Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

BadSamaritan posted:

Our one year old has started groaning theatrically when picking things off the floor and I’m pretty sure that was 100% learned from us being tired and sore lmao

Our daughter does that. It's great because she does it for really lightweight stuff. I only groan when I pick her gigantic rear end up. She was in the 90s percentile for height and weight. She's been int 2T stuff for at least 3 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Yup got a 90+ percentile boy and it's getting increasingly harder on my back to lift him and I'm starting to have to approach it properly like he's a heavy box or something. Sucks cos hes still little enough developmentally to need the constant pick ups and cuddles while being held and I dont want to taper those off too early when hes not ready for it just because he's a solid unit.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My brain is melting from being a 4-year-olds only social interaction for 9 hours a day

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Just put on Bluey and go have some wine.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Speaking of shows-what else besides cocomelon for an 18 month old? He doesn’t really like Sesame Street yet

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Our daughter loves Dave and Ava. She doesn't like Cocomelon but be warned all the videos are basically the same.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Daniel Tiger, Between the Lions, Gigantosaurus?

My kid is obsessed with Sesame Street so we haven't had to branch out much, but we keep some extra stuff queued for the eventual day that he decides that Elmo is persona non grata.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

nwin posted:

Speaking of shows-what else besides cocomelon for an 18 month old? He doesn’t really like Sesame Street yet

There are two long Wiggles series on Hulu. Try it.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

nwin posted:

At 18 months we actually just put in The Great British Baking Show and it seemed to entertain him enough, hah. Nature shows worked too.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

nwin posted:

Maybe a little young for it, but we did Pocoyo about that age on Netflix.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

nwin posted:

Super simple songs, they have tons of different stuff. and like others said, the wiggles.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

nwin posted:

(emerges from the bushes, hair a tangle of pine sap) MOOMINTROLL, both the anime made by TV Tokyo in the 70s and also the earlier, Finnish language puppet versions, also the bootlegged Soviet Winnie the Pooh show

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Just got word our daycares won't open until at least July 1st (when they'll reevaluate).

I'm glad in a way because they are completely not being phased by the complete dumbassery "reopen it!" poo poo here (Mississippi).

On the other hand I'm going literally insane. My work is back in the office except for me... the only person still working from home. So I hope they still keep me around after another month.

On the plus side, our 11 month old loving loves Moana. Like... absolutely mesmerized. He really doesn't care too much about TV (his sister is watching it all the time so he sees it but would rather play) and he likes Sesame Street. But when Moana comes on its like some damned form of hypnosis. Its nice because it will instantly calm him down out of any calamity.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

My 2 year old cried blood out of one eye instead of tears after biting his finger during dinner tonight. After a phone call to the on-call nurse turned into a call with the on-call doctor, we went to the ER and was told everything was fine. The worst part about this is the possibility of his sleep rhythms getting hosed up since we were out 2.5 hours past his bed time.

Also, hopefully we didn't get covid while we were there.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
They re-opened the schools yesterday and for some reason I cannot understand, this meant almost all the kids came back to pre-school as well. The last month or so there have been very few children at preschool despite it being open, we're basically the only ones who kept sending our kids there almost every day.

I can't think that so many people got laid off that they didn't have jobs anymore? Did they just willingly keep one parent home with the kids? I just can't understand it, they had to home school their kids during that time and I have some idea of what it entailed. We all got the same tasks and materials that were sent to parents, except we had our kids at preschool so we didn't have to do it. But those that chose to remain home with their kids... I mean holy poo poo what an insane burden of work they sent home IMO, I would just flip the gently caress out if I had to all that plus work all day.

Are other peoples kids just that more manageable. Are we just lazier than most people? We would have kept sending our kids to pre school until they forced us to stop. None of us would have had time to do all that home education stuff. I'm literally not at home and she studies at home.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Slimy Hog posted:

Also, hopefully we didn't get covid while we were there.

My kid sliced his thumb last year and we only went to the ER after getting reassurance from my insurance company that it would only cost us $200. Cut to months later, we are still getting bills from random companies demanding more money from our visit. Some even threaten to send us to collections. Our insurance company keeps saying they will take care of it, don't worry about it, etc.

