Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Stinking up the place and potentially causing long-term health complications?

If a girl sucks him he gets smaller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Trying out a bunch of games since I got a cheap PSNow membership, I expected to give Shadow of the Beast a quick pass but honestly? Kinda liking it.
It's a nicely small-scale game that does a good job at capturing the classic art style of the old Amiga game, with a lot of small touches to the design that really sell it. It's nice that the in-game story is all told wordlessly (at least so far), I really like that they subtitle the only real "dialogue" so far with made-up symbols that leave things just as mysterious as they would be otherwise.

e: oh poo poo, guess what you can pay gamebux to unlock in the game. Moving this into the complainey thread instead

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 02:34 on May 12, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Something I noticed while playing The Saboteur recently is that every problem you can have, theres a way to solve it by killing a ton of nazis.

Out of gear? Press Y to kill a nazi.
Need a car? Shoot in the air, wait a sec, kill the ensuing nazis.
Need money? Kill nazis. More volume = more money.
Too many nazis? Drive to a fight back point and kill nazis until they go away.

Theres no situation you cant kill enough nazis to get out of, and I consider that a very real triumph of game design. The world needs a Saboteur remaster.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like how infantile "Until they go away" sounds. Like they just go "OK, OK, we get the point, we're leaving... Geez"

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I picked up Sundered: Enhanced Edition in the latest steam sale and it's really fun little metroidvania.

All of the models, animations and backdrops are hand-drawn (some of the enemies even have pencil lines you can see when they explode or do certain attacks). The skill tree works like the sphere grid or Path of Exile's huge wandering tree, and you can spec in a bunch of different ways.

I mostly just like the animation though, everything looks so great and charming.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I like how infantile "Until they go away" sounds. Like they just go "OK, OK, we get the point, we're leaving... Geez"
Worked in Stalingrad.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
In Doom Eternal if your gun is out of ammo it will hang there all limp and sad.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Danaru posted:

Something I noticed while playing The Saboteur recently is that every problem you can have, theres a way to solve it by killing a ton of nazis.

Out of gear? Press Y to kill a nazi.
Need a car? Shoot in the air, wait a sec, kill the ensuing nazis.
Need money? Kill nazis. More volume = more money.
Too many nazis? Drive to a fight back point and kill nazis until they go away.

Theres no situation you cant kill enough nazis to get out of, and I consider that a very real triumph of game design. The world needs a Saboteur remaster.

No game has ever used colour to such a wonderful extent. Killing Nazis is good fun too.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Skeleton War 2020
When I become a billionaire, I'm going to buy the rights to The Saboteur and rerelease it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Trying out Mafia III today, I don't have a feel for the game overall yet but I am really loving its story conceit of presenting itself as a documentary from after the fact- occasionally switching from regular story cutscenes to faux interviews and a historian talking about the characters and background. I have no idea if that's the thing for this series or if it's new for this game, but that is a super good framing device that feels more interesting than just about anything else in its genre.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The bits where the CIA guy is being interviewed by Congress were great, and a good way to see the protagonist from the outside.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

The bits where the CIA guy is being interviewed by Congress were great, and a good way to see the protagonist from the outside.

Also the conclusion to that whole story is pretty great.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Something else I'm really liking on the mechanics side is the bullet time mechanic while driving, you have a recharging meter that you can activate for slow motion and way more responsive maneuvering. It really helps in tight situations and I'm not sure I've seen that before, do any other games use something like that?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Franklin in GTA V had that as his unique character ability.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Franklin in GTA V had that as his unique character ability.

I wondered if GTA had done that, to be honest I've had that one installed for years and haven't done much besides the intro. I've been thinking about giving it another try for a while.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

Trying out Mafia III today, I don't have a feel for the game overall yet but I am really loving its story conceit of presenting itself as a documentary from after the fact- occasionally switching from regular story cutscenes to faux interviews and a historian talking about the characters and background. I have no idea if that's the thing for this series or if it's new for this game, but that is a super good framing device that feels more interesting than just about anything else in its genre.

It is, and its unflinching stuff about racism is pretty cool. It’s not just having people kick you out of stores for being black, but a bunch of characters are condescending as gently caress because of Lincoln’s color. Yeah, you shoot up the KKK, and that rules, but there’s so many ways it presents racism as something that’s deeper seated than a bunch of people wearing hoods and robes that I really like.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It is, and its unflinching stuff about racism is pretty cool. It’s not just having people kick you out of stores for being black, but a bunch of characters are condescending as gently caress because of Lincoln’s color. Yeah, you shoot up the KKK, and that rules, but there’s so many ways it presents racism as something that’s deeper seated than a bunch of people wearing hoods and robes that I really like.

I am coming around on the racism part. I had a knee-jerk reaction at first that it was just the generic Rockstar/Tarantino :jerkbag: style, but it seems like it's a lot more thoughtful with something to say, as far as that goes in a shootymans game.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

I am coming around on the racism part. I had a knee-jerk reaction at first that it was just the generic Rockstar/Tarantino :jerkbag: style, but it seems like it's a lot more thoughtful with something to say, as far as that goes in a shootymans game.

