Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SlowBloke posted:

Brother or hp are my common picks. If you say color or b/w I might even suggest a model....

Oh, yeah, B/W, I ain't splurging on color

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh, yeah, B/W, I ain't splurging on color

Hp m145 or m148 depending on the budget. The letters after the numbers indicate if if there is a duplex module(d), a integrated WiFi(w) or wired card(n)

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is there a current recommendation / consensus for a reliable all-in-one printer/scanner/copier? Or a "best available" given the current ~*all this*~ ?

as one of the resident Xerox engineers, never Xerox unless you have a warranty/service plan (though they are cheap)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Any thoughts on the Brother MFC-L3770CDW?

It's a color laser AIO. Pretty good reviews.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Discussion Quorum posted:

I bought a Brother 5370DW (which I think is a predecessor or more basic version of the 5470) in 2008 and it is unironically one of the best computer purchases I have ever made, at least on a value per dollar basis rather than a fun-having basis. Doubly so after I married someone who (at the time) was WFH as an editor for an academic publisher. It's not without its annoyances but honestly it's been over a decade since I last was in a "man, gently caress PRINTERS" sort of mood.

The main annoyance was that the wifi was WEP-only, which probably isn't an issue on a newer printer. When we moved to our current place I had to put it out of reach of a reasonable ethernet cable run, so I used an old Linksys WRT54 running DD-WRT as a bridge for a little while, then put it behind a Pi running CUPS over wifi. I set the Pi up about a year ago and haven't had to touch it since except to load paper.

Thanks, is there a way to browse older models? I want a compact BW laser printer with WiFi, but at first glance it looks like the DRM racket has taken over the laser printer market.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I want a printer so I can print the very occasional form, sign it, and email it back. Or so that I can print RMA package slips sometimes. I really don't need a built in scanner but I suppose it would be nice to have.

We had an epson inkjet that lasted about 3 years until the 'board got fried' according to some google search I did, "this model always gets a fried board' or some poo poo. The other printer we had was an hp inkjet before that, which lasted a good 6+ years.

I'm not willing to spend 200 bux unless it's a printer that will last 20+ years. Can anyone recommend anything? Failing that is there a good site to buy printers from? I glanced at newegg and saw about 1000000 printers there, but lots of them had no or very few reviews.

edit: I suppose colour doesn't matter, b+w is fine.

redreader fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 15, 2020

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

FedEx Kinkos and scanning on a phone are alternative options. Phone scans are surprisingly good these days: use an app to correct the 3D skew and colour filter as appropriate, eg the Notes app in iOS has an option for this.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

redreader posted:

I want a printer so I can print the very occasional form, sign it, and email it back. Or so that I can print RMA package slips sometimes. I really don't need a built in scanner but I suppose it would be nice to have.

There are services like dochub.com which let you upload and "sign" a PDF and save the results. I use this all the time when people email me poo poo to sign. No printer or scanner required.

Doesn't help for your RMA use case but surely you're not doing that too often.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You can also sign PDFs right on your computer though...

I'd get a cheap B&W laser, I haven't bought one in years but Brother seems to be a popular choice. I bought the cheapest Konica Minolta model (1300W) when I started college... over, ugh, 10 years ago and it only needed the pickup roller cleaned up.

Phone scans are definitely acceptable occasionally but the consistent lighting and flattening you get on a real scanner do make a big difference.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Welp I bought an epson ecotank (ET-2750) last month and after printing maybe 80 pages it now displays an error code and refuses to print.

Shows code E-01 and then below that the first time it included a number 000041 and after turning it off and back on it shows E-01 again with 034004.

We've already tossed out the box/packaging. I'm looking forward to the joys of the warranty process. god drat it.

other people fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 20, 2020

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Sounds like normal printer operation to me!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

other people posted:

Welp I bought an epson ecotank (ET-2750) last month and after printing maybe 80 pages it now displays an error code and refuses to print.

Shows code E-01 and then below that the first time it included a number 000041 and after turning it off and back on it shows E-01 again with 034004.

We've already tossed out the box/packaging. I'm looking forward to the joys of the warranty process. god drat it.

Should have bought a laser.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Counterpoint: We just bought a Brother HL-L3210CW color laser, and after 90 pages its reporting 90% on the yellow toner, and 100% on the others. Easy (though tedious) to configure wifi on the two line LCD, and cloud print was easy to setup through Chrome with one button press on the printer to confirm.

