Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
For fun, I recreated the chart and discovered that you have to go out of your way to make a second x-axis. It was done on purpose:

Made a slightly less lovely version:

Dr. Arbitrary has a new favorite as of 21:42 on May 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Platystemon posted:

Now exclude New York and show the graph. :thunk:

Already done, by this guy: https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them

quote:

As a simple example of the USA trend, when you take out the data from New York and just look at the rest of the USA, daily case numbers are increasing.
Bottom line: the only reason the total USA new case numbers look flat right now is because the New York City epidemic was so large and now it is being contained.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Only looking at deaths (since I had excel open and why not?)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://twitter.com/tarenceray/status/1261082214223286272

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

You dense motherfuckers.

The z shape is a physical impossibility.

This is not a paper problem. Real human lives, and real economic value, are being destroyed by this disease.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
econony go swoosh

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

These guys really just need to learn to take the L

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I shaped

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

5 out of the 6 scenarios get back to the exact same trajectory economy which means (????????)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spoeank posted:

5 out of the 6 scenarios get back to the exact same trajectory economy which means (????????)

Economists generally seem to believe that "The Economy" is a wholly independent entity that is unaffected by human factors. Things like mass unemployment make the GDP go down because The Economy just doesn't like high unemployment, not because there are fewer people making stuff. So you know, a few hundred thousand hospitalizations/deaths from COVID shouldn't affect anything, after all when has The Economy ever cared about people getting sick before?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Spoeank posted:

Number go up!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You’ve got to love how in every scenario, the economy is imagined to return to the same unstoppable rate of growth, and in five of the six they intercept the slope as if nothing had ever happened.

Ask Ireland how the recovery from the famine went.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Economists could be all "Well, the economy is currently extremely pear-shaped, and will be for a while" and be 100% correct but they just have to keep larping as a real science.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I'm inventing the V+ recovery where the post-recovery trend is better than pre-disaster

patented pending, do not styeal

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Emphasis mine:

twoday posted:

a brief history lesson:

after the Netherlands became independent, the Dutch Republic soon emerged from being a feudal possession of the Spanish to becoming a flourishing wealthy empire. Free from the system of monarchy which burdened the rest of the countries in Europe, the country soon became an oligarchy run by wealthy merchants who also ran the government, and went to work building a mighty fleet that they used to enable their imperialist expansion to every continent and all corners of the world, ruthlessly exploiting every resource they came across for the sake of accumulating wealth. Not only did they invent the stock market and the concept of the corporation, but they also seamlessly integrated corporate and government interests into a single ruthless machine, and also established a global trade network which arguably played a massive part in establishing the basis for the current world order of international capitalist trade. In doing so, they rapidly accumulated unfathomable amounts of wealth, and the profits of the East India Company alone dwarf all modern ones when adjusted for inflation, and made it the most profitable company in the history of the world:

And that's just ignoring the West India Company and all of the other business which played a role in the economy. For a number of decades in the 17th century the Dutch Republic was by any measure the wealthiest nation on earth, and much of this money was invested into the armed forces and military technology, resulting in one of the most formidable armies and navies on earth, which was then used to build an exploitative global empire that drained the earth of its natural resources in the name of capital, and led to deaths of hundreds of thousands of people who stood in the way of this process. There was a period where the Dutch were pretty much the only global superpower, and not only dominated the world financially and militarily, but also created lots of scientific developments and beautiful artwork. So what happened? Why don't the Dutch still rule the world?

Well, all of this wheeling and dealing inevitably led to the Dutch becoming embroiled in numerous conflicts around the world with all of the other major powers of the day, and those decades of war (both cold and hot) drained a lot of resources and created a lot of enemies on the world stage. These wars were not only a financial burden on the nation, but also helped emphasize social divides which were already present, and generated a lot of problems in society. All of this came to a head in a single year which is now known as the 'Rampjaar' or "Disaster Year," when just about everything that could possibly go wrong went wrong. After years of conflict, the other major powers all grew to despise the Dutch Republic, and in 1672 the country was simultaneously attacked on all sides by an Alliance of the English, French, and Germans. At the same time there was a bitter civil war in the country between monarchists and Republicans which culminated in the head of state, who had ruled for almost 2 decades, and his brother who was the head of the navy (perhaps the most formidable military force on earth at that time) being dragged out into the streets, where they were lynched by a mob who ripped off their skin and ate their livers and other organs raw.