I had the same reaction at first, they introduce it really weird with the racist security guy that shouts “BLARGH IM SO EVIL AND DUMB AND RACIST” and then gets brutally murdered in a weird over-the-top way in the first 5 minutes. But that’s the only moment in the game like that, it’s handled really well otherwise

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

I wondered if GTA had done that, to be honest I've had that one installed for years and haven't done much besides the intro. I've been thinking about giving it another try for a while.
It's good but you really have to be prepared to take the story and characters at face value rather than try to put your own spin on them or do PS2-era general mayhem. And I recommend you don't bother much with the side content and collectibles.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Cops also respond faster depending on where crimes are commited in the city.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Something else I'm really liking on the mechanics side is the bullet time mechanic while driving, you have a recharging meter that you can activate for slow motion and way more responsive maneuvering. It really helps in tight situations and I'm not sure I've seen that before, do any other games use something like that?

Pretty sure True Crime (streets of LA?) had a bullet time button that you could use while driving, but was not exclusive to driving. I think it was mostly used for shooting while driving.

Samovar posted:

Cops also respond faster depending on where crimes are commited in the city.

I seem to recall the there was a rumor going around when GTA5 was first released that if you did crime as Franklin, cops would respond faster and more often than if you did the same crime in the same neighborhood as the other characters. Game Theory did a vid on it I think.
ED: Found it, interesting take- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXpfsYiG8Dc

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Make-A-Wish set up a Total War fan to visit Creative Assembly a while back, and they let him design a character for Total War: Warhammer 2, Alastar the White Lion. He’s mostly the standard High Elf Prince that you can recruit to lead an army, with the same skill tree and mount options, but has a unique model and a couple traits based around the White Lion infantry.

An upcoming DLC expands the High Elf roster. One of these new units is the White Lion Chariot, pulled by the actual lions from which the infantry take their name. It’s not out yet, but several streamers have access and have gone through everything. They found that they made sure to go back to our boy Alastar and add the White Lion Chariot as a unique mount option for him :3:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Props to the Subnautica devs for making the small fish give a very satisfying BONK when they hit your Seamoth

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I can't decide whether or not it bothers me, or really tickles me, that Mortal Kombat 11 includes more or less fully realized fighters from previous MK games as NPC opponents in its story mode.

On one hand, that's a lot of effort they didn't have to go into, they basically make most of a character solely for the purposes of having you fight them once or twice in story mode; far as I understand, I think all they're missing are Fatal Blows, Fatalities, and intros/outros. That's impressive... but in practice, the main thing it does is make me sad I can't play as Sektor.

But it turns out the reason Sektor's out for this one is probably because they gave a bunch of his kit to loving Robocop, so I can't even be mad.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Just want to mention that Control is 50% off on PC as of today from the Epic Games Store but you also get a £10 (I assume this will be a $10 coupon for Americans) for buying and installing anything even if it's free.

The free game this month on the Epic store is GTAV which I beat back in the day on Xbox 360 but haven't looked at since. I "bought" GTAV and it gave me the coupon for £10 off making Control £13.99. Between the two I've got a lot of gaming this month for very little money and I've heard so many good things about Control in this thread. I've also heard what a shitshow GTAV online is so I'm kinda morbidly curious to take a look without needing to buy Xbox gold and a new copy.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

You get the coupon just for logging in, you don't even need to claim GTA. I think it's the same as last time where you get another coupon every time you use it, so you can chain it and get a lot of great games for very little money.

I'm trying to find anything that wasn't out/eligible last time because I think I claimed everything I was interested in then lol

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm trying again on Worlds of Final Fantasy as I never beat it (got stuck at final boss/true ending prep) and I like the optional fights via the Tearoom that give the side-characters fuller stories, like Princess Sarah allying with the Goblin Princess and the Ice Sanctuary hiring the Undead Princess and their antics. I also like the interesting characterisation, like the Warrior or Light can't help sacrifice his own happiness because he's obsessed with propriety, like he keeps claiming his love is for his kingdom instead of admitting he's in love with Sarah because he can't admit that his actions are in any way selfish even if it's a noble selfishness like being in love with someone. He has to be self-sacrificing at all times because that's what he thinks a knight is.

also there are some cute adult-ish jokes like a sex life pun with the undead princess: "All I have anymore is this undying grudge, which is great for my hex life... but sometimes the magic is just not there, you know?"

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Ah good to know. I only saw the coupon notification when I claimed GTAV so I figured it was linked to purchases since I indeed got another one as soon as I bought Control.

(My favourite little thing so far is that the Control download is only 26.4GB which is as blessing since I'm getting a "due to high demand, bandwidth in your region is temporarily limited" message)

E: this was a reply to LunchmeatLarry

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I’ve been playing some older Steam games lately, specifically two CRPGs: Underrail and Voidspire Tactics. Going from the first to the latter highlighted so many QoL differences that I feel compelled to share.