So, hopefully you don't get stuck with stupid extra bills AND you didn't get covid while you were there. I'm glad everything is ok, though!

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

nwin posted:

Daniel Tiger, Sarah and Duck (youtube has some hour long compliations), Puffin Rock (netflix), Color Crew (hulu), Pancake Manor (youtube), Storybots (netflix)

My 20 month old also likes Mickey Mouse Clubhouse but I don't so I try to steer others away from that prison.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My 21 month old also likes Super Simple Songs on youtube. Its super cute when he tries to do the moves along with the songs. It's also made him enjoy having just music on instead of the tv.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Any tips or reassurances for getting a kid through this toddler bed transition?

Since a few days ago he's been waking up at least once a night, often also in the morning, at like 4:45 or 5 am, too early but also late enough it's a really bad gamble that he will go back to sleep. This is brutal and I'm ready for it to level out. We've tried leaving the room and telling him to stay in bed, he either doesn't understand or isn't paying attention at all (though he acknowledges we said something to him) because before we can close the door behind us he's already slipping out of bed. So we have to stay in there sometimes for over an hour with him, and frequently he has rolled around wide awake for at least that long. We both need some goddamn adult time and with the time it takes him to settle, we might get 2 hours to ourselves before it's bedtime. Mornings were part of my alone time, and now I don't even loving get that anymore.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
No method works for every kid at every age- we did the night of a thousand walks nearly a year ago that never stuck but we tried it again recently and is working fairly well.

Just make sure that you are being as consistant as possible with whatever way you do bedtime.

Also melatonin.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Just Offscreen posted:

No method works for every kid at every age- we did the night of a thousand walks nearly a year ago that never stuck but we tried it again recently and is working fairly well.

Just make sure that you are being as consistant as possible with whatever way you do bedtime.

Also melatonin.

We are consistently loving staying in there with him while he takes the scenic long route toward sleep and it's driving us mad. Afraid he will expect this every night before he can actually fall asleep.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Just Offscreen posted:

Also melatonin.

This has made a huuuge difference for our 5yo. She used to stay up in her room playing or whatever far past her bedtime and then subsequently be tired and cranky (more than usual) the next day.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

They re-opened the schools yesterday and for some reason I cannot understand, this meant almost all the kids came back to pre-school as well. The last month or so there have been very few children at preschool despite it being open, we're basically the only ones who kept sending our kids there almost every day.

I can't think that so many people got laid off that they didn't have jobs anymore? Did they just willingly keep one parent home with the kids? I just can't understand it, they had to home school their kids during that time and I have some idea of what it entailed. We all got the same tasks and materials that were sent to parents, except we had our kids at preschool so we didn't have to do it. But those that chose to remain home with their kids... I mean holy poo poo what an insane burden of work they sent home IMO, I would just flip the gently caress out if I had to all that plus work all day.

Are other peoples kids just that more manageable. Are we just lazier than most people? We would have kept sending our kids to pre school until they forced us to stop. None of us would have had time to do all that home education stuff. I'm literally not at home and she studies at home.

My wife and I both wfh and have an almost 4 year old in a public preschool that's closed, they sent home weekly lesson plans for her and other stuff, and we sort of tried to do it for the first week or two before we basically gave up entirely. She's pretty much just running wild at home now and watching TV most of the time. Fortunately she basically runs in circles around the couch the whole time she watches TV so she isn't just sitting there, but it's obviously not the greatest child raising situation ever. I think we're going to have to give up on isolating ourselves from my parents so that they can come help, we otherwise don't ever leave the house so at least if my parents get sick it won't be from us.

The Texas re-opening is dumb as hell, almost everything is open again on Monday, but they aren't re-opening schools so I'm not sure how anyone is supposed to go to work. Fortunately our jobs aren't asking anyone to come in anytime soon regardless of what the state says. Going to go insane from having to "work" in the living room with my toddler all day though, and then having to do my actual work on the weekends so I effectively never get any time off.