I debated a duplex-capable or multifunction machine, but for $185 it makes the wife happy to have color capability, and I'll probably upgrade our B&W laser eventually (old 2170W) to a multifunction B&W for slightly lower TCO.

I looked at the Ecotank printers at the same time, but they were more expensive for the printer, though much less expensive on the consumables.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

900 pages estimated out of the starter toners isn't too awful. I don't think I'd ever put genuine toner into those compact desktop colour lasers though, it seems like a very easy way to make yourself poor - some of them can end up costing 15p a page if you're doing colour.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I suppose it depends on the color mix and such, but yeah. The Brother toners aren't even super expensive for the high cap ones. But replacing all 3 colors is easily 50% more than the cost of the printer itself.

That's assuming the toner is actually "empty" when it says it is. Pretty sure the little B&W laser is at 5k pages on it's starter toner still, after blocking the window and resetting the counter in the printer.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

My Brother b/w mfc laser had a broken touch screen, as in the layer that did the touch part of the touch screen literally flaked off inside the screen.
This was 2 months after the warranty period. I took it to the local official Brother repair center nearby, expecting a bill of at least €80. But because I'd put in an official cartridge they waived the fee. Like, they literally opened the door to check if it was a genuine cart before even taking a good look at the screen.

So I guess that's a thing to consider. In my case the price for a real high capacity cart was €63 vs 49 for a knockoff. Pretty good deal in this instance.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd buy (and have bought) genuine toner for mono devices, but the desktop colour units seem to have reached new heights in terms of consumable pricing vs. quantity.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Geemer posted:

My Brother b/w mfc laser had a broken touch screen, as in the layer that did the touch part of the touch screen literally flaked off inside the screen.
This was 2 months after the warranty period. I took it to the local official Brother repair center nearby, expecting a bill of at least €80. But because I'd put in an official cartridge they waived the fee. Like, they literally opened the door to check if it was a genuine cart before even taking a good look at the screen.

So I guess that's a thing to consider. In my case the price for a real high capacity cart was €63 vs 49 for a knockoff. Pretty good deal in this instance.
Conclusion: keep an empty OEM cartridge around somewhere, just in case.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I’m looking for a wireless printer with color for my home office. My gf needs the color for printing patterns since she’s a costume designer, and I just need something reliable that’s relatively compact since we live in an apartment. We can spend around $200. Any recommendations?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Whatever you do, do not buy an ink jet.
You won't get a great color laser at that price, but they will still be more reliable than any ink-based printer.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Colour lasers are kind of ugly output, similarly phasers which have the drawback of wonderful power usage and burning ink on power on.

$200 not going to last too long on ink, you might as well find a Kinkos.

Depends on the work flow, just for the outfit you could print in b&w but say use a zero-ink photo printer for a smaller but high quality output for reference on colour.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
We've been happy with our Brother color laser from a few posts back. Mostly printing color activity sheets for our toddler, and some of my wife's work stuff that needs to be color. It's a bit on the bigger side, probably 18-20" square. It's not photo quality, but it's good enough. We send off all our photo printing anyway.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If the color is mainly for printing patterns for costume making (i.e. line art) then the color accuracy and resolution probably isn't a major issue. As long as you can tell magenta from cyan it should be fine?

ILoveYou
Apr 21, 2010

Android has its merits and demerits and so does Apple you loving halfwits. You're trying to console your own little brain that coz you spent literally twice the money normal people spend on a phone it's somehow better. Specs, snap 845 which is on all current flagships can run loving fortnite at the highest graphics. Screen resolution, lol Samsung itself makes Apple screens Camera, Samsung does better in low light and Google has same image quality. Hell HUAWEI offers more AI features . face unlock?ooooh! Yeah we got that too. Also! Guess what! WE DON'T NEED TO RECHARGE OUR BATTERIES THRICE A loving DAY! END TO END CONTROL IS A loving SCAM, ALL ACCESSORIES ARE OVERPRICED BEYOND IMAGINATION. IT REACHED A loving TRILLION BECAUSE EVEN THOUGH ITS PRODUCTS AREN'T EXTREMELY COMMENDABLE YOU. loving. MORONS. KEEP. BUYING. THAT. poo poo. AND I AM NOT TAKING THESE loving LAME EXCUSES JUST TO MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER ABOUT WHAT YOU HAVE BOUGHT YOU IGNORANT NARCISSISTIC ARROGANT STUPID rear end in a top hat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

My much loved Brother DCP-8080DN is acting really strange lately, I think the network interface is dead/dying.

