Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, the boyfriend's not evil or anything but he's a completely selfish (which is hammered home by the thesis thing or how quickly he sells out his friends) and neglectful dick and that's a big part of what pushes his girlfriend to the much more comforting and sympathetic arms of that Swedish dude and the cult. Its manipulative and predatory "love" but its more than she's getting from her lovely boyfriend after she's lost everyone else.

Yeah, for sure, he's in a terrible position. But he's also not the victim and at no point does he really show any real sympathy or genuine concern for his girlfriend, or even his friends. Again for me the moment where he turned a really bad corner and went from "dude stuck in a bad situation" to "rear end in a top hat" is when he invites her along to Sweden but tells his buddies she's not going and they're just lying to her so he can avoid the difficult conversation. He's planning to straight up ghost her and its just her determination to escape her grief and his friends being more sympathetic and welcoming to her that changes that.

Your post made the one I was typing moot, but I will add that they're grad students which should put them closer to 30 in age, he should be expected to be a better partner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

dorium posted:

im pretty sure im special. I have a bubble around me at all times. someone drew a comic about it.

https://i.imgur.com/BOYTOka.jpg

Every time I see that I think back on the old pamphlet books pet stores used to carry about the care and feeding of your pet.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
look at this dope rear end horror movie coming out in the states tomorrow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1gfk8e_WhM

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Unfriended 1 was absolutely a ghost, how else did that one guy shoot himself

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Ghosts are just brain hackers, maaaan

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

look at this dope rear end horror movie coming out in the states tomorrow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1gfk8e_WhM

Can confirm, that indeed looks dope. The tone of that trailer didn't really feel like horror to me, though.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm sad to report that Monstrum, the 16th century Korean monster movie on Shudder, is not very good, and also not very bad unfortunately. The inconsistent stylistic execution is extremely grating and kept taking me right out of the movie.
It's not a huge waste of time either, so whatever.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

married but discreet posted:

I'm sad to report that Monstrum, the 16th century Korean monster movie on Shudder, is not very good, and also not very bad unfortunately. The inconsistent stylistic execution is extremely grating and kept taking me right out of the movie.
It's not a huge waste of time either, so whatever.

Monster movie?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

Monster movie?

Seems to be a Brotherhood of the Wolf setup.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

STAC Goat posted:

I think the only person REALLY unlikable in Midsommar is the boyfriend because he's just kind of a douche. That other rear end in a top hat friend is annoying but seems kind of harmless. And like, Florence Pugh's character at most was kind of neurotic and that's only a thing for like the first 5 minutes of the film and then if you're not sympathetic to her issues I don't know what to say.

I hate Unfriended. I'll own that. Maybe not "hate" but I definitely don't like it and I've seen it twice. Some of its just plain boring. I don't actually want to watch someone scroll through Facebook or their computer and the movie spends a lot of time just doing stuff like that. Interesting idea, boring execution. Another problem I have is that the film really cheats on its whole premise of "a ghost killing people from the internet." Like whenever it comes time for someone to die the movie makers clearly didn't have an idea of how to make the ghost able to do it physically so instead they just cut away. Which feels lame when that's like the premise of the movie. And yeah, I though the characters were too lovely. Not "unlikeable", like just terrible shithead monsters. And I don't actually enjoy revenge films or cheering for the monster so it doesn't work for me at all. Maybe if you do like that stuff it works better because you want to see those kids die. But that's not my thing.

That's me. I'm not into the nihlism or kill fests or sadism or whatever. It doesn't bother me that some horror films will go "lol, poser" because there's always been horror fans like that just like there's always been non-horror fans who assume that because I like horror I must be into that stuff. I'm just not, and horror has a LOT of stuff that isn't that stuff. Sometimes if something is good I enjoy it anyway just like I don't love on genres of music but a good song is a good song. But if I'm gonna get into a movie that's all about making people suffer you're gonna have to work for it.

I guess what I don't get is...what horror isn't about making people suffer? Even if folks don't die, there's gonna be bad stuff happening. That's like the central premise of horror. It's basically People Gonna Suffer: the genre.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

are the Waxwork movies worth checking out?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://medium.com/@coinoperatedboy28/horror-has-a-leadership-problem-c6211ac6b46b

Insane. Fred Williamson harassing make up artists and Caroline Williams being racist on twitter are.

Also joe bob sucks rear end. gently caress that old rear end

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

dorium posted:

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Definitely yes.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
The drive in theater in my town just opened back up and I'm going to see The Boy 2 there tomorrow, so I watched The Boy tonight since I hadn't seen it.

What the gently caress? It's an incredible movie. I'm legitimately angry that I didn't see it in theaters and that no one told me it was incredible.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Unfriended is good, Unfriended 2 is not bad

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/327119/horror-producer-adam-donaghey-charged-with-sexual-assault-of-minor/

ahhhhhh yikes

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I am not going to lie, I saw this headline and my brain crossed some wires.

I fused Adam Wingard and Michael Dougherty into a man named Adam Dougherty and went "Wait is that, no"

(Mostly because they're both directors of the newest Godzilla movies so their names have been bouncing in the back of my mind for a while. Also Krampus is great and Death Note is the best horror movie of the last decade)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

it was adam scott

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

dorium posted:

Yeah they are both super fun. People don't seem to like the second one as much as the first but I thought it was great in a fun and goofy way. It has a segment starring Bruce Campbell that's a riff on The Haunting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zEfgkNx4xI

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

M_Sinistrari posted:

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Definitely yes.

