but couldn't hold it together for even a paragraph.

B) Jacob thought that Carlisle and Esme would kill Seth for no reason.

quote:

Why’re you so down, Jake? I’ll bet Sam won’t bring the pack tonight. He’s not going to launch a suicide mission.

I sighed. It didn’t seem to matter, either way.

Oh. This isn’t about Sam so much, is it?

I made the turn at the end of my patrol. I caught Seth’s scent where he’d turned last. We weren’t leaving any gaps.

You think Bella’s going to die anyway, Seth whispered.

Yeah, she is.

Poor Edward. He must be crazy.

Literally.

"He's basically the worst."

quote:

Edward’s name brought other memories boiling to the surface. Seth read them in astonishment.

And then he was howling. Oh, man! No way! You did not! That just plain ol’ sucks rocks, Jacob! And you know it, too! I can’t believe you said you’d kill him. What is that? You have to tell him no.

He's freaking out about Jacob saying he'd kill Edward, but not Jacob agreeing to violently bone his wife to get her to agree to an abortion?

quote:

Shut up, shut up, you idiot! They’re going to think the pack is coming!

Oops!
He cut off mid-howl.

I wheeled and started loping in toward the house. Just keep out of this, Seth. Take the whole circle for now.

Seth seethed and I ignored him.

False alarm, false alarm, I thought as I ran closer in. Sorry. Seth is young. He forgets things. No one’s attacking. False alarm.

When I got to the meadow, I could see Edward staring out of a dark window. I ran in, wanting to be sure he got the message.

There’s nothing out there—you got that?

He nodded once.

This would be a lot easier if the communication wasn’t one way. Then again, I was kinda glad I wasn’t in his head.

Midnight Sun is a pretty horrifying place!

quote:

He looked over his shoulder, back into the house, and I saw a shudder run through his whole frame. He waved me away without looking in my direction again and then moved out of my view.

What’s going on?

Like I was going to get an answer.

I sat very still in the meadow and listened. With these ears, I could almost hear Seth’s soft footfalls, miles out into the forest. It was easy to hear every sound inside the dark house.

“It was a false alarm,” Edward was explaining in that dead voice, just repeating what I’d told him. “Seth was upset about something else, and he forgot we were listening for a signal. He’s very young.”

“Nice to have toddlers guarding the fort,” a deeper voice grumbled. Emmett, I thought.

“They’ve done us a great service tonight, Emmett,” Carlisle said. “At great personal sacrifice.”

"Not as great as Jacob sacrificing his entire dignity tonight, though."

quote:

“Yeah, I know. I’m just jealous. Wish I was out there.”

“Seth doesn’t think Sam will attack now,” Edward said mechanically. “Not with us forewarned, and lacking two members of the pack.”

It puts into perspective why Robert Pattinson did all of his acting the way he did if he read all the books. Breaking Dawn released at the beginning of August 2008, only 3 months after filming wrapped on the first Twilight film, so the actors had almost all of the story already available to them during film and Pattinson was personally given the publicly available draft of Midnight Sun before its leak. He had a very detailed look at how terrible it all was to drive his performance.

quote:

“What does Jacob think?” Carlisle asked.

“He’s not as optimistic.”

No one spoke. There was a quiet dripping sound that I couldn’t place. I heard their low breathing—and I could separate Bella’s from the rest. It was harsher, labored. It hitched and broke in strange rhythms. I could hear her heart. It seemed… too fast. I paced it against my own heartbeat, but I wasn’t sure if that was any measure. It wasn’t like I was normal.

“Don’t touch her! You’ll wake her up,” Rosalie whispered.

Someone sighed.

“Rosalie,” Carlisle murmured.

“Don’t start with me, Carlisle. We let you have your way earlier, but that’s all we’re allowing.”

It seemed like Rosalie and Bella were both talking in plurals now. Like they’d formed a pack of their own.

A charitable interpretation is that Rosalie is so violently protective of a possible non-murderous baby that the rest of the family is unwilling to risk an abortion because they'd likely have to kill her and Emmett. This, in turn, makes Rosalie the true bad guy in this story.

quote:

I paced quietly in front of the house. Each pass brought me a little closer. The dark windows were like a TV set running in some dull waiting room—it was impossible to keep my eyes off them for long.

A few more minutes, a few more passes, and my fur was brushing the side of the porch as I paced.

I could see up through the windows—see the top of the walls and the ceiling, the unlit chandelier that hung there. I was tall enough that all I would have to do was stretch my neck a little… and maybe one paw up on the edge of the porch.…

I peeked into the big, open front room, expecting to see something very similar to the scene this afternoon. But it had changed so much that I was confused at first. For a second I thought I’d gotten the wrong room.

The glass wall was gone—it looked like metal now. And the furniture was all dragged out of the way, with Bella curled up awkwardly on a narrow bed in the center of the open space. Not a normal bed—one with rails like in a hospital. Also like a hospital were the monitors strapped to her body, the tubes stuck into her skin. The lights on the monitors flashed, but there was no sound. The dripping noise was from the IV plugged into her arm—some fluid that was thick and white, not clear.

Did they super speed a hospital room?

quote:

She choked a little in her uneasy sleep, and both Edward and Rosalie moved in to hover over her. Her body jerked, and she whimpered. Rosalie smoothed her hand across Bella’s forehead. Edward’s body stiffened—his back was to me, but his expression must have been something to see, because Emmett wrenched himself between them before there was time to blink. He held his hands up to Edward.

“Not tonight, Edward. We’ve got other things to worry about.”

