Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Eyebots are annoying yeah... but who the gently caress thought Flaming Eyes were a good idea is the real question, imo.

^this post made while uncontrollably vomiting up greyish goo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Dandywalken posted:

Eyebots are annoying yeah... but who the gently caress thought Flaming Eyes were a good idea is the real question, imo.

^this post made while uncontrollably vomiting up greyish goo

Good news. You're not the only one to think this!

quote:

Purpose of change
Flaming eyes causing teleglow immediately upon seeing the player was little more than a tedious anti-fungal tax than a real danger, especially later on. Tindalos rifts were hardcoded into teleglow, which made it practically impossible to use it on its own.

Describe the solution
Flaming eyes now cause insanity, flavor-texted as "taint" to the player, causing constant hallucinations while debilitating the character. Effect gets stronger the longer you're seen, and at high intensity levels will begin creating Hounds of Tindalos rifts. This is by no means a nerf to flaming eyes. The intention is to make them genuinely challenging without lasers.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

drat, I may have to upgrade to a more recent build then. Is the new inventory mechanic pretty stable now?

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Think it's still pretty messed up, I'm giving it a solid month.

Chobayt
Oct 9, 2012
Are NPC's bad at using guns? I rolled up on a town with my posse, all armed with M4's and we filed out of the humvee to form a firing line as the zombies made their way to us. I started shooting and the rest of the gang just stood there until the zombies were literally next to them, only then would they fire.

I guess I could just give them all shotguns so they can just blammo zombies when they get close but that's a lot less cool than standing in the middle of an intersection with my pals and painting a red line in each cardinal direction.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Dandywalken posted:

drat, I may have to upgrade to a more recent build then. Is the new inventory mechanic pretty stable now?

The change hasn't been merged yet and the inventory is still wonky. My advice is to play 0.E and spawn in antifungal pills when you get fungal infections for no reason.

Also, Flaming Eyes used to fuckin' shoot instant death lasers from 50 meters out (or so I have heard), so be grateful someone decided that was lame, I guess.

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 15, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I've just met my first kevlar zombie(not a hulk) and drat that is one hardy bastard. My machete did like 5 damage on a crit and my quarterstaff did nothing at all. Luckily he bashed me away which gave me time to whip out the mossberg and unload into him. Took five shells to put him down.

Are there any melee weapons that actually work against them?

E: The basement I was pulling enemies from also had a devourer. It took six direct shotgun blasts to the face and a few more swings with the machete before it died. It must have chomped on a few zombies while down there because the shotgun blasts did something in the range of 200 combined damage according to the log. loving hell...

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 15, 2020

Chobayt
Oct 9, 2012
Basing this on looking at the armor of a kevlar vest, he should be susceptible to bashing damage so maybe smack some iron on your quarterstaff. Or find a mace/sledge. Are your skills ok? I think those affect damage and to-hit.

Alternatively, I've not found anything yet that can stand up to my humvee slamming into it at 30+mph.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Chobayt posted:

Basing this on looking at the armor of a kevlar vest, he should be susceptible to bashing damage so maybe smack some iron on your quarterstaff. Or find a mace/sledge. Are your skills ok? I think those affect damage and to-hit.

Alternatively, I've not found anything yet that can stand up to my humvee slamming into it at 30+mph.
Cars aren't really an option for in-door fighting :v:

But yeah it could be that my staff didn't do poo poo because my bash is still at 3 with melee 4.

Also the basement I was clearing must have been packed to the brim

I took this shot before I was done with the basement. All of this had been pulled out of it at that point. The devourer is offscreen because I had to kite it a bit. When I went back down again I found another 10+ zombies and like 15 more roaches :gibs:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Man, I gotta say, for my first time experimenting with melee weapon training, these skills are crazy. I used Niten and a 2xsword and managed to get my way out of a 15-zombie horde, even without being able to use any massive movement strategies (I was stuck inside a car with a malfunctioning engine I tried forever to hotwire). Got out with an injured leg and a bite but I was able to easily heal. I immediately killed myself because I had actually save scummed the fight after trying to flee once unsuccessfully, I just wanted to see if it was possible to have lived.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I'm starting to think my current game is bugged out, which is a pity because it's going fairly well. It's day 25, I've been driving the past few days, and even the survivor maps and things aren't showing cities.
There was some kind of brief error message on reading a restaurant guide I didn't think to catch, something like could not add quest items or something.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