This mighty empire descended almost overnight into unimaginable chaos, with every element of society being ripped apart along its weakest seams. There is a phrase from this time which describes the state of the nation - "radeloos, redeloos, reddeloos," which translates into something like "without leadership, without reason, and without possibility of salvation." Though they were able to fight off the armies which threatened to wipe them off the map, the economy was hopelessly devastated and would remain so for centuries. A leadership crisis emerged, and for the next hundred years the country was ruled by the nephews and cousins of previous rulers, who had grown up fat and wealthy and had no idea how to govern what remained of the country. While the average citizen became horribly poor and hopeless, the ineffective leaders continued to live in mansions and eat off of silver plates, and they turned to increasingly nefarious tactics to prop up their economy. They magnified the slave trade a thousand fold, and started using increasingly brutal tactics to retain control over their colonies, which were taken away from them by their enemies one by one. They invested in pet projects and other tremendous wastes of money which did little to help the country or its economy. For instance, the remaining few Dutch of this period who still had some wealth spent a lot of it financing the rebels in America in the late 1700's, largely out of spite against their ancient enemies, the British. But it didn't help, of course. They were invaded by the French and Germans (and English and even Russian armies at some point), and the nation continued along its disastrous trajectory, leading to revolution, invasion, poverty, and death. Lots of death. Many such horrors. The reason why so many Dutch cities have charming 17th century buildings which attract tourists today is that they never recovered economically from the Disaster Year until relatively recently, and for hundreds of years there was little money around for new building projects, and everyone just had to continue living in the houses which were built way back when during "the Golden Age."

So what's the point of this story? There was once a global superpower which was wealthier than any other in history, with a massive and powerful army which it used to terrorize the world, as well as form much of the global capitalist economic system which surrounds us today. But then one day disaster struck and the chickens came home to roost, and it all fell apart overnight. Poof. That's all it takes. And there's a good chance that anyone who is reading this post didn't know any of this. That entire empire so thoroughly destroyed and forgotten (and good riddance), that now, 350 years later very few people in the world know that it ever happened.

The moral of the story is that no matter how wealthy, how powerful the empire which you inhabit is, it is ultimately nothing within the grand scheme of history. Your entire world can just collapse one day, and then a few hundred years later barely anyone alive will know anything about it. Everything which surrounds you and all that you know is ultimately just an insignificant blip on the radar of human progress that can and will be forgotten. All it takes is one strong shock which tears everything apart. And that's what we are witnessing happening in much of the Western world right now. So good luck to everyone with all of that.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
So what you're saying is we're all be speaking Dutch soon?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I think they are saying we should learn how to grow flowers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m saying the map will soon look like this:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Many people are eating my liver and internal organs and ripping off my skin. Many such cases. It's the worst ever.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

iirc the Dutch also just killed the entire population of several Indonesian islands at one point, because it was easier to just replace the population of spice plantations with slaves than it was to try to negotiate with local residents. Thousands of people killed for the sake of nutmeg.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They tried extirpating the plants, too.

Every clove tree outside of V.O.C. plantations was put to the axe, save one. They missed a tree high in the clouds of Ternate, a specimen today known as “Afo”. Afo’s children broke the Dutch monopoly on the spice. Afo sprouted, near as anyone can tell, at the same time as the V.O.C.. She has now outlived them by two centuries.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 09:49 on May 15, 2020

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
When everything is the Netherlands, nothing is really the nether lands.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
The Nether lands are getting an update in a month or so.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1260991789206470658

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Platystemon posted:

Now exclude New York and show the graph. :thunk:

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1260979939005861888

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I wonder what's the reason for Russia's infection numbers. They've had constant ~10,000 new cases/day with very little variance for two weeks now.

Their fatalities are very low and probably bullshit, but that's as expected.

e. oh, this wasn't corona thread. Whatevs.