Edward turned away from them, and he was the burning man again. His eyes met mine for one moment, and then I dropped back to all fours.

I ran back into the dark forest, running to join Seth, running away from what was behind me.

Worse. Yes, she was worse.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'm still catching up, but I just wanted to thank you for suffering through this for us, chitoryu. Just some thoughts so far:

- I still feel really sorry for Charlie, even through his bout of out-of-characterness when he laughed off Jacob assaulting Bella. He had so much bad poo poo happen in his life. Renee was lovely to him and turned Bella against him. Bella was already terribly selfish from a young age, and only got worse. Bella constantly mocked Charlie's attempts at being a good parent by always thinking the worse of him, and breaking all the reasonable rules he's set. Bella has so little regard for him that she doesn't think how her becoming a vampire would hurt him.

- Everything about Leah is so much better than Bella. She's got an actual love triangle with a tragic bent where she's the one who didn't get together with the guy she loved. She can transform into a wolf and fight alongside others. She doesn't take poo poo from anyone but she never comes across as a terrible person for it, just really angry at how the world shits on her. In the hands of a competent writer, she'd be the protagonist of her own book.

- Something I noticed is that Bella constantly looks down on the wolves while raising the vampires on a pedestal. While Meyer tries to make it sound as if Bella is worried over the two groups, she always writes how the vampires are all agile and strong and brutal. By contrast, Bella often thinks the wolves would get themselves killed if they stood up to vampires. There was also that time where Bella wondered if Leah thought Sam injuring Emily's face was poetic justice. I dunno, it just comes across as rather racist, especially with how Meyer mishandled the Quielutes.

- I got to the part where Bella finally realizes that becoming a vampire means she'd end up being a bloodthirsty monster who would kill people just to sate her thirst... And it's a footnote on her attempt to manipulate Edward into having sex while she's still a human. :psyduck:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Robert Pattinson said that he views the series as Stephenie Meyer writing out her own weird sexual fantasies, which seriously creeped him out with the attention she gave him. It really does feel like her drive to put all of her own personal poo poo on the page has completely crippled any attempt she could make at writing decent urban fantasy. Even the characters constantly make bizarre decisions or go insane because it's the only way to push the book in the direction of either her fantasy or her Mormon morality against any logical progression.

And if you think the book is racist now, hoo boy it keeps going.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Robert Pattinson said that he views the series as Stephenie Meyer writing out her own weird sexual fantasies, which seriously creeped him out with the attention she gave him. It really does feel like her drive to put all of her own personal poo poo on the page has completely crippled any attempt she could make at writing decent urban fantasy. Even the characters constantly make bizarre decisions or go insane because it's the only way to push the book in the direction of either her fantasy or her Mormon morality against any logical progression.

And if you think the book is racist now, hoo boy it keeps going.

He's loving savage and pulls zero punches on how much he hates the Twilight series.

https://www.standard.co.uk/insider/...d-a4432611.html

quote:

Pattinson was asked by WOIO if he had taken any mementos from the set of Breaking Dawn - Part 2, the final film in the Twilight series, to remember the series by.

He responded simply, “My dignity.”

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2496478/twilights-gregory-tyree-boyce-is-dead-at-30

RIP guy who almost smushed Bella and then disappeared right after that.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I bet there's some Bigfoot enthusiast with trail cams capturing blurry, out-of-focus photos of all these shenanigans. Giant wolves running around, a white couple pushing an ICU bed through the forest at 60 miles per hour, etc.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MorgaineDax posted:

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2496478/twilights-gregory-tyree-boyce-is-dead-at-30

Goddamn, I've had so many actors die during my threads.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Proteus Jones posted:

He's loving savage and pulls zero punches on how much he hates the Twilight series.

I used to think it was kind of crappy of him to poo poo all over the movies that launched his multi-million dollar career. Then I read that recent GQ story and realized that becoming a megastar at 20 basically ruined his life. It stopped him from having the career that he wanted, and turned him into a hermit.

e: if anyone hasn't read it or seen it on twitter, absolutely read that article, especially the bit about Piccolini Cuscino.

hyperhazard fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 19, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hyperhazard posted:

I used to think it was kind of crappy of him to poo poo all over the movies that launched his multi-million dollar career. Then I read that recent GQ story and realized that becoming a megastar at 20 basically ruined his life. It stopped him from having the career that he wanted, and turned him into a hermit.

e: if anyone hasn't read it or seen it on twitter, absolutely read that article, especially the bit about Piccolini Cuscino.

God what a loving tool that manchild is.

I also lol at GQ putting the designer and cost of the clothing in all the photos but not telling you what the item is called beyond “pants” or ”blazer” with the “price available upon request” being the cherry on top.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

MorgaineDax posted:

I was Team Tyler’s Van back then and I’m Team Tyler’s Van today. Poor guy.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chapter 12: Some People Just Don't Grasp the Concept of "Unwelcome"

quote:

I was right on the edge of sleep.

The sun had risen behind the clouds an hour ago—the forest was gray now instead of black. Seth’d curled up and passed out around one, and I’d woken him at dawn to trade off. Even after running all night, I was having a hard time making my brain shut up long enough to fall asleep, but Seth’s rhythmic run was helping. One, two-three, four, one, two-three, four—dum dum-dum dum—dull paw thuds against the damp earth, over and over as he made the wide circuit surrounding the Cullens’ land. We were already wearing a trail into the ground. Seth’s thoughts were empty, just a blur of green and gray as the woods flew past him. It was restful. It helped to fill my head with what he saw rather than letting my own images take center stage.