You're playing with city distance at the max right? I'm guessing the restaurant guide tried to reveal valid buildings within its overmap 'zone' (roughly 200x200 chunk? IDR), but there weren't any because no cities. It's possible that no cities spawn at all at max distance, but most likely they're just extremely rare.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I once had a game where I set city distance to like 8 and eventually I used debug mode to show the map and there was literally zero cities in the overmap. I had to go into options and lower the distance and then enter a new overmap to get some cities going.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Yeah the debug command reveals one overmap zone. On higher city distance settings there's clearly no guarantee of at least one city per zone. I usually play with 5 city distance and 10 size.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Yeah it's entirely possible for Distance 8 cities to result in not seeing a settlement for an incredible length of time. I typically go with 4 to 6 nowadays for exactly that reason.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Thanks. Yeah, so if I drive far enough, it may spawn a new city, otherwise edit the world settings when I get bored of wandering?
Hope I can keep the save, I managed to scavenge up some advanced solar panels and had to grind up mechanics to install them on my RV.

Also what the hell was written in that restaurant guide with no restaurants? To serve man?

Edit
So if I edit it to like, 16&0, it should generate a megacity the next time I cross an overmap border?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You can keep it, you'll just need to pick a direction and keep going until you load in a new "overmap". Those don't get generated until you enter them and they pull from whatever current settings is on the world gen, not what it was on creation. So in my case I had one overmap with no cities in it and then the next overmap was practically all city cause I overcompensated and lowered the city distance. Which was kinda cool actually

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Megacity runs are really fun but much harder, especially with wander spawns on.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Tin Tim posted:

I've just met my first kevlar zombie(not a hulk) and drat that is one hardy bastard. My machete did like 5 damage on a crit and my quarterstaff did nothing at all. Luckily he bashed me away which gave me time to whip out the mossberg and unload into him. Took five shells to put him down.

Are there any melee weapons that actually work against them?

E: The basement I was pulling enemies from also had a devourer. It took six direct shotgun blasts to the face and a few more swings with the machete before it died. It must have chomped on a few zombies while down there because the shotgun blasts did something in the range of 200 combined damage according to the log. loving hell...

Looking at its stats, the best weapon would probably be a molotov or something to burn it to death. I'd try and lure it outdoors or just straight up avoid it if I can't get it outdoors.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Palcontent posted:

Megacity runs are really fun but much harder, especially with wander spawns on.

They do make me wish that businesses and such weren't so heavily concentrated in the middle of cities. You get this big megacity then gotta slog through 5+ blocks of just housing to get to the interesting stuff.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I mean that does accurately model suburbia, I suppose.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Clearing blocks is for cowards. You gotta rip right up to the door of your destination in a deathmobile, hop out, and lay waste to everything with your giant stacks of .223 ammo and wand of fireball. Doesn't matter how much in-fill there is when you drive right past it. :whatup:

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Ah so you're survivor zombies I keep finding.

I know it wouldn't work but if this game had something similar to dungeon crawl stone soup where you could find the zombies/corpse of other players it'd be great.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

tokenbrownguy posted:

Clearing blocks is for cowards. You gotta rip right up to the door of your destination in a deathmobile, hop out, and lay waste to everything with your giant stacks of .223 ammo and wand of fireball. Doesn't matter how much in-fill there is when you drive right past it. :whatup:

:hai:

Drive into the middle of the city and fire off the loudest gun or bomb you have. :getin:

e; How can I get my fat rear end to lose some weight. (And in game)

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 15, 2020

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Ms Adequate posted:

Drive into the middle of the city and fire off the loudest gun or bomb you have. :getin:

I'm reminded of people advising looting a house and then setting it on fire. The house on fire would start collapsing, which makes huge amounts of noise and draws in zombies. This means you could go in a different direction and be relatively safe.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Dirk the Average posted:

I'm reminded of people advising looting a house and then setting it on fire. The house on fire would start collapsing, which makes huge amounts of noise and draws in zombies. This means you could go in a different direction and be relatively safe.

Yeah I used this strategy in my last run to kill off a Migo that was hanging around my town. Yelled to lure it in, lost it through a bunch of corners and doors, set the house on fire

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Okay, thanks! I'll edit my settings to 16/0 next time and hope I didn't need to grind anything else before hitting the city. Might even leave it that way for another month, like I've just wandered out of the Cursed Earth and into MegaCity One.