Even though I can access the self-hosted web-site, nothing prints anymore and you can't scan to network because "interface cable is disconnected" - it's not I can see the link light, I can ping you, I can use the admin interface on the browser...

Googling the model number and "network card" or "NIC replacement" is getting me nowhere?

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

roadhead posted:

My much loved Brother DCP-8080DN is acting really strange lately, I think the network interface is dead/dying.

Even though I can access the self-hosted web-site, nothing prints anymore and you can't scan to network because "interface cable is disconnected" - it's not I can see the link light, I can ping you, I can use the admin interface on the browser...

Googling the model number and "network card" or "NIC replacement" is getting me nowhere?

Welp a Raspberry Pi 4 and some elbow grease got it back on the network, seems like a waste of the Pi but it wasn't getting much use as an emulation machine anyway.

CUPS is actually pretty easy to setup too!

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

MrMoo posted:

FedEx Kinkos and scanning on a phone are alternative options. Phone scans are surprisingly good these days: use an app to correct the 3D skew and colour filter as appropriate, eg the Notes app in iOS has an option for this.
I recently learned Google drive scan function is great on Android. Way better than anything in gcam, does all that stuff in one app.

Also I haven't seen the term LED printer in here, this nerd I like on YouTube taught me all about them:
https://youtu.be/_saDCwsB9Ww

Channel name is technology connections in case the link is mobile only.

I never understood "can't post link, on mobile"

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 13, 2020

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Decided on the Brother HL-L2375DW. Ordered it from printerbase.co.uk (it said In Stock). They called me, told me it wasn't in stock, and said I could have a Brother HL-L5100DN instead at £40 more. Fine.

The HL-L5100DN is working out great. Plugged it into a networking switch via an ethernet patch cable, plug and play, zero pissing about required on Windows, Linux, MacOS and iOS, was detected on all of them instantly and Just Worked, including duplexing.

Very happy (other than having spent £40 more).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So that Samsung printer that I "fixed" a while ago. Seems like it's not really fully fixed.

Every couple of pages I'm still getting this horizontal yellow (and sometimes black) strip. If printing more than a few pages at at time, there are also some ghosting of the previous page. It's a bit difficult to see on the scan but it's definitely there in the bottom part of the page.

This might be just down to how the paper was fed in but the page is also slightly misaligned. The url at the top goes right up to the top of the page instead of having the normal margin.

Is the drum hosed? Cleaning it according to the instructions didn't do anything. Hopefully I didn't break it when fixing the toner issue lol.

roadhead posted:

Welp a Raspberry Pi 4 and some elbow grease got it back on the network, seems like a waste of the Pi but it wasn't getting much use as an emulation machine anyway.

CUPS is actually pretty easy to setup too!
I used a Pi Zero W which feels about right for the job. No issues with performance.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I recently learned Google drive scan function is great on Android. Way better than anything in gcam, does all that stuff in one app.

Also I haven't seen the term LED printer in here, this nerd I like on YouTube taught me all about them:
https://youtu.be/_saDCwsB9Ww

Channel name is technology connections in case the link is mobile only.

I never understood "can't post link, on mobile"
Maybe they're using an iphone and can't copy/paste

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jul 22, 2020

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
^ How did you get into the dog pee industry

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
welp, I was going to rant about brother's terrible customer service since my new printer can't print photos correctly, but that dog pee document has me enthralled.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

klosterdev posted:

1) Get a degree in zoology.
2) Get bored at work one day.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

So that Samsung printer that I "fixed" a while ago. Seems like it's not really fully fixed.

Every couple of pages I'm still getting this horizontal yellow (and sometimes black) strip. If printing more than a few pages at at time, there are also some ghosting of the previous page. It's a bit difficult to see on the scan but it's definitely there in the bottom part of the page.

This might be just down to how the paper was fed in but the page is also slightly misaligned. The url at the top goes right up to the top of the page instead of having the normal margin.

Is the drum hosed? Cleaning it according to the instructions didn't do anything. Hopefully I didn't break it when fixing the toner issue lol.

I used a Pi Zero W which feels about right for the job. No issues with performance.