At least we finally have a POV character who isn't having weirdly prescient dreams for no reason every night.

quote:

And then Seth’s piercing howl broke the early morning quiet.

I lurched up from the ground, my front legs pulling toward a sprint before my hind legs were off the ground. I raced toward the place where Seth had frozen, listening with him to the tread of paws running in our direction.

Morning, boys.

A shocked whine broke through Seth’s teeth. And then we both snarled as we read deeper into the new thoughts.

Oh, man! Go away, Leah! Seth groaned.

I stopped when I got to Seth, head thrown back, ready to howl again—this time to complain.

Cut the noise, Seth.

Right. Ugh! Ugh! Ugh!
He whimpered and pawed at the ground, scratching deep furrows in the dirt.

Leah trotted into view, her small gray body weaving through the underbrush.

Our true hero arrives.

quote:

Stop whining, Seth. You’re such a baby.

I growled at her, my ears flattening against my skull. She skipped back a step automatically.

What do you think you’re doing, Leah?

She huffed a heavy sigh. It’s pretty obvious, isn’t it? I’m joining your crappy little renegade pack. The vampires’ guard dogs. She barked out a low, sarcastic laugh.

No, you’re not. Turn around before I rip out one of your hamstrings.

Like you could catch me. She grinned and coiled her body for launch. Wanna race, O fearless leader?

Can Jake just gently caress off forever?

quote:

I took a deep breath, filling my lungs until my sides bulged. Then, when I was sure I wasn’t going to scream, I exhaled in a gust.

Seth, go let the Cullens know that it’s just your stupid sister—I thought the words as harshly as possible. I’ll deal with this.

On it! Seth was only too happy to leave. He vanished toward the house.

Leah whined, and she leaned after him, the fur on her shoulders rising. You’re just going to let him run off to the vampires alone?

I’m pretty sure he’d rather they took him out than spend another minute with you.

I have a sinking feeling this chapter is going to be really aggravating to read.

quote:

Shut up, Jacob. Oops, I’m sorry—I meant, shut up, most high Alpha.

Why the hell are you here?

You think I’m just going to sit home while my little brother volunteers as a vampire chew toy?

Seth doesn’t want or need your protection. In fact, no one wants you here.

Oooh, ouch, that’s gonna leave a huge mark. Ha, she barked. Tell me who does want me around, and I’m outta here.

So this isn’t about Seth at all, is it?

Of course it is. I’m just pointing out that being unwanted is not a first for me. Not really a motivating factor, if you know what I mean.

In case you forgot, Leah was Sam's beloved girlfriend until he imprinted on Emily, who he nearly killed when she tried to reject the imprinting, and got forced into his pack by random chance of birth. It shouldn't be the least bit surprising that she's taking the first opportunity to abandon him.

quote:

I gritted my teeth and tried to get my head straight.

Did Sam send you?

If I was here on Sam’s errand, you wouldn’t be able to hear me. My allegiance is no longer with him.

I listened carefully to the thoughts mixed in with the words. If this was a diversion or a ploy, I had to be alert enough to see through it. But there was nothing. Her declaration was nothing but the truth. Unwilling, almost despairing truth.

You’re loyal to me now? I asked with deep sarcasm. Uh-huh. Right.

My choices are limited. I’m working with the options I’ve got. Trust me, I’m not enjoying this any more than you are.

"You're honestly worse than Sam in some ways."

quote:

That wasn’t true. There was an edgy kind of excitement in her mind. She was unhappy about this, but she was also riding some weird high. I searched her mind, trying to understand.

She bristled, resenting the intrusion. I usually tried to tune Leah out—I’d never tried to make sense of her before.

You don't loving say, Black

quote:

We were interrupted by Seth, thinking his explanation at Edward. Leah whined anxiously. Edward’s face, framed in the same window as last night, showed no reaction to the news. It was a blank face, dead.

Wow, he looks bad, Seth muttered to himself. The vampire showed no reaction to that thought, either. He disappeared into the house. Seth pivoted and headed back out to us. Leah relaxed a little.

What’s going on? Leah asked. Catch me up to speed.

There’s no point. You’re not staying.

Actually, Mr. Alpha, I am. Because since apparently I have to belong to someone—and don’t think I haven’t tried breaking off on my own, you know yourself how well that doesn’t work—I choose you.

Leah, you don’t like me. I don’t like you.

Thank you, Captain Obvious. That doesn’t matter to me. I’m staying with Seth.

You don’t like vampires. Don’t you think that’s a little conflict of interest right there?

You don’t like vampires either.

But I
am committed to this alliance. You aren’t.

I’ll keep my distance from them. I can run patrols out here, just like Seth.

And I’m supposed to trust you with that?

She stretched her neck, leaning up on her toes, trying to be as tall as me as she stared into my eyes. I will not betray my pack.

Not to divert from my defense of Leah here, but she literally just did. The entire reason she's here is that she betrayed her pack.

quote:

I wanted to throw my head back and howl, like Seth had before. This isn’t your pack! This isn’t even a pack. This is just me, going off on my own! What is it with you Clearwaters? Why can’t you leave me alone?

Seth, just coming up behind us now, whined; I’d offended him. Great.

I’ve been helpful, haven’t I, Jake?

You haven’t made too much a nuisance of yourself, kid, but if you and Leah are a package deal—if the only way to get rid of her is for you to go home.… Well, can you blame me for wanting you gone?

Ugh, Leah, you ruin everything!

