Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Never even thought about it before, but given that you can get faucets which attach via hoses, you could hook them up any old where.

Have the hot water tap on the wall in front of you and the cold water inside the basin itself. Why the gently caress not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Y’all still think those involve water?

The left one is the circuit breaker for the kitchen microwave. The right one controls the ceiling fan in the guest bedroom. The sink drain plug opens the garage door.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Bad Munki posted:

Y’all still think those involve water?

The left one is the circuit breaker for the kitchen microwave. The right one controls the ceiling fan in the guest bedroom. The sink drain plug opens the garage door.

The real cold water tap is the jade elephant statue inside the mirror cabinet

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

canyoneer posted:

The real cold water tap is the jade elephant statue inside the mirror cabinet

And that's why you don't let the Umbrella Corporation bid on contracts for remodelling your bathroom.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

corgski posted:

This thread is on fire and I am even more surprised this house isn't. :supaburn:

(living room chimney looking up)

Crossposting from my house thread: One of the fireplaces in my house from the late teens has a piece of wood just hanging out in the smoke box right behind the lintel. It's been there for a while too if the soot and creosote buildup is anything to go by.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Never even thought about it before, but given that you can get faucets which attach via hoses, you could hook them up any old where.

Have the hot water tap on the wall in front of you and the cold water inside the basin itself. Why the gently caress not.

lol if you don’t have fly‐by‐wire controls

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Warmachine posted:

That breaker panel was the biggest yikes moment, but I'm glad they included the voice over for "and the furnace is doing it's job."

In ~ 2010, I had a gaming PC with dual watercooled overclocked 8800GTX GPUs and an Opteron processor. It drew a staggering amount of power when booting up a game, but at the desktop it idled fine. The apartment I was in put like 14 outlets on one breaker (which would trip occasionally), so most power draw from plug-in devices went through that circuit. One night, I started Oblivion, and the lights flickered and I heard a "bzzft" noise from elsewhere. The PC shut down, but the lights kept flickering. I went to the breaker box, and the offending circuit was spraying sparks out the front of the breaker switch. I smacked it with a broom handle until it shut off, and called emergency maintenance.

Now, mind you, the complex just had a unit burn to the ground like two weeks prior. Maintenance guy comes out, flips the breaker back on, gets showered in sparks, goes "eh you've got too many things plugged in", shuts it off, and leaves. Like, maybe I did -- but, "spraying sparks out the front" is not a failure mode of a breaker I'm ok with! It took them like a week to replace it, and I just took it because I was young and didn't know I had rights :(

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

insta posted:

In ~ 2010, I had a gaming PC with dual watercooled overclocked 8800GTX GPUs and an Opteron processor. It drew a staggering amount of power when booting up a game, but at the desktop it idled fine. The apartment I was in put like 14 outlets on one breaker (which would trip occasionally), so most power draw from plug-in devices went through that circuit. One night, I started Oblivion, and the lights flickered and I heard a "bzzft" noise from elsewhere. The PC shut down, but the lights kept flickering. I went to the breaker box, and the offending circuit was spraying sparks out the front of the breaker switch. I smacked it with a broom handle until it shut off, and called emergency maintenance.

Now, mind you, the complex just had a unit burn to the ground like two weeks prior. Maintenance guy comes out, flips the breaker back on, gets showered in sparks, goes "eh you've got too many things plugged in", shuts it off, and leaves. Like, maybe I did -- but, "spraying sparks out the front" is not a failure mode of a breaker I'm ok with! It took them like a week to replace it, and I just took it because I was young and didn't know I had rights :(

I guess you must have lived in my unit back in 2010. Good news is the breaker panel doesn't spray sparks anymore. Bad news is that the wiring diagram is still nonsense and my bedroom on the 2nd floor west wall is connecting to a basement living room on the southeast wall, and so the breaker trips when someone decides they want to run a vacuum on that circuit. I have no idea about intermediate connections, but I suspect they are just as goofy.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Megillah Gorilla posted:

"Concealed deck mount".

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Pay a lovely wage get a lovely job done.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

"Look mortar fills in the gaps so just toss the bricks in a pile pump the mud in bingo bongo wall."