No idea how people in our situation with more than one kid or slightly older kids are managing it at all, the lesson plans for a 3 year old were pretty silly, but I'd imagine a 5+ year old would have stuff they really need to learn.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Yes pretty much everyone with kids is being hardcore punished for having them with the whole daycare closed but being expected to work etc etc
loving ridiculous

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
Lol my job basically told us that we have to get our hours in, and if we can’t, we’re welcome to use leave. Which I don’t really have since I had to use it all on my maternity leave. Totally rules.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

life is killing me posted:

We are consistently loving staying in there with him while he takes the scenic long route toward sleep and it's driving us mad. Afraid he will expect this every night before he can actually fall asleep.

How old? For this last round of bedtime training it was super helpful for us to do printed off pictures for the bedtime routine.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

They just announced that daycares can reopen here, with limitations, on May 31. Only 6-10 kids per room depending on age, masks for older kids, regular deep cleaning, etc.

Trying not to get my hopes up about it. I'm sure that our daycare will prioritize spots for essential workers, so no guarantee our kid gets in at first. Also kind of nervous about breaking quarantine given the news about the increased chance of Kawasaki disease for small kids who get Covid-19. As much as we desperately need a break from being locked in the house with an 18 month old I'm not sure it's worth taking the risk.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

My folks run a gymnastics school and they are preparing to reopen in the coming weeks.

It's going to really suck to tell them we won't be letting our son visit for the forseeable.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

nwin posted:

Little Baby Bum. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eACoL24nOA

My 18 month old cannot get enough LBB. The songs have a calming effect on her. Every time she gets vaccinations I play it immediately after and she stops crying. Especially Five Little Ducks, which is the first song on Netflix. When she hears that guy say "Oh look, there's five little ducks" she has the biggest smile.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

As someone who went to college for 3d animation, I have a hard time watching Little Baby Bum. Its not the worst quality on youtube, but its just not great. Super Simple Songs is at least well created. I've been tempted to use some of their animations as good basic examples of animation principles in a few of my classes!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Just Offscreen posted:

How old? For this last round of bedtime training it was super helpful for us to do printed off pictures for the bedtime routine.

He’s just turned 2, and we had just gotten back to sleep normalcy until his excessive crib escapes forced us to convert to a toddler bed with an under-sheet bumper. I think the change was just too much for him, he will adapt I’m sure. But if he’s not rolling around forever or sitting up WITH US IN THERE NOT INTERACTING WITH HIM, he’s immediately slipping out of bed once we leave the room because he’s taking forever to fall asleep.

I figure if we ignore his crying and door handle jiggling, he would eventually go to sleep but I have doubts that he will know or remember to crawl into bed, so probably will find him on the floor right behind his door, which opens inward.

Basically he’s extremely stubborn and will cry and cry until we go in there. I suppose we could still rock him because he’d still let us I think (we haven’t been rocking him since toddler bed conversion), but the problem before toddler bed was that he’d stay awake until the break of dawn by way of foot movement and squirming to make sure we didn’t leave him in there, and we had to put him into bed awake anyway because by that point our presence wasn’t ultimately helpful for him to fall asleep. Maybe we are back to rocking again?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Something that's stuck with me since I saw it in Nanny 911 is to make yourself visibly present to the child, even if you're not directly acknowledging them, and then slowly phase yourself out further and further once the tantrums stop.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Made the best online quarantine purchase yet: 100 plastic ball pit balls from Target are the perfect volume to almost fill a laundry basket with just enough room for a toddler to thrash around.

The less good decision was to open the box with a fun new activity as soon as it arrived at the doorstep an hour before bedtime, rather than waiting until the next morning.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Something that's stuck with me since I saw it in Nanny 911 is to make yourself visibly present to the child, even if you're not directly acknowledging them, and then slowly phase yourself out further and further once the tantrums stop.

That's kind of the thing--we're staying in there with him until he falls asleep, not even looking at him or talking to him. He isn't tantruming, he is just rolling around and being an antsy little guy, taking his sweet time. But yeah, I've read or heard about that too, and we will try to do some version of slowly phasing ourselves out of the room but for now if we try to walk out even after telling him we're leaving and getting his "ok" grunt, he just gets out of bed immediately and heads to the door.

