Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

I really like that case too.

When I was in college I built a Shuttle XPC and really loved that form factor. At the time I didn't want a laptop, but still wanted portability to take it with me when I went home between semesters.

Part of it eventually failed and I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it, but it had a good run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Meta; What was the experience of building inside it like?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Count me in among those who started looking into this.

From what I've seen, building with that case is actually really easy, since all 6 sides come off and you work with just the frame. Kinda wild.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Some to the SFF build thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776587

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I started to look into getting a rad mITX case until I realized all the ones I liked were only available as kickstarter type projects and no one had any in stock and if they did they would still be $200-300.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Coredump posted:

From a left handed mouse perspective the number pad makes a pretty good place for wasd like keys. Thumb can use 0 key for spacebar/jump. Pinky has access to enter key and plus key, etc etc.

The FF7 PC release back in the day had the controls mapped entirely to the numpad, it was actually kinda neat. Whole game was played one-handed.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

isndl posted:

The FF7 PC release back in the day had the controls mapped entirely to the numpad, it was actually kinda neat. Whole game was played one-handed.
We get it, you liked Tifa.

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

What the flip was Grandma doing at the dunes?

The Lord Bude posted:

Not too bad. The trickiest part were the ribbons which were kind of annoying to work with in such a small space. The other tricky part was the small screws for the sliding rails that you mount some parts to. I would still recommend the case though! Not deal breakers, just some minor inconveniences.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

meta² posted:

Not too bad. The trickiest part were the ribbons which were kind of annoying to work with in such a small space. The other tricky part was the small screws for the sliding rails that you mount some parts to. I would still recommend the case though! Not deal breakers, just some minor inconveniences.

Did you put in an AIO cooler? If I was building in that I'd want a 280mm rad.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
that reminds me so much of the shuttle pc i had 15 years ago and i loved it & that mITX build definitely makes me want to go that route again one day.

now to get a little rear end ducky keyboard like this one

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=5530

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Thom P. Tiers posted:

People who have been stuck on arrow keys since early 2000's. Also, numpads are widely used as binds for other things in game (I use a numpad for CSGO buy binds). I have a small keyboard with a side numpad for this, since I'm not always playing CSGO, though.
Everyone that does numerical data entry is obsessed with numpads like my dad, but he's retired now. However, they can buy separate ones these days if they need them. Works better to have your numpad separated anyway like split keyboards if that's the kind of workflow required.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Wait, what? I’m trying to picture this and all I see is somebody either splayed out in front of a desk sideways and/or like one of the pilot’s chairs from the ships in the Matrix. Like a dentist’s chair surrounded by displays.

Do you have any idea what used dentist chairs go for? Its insane (or probably perfectly reasonable but disappointing). The real question is what the refurbishers pay for them, and how to make friends with dentists.

necrobobsledder posted:

Everyone that does numerical data entry is obsessed with numpads like my dad, but he's retired now. However, they can buy separate ones these days if they need them. Works better to have your numpad separated anyway like split keyboards if that's the kind of workflow required.

Honestly if you're working a 10key the rest of the keyboard is an afterthought.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

necrobobsledder posted:

my brother is in finance, formerly a bank teller / manager and uses top row. i don't get it. i assume the keyboards he worked on at the bank were some OEM dogshit which had a hosed up numpad or something.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

necrobobsledder posted:

I work for a European company that has é in the name the company our main software. I was specifically told by marketing to make sure I use the é and not just be lazy and type o. In a Windows keyboard that requires ALT+0233 to enter. The 0233 have to be from the number pad, and not from the top row. It's a pain since I have to use quite a bit. On a laptop, I have to open up character map to get it, so for my desk I like to have a ten keyless. That said, I have this keyboard:

keychron k4, it's a 90% ten key. It's pretty good, not great, but good.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Autohotkey script the é.

Also, I used to frequently use alt 0163 for the £ till I sensibly switched to a British keyboard (I live in Britain, but had a US keyboard for a long time).

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
You can just switch the keyboard language without switching actual, physical keyboard. I lived in the states long enough to get used to a US layout but I'm Swedish so pretty often I need to write ÅÄÖ. So I've got both US QWERTY and Swedish QWERTY layouts installed, and use the windows default layout swap hotkey of win-space. Most OSs will offer something similar.

The one con is that since the layouts are so similar I'm sometimes in the wrong one without noticing until I try typing () and find their positions are off by one or something like that. Also by default windows also swaps layouts with ctrl-shift which is a little too easy to accidentally press, especially in games; fortunately it can be disabled.