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

there are two homes in my neighborhood that have intentionally hosed up brickwork like that. I guess it's supposed to look whimsical or something?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

It's like they started out amateur, but not *completely* lovely - there's at least an attempt to line up the bricks - and then got drunk.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

brugroffil posted:

there are two homes in my neighborhood that have intentionally hosed up brickwork like that. I guess it's supposed to look whimsical or something?

Yes. You see the mason's lines in the brick laying picture? The bricks are more or less following them. I suppose as long as it's a decorative wall and not a very tall one the irregular brick mosaic will work just fine.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

it's like that photo of the spider spinning a web under the influence of various drugs

"this is bricklayers on caffeine, this is bricklayers on meth, this is bricklayers on LSD..."

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
It's a single-wythe wall and all the randomly-turned bricks fall within the mason's lines, so I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be a course of decorative wild bond in a nonstructural wall

Whether it looks good is up for debate but they're doing it deliberately for the effect

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

it's like that photo of the spider spinning a web under the influence of various drugs

"this is bricklayers on caffeine, this is bricklayers on meth, this is bricklayers on LSD..."

If bricklayers can't get the job done under the influence of drugs, how do you explain the majority of drywall guys?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

canyoneer posted:

If bricklayers can't get the job done under the influence of drugs, how do you explain the majority of drywall guys?

Concrete finishers too. I've yet to deal with a sober one while they were at work.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Concrete finishers too. I've yet to deal with a sober one while they were at work.

I counted myself thankful when, after I got the foundation slab for my workshop poured, there was only one empty bottle of tequila left behind.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I counted myself thankful when, after I got the foundation slab for my workshop poured, there was only one empty bottle of tequila left behind.

The rest are now "clear rebar".

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yooper posted:

Hey, I don't want to live in a world lacking load-bearing tequila

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/Hammermime/status/1260044915100303360

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Need to drop a gopro down there and let someone else view the footage. I don't want to be the first one to see Samara.

Seven days

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

PainterofCrap posted:

Hey, I don't want to live in a world lacking load-bearing tequila

That's the nickname I earned at spring break '06 in Cancun

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Life finds a way

https://twitter.com/michaelleepope/status/1261076880914030596?s=21

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Did they just lay a road on top of a rail?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

By popular demand posted:

Yeah, it happens with abandoned railroad and trolley lines. Where I work, a lot of buildings were quickly built during WW2, and concrete foundations were poured right over sections of industrial railroad sidings. Made for a mess for the contractor when some of the buildings were demolished a few years ago.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Watching the tape spool out was the creepiest thing I've seen in a while.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

No, the other way around. How did you think Harriet Tubman helped slaves escape? Did you think it was an allegory or something?

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Yep. Some cities will do that, with abandoned rail lines, rather than shell out to have the rails removed properly.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Warmachine posted:

Watching the tape spool out was the creepiest thing I've seen in a while.

:stonk:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Yeah, it happens with abandoned railroad and trolley lines. Where I work, a lot of buildings were quickly built during WW2, and concrete foundations were poured right over sections of industrial railroad sidings. Made for a mess for the contractor when some of the buildings were demolished a few years ago.

They did something like that in Downtown Dallas. Noticed it when they were doing a thorough repaving of Ervay Street - they dug asphalt down about a foot to the original brick, which also still had streetcar rails embedded in it. I was fascinated that it was still under there - and that the street used to be a foot lower.
There's also rail tunnels all under the area that were used for moving goods and the mail around once upon a time. Some of the older buildings still have access, though most are walled off.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

When they were putting in the Green Line light rail here in Saint Paul, they were digging up old streetcar tracks right under where the new rails were going in. :sigh:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Yooper posted:

There's an old motorcycle helmet inside my front stoop. Someone in 50 years will be very confused.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Deeeeeep state!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sloppy posted:

There's an old motorcycle helmet inside my front stoop. Someone in 50 years will be very confused.

I mean, what's the point of securing your motorcycle if you don't secure your helmet as well?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Sloppy posted:

You didn't put it there, right? You would be so foolish as to embed a motorcycle helmet in your house without putting a fake skull inside for maximum surprise decades later.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

:psyduck: There are no square or rectangular rooms in the entire house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My cats would loving love that house.