Maybe they're using an iphone and can't copy/paste

Two things: Does it have a fuser and is it hosed, and are you setting the right paper type for the actual paper you're printing on? I had a job where a user was printing on a letterhead, and the pre-printed letterhead was melting onto the fuser and ghosting onto the rest of the page, so I had to set to a different paper type to turn the fuser's temperature down to not melt the letterhead. If the fuser's fine, and the drum's fine, it could be lovely toner

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

As a professional printer toucher, I need to know which way your paper is feeding to properly diagnose your issue. Landscape or portrait?
Also the cost is 275/hr with a 20 dollar materials fee

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

klosterdev posted:

You don't "get" into the dog pee industry, you have to be born into it.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Two things: Does it have a fuser and is it hosed, and are you setting the right paper type for the actual paper you're printing on? I had a job where a user was printing on a letterhead, and the pre-printed letterhead was melting onto the fuser and ghosting onto the rest of the page, so I had to set to a different paper type to turn the fuser's temperature down to not melt the letterhead. If the fuser's fine, and the drum's fine, it could be lovely toner
Eh yeah I it has a fuser, I'm not sure how it would work otherwise. How can I tell if it's hosed, of if it's the drum? It could be lovely toner (I got aftermarket poo poo and had to clean the cartridges myself) but that's what I'm hoping to narrow down.

I'm printing or regular plain, 80g/m A4. That's also the default setting, although if I change anything, the w10 print dialog resets it because of "setting conflicts". To eliminate this I just printed a test image from a USB disk with the same results, more or less.

Peachfart posted:

As a professional printer toucher, I need to know which way your paper is feeding to properly diagnose your issue. Landscape or portrait?
Also the cost is 275/hr with a 20 dollar materials fee
It's feeding the paper in portrait, short edge across the printer width. It wouldn't fit the other way. So the yellow line is like 5mm of contact with the drum.

Please send 0.01BTC to my wallet to confirm your identity and I'll send you back 275+20 bucks.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Eh yeah I it has a fuser, I'm not sure how it would work otherwise. How can I tell if it's hosed, of if it's the drum? It could be lovely toner (I got aftermarket poo poo and had to clean the cartridges myself) but that's what I'm hoping to narrow down.

I'm printing or regular plain, 80g/m A4. That's also the default setting, although if I change anything, the w10 print dialog resets it because of "setting conflicts". To eliminate this I just printed a test image from a USB disk with the same results, more or less.

if you can pop the fuser out, just check that the heat rolls inside aren't damaged. If they're okay with no obvious nicks or tears, I'd probably lean towards the drum. The ghosting is probably some residual off-brand toner that's still in the drum, which should go away after a number of prints with proper toner

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

If it is literally feeding the short edge, then it is a very weird issue. But if it is feeding the long edge, I'd bet the drum charge roller is dirty and is causing the yellow line, and the black stuff is likely fuser related, with a possibility of the black drum having an issue. You can be certain if it is the drum or fuser by printing a few solid magenta or cyan prints. If the black ghosting stays the same color it is drum, if it changes to the printed color it is fuser.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Question:
How best to print to 2 local network Toshiba e-Studio copiers from a web app? I'd like to avoid exposing them directly to the internet.

Context:
I have a web app running locally that has a "print" button. I install the same printer 4 times on Win 10 with different printing preferences. When I click print, the web app looks for those copiers by name and prints various files with a shell script. I need to migrate this locally running thing to Heroku or similar to allow remote employees to print with these various settings. There will always be someone physically colocated with the printers who will use whats printed to assemble reports/documents. We are all on Office 365 with all the data related to this in a shared Sharepoint/OneDrive.

Possible solutions:
-Save the files to Sharepoint or S3. Have the Sharepoint/S3 folder sync'd to a local laptop. Have software on the laptop that prints whatever gets added to the folder. Hopefully theres some off the shelf sub-$200 software to do this already as I'd not like to kludge together some script to do this.
-Again have a laptop running locally, but have it checking an email address. Print whatever comes as attachments to that email address to the email-provided printer name.
-Some sort of server based option, though I have similar security concerns here as IT fuckling isn't really my main gig.
-I think these copiers can be configured to face the internet but I don't want to because of security concerns.
-Something I havent thought of?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Maybe something like this?

https://www.printnode.com/en

If you're on Office 365 then you can get in on the ground floor with this, but it's very beta at the moment

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/announcing-universal-print-a-cloud-based-print-solution/ba-p/1204775

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/universal-print-concept-overview

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Ink dried out on my HP Deskjet 1510 for probably the 3rd or 4th time after about 10% usage so I just rage-purchased a Brother MFC-L2710DW based on recommendations in this thread. Hoping it works out, namaste.