Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

RDP

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Basically once I discovered Chrome Remote Desktop I stopped giving a poo poo about any and all other remote desktop solutions

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Basically once I discovered Chrome Remote Desktop I stopped giving a poo poo about any and all other remote desktop solutions
Okay, I retract my submission of RDP.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah google is definitely scraping images of me janitoring my home computers to better serve me ads but it so easy both on my home network and remotely, and they have a good mobile app that I don't give a fuuuuuuuuuuck

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Some OSs removing fortunes because there were Adolf Hitler quotes in the file.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
sounds like we need a yospos fortune database

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

still shipping cringey 80/90s unix “humor”

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

rms’ abortion joke, and endless defense thereof

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
the worst part about rms' abortion 'joke', if you can call it that, is rms

(plus it's just kinda out of place. abortion rules though)

greg the peanut
Dec 24, 2000

I have to use Citrix to access software that only works in Windows 2000. Some aspects of my job suck.

Cosa Nostra Aetate
Jan 1, 2019
Yellowdog Linux (had to use redhat and remembered what yum stands for).

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

that period of time when android phone reviewers had to include "freezer runs" in their benchmark results because the phones got so hot they throttled down

that subsequent period of time where phone manufacturers were cheating on benchmarks by selectively disabling power management when they detected certain app bundles (only benchmarks, nothing useful) were running

Nasty Old Randy
Sep 5, 2017

Im Nasty
Plasma screens.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

aren't plasma screens still the best image you can get? it's just that oled and led screens are 'close enough' and substantially cheaper

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

p sure oled is strictly better

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
having to upload PDFs in bulk on MS Teams is way more difficult with the fact that you can’t drag one folder into another, something I’ve been able to do on most computers since [squints] as a child in the early 90s.

gooood I hate how garbage the O365 suite can be for Mac.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

teen witch posted:

having to upload PDFs in bulk on MS Teams is way more difficult with the fact that you can’t drag one folder into another, something I’ve been able to do on most computers since [squints] as a child in the early 90s.

My company's Teams implementation allows me to Sync a Teams file structure to my local desktop. It shows up similar to a network drive and then I can interact with all of the files through Windows Explorer. So much of an improvement.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

teen witch posted:

microsoft still pretending in 2020 that files that aren't office docs are an edge case

also onedrive can't support files with forward slashes in the name :psyduck:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

wait. can windows do that?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

TraderStav posted:

My company's Teams implementation allows me to Sync a Teams file structure to my local desktop. It shows up similar to a network drive and then I can interact with all of the files through Windows Explorer. So much of an improvement.

Mac based environment and my office is in Stockholm and I’m she-Mac Janitor (for no extra loving pay because I’m an idiot). We used to have a solid IT admin but he asked for a COL raise and was denied, so he rightfully left. the person who took it over had very little experience even as a regular degular Mac OS user and it wasn’t his job to IT admin initially and left abruptly. I managed to fix the printer and explain “no you can’t use an .exe and don’t download poo poo you don’t know” to people so I got saddled with Mac wrangler. the actual IT head is based in Sydney and doesn’t understand that my actual position is within design and I can’t spend half a day fixing networking and firewall issues and WE NEED AN ACTUAL PERSON HERE TO DO SO, NOT VIA WHATSAPP. NOT AT 4 AM BECAUSE YOU REFUSE TO UNDERSTAND TIME ZONES.

it’s all good because the people who need those files won’t look at them and instead email me “plz send file” despite me telling them “you can download all of these at your loving leisure” over and over again.

qirex posted:

microsoft still pretending in 2020 that files that aren't office docs are an edge case

the day I learned that I swear I aged a decade in mere minutes. there are so many dumb things within the Office environment that cruises me into an early grave. YES let’s have an email search that conflicts with Spotlight indexing and not fix it for [squints] years. YESSS I love excel choking and going to the loving error hell program that INEVITABLY CHOKES AS WELL.

gently caress YOU

to be fair, this is not entirely MS’s fault as my org is draaaaggging their heels on upgrading hardware and must! download! every! update! immediately!

teen witch fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 14, 2020

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

vnc was originally made for the dumbest thing ever

http://cam-orl.co.uk/tile.html

also atm networking was pretty lol

I watched The Human Centipede and I didn’t lol @ the atm networking

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I still.........STILL think about that "Hunan centipede" post from like 8 image threads ago. Still to this day

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

qirex posted:

what can? certainly not windows, macos, or linux. looks like not vms either, which is the only other “mainstream” os I can think of that doesn’t use unix file naming. what the hell are you accessing OneDrive from?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

teams is certainly funy tech poo poo i just remembered

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Soricidus posted:

what can? certainly not windows, macos, or linux. looks like not vms either, which is the only other “mainstream” os I can think of that doesn’t use unix file naming. what the hell are you accessing OneDrive from?

macos absolutely supports slashes in file names it does not support :

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

qirex posted:

it does not support :

well??