Yeah, I know
, she told him, and the thought was loaded with the heaviness of her despair.

This book is so loving mean-spirited. It's miserable and cruel to the one person who's interestingly tragic enough to be a compelling protagonist.

quote:

I felt the pain in the three little words, and it was more than I would’ve guessed. I didn’t want to feel that. I didn’t want to feel bad for her. Sure, the pack was rough on her, but she brought it all on herself with the bitterness that tainted her every thought and made being in her head a nightmare.

Ah yes, a great excuse! "She has a ton of trauma, but she brings it all on herself by not just turning off her emotions!"

quote:

Seth was feeling guilty, too. Jake… You’re not really gonna send me away, are you? Leah’s not so bad. Really. I mean, with her here, we can push the perimeter out farther. And this puts Sam down to seven. There’s no way he’s going to mount an attack that outnumbered. It’s probably a good thing.…

You were just telling her she ruins everything half a second before.

quote:

You know I don’t want to lead a pack, Seth.

So don’t lead us
, Leah offered.

I snorted. Sounds perfect to me. Run along home now.

Jake, Seth thought. I belong here. I do like vampires. Cullens, anyway. They’re people to me, and I’m going to protect them, ’cause that’s what we’re supposed to do.

Maybe you belong, kid, but your sister doesn’t. And she’s going to go wherever you are—

I stopped short, because I saw something when I said that. Something Leah had been trying not to think.

Leah wasn’t going anywhere.

The only place this poor girl needs to go is out of this story and save herself.

quote:

Thought this was about Seth, I thought sourly.

She flinched. Of course I’m here for Seth.

And to get away from Sam.

Her jaw clenched. I don’t have to explain myself to you. I just have to do what I’m told. I belong to your pack, Jacob. The end.

I paced away from her, growling.

Crap. I was never going to get rid of her. As much as she disliked me, as much as she loathed the Cullens, as happy as she’d be to go kill all the vampires right now, as much as it pissed her off to have to protect them instead—none of that was anything compared to what she felt being free of Sam.

And you're just so put-upon by having to not be a dick to her for no reason, right?

quote:

Leah didn’t like me, so it wasn’t such a chore having me wish she would disappear.

She loved Sam. Still. And having him wish she would disappear was more pain than she was willing to live with, now that she had a choice. She would have taken any other option. Even if it meant moving in with the Cullens as their lapdog.

Uhhh let's tone down on that language here. This book has enough racist implications already.

quote:

I don’t know if I’d go that far, she thought. She tried to make the words tough, aggressive, but there were big cracks in her show. I’m sure I’d give killing myself a few good tries first.

Look, Leah…

No, you look, Jacob. Stop arguing with me, because it’s not going to do any good. I’ll stay out of your way, okay? I’ll do anything you want. Except go back to Sam’s pack and be the pathetic ex-girlfriend he can’t get away from. If you want me to leave—she sat back on her haunches and stared straight into my eyes—you’re going to have to make me.

I snarled for a long, angry minute. I was beginning to feel some sympathy for Sam, despite what he had done to me, to Seth. No wonder he was always ordering the pack around. How else would you ever get anything done?

Seth, are you gonna get mad at me if I kill your sister?

He pretended to think about it for a minute. Well… yeah, probably.

I just feel so uncomfortable reading all of this. Meyer's given us the most tragic, believable, sympathetic character for no reason other than to tell us that she's actually bad and have everyone abuse her for having feelings.

quote:

I sighed.

Okay, then, Ms. Do-Anything-I-Want. Why don’t you make yourself useful by telling us what you know? What happened after we left last night?

Lots of howling. But you probably heard that part. It was so loud that it took us a while to figure out that we couldn’t hear either of you anymore. Sam was… Words failed her, but we could see it in our head. Both Seth and I cringed. After that, it was clear pretty quick that we were going to have to rethink things. Sam was planning to talk to the other Elders first thing this morning. We were supposed to meet up and figure out a game plan. I could tell he wasn’t going to mount another attack right away, though. Suicide at this point, with you and Seth AWOL and the bloodsuckers forewarned. I’m not sure what they’ll do, but I wouldn’t be wandering the forest alone if I was a leech. It’s open season on vamps now.

You decided to skip the meeting this morning? I asked.

When we split up for patrols last night, I asked permission to go home, to tell my mother what had happened—

Crap! You told Mom?
Seth growled.

Seth, hold off on the sibling stuff for a sec. Go on, Leah.

So once I was human, I took a minute to think things through. Well, actually, I took all night. I bet the others think I fell asleep. But the whole two-separate-packs, two-separate-pack-minds thing gave me a lot to sift through. In the end, I weighed Seth’s safety and the, er, other benefits against the idea of turning traitor and sniffing vampire stink for who knows how long. You know what I decided. I left a note for my mom. I expect we’ll hear it when Sam finds out.…

It's really telling that all of the people who are defending Bella and her demon spawn to the death have no real logical or moral ground for doing so. All of the Cullens who would ordinarily be on the side of an abortion are blocked by Rosalie suddenly becoming murderously insane (or Meyer just saying they don't support an abortion for no reason except to provide some balance to the sides), Jacob is still in love with her, Seth is too fond of the Cullens to stop their reckless actions, and Leah is just trying to get away from Sam and saw an opening to run away.

quote:

Leah cocked an ear to the west.

Yeah, I expect we will, I agreed.

So that’s everything. What do we do now? she asked.

She and Seth both looked at me expectantly.

This was exactly the kind of thing I didn’t want to have to do.