YES!

gey muckle mowser posted:

Yeah they are both super fun. People don't seem to like the second one as much as the first but I thought it was great in a fun and goofy way. It has a segment starring Bruce Campbell that's a riff on The Haunting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zEfgkNx4xI

Well now its a double YES YES!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Waxwork 2 is really, really bad compared to the absolutely phenomenal Waxwork 1, but it has its moments. Just watch 2 first.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Coffee And Pie posted:

Unfriended 1 was absolutely a ghost, how else did that one guy shoot himself

He was waving a gun around while drunk, so that's pretty straightforward!

In the other cases, there's really nothing that couldn't have been done by a handful of home intruders. It's much more likely: the 'ghost' manifests a webcam, adds impact font to a screencap, etc.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hackers, unlike ghosts, don't exist

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Man, I'm glad this conversation happened if only to hear the hot take of "no, it wasn't a ghost story it was actually a story about an intricate web of hackers and serial killers that was never mentioned or hinted at and doesn't actually fit with what was shown."

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

He was waving a gun around while drunk, so that's pretty straightforward!

In the other cases, there's really nothing that couldn't have been done by a handful of home intruders. It's much more likely: the 'ghost' manifests a webcam, adds impact font to a screencap, etc.

So, while drunk, he slowly turned the gun on himself WHILE screaming no and shot himself?

I'm usually for SMG hot takes on movies, but this is like fundamentally wrong, there is literally no support for this theory at all.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i didnt think this thread could sink any lower but here we are talking about unfriended in 2020...

you IDIOTS it was CLEARLY a ghost

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The real question is why are you posers talking about Unfriended instead of the superior Ghost In the Machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2HPq-WDnFQ

E: Is Shocker a ghost in the machine too? He gets sucked into the prison tv by the devil’s sexy lips.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

OpenSourceBurger posted:

So, while drunk, he slowly turned the gun on himself WHILE screaming no and shot himself?

I'm usually for SMG hot takes on movies, but this is like fundamentally wrong, there is literally no support for this theory at all.

I was having a good chuckle about the Annihilation derail a few pages back because somehow we were suddenly in a mirror universe where SMG of all people was the one criticizing someone for "ignoring the diegesis to push a silly reading". Good to see the natural order has been restored.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
"Guys I mean literally all of the in-text evidence supports the popular interpretation of the events of the movie, but have you ever considered that the exact opposite is true?!"

VV That wasn't about Unfriended, it was just a template for everything SMG posts.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 16, 2020

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

King Vidiot posted:

"Guys I mean literally all of the in-text evidence supports the popular interpretation of the events of the movie, but have you ever considered that the exact opposite is true?!"

Didn’t you literally just post that you haven’t seen the movie lol

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
mindhacked so hard i shove my arm into a blender

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The salsa thing is such a flimsy excuse for having a blender in his room that I kinda admire it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

OpenSourceBurger posted:

You're forgetting the context of the "no".

Adam (the character who's drunk and waving a gun around) has, at that point, admitted to raping a woman - and he has been harshly rejected by Blaire (the protagonist, who he has a thing for). Like, in order to protect her current relationship to the jealous Mitch, Blaire literally holds up a message instructing the unseen antagonist(s) to kill Adam.

The Adam character is not accidentally characterized as drunk, violent, unstable, and ultimately dangerous to himself. Likewise, it's not accidental that his death is presented as a suicide that precisely coincides with his love interest declaring him dead to her.

It's just eliminating the impossible. Either there's a ghost with a wifi connection and eyes that function as webcams, or the guy shot himself after a very bad day. If you accept the former, then you're going to have to explain why the omnipotent ghost with mind-control powers is choosing to act exactly as if the hackers from Dark Web were tricking a dumb guy into killing himself.

Of course, Adam very much believes in the ghost, and therefore believes that he's moments from being tortured to death. So, in that sense, he is killed by a ghost. I'm just saying that the ghost isn't an AI with electricity powers. It's a more plausible dark spirit conjured by the offcreen characters from the dead girl's friends list.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 16, 2020

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
You, sir, are an insane person.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Coffee And Pie posted:

You, sir, are an insane person.

Forget it, Jake, it’s SMG-town.

In other news, Arrow is releasing a collection of 10 Shinya Tsukamoto films later this month. Solid Metal Nightmares includes:

quote:

Tetsuo: The Iron Man
Tetsuo II: Body Hammer
Tokyo Fist
Bullet Ballet
A Snake of June
Vital
Kotoko
Killing
The Adventure of Denchu-Kozo
Haze

As well as a bunch of extra material. I’m stoked.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
AaaaaaAAAAAA

I love Tetsuo SO MUCH

$65 is a solid price for 10 movies but I don't have a Blu Ray player :cry:

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 16, 2020

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

aware of dog posted:

Forget it, Jake, it’s SMG-town.

In other news, Arrow is releasing a collection of 10 Shinya Tsukamoto films later this month. Solid Metal Nightmares includes:

As well as a bunch of extra material. I’m stoked.

woah this is an insta buy for me can i preorder :o

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

I don't have a working Blu Ray player can I come over and watch it

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Kvlt! posted:

You sure can! A bit bummed that the third Tetsuo movie isn’t included but still an absolute must-have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

I don't have a working Blu Ray player can I come over and watch it

yah, bring the duster