Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What would happen if Mookie had a big nose kink?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

whatever

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Now we get a weeks long pastiche of how mongreltown is a huge slum with no attention drawn to how the protagonists were just scamming these people for book money

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Nighthand posted:

Now we get a weeks long pastiche of how mongreltown is a huge slum with no attention drawn to how the protagonists were just scamming these people for book money

You would think that but the two figures in the last panel don't appear to have faces and are obviously scarecrow-like figures set up for some odd tableu

Also the return of thank-you-master-nyaa in panel three.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Kavak posted:

Also the return of thank-you-master-nyaa in panel three.

Hahaha had to go back and find that classic

Credit to J Jonah Jameson for this

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's a good thing he told us that the protagonist was feeling overwhelmed and needed to clear his head, right before showing us that he was clearly overwhelmed, and then that he was walking around to clear his head. I don't think I would be smart enough to figure that out from the visual cues in this comic that has no dialogue!

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

It's a testament to Mookie's pacing that this experimentation is more annoying than anything else

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

This is probably the best art this comic has had ever, tho.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

In a properly written setting, those two panels might have told me things about the town or world through environmental story telling. Those two panels tell me absolutely nothing but vapid scenery.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Mors Rattus posted:

It's a low bar to clear. Those trees are plainly done with the spray paint can in ms paint. The bench is clearly an artifact from elsewhere pasted in after being run through a filter. The woman lying against the tree is traced from "A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte." But it is leaps and bounds beyond the rest of the comic all put together.

The Little Death posted:

It's a testament to Mookie's pacing that this experimentation is more annoying than anything else
I can't stand this poo poo. At least the honeymoon arc was all lumped up so I knew when I was safe at its conclusion.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

In a properly written setting, those two panels might have told me things about the town or world through environmental story telling. Those two panels tell me absolutely nothing but vapid scenery.
It's actually worse than that. If they'd just been him wanking over scenery, it would've progressed the story zero. This is actually undoing progress we've made by providing contradictory information. From what we've seen, Mongreltown is a shanty town populated by mentally challenged animal people who can't read or build houses. But now we have this elaborate Moroccan setting with a covered bazaar style open air market? How are those spices sold? It'd be by weight or something, and they'd need signage to tell the cinnamon from the cardamom. That's not possible with a population who is basically illiterate. Who made that jewelry? He's walked 40 feet, how come all the townspeople, who were, to a man, wearing western style clothes up until now, are all in keffiyehs and caftans?

I know the answer is "Mookie doesn't plan his comic ahead of time and just thought it would look cool," but I am obligated to draw attention to this.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mors Rattus posted:

Honestly, the second panel's not bad. The first one is...I think I get what he's going for with those trees but it doesn't really work.

Also, Mild Edge is right, nothing more chaotic than a miniature green space with a park bench.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

The second panel is largely lifted from one of the "dinotopia" picture books.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I was already thrown off by how Ink Witch's clothes aren't drawn consistently. But Snouts inconsistently drawn toes are freaking me out too.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Those look they were traced from establishing shots of the Hidden Leaf Village in Naruto

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Those look they were traced from establishing shots of the Hidden Leaf Village in Naruto

There are no inexplicable power lines and telephone poles.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Safari Disco Lion posted:

It does a little bit by showing that Mongreltown is like a proper city. So far we'd been shown buildings in various states of disrepair and it felt more like a shantytown, nothing so nice or organised as to have a proper park with a fence and benches and cleaners and such. Not that mookie will do anything with this in the story, the impression I get is that he likes his mongreltown setting so he's using an excuse (snout needs to cool his head) to draw more of it. I fully expect that when he goes back his resolution wouldn't have required a calming walk through the city to clear his head at all.

Also, I'm no expert no what deaf people's experience is like, but I find it kind of funny how this kind of scenery communicates things that you'd only know if you weren't deaf, like the image of a bustling market street will usually get associated with noise, or a park with birds chirping. There's elements to this "cathartic" walk that I suspect don't map with deaf people as intended.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm the giant tabled turds.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Little Death posted:

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 11:25 on May 15, 2020

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Yeah, there we go. Well done.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

oh gently caress yes

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hahahahaha

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No luck with the street market. Everything there looks so blobby though that he's probably freehanded it, possibly explaining the gigantic loving hay-bale the woman is handling?

as for that park I had to do a fuckton of detective work.

GIS Park didnt do anything. I had to GIS 'small park'. A lot of hard work!

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 12:45 on May 15, 2020

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Synthbuttrange posted:

No luck with the street market. Everything there looks so blobby though that he's probably freehanded it, possibly explaining the gigantic loving hay-bale the woman is handling?

as for that park I had to do a fuckton of detective work.

GIS Park didnt do anything. I had to GIS 'small park'. A lot of hard work!

It's possible, but given the amount of detail, it wouldn't surprise me if he traced it as well. I'm very impressed you found the original for panel 1. That's deeply funny. I think it's supposed to be a curtain, but Mookie forgot to anchor it to anything.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

does it look like any particular location in world of warcraft

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

At a guess it’s an image of the Grand Bazaar of Istanbul but there’s tons of those to choose from.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Maybe the poster that said it's traced from Naruto is right after all.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Invisible Clergy posted:

It's possible, but given the amount of detail, it wouldn't surprise me if he traced it as well. I'm very impressed you found the original for panel 1. That's deeply funny. I think it's supposed to be a curtain, but Mookie forgot to anchor it to anything.

Its detailed but the detail is sloppy. Piles of bananas in baskets, boxes full of pubes, pillows, giant subs, two huge turds, books, rectangles, etc? it seems well within his capabilities to do that kind of scene.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 13:26 on May 15, 2020

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Invisible Clergy posted:

The woman lying against the tree is traced from "A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte."

I don't see it. Maybe you thought of another painting?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

"Middle eastern bazaar" results in a lot of pictures that look very similar. He might have combined several references.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Lmao he didn't even try, just a 1:1 trace. What happened to drawing landscapes being relaxing?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Synthbuttrange posted:

No luck with the street market.

Invisible Clergy posted:

The second panel is largely lifted from one of the "dinotopia" picture books.

I can’t ferret those out right now but googling ‘dinotopia bazaar’ yields a ton of images

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Hahahahaha holy poo poo

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Cat Mattress posted:

I don't see it. Maybe you thought of another painting?

I made this assertion before Synthbuttrange unearthed the source. I had only a dim recollection of the painting from every episode of a cartoon where they travel through paintings in an art museum.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

TheHan posted:

Lmao he didn't even try, just a 1:1 trace. What happened to drawing landscapes being relaxing?

who knows.

he's got this to offer though:

https://twitter.com/mookiebean/status/1260645904584859654?s=20

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

It's times like this I'm tempted to touch the poop. I'm not going to. But drat, is he asking for it.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
The Bard's Song

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

:hmbol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzLqwYvWCJE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Cringey and uncreative.

Cringey. Uncreative.

How do you get that good.