I guess we just keep an eye out for now. That’s all we can do. You should probably take a nap, Leah.

You’ve had as much sleep as I have.

Thought you were going to do what you were told?

Right. That’s going to get old,
she grumbled, and then she yawned. Well, whatever. I don’t care.

I’ll run the border, Jake. I’m not tired at all.
Seth was so glad I hadn’t forced them home, he was all but prancing with excitement.

Sure, sure. I’m going to go check in with the Cullens.

Seth took off along the new path worn into the damp earth.

Leah looked after him thoughtfully.

Maybe a round or two before I crash.… Hey Seth, wanna see how many times I can lap you?

NO!

Barking out a low chuckle, Leah lunged into the woods after him.

I growled uselessly. So much for peace and quiet.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

The Leah conversation reads a lot to me like an attempt at friendly banter but Meyer really undercuts it with references to some really genuine trauma. It also doesn't help that she doesn't seem to be consistent with formatting or expressing the dialogue for the wolves. Sometimes the PoV character seems to have some private thoughts and sometimes the others pick up on it. It would work well for having intentional and unintentional thoughts but some of the stuff that's fine for banter seem to be intended as private where it comes across as mean and genuine dislike.

Has Meyer confirmed no one likes Leah and is just horrible to her because she's unhappy and they're all stuck in her head? Or did she just handle the dialogue really badly?

Also yeah, there is 0 reason to support Bella's decision here and pretty much the only decision she's made that really drives the plot is only possible as a choice because Rosalie is equally insane. I'd actually be interested to read an alternate ending where the main characters survive the demon child: Jacob has to come to terms with being imprinted on a murderous creature with 0 ability to develop beyond infancy, Edward sees his one love gone and the Volturi called down and Carlisle has to kill half his own coven to stop the creature from wiping out Forks. Bella gets turned into a vampire by Edward and her child kills Charlie, wipes out half the pack and Jacob does trying to protect it.

Basically everything I can imagine with how this could go is really loving bad.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

MrNemo posted:

The Leah conversation reads a lot to me like an attempt at friendly banter but Meyer really undercuts it with references to some really genuine trauma. It also doesn't help that she doesn't seem to be consistent with formatting or expressing the dialogue for the wolves. Sometimes the PoV character seems to have some private thoughts and sometimes the others pick up on it. It would work well for having intentional and unintentional thoughts but some of the stuff that's fine for banter seem to be intended as private where it comes across as mean and genuine dislike.

Has Meyer confirmed no one likes Leah and is just horrible to her because she's unhappy and they're all stuck in her head? Or did she just handle the dialogue really badly?

Also yeah, there is 0 reason to support Bella's decision here and pretty much the only decision she's made that really drives the plot is only possible as a choice because Rosalie is equally insane. I'd actually be interested to read an alternate ending where the main characters survive the demon child: Jacob has to come to terms with being imprinted on a murderous creature with 0 ability to develop beyond infancy, Edward sees his one love gone and the Volturi called down and Carlisle has to kill half his own coven to stop the creature from wiping out Forks. Bella gets turned into a vampire by Edward and her child kills Charlie, wipes out half the pack and Jacob does trying to protect it.

Basically everything I can imagine with how this could go is really loving bad.

When Sam imprinted on Emily, the reason she rejected him was because of Leah, to the point that she would tell him to go back to Leah. When he turned into a wolf and mauls her for the suggestion, she later tells him it wasn't his fault - the implication being it is her and Leah's fault to making him upset. Emily only starts going out with Sam because he threatened to kill himself if he's asked to go back to Leah again. So on top of everything else, Leah has Emily's assault on her conscience as well as the alpha saying he'd rather be dead than with her.

I get so angry at "well they aren't forced into it, its just hard NOT to love someone who loves you so utterly!" defense when one of the most prominent examples of an imprinting relationship has near-murder when the imprinter is rejected. I'm sure Emily felt she would survive rejecting him again. Totally.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

chitoryu12 posted:

[Leah bares her feelings.]

I snarled for a long, angry minute. I was beginning to feel some sympathy for Sam, despite what he had done to me, to Seth.
:fuckoff:

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

It's bad enough that this woman exists and has problems, but Jacob has to hear about these problems. What a burden. For Jacob.

Shwoo fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 21, 2020

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

The book's malice for Leah is horrifying, but I chuckled at the mental image of Edward staring out the window of a darkened house like the world's mopiest ghost.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Just imagine if Leah had shifted first and was the Alpha.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

Leah was trying—for Leah. She kept her jibes to a minimum as she raced around the circuit, but it was impossible not to be aware of her smug mood. I thought of the whole “two’s company” saying. It didn’t really apply, because one was plenty to my mind. But if there had to be three of us, it was hard to think of anyone that I wouldn’t trade her for.

Paul? she suggested.

Maybe, I allowed.

She laughed to herself, too jittery and hyper to get offended. I wondered how long the buzz from dodging Sam’s pity would last.

That will be my goal, then—to be less annoying than Paul.

Yeah, work on that.

Paul, the douchebag who literally tried to murder Jacob's crush the first time he saw her because she puzzled out that werewolves are a thing, is less hated than Leah. How the hell did this get past the editors without question?

quote:

I changed into my other form when I was a few yards from the lawn. I hadn’t been planning to spend much time human here. But I hadn’t been planning to have Leah in my head, either. I pulled on my ragged shorts and started across the lawn.

The door opened before I got to the steps, and I was surprised to see Carlisle rather than Edward step outside to meet me—his face looked exhausted and defeated. For a second, my heart froze. I faltered to a stop, unable to speak.

