Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I just remembered I own this and I was so butthurt after beating father gasgoine that I didn't play it for 5 years, so now I decided to try it out again.

still right at the beginning and keep dying in old yarnham to the mobs there while I figure out the controls again.

there is a finesse to this that has been blunted by years of God of War, Spiderman, The Last of Us Remastered, and jerking off where if I try to mash roll or whatever I just roll back into the crowed and get bum raped. im bad at this, guys

any pro tips? I chose the threaded cane, because I want to swagger around all day with the top hat I saw in a loading screen

serious tip: learn to be deliberate with your button pushes....if u go into zen mode and pay attention to every animation itll click for u. nothing is cancelable and you never need to buffer inputs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
as far as pro tips go: the threaded canes whip-mode normal and heavy attacks are great for range and crowds. if youre fighting a single target try the whip-mode dodge attacks and the cane mode normal and heavy attacks.....and if your enemy is blobby use the cane-mode r2 stab

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I just remembered I own this and I was so butthurt after beating father gasgoine that I didn't play it for 5 years, so now I decided to try it out again.

still right at the beginning and keep dying in old yarnham to the mobs there while I figure out the controls again.

Old Yarnham is optional and kind of hard and unless you really want the loot there early (cool-but-niche weapon and gun, and I think some early access to some higher-tier upgrade mats) it's fine to put off until later. Explore Cathedral Ward more , there's another optional area branching off from it that's easier and has a really important reward at the end. And the cane whip is cool as hell, it's what I mostly used in my first playthrough

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

goferchan posted:

Old Yarnham is optional and kind of hard and unless you really want the loot there early (cool-but-niche weapon and gun, and I think some early access to some higher-tier upgrade mats) it's fine to put off until later. Explore Cathedral Ward more , there's another optional area branching off from it that's easier and has a really important reward at the end. And the cane whip is cool as hell, it's what I mostly used in my first playthrough

u cant get to the other optional area until u beat old yharnam, unless u get the thing that costs 10k in the dream store. but, nothing in the game is really optional. and old yharnam is probably the easiest area to tackle at the time u unlock it

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

u cant get to the other optional area until u beat old yharnam, unless u get the thing that costs 10k in the dream store. but, nothing in the game is really optional. and old yharnam is probably the easiest area to tackle at the time u unlock it

It's been like at least a year since I played so maybe I'm misremembering but I'm talking about Hemwick and you don't need the seal to get there, do you? There's some tough enemies there but if you're still learning the game I feel like not having the pressure of someone unloading a gatling gun on you makes it a little easier to feel out the area

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

you either do old yharnam or you grind to buy the emblem to get to the main plaza + hemwick.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

That's right👍 Thanks I forgot there wasn't another route in. Fair enough, suck it up and run through Old Yharnam then

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Leadthumb posted:

Playing this game again after bouncing off of it the first time. Getting shotgunned in the face by father gascoigne while trying to enter the fog door is probably the most insulting thing in any fromsoftware game.

the most insulting thing in any from software game is they crapped out dark souls 2 and 3 and they're doing it agian fro elden ring. goddamn you to hell miyazaki

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

there is a finesse to this that has been blunted by years of God of War, Spiderman, The Last of Us Remastered, and jerking off where if I try to mash roll or whatever I just roll back into the crowed and get bum raped. im bad at this, guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QezSPk7SPBM

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

There was a mistake...I am in central yarnham in the very beginning of the game getting killed by farmers

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just focus on the basics, put one foot in front of the other, the rest falls into place naturally

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mysterious loyall X posted:

the most insulting thing in any from software game is they crapped out dark souls 2 and 3 and they're doing it agian fro elden ring. goddamn you to hell miyazaki

it's gonna be good. In Miyazaki we trust.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

My weapon ran out of durability because I kept dying in the first area over and over and I cannot continue the game. Good god what have I become.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It’s really cheap to repair weapons with blood echoes in the hunters dream