If you're an american and find yourself needing a lot of non-US characters then you can try using the US International layout. It's a layout for a standard physical US keyboard with mostly the same standard keybinds, but changes the quotes to be dead keys for common diacritics and adds direct shortcuts for the most common combinations (like altgr-e for é). In some MS applications like word you can also use ctrl-' as a dead key for an acute accent by default. Of course, if the only non-ascii character you need is "é" then this is probably overkill.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Xerophyte posted:

You can just switch the keyboard language without switching actual, physical keyboard. I lived in the states long enough to get used to a US layout but I'm Swedish so pretty often I need to write ÅÄÖ. So I've got both US QWERTY and Swedish QWERTY layouts installed, and use the windows default layout swap hotkey of win-space. Most OSs will offer something similar.

The one con is that since the layouts are so similar I'm sometimes in the wrong one without noticing until I try typing () and find their positions are off by one or something like that. Also by default windows also swaps layouts with ctrl-shift which is a little too easy to accidentally press, especially in games; fortunately it can be disabled.

If you're an american and find yourself needing a lot of non-US characters then you can try using the US International layout. It's a layout for a standard physical US keyboard with mostly the same standard keybinds, but changes the quotes to be dead keys for common diacritics and adds direct shortcuts for the most common combinations (like altgr-e for é). In some MS applications like word you can also use ctrl-' as a dead key for an acute accent by default. Of course, if the only non-ascii character you need is "é" then this is probably overkill.

Yeah but Windows thinks to change the keyboard language back whenever it feels like, which is annoying.

I just got a new keyboard as I needed one anyway and because the UK physical keys are little bit different too (bigger Enter key, extra \ key on the bottom left).

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
I'll post a pic in maybe a couple weeks once my basement is finished, but I just got an 80x30 Uplift Desk and I have to say my initial impressions are very good.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I work for a European company that has é in the name the company our main software. I was specifically told by marketing to make sure I use the é and not just be lazy and type o. In a Windows keyboard that requires ALT+0233 to enter.

Lmao no it doesn't get a real keyboard :smuggo:

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
WIP

need: non-lovely chair, better monitor arms

Anyone know an arm that can handle a 27" and a 42"?

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
WTH is going on with that backward facing monitor and recessed keyboard?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
That is my old monitor, like I said, WIP. I can't really use my speakers until I figure out some kind of arm/stand solution where I can have the 42" monitor raised above the 27" one.

And I have two keyboards plugged in for different things, I just keep the other one in back.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

BabyRyoga posted:

WIP

Nice Decco on the shelf collecting dust. I also have on doing the same. :v:

I also have a broken old 24" monitor pointed backwards currently, waiting for new one coming next week before I bother moving around my whole desk.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Does this count?

Don’t have a desk anymore since moving onto our one bed flat, but have opted for the K63 wireless keyboard and lapboard. Still choosing what wireless mouse I want to get.

It’s pretty sweet to be able to play KB/M games sitting on my sofa and still be able to switch to a controller if I feel like doing so.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Upgraded the home office a bit:

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Taima posted:

Upgraded the home office a bit:

Holy poo poo your laptop is about to fall off. This is making me anxious. Please take an other picture with it not on the edge so I can rest easy. Also that's the Ikea counter right? I have it too with those Alex drawers. How stable is it on legs?

E: Your ipad too! FFS man get a grip!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Yeah just an Ikea Karlsby. The legs are super stable, I don't notice it moving or anything. Adding the fifth leg in the back-center is highly recommended though, I'm not sure how stable it would be with just the 4 corners.

And hah, good point about the laptop, but the center of gravity is actually more over the front of the laptop due to the way the weight is distributed. I agree it looks wonky though - I moved it forward :)

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Taima posted:

Yeah just an Ikea Karlsby. The legs are super stable, I don't notice it moving or anything. Adding the fifth leg in the back-center is highly recommended though, I'm not sure how stable it would be with just the 4 corners.

And hah, good point about the laptop, but the center of gravity is actually more over the front of the laptop due to the way the weight is distributed. I agree it looks wonky though - I moved it forward :)

Neat! Yeah it's a pretty awesome surface, I've been loving it. Mind if I ask what support you're using for your headphones? I could use something like what you've got going on.

Thanks the laptop update, btw.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
This is a weird question I haven't see anyone attempt to answer on the internet: I am blessed to have the classic Ikea Galant large L shape sectioned desk. I'm not a fan of the crappy plain black top on it and was curious if anyone has ever attempted to remove the top and drop one of the ikea counter tops on the frame? A couple of Karlbys on top would look pretty nice.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Gimrigz posted:

Neat! Yeah it's a pretty awesome surface, I've been loving it. Mind if I ask what support you're using for your headphones? I could use something like what you've got going on.