“Are you all right, Jacob?” Carlisle asked.

“Is Bella?” I choked out.

“She’s… much the same as last night. Did I startle you? I’m sorry. Edward said you were coming in your human form, and I came out to greet you, as he didn’t want to leave her. She’s awake.”

And Edward didn’t want to lose any time with her, because he didn’t have much time left. Carlisle didn’t say the words out loud, but he might as well have.

Edward rapidly zipping between "dramatically flopped over the furniture" spots in the house every few seconds like an Animaniacs character, wailing.

quote:

It had been a while since I’d slept—since before my last patrol. I could really feel that now. I took a step forward, sat down on the porch steps, and slumped against the railing.

Moving whisper-quiet as only a vampire could, Carlisle took a seat on the same step, against the other railing.

“I didn’t get a chance to thank you last night, Jacob. You don’t know how much I appreciate your… compassion. I know your goal was to protect Bella, but I owe you the safety of the rest of my family as well. Edward told me what you had to do.…”

“Don’t mention it,” I muttered.

“If you prefer.”

Please, never bring up that moment ever again.

quote:

We sat in silence. I could hear the others in the house. Emmett, Alice, and Jasper, speaking in low, serious voices upstairs. Esme humming tunelessly in another room. Rosalie and Edward breathing close by—I couldn’t tell which was which, but I could hear the difference in Bella’s labored panting. I could hear her heart, too. It seemed… uneven.

It was like fate was out to make me do everything I’d ever sworn I wouldn’t in the course of twenty-four hours. Here I was, hanging around, waiting for her to die.

I didn’t want to listen anymore. Talking was better than listening.

Not in this book!

quote:

“She’s family to you?” I asked Carlisle. It had caught my notice before, when he’d said I’d helped the rest of his family, too.

“Yes. Bella is already a daughter to me. A beloved daughter.”

“But you’re going to let her die.”

He was quiet long enough that I looked up. His face was very, very tired. I knew how he felt.

“I can imagine what you think of me for that,” he finally said. “But I can’t ignore her will. It wouldn’t be right to make such a choice for her, to force her.”

This is not a normal baby

quote:

I wanted to be angry with him, but he was making it hard. It was like he was throwing my own words back at me, just scrambled up. They’d sounded right before, but they couldn’t be right now. Not with Bella dying. Still… I remembered how it felt to be broken on the ground under Sam—to have no choice but be involved in the murder of someone I loved. It wasn’t the same, though. Sam was wrong. And Bella loved things she shouldn’t.

“Do you think there’s any chance she’ll make it? I mean, as a vampire and all that. She told me about… about Esme.”

“I’d say there’s an even chance at this point,” he answered quietly. “I’ve seen vampire venom work miracles, but there are conditions that even venom cannot overcome. Her heart is working too hard now; if it should fail… there won’t be anything for me to do.”

Meyer will continue to be vague about how vampires work, likely to save her time on thinking.

quote:

Bella’s heartbeat throbbed and faltered, giving an agonizing emphasis to his words.

Maybe the planet had started turning backward. Maybe that would explain how everything was the opposite of what it had been yesterday—how I could be hoping for what had once seemed like the very worst thing in the world.

“What is that thing doing to her?” I whispered. “She was so much worse last night. I saw… the tubes and all that. Through the window.”

“The fetus isn’t compatible with her body. Too strong, for one thing, but she could probably endure that for a while. The bigger problem is that it won’t allow her to get the sustenance she needs. Her body is rejecting every form of nutrition. I’m trying to feed her intravenously, but she’s just not absorbing it. Everything about her condition is accelerated. I’m watching her—and not just her, but the fetus as well—starve to death by the hour. I can’t stop it and I can’t slow it down. I can’t figure out what it wants.” His weary voice broke at the end.

What it wants is so blindingly obvious that I'm surprised Carlisle hasn't tried it. Like, it's downright out of character for him not to realize it.

quote:

I felt the same way I had yesterday, when I’d seen the black stains across her stomach—furious, and a little crazy.

I clenched my hands into fists to control the shaking. I hated the thing that was hurting her. It wasn’t enough for the monster to beat her from the inside out. No, it was starving her, too. Probably just looking for something to sink its teeth into—a throat to suck dry. Since it wasn’t big enough to kill anyone else yet, it settled for sucking Bella’s life from her.

I could tell them exactly what it wanted: death and blood, blood and death.

Jacob just told the reader outright what it is.

quote:

My skin was all hot and prickly. I breathed slowly in and out, focusing on that to calm myself.

“I wish I could get a better idea of what exactly it is,” Carlisle murmured. “The fetus is well protected. I haven’t been able to produce an ultrasonic image. I doubt there is any way to get a needle through the amniotic sac, but Rosalie won’t agree to let me try, in any case.”

“A needle?” I mumbled. “What good would that do?”

“The more I know about the fetus, the better I can estimate what it will be capable of. What I wouldn’t give for even a little amniotic fluid. If I knew even the chromosomal count…”

Rosalie, who we once lauded as having reasonable issues with Bella, is now so crazy that she's refusing to even let Carlisle perform medical procedures to figure out the pregnancy.

quote:

“You’re losing me, Doc. Can you dumb it down?”

He chuckled once—even his laugh sounded exhausted. “Okay. How much biology have you taken? Did you study chromosomal pairs?”

“Think so. We have twenty-three, right?”

“Humans do.”

I blinked. “How many do you have?”

“Twenty-five.”