Kennel has a new favorite as of 13:16 on May 15, 2020

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

https://twitter.com/badecontakes/status/1259712443720192000?s=21

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Platystemon posted:

You dense motherfuckers.

The z shape is a physical impossibility.

This is not a paper problem. Real human lives, and real economic value, are being destroyed by this disease.
You could have something like a z curve, especially for/following a capital destroying disaster response but it needs a downturn before return to normal. It would be bringing our resources to bear to address the problem but reaching beyond our ability to sustain and there would be human capital and industrial capital burnout.

Spoeank posted:

If the capitalist pyramid scheme ends they're gonna be out of a job so no need to be embarrassed for missing such a scenario.

taqueso posted:

I'm inventing the V+ recovery where the post-recovery trend is better than pre-disaster

patented pending, do not styeal

This is conspicuously missing, the obnoxiously optimistic people who are like "the focus on medical research and hands off logistics mean we are going to be even more technologically advanced here when we return to normal this TO THE MOON."

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Platystemon posted:

They tried extirpating the plants, too.

Every clove tree outside of V.O.C. plantations was put to the axe, save one. They missed a tree high in the clouds of Ternate, a specimen today known as “Afo”. Afo’s children broke the Dutch monopoly on the spice. Afo sprouted, near as anyone can tell, at the same time as the V.O.C.. She has now outlived them by two centuries.

that's evil poo poo right there, i mean so is genociding island populations, though, so...

I guess what I'm thinking here is that anyone can have their reputation rehabilitated

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

That only works if you assume people were tested completely at random :argh:

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど
There's a lot going on here but after seeing it a few times my favorite point is that by their analysis, deaths continued to trend upward after the "peak".

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Zereth posted:

And if everyone is tested once only and not say a bunch of healthcare workers who have repeated virus contact!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

zedprime posted:

This is conspicuously missing, the obnoxiously optimistic people who are like "the focus on medical research and hands off logistics mean we are going to be even more technologically advanced here when we return to normal this TO THE MOON."
if this time is the one that makes us revamp our entire system in response to the crisis, we sure are going to be a lot more productive all working from home

ah, well, nevertheless

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zereth posted:

And the testing was all correct, and done in the same moment in time.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

why isnt there an "economic malpractice" concept? like if you say "go to work, its good for the economy" and then everyone dies, which turns out to be very bad for the economy. thats a direct cause->effect, clearly manslaughter

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carthag Tuek posted:

why isnt there an "economic malpractice" concept? like if you say "go to work, its good for the economy" and then everyone dies, which turns out to be very bad for the economy. thats a direct cause->effect, clearly manslaughter

Killing people, in large numbers, is entirely acceptable in our society as long as it’s done stochastically.

If I run a hydroelectric dam that fails and kills four hundred people, I may face consequences. If I run an empire of coal that will, in normal operation, will thousands of people this year, as it has for decades, that is cool and good.

If the power lines running from my hydroelectric dam had been unmaintained for decades so I could pump stock and executive dicks, I’ll probably get away scot‐free when when three towns burn , even if shoddy maintenance on my gas distribution killed a bunch of people in another county a few years earlier. The trick is that my infrastructure is bad everywhere, so really, it’s the act‐of‐God straw that broke the camel’s back, not the literal tons I had already loaded the camel with.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 01:00 on May 16, 2020

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Also they don't care because corona is extremely unlikely to kill economically valuable people. I've already heard people say that the virus will end up saving millions in social security expenses, since it's mostly retired old people that are dying.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Phlegmish posted:

Also they don't care because corona is extremely unlikely to kill economically valuable people. I've already heard people say that the virus will end up saving millions in social security expenses, since it's mostly retired old people that are dying.

The only reason a lot of public pension plans haven't completely collapsed is because a lot of the people who were going to be drawing from them died of opioids.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

zedprime posted:

A couple more pandemics and we may finally be able to fully recover from the finno-korean hyperwar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

zedprime posted:

The "This will be just like after WW2!" people. Conveniently forgetting that the only reason the US got such a big postwar boost is because none of the fighting happened on their home soil and the European recovery was very much not "V+ shaped".