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

:

was trying to avoid a lazy "mac colon support" joke

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PIZZA.BAT posted:

aren't plasma screens still the best image you can get? it's just that oled and led screens are 'close enough' and substantially cheaper

they were, once upon a time, the best compromise among brightness/darkness/sharpness/color, but i don't think there are any remaining manufacturers

Bloody posted:

p sure oled is strictly better

someone on this very forum pointed out that oled is so loving dim they had to add a special subcategory to the rec.2020 standard just so they could still call oled tvs "ultra hd"

oled delivers truly excellent color, and really good, deep blacks, but unless you exclusively watch tv in a windowless room with the lights turned down it's not super practical

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

someone on this very forum pointed out that oled is so loving dim they had to add a special subcategory to the rec.2020 standard just so they could still call oled tvs "ultra hd"

oled delivers truly excellent color, and really good, deep blacks, but unless you exclusively watch tv in a windowless room with the lights turned down it's not super practical

are you sure you aren't thinking of plasmas

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

hummingbird eXceed

haha poo poo we used to use that for uhhh poo poo I can't even remember now,running some ancient C GUIs I think

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

glitteringprizes

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they were, once upon a time, the best compromise among brightness/darkness/sharpness/color, but i don't think there are any remaining manufacturers

panasonic, samsung, and lg all exited the plasma market in 2014. supposedly there were a few chinese factories still putting them out and selling them in china for a couple of years after that but they're probably all done with them by now.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

ibm watson for health care

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i still have my viera zt60 plasma. not really sure what it'll take to replace it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
i managed to only ever have plasma screens and now oled. i've never purchased or had an LCD TV in my home. i've always hated LCD with a passion for TV/movie viewing. the cheapest plasma always looked better than the most expensive LCD. i would take a plasma from 2006 over an lcd from 2020 and i'm not even joking (assuming both were brand new). ive seen the most expensive LCDs in stores and they always have the shittiest viewing angles and i always notice the motion blur/response rates

i have both plasmas and an OLED now, and i would say OLED looks better, though it's not by a lot or anything. the main benefit with OLED is the lower thickness and weight of the unit.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

i found chrome remote desktop to be really bad with forwarding shortcut keys. if i press the windows key it opens up two instances of the start menu. same with CTRL+W for closing a window

i know they say allowing remote desktop outside of the network is dangerous (forwarding the RDP port) but there's some reg edit fuckery where you can limit the number of wrong password guesses to like 5 (why this isn't an easily-changable setting i have no idea) and that with a strong password should pretty much erase all risk

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 15, 2020

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

i know they say allowing remote desktop outside of the network is dangerous (forwarding the RDP port) but there's some reg edit fuckery where you can limit the number of wrong password guesses to like 5 (why this isn't an easily-changable setting i have no idea) and that with a strong password should pretty much erase all risk

how does limiting the number of password guesses protect you against the steady stream of rdp 0-days

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
teams is actively making my life worse

i loving hate that electron piss interface, god drat. microsoft can do gently caress whatever they want always, people will by their poo poo no matter what. it's infuriating

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

teams needs extreme notification janitoring to be useful, it sucks so hard

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

PCjr sidecar posted:

ibm watson for health care

rofl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

teen witch posted:

Mac based environment and my office is in Stockholm and I’m she-Mac Janitor (for no extra loving pay because I’m an idiot). We used to have a solid IT admin but he asked for a COL raise and was denied, so he rightfully left. the person who took it over had very little experience even as a regular degular Mac OS user and it wasn’t his job to IT admin initially and left abruptly. I managed to fix the printer and explain “no you can’t use an .exe and don’t download poo poo you don’t know” to people so I got saddled with Mac wrangler. the actual IT head is based in Sydney and doesn’t understand that my actual position is within design and I can’t spend half a day fixing networking and firewall issues and WE NEED AN ACTUAL PERSON HERE TO DO SO, NOT VIA WHATSAPP. NOT AT 4 AM BECAUSE YOU REFUSE TO UNDERSTAND TIME ZONES.

it’s all good because the people who need those files won’t look at them and instead email me “plz send file” despite me telling them “you can download all of these at your loving leisure” over and over again.

the day I learned that I swear I aged a decade in mere minutes. there are so many dumb things within the Office environment that cruises me into an early grave. YES let’s have an email search that conflicts with Spotlight indexing and not fix it for [squints] years. YESSS I love excel choking and going to the loving error hell program that INEVITABLY CHOKES AS WELL.

gently caress YOU

to be fair, this is not entirely MS’s fault as my org is draaaaggging their heels on upgrading hardware and must! download! every! update! immediately!

please go to the interviewing thread immediately