I thought of even standing by the open door but can't see him (and thus he can't see us) due to the placement of his crib an a short walkway into the room where the corner opening the room up leaves his crib obscured.

Plus it's like some crazy-rear end winds and rain tonight so we're about to find out what he can sleep through because this storm is a bastard.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

wizzardstaff posted:

Made the best online quarantine purchase yet: 100 plastic ball pit balls from Target are the perfect volume to almost fill a laundry basket with just enough room for a toddler to thrash around.

The less good decision was to open the box with a fun new activity as soon as it arrived at the doorstep an hour before bedtime, rather than waiting until the next morning.

We did this too! Well we ordered one from Amazon with 50 balls and when they came in it was like "that's not even close to enough." So we ordered 300 more. eek.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Mat Cauthon posted:

They just announced that daycares can reopen here, with limitations, on May 31. Only 6-10 kids per room depending on age, masks for older kids, regular deep cleaning, etc.

:lol: at the "regular deep cleaning" I see everywhere.

Yeah, right, in a room where you have 6-10 kids plus an adult or two, in an indoors environment, doing any kind of activities together for several hours at a stretch, including EATING MEALS TOGETHER, they're worried about touch contagion from surfaces, of all things?

Here's some scientifically grounded information on what situations are dangerous and which are not.

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them

It amazes me that the USA has shut down daycares but keep meat packing plants open.

Concerning masks, what actually works is to keep kids home if anyone in their family has symptoms. "Older kids" in a daycare facility will not be able to use a face mask effectively.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Mat Cauthon posted:

Trying not to get my hopes up about it. I'm sure that our daycare will prioritize spots for essential workers, so no guarantee our kid gets in at first. Also kind of nervous about breaking quarantine given the news about the increased chance of Kawasaki disease for small kids who get Covid-19. As much as we desperately need a break from being locked in the house with an 18 month old I'm not sure it's worth taking the risk.

I assume you are also in Ohio? My child has been back at daycare since April 6 since husband and I are essential. The daycare she is at is doing a fantastic job of keeping everything clean and safe. As far as prioritizing, her daycare sent an email out asking parents who know they will be needing care to contact them ASAP and they will start working on getting everyone a spot. Since they already had a pandemic license and had some locations open they are confident in opening the rest up and following the guidelines.

We live pretty close to a hospital and I imagine a lot of the kids inside our daycare have parents who work there. It’s been over 30 days and haven’t had any issues with exposure.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

It amazes me that the USA has shut down daycares but keep meat packing plants open.

I believe it’s more of a, “Oh poo poo there’s going to be a meat shortage” situation. Someone says meat shortage, media reports, people start panicking and buying a bunch of meat to stock up at home, an actual meat shortage is now created because of it, and then the meat packing plants decide/are allowed to stay open to compensate.

Kids are huge disease carriers and would not practice any type of hygiene without parents to direct them to do so, I mean at least we can imagine that meat packing plants would have many measures in place for worker safety and food safety.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
What a loving nightmare.

First weekend alone (as in no grandparents) with the newborn and the 2.5 year old and I'm about to completely lose my poo poo. All week she's been trouble at potty time, but now she's blatantly refusing to cooperate. She delays going until I drag her over there, then she refuses to take any active role in going. So I end up having to take her pants and pull up off myself and plop her on the toilet. After 5-20 minutes of arguing MAYBE she does something, but it's purely coincidental. And of course then she refuses to put anything back on, so I end up having to do that myself too.

I'm at a loss. Bribes/incentives don't work where they used to.

The hell do I do to make this kid listen? I know I'm not doing it right, and I'm pretty sure everything I do is making it worse. But I have no idea what to do here.

gently caress toddlers and gently caress kids. One was bad enough and we made the dumbass decision to have a second. Any other time I could cope, but having the newborn along with the lack of sleep is loving with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
Honestly, my daughter was 4 when her brother was born and she STILL had potty training regression. At 2.5 if she wasn't already potty trained, I'd just put a pin in it. Yeah, it sucks having to do even more diapers but is it really worth what tiny bit of sanity you might have left at this point to try and stay on top of convincing her to use the toilet?