You bet!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F21RGT9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

This is by far the best one I've used. The adhesive they use is ridiculously strong. I assume if you stuck it to a person, they would have to walk around with it forever, until they died.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Gimrigz posted:

This isn't adhesive like the OP's but if you are near a Container Store they carry cheap headphone hooks that clamp onto a desktop. Once you get them cranked on tight enough they're really stable, and I don't think I paid much for it or I wouldn't have impulse bought it.

Edit: https://www.containerstore.com/s/yamazaki-beautes-desk-headphone-hanger/d?productId=11004379&q=headphone

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Taima posted:

You bet!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F21RGT9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

This is by far the best one I've used. The adhesive they use is ridiculously strong. I assume if you stuck it to a person, they would have to walk around with it forever, until they died.

RichterIX posted:

This isn't adhesive like the OP's but if you are near a Container Store they carry cheap headphone hooks that clamp onto a desktop. Once you get them cranked on tight enough they're really stable, and I don't think I paid much for it or I wouldn't have impulse bought it.

Edit: https://www.containerstore.com/s/yamazaki-beautes-desk-headphone-hanger/d?productId=11004379&q=headphone

Thanks to the both of you!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

RichterIX posted:

Wow I think that product shot is on the exact same desk I just posted.

Anyways more power to people who like the hanging ones. I am kind of OCD about it and find the adhesive ones to be much, much more stealth and less obtrusive. That being said I can't argue with the price.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

Wow I think that product shot is on the exact same desk I just posted.

Anyways more power to people who like the hanging ones. I am kind of OCD about it and find the adhesive ones to be much, much more stealth and less obtrusive. That being said I can't argue with the price.

I ordered one of these and a couple other things for my home desk over a month ago and nothing has shipped yet. I’m not complaining, my plastic drawers are not important, but just an FYI if you’re thinking of making an online order.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

BabyRyoga posted:

WIP

Nice setup. Seeing that desk reminds me of my current pain of trying to find a very long (enough space for my girlfriend's computer too - I guess 2m would be enough unless she starts playing around with multiple monitors) desk for when I move into a house I bought.

It's surprisingly hard to find larger desks. Fashion seems to be people only have tiny desks that aren't useful for anything bigger than a laptop. Normies, I guess. There are some nice executive desks but I don't need returns. Might just pay someone to make something, and that way I can get some cable management holes that match my needs.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Neurosis posted:

Nice setup. Seeing that desk reminds me of my current pain of trying to find a very long (enough space for my girlfriend's computer too - I guess 2m would be enough unless she starts playing around with multiple monitors) desk for when I move into a house I bought.

It's surprisingly hard to find larger desks. Fashion seems to be people only have tiny desks that aren't useful for anything bigger than a laptop. Normies, I guess. There are some nice executive desks but I don't need returns. Might just pay someone to make something, and that way I can get some cable management holes that match my needs.

Just buy a longass piece of butcher block and enough legs to give it some stability in the middle. Butcher block can be expensive though.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Made myself an adjustable desk with a frame and Home Depot acacia countertop for around $450 together in the end which is a lot cheaper than if I had tried to buy a 6' long adjustable desk.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

RichterIX posted:

Just buy a longass piece of butcher block and enough legs to give it some stability in the middle. Butcher block can be expensive though.

I needed a sturdier desk to replace my decades old Ikea cardboard desk, so I bought someone's used oaken kitchen countertop and screwed the Ikea legs on it.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
Getting something cheap/free and re-purposing it is the best.

Don't know how much capability you have as far as transportation, but second-hand stores are great sources for old huge executive desks. Not the easiest now with all the shutdowns, but there is also FB Marketplace and maybe Craigslist (though CL is rapidly declining).

Habitat Resale and Salvation Army have stores, and they very often have huge old school and executive desks in them. The older the desk is the more likely you are to find a solid top too.

Take what you want, put nice sturdy legs under it, and there ya go. A couple of the Habitat resale stores near me usually have an assortment of desk legs as well. A quick sand, depending on if it is laminate or not depends on how much sanding you can do, and some finish can be done for 20-30 bucks, and that is including a cheap powered hand sander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Basement desktop chat: With the addition of a 2nd child my office space in a room with Windows has disappeared. Any tips for improving my work space that has no natural light? Any houseplants that can survive in a basement?