I frowned at my fists for a second. “What does that mean?”

It means vampires have Klinefelter syndrome!

quote:

“I thought it meant that our species were almost completely different. Less related than a lion and a house cat. But this new life—well, it suggests that we’re more genetically compatible than I’d thought.” He sighed sadly. “I didn’t know to warn them.”

The number of biologists Meyer consulted for research is likely equal to the number of therapists.

quote:

I sighed, too. It had been easy to hate Edward for the same ignorance. I still hated him for it. It was just hard to feel the same way about Carlisle. Maybe because I wasn’t ten shades of jealous in Carlisle’s case.

“It might help to know what the count was—whether the fetus was closer to us or to her. To know what to expect.” Then he shrugged. “And maybe it wouldn’t help anything. I guess I just wish I had something to study, anything to do.”

“Wonder what my chromosomes are like,” I muttered randomly. I thought of those Olympic steroids tests again. Did they run DNA scans?

Carlisle coughed self-consciously. “You have twenty-four pairs, Jacob.”

I turned slowly to stare at him, raising my eyebrows.

He looked embarrassed. “I was… curious. I took the liberty when I was treating you last June.”

I thought about it for a second. “I guess that should piss me off. But I don’t really care.”

"None of this bullshit even matters."

quote:

“I’m sorry. I should have asked.”

“S’okay, Doc. You didn’t mean any harm.”

“No, I promise you that I did not mean you any harm. It’s just that… I find your species fascinating. I suppose that the elements of vampiric nature have come to seem commonplace to me over the centuries. Your family’s divergence from humanity is much more interesting. Magical, almost.”

Would you say, perhaps, that the natives of this land are closer to the earth? More in tune with their pagan selves?

quote:

“Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo,” I mumbled. He was just like Bella with all the magic garbage.

Carlisle laughed another weary laugh.

Then we heard Edward’s voice inside the house, and we both paused to listen.

“I’ll be right back, Bella. I want to speak with Carlisle for a moment. Actually, Rosalie, would you mind accompanying me?” Edward sounded different. There was a little life in his dead voice. A spark of something. Not hope exactly, but maybe the desire to hope.

“What is it, Edward?” Bella asked hoarsely.

“Nothing you need to worry about, love. It will just take a second. Please, Rose?”

“Esme?” Rosalie called. “Can you mind Bella for me?”

I heard the whisper of wind as Esme flitted down the stairs.

“Of course,” she said.

Legitimately surprised this version of Rosalie didn't hiss like a cornered cat and take his arm off.

quote:

Carlisle shifted, twisting to look expectantly at the door. Edward was through the door first, with Rosalie right on his heels. His face was, like his voice, no longer dead. He seemed intensely focused. Rosalie looked suspicious.

Edward shut the door behind her.

“Carlisle,” he murmured.

“What is it, Edward?”

“Perhaps we’ve been going about this the wrong way. I was listening to you and Jacob just now, and when you were speaking of what the… fetus wants, Jacob had an interesting thought.”

Me? What had I thought? Besides my obvious hatred for the thing? At least I wasn’t alone in that. I could tell that Edward had a difficult time using a term as mild as fetus.

"That loving demon."

quote:

“We haven’t actually addressed that angle,” Edward went on. “We’ve been trying to get Bella what she needs. And her body is accepting it about as well as one of ours would. Perhaps we should address the needs of the… fetus first. Maybe if we can satisfy it, we’ll be able to help her more effectively.”

“I’m not following you, Edward,” Carlisle said.

“Think about it, Carlisle. If that creature is more vampire than human, can’t you guess what it craves—what it’s not getting? Jacob did.”

I did? I ran through the conversation, trying to remember what thoughts I’d kept to myself. I remembered at the same time that Carlisle understood.

“Oh,” he said in a surprised tone. “You think it is… thirsty?”

The greatest vampire surgeon in the history of the world, with centuries of knowledge, never once considered "Maybe the partially vampire baby would drink blood."

quote:

Rosalie hissed under her breath. She wasn’t suspicious anymore. Her revoltingly perfect face was all lit up, her eyes wide with excitement. “Of course,” she muttered. “Carlisle, we have all that type O negative laid aside for Bella. It’s a good idea,” she added, not looking at me.

I want to imagine the Cullens just have a fully stocked hospital in their house just in case Bella has yet another tragic accident or decides she needs to become a skydiver or something.

quote:

“Hmm.” Carlisle put his hand to his chin, lost in thought. “I wonder… And then, what would be the best way to administer.…”

Rosalie shook her head. “We don’t have time to be creative. I’d say we should start with the traditional way.”

“Wait a minute,” I whispered. “Just hold on. Are you—are you talking about making Bella drink blood?”

“It was your idea, dog,” Rosalie said, scowling at me without ever quite looking at me.

If you want to get really technical, his idea was "death and blood", so that could also be taken as letting Bella kill a few people.

quote:

I ignored her and watched Carlisle. That same ghost of hope that had been in Edward’s face was now in the doctor’s eyes. He pursed his lips, speculating.

“That’s just…” I couldn’t find the right word.

“Monstrous?” Edward suggested. “Repulsive?”

“Pretty much.”

“But what if it helps her?” he whispered.

I shook my head angrily. “What are you gonna do, shove a tube down her throat?”

Bake it into black pudding, you wimp!

quote:

“I plan to ask her what she thinks. I just wanted to run it past Carlisle first.”

Rosalie nodded. “If you tell her it might help the baby, she’ll be willing to do anything. Even if we do have to feed them through a tube.”