Is there a way to get a full world map of all my explorations so far? It might be cool to see just how far I've travelled.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah I used this strategy in my last run to kill off a Migo that was hanging around my town. Yelled to lure it in, lost it through a bunch of corners and doors, set the house on fire

Migo posted:

You hear "Crash x5" x2
You hear "Crunch x1." x2

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Carcer posted:

I know it wouldn't work but if this game had something similar to dungeon crawl stone soup where you could find the zombies/corpse of other players it'd be great.
I think if you set the world end handling to keep, you can find your previous characters bodies and changes they've made to the map iirc.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

If you're just 'overweight' it means nothing. It's difficult to go farther unless you started that way, in which case its a challenge I've never attempted.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

Used to be the answer was to just stop eating for days on end until you stopped getting health penelties, I dunno if that's a strong move anymore with this vitamin poo poo though. Maybe just switch to healthy drinks for awhile until your weight level is where you want it?

Alternately install a Leukocyte Breeder and Metabolic Interchange and start living large.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Tin Tim posted:

There is a certain type of silo that actually spawns with a door but it seems very rare. Have only seen it once so far and all the other silos I've seen have thick metal walls all around so I'm not sure if these contain grain

I've only ever used the doorless ones, they contain a lot of grain. Easy to get into, really. A pickaxe or Jackhammer will get you in, and jackhammers are plentiful in subways. Also vehicle crashes, and you can just bash the wall down with a strong enough blunt weapon.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Palcontent posted:

If you're just 'overweight' it means nothing. It's difficult to go farther unless you started that way, in which case its a challenge I've never attempted.

What about for friendly NPCs? Keeping the faction camp's larder stocked (I think this is the cause at least) has resulted in the six former prisoners of the Mi-Go becoming morbidly obese in about half a season.

I feel like I'll need to craft those chairs from Wall-E at this rate.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Dirk the Average posted:

Fair warning: if your computer is a shitbox like mine, this may cause significant lag between turns whenever you're anywhere near the fire.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I've only ever used the doorless ones, they contain a lot of grain. Easy to get into, really. A pickaxe or Jackhammer will get you in, and jackhammers are plentiful in subways. Also vehicle crashes, and you can just bash the wall down with a strong enough blunt weapon.
Interesting. I'm still sitting on like 200+ grain that I picked up from the field but now I know where I can easily gather more

I'm currently in the process of building up and planning out my current base. I don't have a basement and as I understand it that might become a problem in winter. Like I store all my liquids in 60l tanks that I've placed around the areas where I need them but apparently those will freeze in winter? If that's the case can I prevent that from happening by stuffing them into a root cellar?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Underground is more temp stable, yeah. Vehicle tanks on vehiclea with working engines will also defrost, so you could make a potable water and generator combo with a tank, a 1 cylinder engine, alternator and storage battery.

Or install the tank on your car or whatever.

Edit: Fireplaces in an enclosed area also bring temp up so that works too.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Hi everyone, just started playing this game ~5 days ago and man, am I hooked. So much granularity, so many interesting little tidbits and possibilities and interactions. Definitely scratches the same itch that Caves of Qud does.

I got a question about vehicles in the road. Is there a way to go about getting car wrecks out of the road so you can pass by streets they're blocking by car? One of my biggest annoyances while travelling is having to circumnavigate major urban/suburban arteries blocked by inconveniently placed cars, and I don't know if it's possible to, say, completely dismantle them or shove them out of the way or something.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You can dismantle them piece-by-piece with the right tools. You can blow them the gently caress up with explosives. You can gently nudge them with your own vehicle and hope they roll out of the way. You can smash into them with an 80-ton armoured vehicle moving $waytoofast and watch the metal fly.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Hi everyone, just started playing this game ~5 days ago and man, am I hooked. So much granularity, so many interesting little tidbits and possibilities and interactions. Definitely scratches the same itch that Caves of Qud does.

I got a question about vehicles in the road. Is there a way to go about getting car wrecks out of the road so you can pass by streets they're blocking by car? One of my biggest annoyances while travelling is having to circumnavigate major urban/suburban arteries blocked by inconveniently placed cars, and I don't know if it's possible to, say, completely dismantle them or shove them out of the way or something.

The holy secret cure for all annoying cars.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Didn't they just add tow cables? Or are those not in yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

poo poo, guess I better work on my cooking skills. Or I better figure out how to get some chains to make a towing cable. Thanks guys!