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

My weapon ran out of durability because I kept dying in the first area over and over and I cannot continue the game. Good god what have I become.

lol owned

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Knuc U Kinte posted:

:staredog:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Despite this huge fail + massive stain on my Gamer honour, I’m going to carry on

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I believe in you.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i guess my pro tip is that the health regen from rally is really strong especially in groups. so knowing when you can steal swipes and save a heal will be very powerful over time

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
also, if u end up running out of blood vials, the best way to restock is to clear a zone that u find easy and then spend all the blechoes u get from it on blood vials at the dream store. i also recommend spending the entire pot of boss blechoes on blood vials for the first few bosses

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
not sure why they even bothered carrying over durability from souls

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

dragon enthusiast posted:

not sure why they even bothered carrying over durability from souls

they needed a downside for the strongest blood gems that wasnt slowly draining health (which sucks) or less damage on certain enemies (which defeats the point.) compared to those, cutting durability in half is very tolerable. but it doesnt really serve a purpose anywhere else

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lol

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really liked the implementation of durability in ds2 and nowhere else. actual incentive to experiment with different weapons by forcing you to swap between a few of them until the next bonfire

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I could go online to see notes and someone pointed out a shortcut so I can skip the bonfire mobs. I spent all my blood echoes on clothes and repairing and then found Cleric Beast who killed my rear end.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Wasting all your money on fashion instead of leveling up is extremely top tier gameplay, you've literally already figured out Bloodborne.

Anyway you're gonna bash your head on Cleric for a while but then you'll murder it and feel great! You can do it!
Farm up some healing (you can hold 20 at once) and maybe a couple levels of Vitality and whatever skill makes your weapon hit harder (STR or SKL depending)

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008
Been getting the itch to play again and try out an arcane build.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Killed the cleric beast. I thought I was cool because I learned to parry before fighting him again but you can’t parry him (I couldn’t) and I got smashed. Once I went back without locking on I could smash his poo poo in. Only problem is stamina when you are rolling up in his small rear end zone.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Killed the cleric beast. I thought I was cool because I learned to parry before fighting him again but you can’t parry him (I couldn’t) and I got smashed. Once I went back without locking on I could smash his poo poo in. Only problem is stamina when you are rolling up in his small rear end zone.

You're doing it Woooooooo there is no game I like to see people experiencing for the first time more than this one

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You can parry Cleric Beast but it's a massive pain in the rear end since it's usually pretty far away so the timing is different due to bullet travel time. Your method is way better.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I parried cleric with a firebomb my first time playing the game and was insanely confused about what was happening. Or crippled it’s head with it

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
yeah thats not parrying.....big beast bosses can have each of their limbs & head broken by repeated attacks, especially with blunt weapons, that allows u to do a visceral attack

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Cleric beast is pretty easy if you keep your distance so he does his jump attack, then you roll into it, end up behind him, and hit him from behind until he turns around, then back off and do it all over again. He was my first Soulsborne boss and I killed him first try doing that and felt like a god. Then the rest of the game broke my back and made me humble.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Cleric beast is pretty easy if you keep your distance so he does his jump attack, then you roll into it, end up behind him, and hit him from behind until he turns around, then back off and do it all over again. He was my first Soulsborne boss and I killed him first try doing that and felt like a god. Then the rest of the game broke my back and made me humble.

There were a few bosses like that for me in dark souls. I don’t think this game is as “easy” for me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

there's a mod for this game now that lets you mess with resolution settings and you can get it to run at 720p 50-60fps on a pro.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

there's a mod for this game now that lets you mess with resolution settings and you can get it to run at 720p 50-60fps on a pro.

:holy::holy::holy:

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I just went through this game again using a bunch of weapons I don't usually touch (Reiterpallasch, Church Pick) and god drat it's still really drat good holy moly I can't think of a better game

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Strongly recommend the Boom Hammer if you've never done that run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you haven't really finished bloodborne until you've done at least one run with each weapon