I realized then—when I heard how her voice got all loveydovey as she said the word baby—that Blondie would be in line with anything that helped the little life-sucking monster. Was that what was going on, the mystery factor that was bonding the two of them? Was Rosalie after the kid?

From the corner of my eye, I saw Edward nod once, absently, not looking in my direction. But I knew he was answering my questions.

In his defense, Jacob doesn't know about Rosalie's past. In Meyer's not-defense, the audience is fully aware and doesn't really need to have things spelled out this blatantly.

quote:

Huh. I wouldn’t have thought the ice-cold Barbie would have a maternal side. So much for protecting Bella—Rosalie’d probably jam the tube down Bella’s throat herself.

Edward’s mouth mashed into a hard line, and I knew I was right again.

“Well, we don’t have time to sit around discussing this,” Rosalie said impatiently. “What do you think, Carlisle? Can we try?”

Carlisle took a deep breath, and then he was on his feet. “We’ll ask Bella.”

Blondie smiled smugly—sure that, if it was up to Bella, she would get her way.

I miss the old Rosalie that I could like.

quote:

I dragged myself up from the stairs and followed after them as they disappeared into the house. I wasn’t sure why. Just morbid curiosity, maybe. It was like a horror movie. Monsters and blood all over the place.

Maybe I just couldn’t resist another hit of my dwindling drug supply.

Bella lay flat on the hospital bed, her belly a mountain under the sheet. She looked like wax—colorless and sort of see-through. You’d think she was already dead, except for the tiny movement of her chest, her shallow breathing. And then her eyes, following the four of us with exhausted suspicion.

The others were at her side already, flitting across the room with sudden darting motions. It was creepy to watch. I ambled along at a slow walk.

Again, cartoon characters.

quote:

“What’s going on?” Bella demanded in a scratchy whisper. Her waxy hand twitched up—like she was trying to protect her balloon-shaped stomach.

“Jacob had an idea that might help you,” Carlisle said. I wished he would leave me out of it. I hadn’t suggested anything. Give the credit to her bloodsucking husband, where it belonged.

“It won’t be… pleasant, but—”

“But it will help the baby,” Rosalie interrupted eagerly. “We’ve thought of a better way to feed him. Maybe.”

Bella’s eyelids fluttered. Then she coughed out a weak chuckle. “Not pleasant?” she whispered. “Gosh, that’ll be such a change.” She eyed the tube stuck into her arm and coughed again.

Blondie laughed with her.

The girl looked like she only had hours left, and she had to be in pain, but she was making jokes. So Bella. Trying to ease the tension, make it better for everyone else.

I thought Bella's character was to cry, gasp, and faint dramatically while other people did all the work?

quote:

Edward stepped around Rosalie, no humor touching his intense expression. I was glad for that. It helped, just a little bit, that he was suffering worse than me. He took her hand, not the one that was still protecting her swollen belly.

“Bella, love, we’re going to ask you to do something monstrous,” he said, using the same adjectives he’d offered me. “Repulsive.”

"Something only those dirty foreigners do."

quote:

Well, at least he was giving it to her straight.

She took a shallow, fluttery breath. “How bad?”

Carlisle answered. “We think the fetus might have an appetite closer to ours than to yours. We think it’s thirsty.”

She blinked. “Oh. Oh.”

“Your condition—both of your conditions—are deteriorating rapidly. We don’t have time to waste, to come up with more palatable ways to do this. The fastest way to test the theory—”

“I’ve got to drink it,” she whispered. She nodded slightly—barely enough energy for a little head bob. “I can do that. Practice for the future, right?” Her colorless lips stretched into a faint grin as she looked at Edward. He didn’t smile back.

Rosalie started tapping her toe impatiently. The sound was really irritating. I wondered what she would do if I threw her through a wall right now.

Chill.

quote:

“So, who’s going to catch me a grizzly bear?” Bella whispered.

Carlisle and Edward exchanged a quick glance. Rosalie stopped tapping.

“What?” Bella asked.

“It will be a more effective test if we don’t cut corners, Bella,” Carlisle said.

If the fetus is craving blood,” Edward explained, “it’s not craving animal blood.”

“It won’t make a difference to you, Bella. Don’t think about it,” Rosalie encouraged.

Bella’s eyes widened. “Who?” she breathed, and her gaze flickered to me.

You live with a doctor and the first thing you think of is "All right, who do I need to drain?"

quote:

“I’m not here as a donor, Bells,” I grumbled. “’Sides, it’s human blood that thing’s after, and I don’t think mine applies—”

“We have blood on hand,” Rosalie told her, talking over me before I’d finished, like I wasn’t there. “For you—just in case. Don’t worry about anything at all. It’s going to be fine. I have a good feeling about this, Bella. I think the baby will be so much better.”

Bella’s hand ran across her stomach.

“Well,” she rasped, barely audible. “I’m starving, so I’ll bet he is, too.” Trying to make another joke. “Let’s go for it. My first vampire act.”

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

At this point I'm expecting Carlisle to start using chromosomes like some kind of power level.

"The reading is off the chart. Over 20,000. Even Master Yoda doesn't have a chromosome count that high."

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Isn't Meyer a mother? How do you give birth multiple times and not know how fetal nutrition works? Does she think a fetus is literally in a woman's stomach, gobbling up food? Even worse, why does her doctor character seem to think that fetuses have access to the digestive system? Is it poking a straw through the amniotic sac and into the stomach? Is Mormon sex ed this bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Given the baby crazy on display here its astonishing Rosalie never made a vampire child.