Underrail is a very systems-heavy game (like Fallout 1 and 2) so imagine my delight when Voidspire Tactics has the following:

No morality system that prevents theft.
No skill checks to pick locks.
The ability to take items from a store’s countertop and sell it back to the owner.
No crafting skills; crafting is done by putting a reusable blueprint and 1 material on an anvil.
No encumbrance.
Nesting inventory storage (small bags inside medium bags inside big bags).

That’s just the exploration stuff. The class system is a real cherry on top a refreshingly player-friendly experience.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Kennel posted:

hee hee hee

I told you before, Lara,and I'll say it again: Logan Paul is not a rolemodel.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Cleretic posted:

I can't decide whether or not it bothers me, or really tickles me, that Mortal Kombat 11 includes more or less fully realized fighters from previous MK games as NPC opponents in its story mode.

On one hand, that's a lot of effort they didn't have to go into, they basically make most of a character solely for the purposes of having you fight them once or twice in story mode; far as I understand, I think all they're missing are Fatal Blows, Fatalities, and intros/outros. That's impressive... but in practice, the main thing it does is make me sad I can't play as Sektor.

But it turns out the reason Sektor's out for this one is probably because they gave a bunch of his kit to loving Robocop, so I can't even be mad.

I don’t pay much attention to Mk,have they made the - Robocop Vs Terminator comic - look, an option?
Still have those comics in mint condition,as well as the little cardboard cutouts in between pages.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

I’ve been playing some older Steam games lately, specifically two CRPGs: Underrail and Voidspire Tactics. Going from the first to the latter highlighted so many QoL differences that I feel compelled to share.

Underrail is a very systems-heavy game (like Fallout 1 and 2) so imagine my delight when Voidspire Tactics has the following:

No morality system that prevents theft.
No skill checks to pick locks.
The ability to take items from a store’s countertop and sell it back to the owner.
No crafting skills; crafting is done by putting a reusable blueprint and 1 material on an anvil.
No encumbrance.
Nesting inventory storage (small bags inside medium bags inside big bags).

That’s just the exploration stuff. The class system is a real cherry on top a refreshingly player-friendly experience.
I finally played Voidspire Tactics recently after having it for years and it really is great. I dunno if I'd call some of that stuff QoL changes so much as just being a lighter game generally, it's not going for the same thing, but it's a really good time in any case.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I don’t pay much attention to Mk,have they made the - Robocop Vs Terminator comic - look, an option?
Still have those comics in mint condition,as well as the little cardboard cutouts in between pages.

The new DLC was just announced. I think all we have so far are two trailers, one for story and one for gameplay that just came out yesterday, so I don’t think we’ve seen the customization options yet.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dr Christmas posted:

The new DLC was just announced. I think all we have so far are two trailers, one for story and one for gameplay that just came out yesterday, so I don’t think we’ve seen the customization options yet.

One's been shown, makes Robocop look like an MK3 cyber-ninja.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I finally played Voidspire Tactics recently after having it for years and it really is great. I dunno if I'd call some of that stuff QoL changes so much as just being a lighter game generally, it's not going for the same thing, but it's a really good time in any case.

I think it was your post in another thread that prompted me to pick it out of my library. You’re right, it is a lighter game but I really appreciate that lightness.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

LawfulWaffle posted:

I think it was your post in another thread that prompted me to pick it out of my library. You’re right, it is a lighter game but I really appreciate that lightness.

Voidspire Tactics is like a demake of Divinity: Original Sin 2

(mixed with a healthy dollop of FF Tactics, of course)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I think the QoL difference was in relation to Undertail which is uh... not so great shakes at that part.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

jojoinnit posted:

Just want to mention that Control is 50% off on PC as of today from the Epic Games Store but you also get a £10 (I assume this will be a $10 coupon for Americans) for buying and installing anything even if it's free.

The free game this month on the Epic store is GTAV which I beat back in the day on Xbox 360 but haven't looked at since. I "bought" GTAV and it gave me the coupon for £10 off making Control £13.99. Between the two I've got a lot of gaming this month for very little money and I've heard so many good things about Control in this thread. I've also heard what a shitshow GTAV online is so I'm kinda morbidly curious to take a look without needing to buy Xbox gold and a new copy.

Thanks for the info about the coupon, I'm gonna check that out.

And gta v online isn't bad a such, it's just blatantly designed in a way that will keep you doing missions over and over and over so you get the fun cars and activities. I remember trying to play it legitimately for a bit and just stopping in disgust when I accidently paid 250k (about an hour of doing missions) just to change the name of my ingame company. I used cheats after that.

It's fine but very grindy .

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Do you no longer get banned for cheating online cash because of so I’d play it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kitfox88 posted:

Do you no longer get banned for cheating online cash because of so I’d play it again
Haha that's the one thing you reliably DO get banned for.

Don't mess with their revenue streams. But if you just want to make everyone in your session explode, you might get away with it for ages :v: