Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LaughingWallaby
Mar 29, 2020

Canuck-Errant posted:

Whoop, my bad. I looked at mine closer and they're definitely different :downs:

Yeah, i'm pretty sure they're different too since otherwise i could just use a Corne MX PCB i have lying around here at home.

The Planck Light looks really neat though...its almost exactly what I'm looking for, and I like that its probably ARM-based, rather than using a Arduino like most of the kits do. I'll request that in case Massdrop stocks them again in the future.

I found a nice 40% Plaid keyboard kit that offers Kailh Choc support, but unfortunately it doesn't seem like they're delivering to the US during the COVID outbreak. Sadness.

LaughingWallaby fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Anyone tried the Logitech MX Keys? I was a mechanical keyboard hardo till I got the Lenovo wireless keyboard, which I love, and I'm wondering if this is any good. I'm mostly looking for something for my senior citizen dad, who must learn to type.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is there a big difference in quality of stabilizers? About the only thing I know is I'm going to need a set of PCB-mount stabs.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

LuckyCat posted:

Is there a big difference in quality of stabilizers? About the only thing I know is I'm going to need a set of PCB-mount stabs.

Yes, but it's more something you notice if you've used the better quality ones before. Real Cherry stabilizers have good manufacturing tolerances so they aren't rattly. (people opt to clip a bit of its plastic though to make it feel snappier). The cheaper Chinese clone stabilizers have worse tolerances and are often rattly.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
What's the thread's consensus on the Keychron brand? I was thinking about pre-ordering their new K8 with a plate mount when it is available.

https://www.keychron.com/pages/keychron-k8-wireless-mechanical-keyboard

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

What's the thread's consensus on the Keychron brand? I was thinking about pre-ordering their new K8 with a plate mount when it is available.

https://www.keychron.com/pages/keychron-k8-wireless-mechanical-keyboard

I have the k2 and k4. Love them both. Sturdy construction and enough bells and whistles that it’ll work on any setup I plug it into.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
What 75% keyboards with full tkl keys or at least with home/pgup/pgdown/end on the right and full size f1-f12 are out there?

I ordered a keycool84 and the case was warped so it wobbled everytime I pressed backspace and leveling the lower corner didn't fix it due to how warped it was. The seller has no more in stock so is just refunding.

Vortext rac3 is a no-go because the f# keys are tiny, top most row is missing some keys, and overall it misses the entire point of a 75%.

Akko 3084 seems okay and I might order it, but all of the ones in stock ship from Hong Kong or Taiwan. Which is normally fine, but pandemic shipping from that region is massively impacted. There have also been similar QA issues with it to what I had with the keycool84. From pictures, it looks like the non-slip rubber feet suck so that's another $10 from ebay to order good material for feet and more of my time to modify it. Its wireless implementation also sucks, but I am going to use it wired so don't care.

I'm open to kits because I have some gateron silent browns sitting around I've been meaning to solder into something and desoldering is time consuming and tedious. Everything I found seems sold out. kbd75 v1 might be good but it looks like home/pgdown position is not there and some useless keys are instead. It's also always sold out :(

After actually trying 75% I want to switch to it now. Nothing about it annoyed me, and it's really easy to press the f# keys/pgup/pgdown/home/end quickly while typing or gaming.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 13, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

onesixtwo posted:

I have the k2 and k4. Love them both. Sturdy construction and enough bells and whistles that it’ll work on any setup I plug it into.

Thanks. I'll snag the K8 when it drops.

What about 40%'ers?
Did a decent bluetooth one ever see the light of day? I'd snag a Planck (or even a mini van) if it had bluetooth, in a heartbeat.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My ergodox was just delivered so I’m about to spend a ton of time setting it up :3:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

this has primarily revealed that i always press b with my right index instead of my left and i use my left index for c and my left middle for x

rip my 90wpm typing speed for a while

Khorne
May 1, 2002

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

this has primarily revealed that i always press b with my right index instead of my left and i use my left index for c and my left middle for x

rip my 90wpm typing speed for a while
That's all pretty normal. The optimal way to type, ignoring steno, involves using multiple fingers for each key depending on letter combinations in the word, what you just typed, and what's coming next.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I'm kinda miffed that the ergodox ez came with non-homerow f/j caps but failed to include t/n homerow caps

anyone know of a two-keycap set that has homerow nubs for t/n? i was thinking about starting colemak now while my typing speed is halved

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I'm kinda miffed that the ergodox ez came with non-homerow f/j caps but failed to include t/n homerow caps

anyone know of a two-keycap set that has homerow nubs for t/n? i was thinking about starting colemak now while my typing speed is halved

ABS caps? Probably WASD printed singles. Don't know what the keycap profile on the EZ is though. Pimpmykeyboard has homing and EZ sets for some of their caps. Otherwise check massdrop, group buys, or maybe even aliexpress?

Custom keycaps are both a pain and a big hit to the wallet. You may just want to learn to touch type and save yourself a lot of money (nothing cheaper/easier than blank keycaps).

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

AbsoluteLlama posted:

ABS caps? Probably WASD printed singles. Don't know what the keycap profile on the EZ is though. Pimpmykeyboard has homing and EZ sets for some of their caps. Otherwise check massdrop, group buys, or maybe even aliexpress?

Custom keycaps are both a pain and a big hit to the wallet. You may just want to learn to touch type and save yourself a lot of money (nothing cheaper/easier than blank keycaps).

I thought type but heavily rely on the homing nubs on f/j

Unless I don’t actually know what touch typing is lol

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Will the nubs being on F/J in the "wrong" spots mess you up?

If not, you could consider maybe using some glue or something to create your own nubs. I remember there was a post a long time ago about a guy that drilled some holes through some keycaps and used a ball bearings for nubs.

Not sure you're into that much effort though; just throwing out alternate ideas.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Zarin posted:

Will the nubs being on F/J in the "wrong" spots mess you up?

If not, you could consider maybe using some glue or something to create your own nubs. I remember there was a post a long time ago about a guy that drilled some holes through some keycaps and used a ball bearings for nubs.

Not sure you're into that much effort though; just throwing out alternate ideas.

Yeah I guess worst case I could just do this https://pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-1-space-deep-dish-or-homing-bump-pack-of-4/

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Looking to pick up my first keyboard ever (been on a laptop or Apple keyboard my entire professional life) and have a few questions-

While I trying to do in-person research prior to the quarantine I used a friend's Corsair K70 mk2 low profile with the Speeds and loved the height and the switches, but did not like the full form factor (would like to go TKL) and the stupid-large non-detachable cable.

Looking at something like the Ducky 1-2 Mini RGB from OP, the switch options are a bit daunting - I loved the feel of the Speeds but those don't seem to be an option. Assuming I want a short travel, feather light pressure need, and as low a profile as switch as possible is there a decent alternative?

I am also not sure how keyboard height is measured (if it is measured consistently) - something like the K70 was listed at 38mm, but I saw a few comparisons of it stacked up next to things like the HyperX Alloy Core and it's much much shorter despite the latter's official height being listed at 34.5mm. Given that everything I seem to find supports the idea that there is no standard for a 'low-profile' board, what's a good way of finding something that has a very low front edge and minimal height overall? Thanks all.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
I had this abomination made from WASD keyboards. Cherry Blues

Click clack motherfucker

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Still love me some blues.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

BabyRyoga posted:

I had this abomination made from WASD keyboards. Cherry Blues

Click clack motherfucker

Is that a set? Or custom colors + legends? It looks good

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

VostokProgram posted:

Is that a set? Or custom colors + legends? It looks good

I basically got the "V A P O R" design under the Maker Keyboards at wasdkeyboards, but colored it like a combination of the "Seaside Mac" design, and my own tweaks for the top row and a few other things.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Beluga Snail posted:

I am also not sure how keyboard height is measured (if it is measured consistently) - something like the K70 was listed at 38mm, but I saw a few comparisons of it stacked up next to things like the HyperX Alloy Core and it's much much shorter despite the latter's official height being listed at 34.5mm. Given that everything I seem to find supports the idea that there is no standard for a 'low-profile' board, what's a good way of finding something that has a very low front edge and minimal height overall? Thanks all.

i'm here to ask basically this question.

i've spent 11 years on a Logitech Illuminated K740 which is my preferred extremely minimal style, and the domes are just blowing out left and right now.

trying to find something that will mimic the experience of "low profile, low travel" without being able to physically go to a store is a bit daunting

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Crossposting from the Mac software thread:

DirtyRobot posted:

I have a question about Macs and keyboard indicator lights...

I'm thinking of ordering a custom keyboard from WASD and/or Unicomp where the legend reflects some key re-mappings I've done / want to do:.
  • With Karabiner, I've re-mapped my caps lock key as a hyper key (⌘⌥⌃⇧).

• On a new full keyboard, I'd want to re-map the num lock / clear key as something similar, but which stays active after being pressed (e.g., press it and it activates a bunch of macros in Keyboard Maestro, press it again and it de-activates those macros—still thinking on this, though).
What I'm trying to figure out are my options for the indicator lights. Namely: I'd like the caps/lock hyper key to still flash when it's pressed down, and I'd like the new num lock to indicate when it's active or not. With WASD in particular, this could be pretty cool if you have sub-legends and modified colors for the indicator lights. Red indicator light = red sub legends active. Green indicator light = green sub legends active.

Is... is there some hacky workaround to make any of this possible? In essence: re-map the keys, but trick the keyboard indicator lights into treating them as if they haven't been re-mapped.

I'm using an old bluetooth satechi keyboard with only a caps lock indicator. It works if I turn off the caps lock re-mapping in Karabiner, and I haven't figured out a way to keep the indicator working even when the key has been re-mapped. Up 'til now I haven't really cared, but for indicators that stay on/off, it'd be more important.

I have Keyboard Maestro, Karabiner, BetterTouchTool, and Alfred. I'm very very very beginner with Applescript and mostly just duct tape stuff from what I find on forums or tweak from downloaded workflows that use it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

If you get a QMK board instead of a WASD board it’s more likely possible but otherwise good luck

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It's been years since I've even thought about this, but there are linux apps that remap the KB LEDs to indicate other stuff (like HDD activity), so it seems like they must be able to be changed by the host without altering the actual key-lock state.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I still don't quite get your use case, but if you have a keyboard with QMK you can program your LEDs to pretty much do most things.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm planning my first solo build:

-KBDFans KBD67v2 MKII
-c3 Tangerine switches
-Keycaps: KAT Lucky Jade, eventually KAT Bliss (or SA Bliss if I can find a decently priced base + novelties)
-Stabs: I went with everglide
-Cable: To be determined (but probably something from Summit Cables)

Question about Lube: This is what I went with. Is that going to work okay on the tangerines? I also have dielectric grease (maybe for the stabs?)

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Touch typing means typing by feel instead of looking at the board, so in that case you can just leave the homing caps in the right spot since you don't need the legends to be correct anyway.

There's pretty much no downside to this other than greatly confusing other people that try to use your keyboard.

DirtyRobot posted:

Crossposting from the Mac software thread:

You can do a lot of stuff (including indicator light manipulation... sometimes... depending on the keyboard) from the OS, but there will always be quirks and usually additional software to run. Fun edge cases like your keyboard not behaving the same on secure desktop or the login screen.

It'd be much easier to just get a board with QMK and write your own routines. Then it will 'just work' on any computer. It's really not that hard even if you don't know programming. There are ton's of examples in the qmk users directory for inspiration.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Gunshow Poophole posted:

i'm here to ask basically this question.

i've spent 11 years on a Logitech Illuminated K740 which is my preferred extremely minimal style, and the domes are just blowing out left and right now.

trying to find something that will mimic the experience of "low profile, low travel" without being able to physically go to a store is a bit daunting

If you're looking at ordering through somewhere like Amazon, they've got a lot in the ways of scissor-switch chiclet low profile boards in their best sellers. I've seen the Artek boards recommended here once or twice and they're only around $40.

The Keychron K1 is also a very slim mechanical alternative, if you'd wanna go a sturdier route. Tecware has a Phantom L board that uses newer knockoff switches that are apparently pretty decent and is a bit cheaper, though it might be getting into the "too bulky" territory. I also don't know anything about it personally, but the iKBC Typemaster looked like a very sleek sort of thing with low profile Cherry switches in it, but it was too expensive for me to just yoink.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

speaking of qmk routines and scripting, does anyone know how to animate the backlights in such a way that each key changes to a random colour ever n seconds? either generating a hex code for the colour or randomly selecting from a palette array is fine.

(also how would i do this using oryx or at least get the raw file that isnt compiled)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Epomaker just sent me an email that they're dropping a new keeb on kickstarter at the end of the month. The "G68KS" which is apparently a bluetooth rgb hotswap in a full aluminum frame.

I'm not crazy about the shape or the profile but it ticks all the rest of the boxes for a bluetooth keyboard except battery life (1900mA).

I still think the Keychron K8 would be a better fit for me.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

speaking of qmk routines and scripting, does anyone know how to animate the backlights in such a way that each key changes to a random colour ever n seconds? either generating a hex code for the colour or randomly selecting from a palette array is fine.

(also how would i do this using oryx or at least get the raw file that isnt compiled)

https://beta.docs.qmk.fm/using-qmk/hardware-features/lighting/feature_rgblight

code:
RGBLIGHT_EFFECT_TWINKLE_LIFE 75 Adjusts how quickly each LED brightens and dims when twinkling (in animation steps)
RGBLIGHT_EFFECT_TWINKLE_PROBABILITY 1/127 Adjusts how likely each LED is to twinkle (on each animation step)
This seems like what you want I think.

I don't know poo poo about oryx configuration, but the qmk has support for the ez and it's own config. I think oryx is just a fancy clone???

https://config.qmk.fm/#/ergodox_ez/LAYOUT_ergodox

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Nondescript Van posted:

https://beta.docs.qmk.fm/using-qmk/hardware-features/lighting/feature_rgblight

code:
RGBLIGHT_EFFECT_TWINKLE_LIFE 75 Adjusts how quickly each LED brightens and dims when twinkling (in animation steps)
RGBLIGHT_EFFECT_TWINKLE_PROBABILITY 1/127 Adjusts how likely each LED is to twinkle (on each animation step)
This seems like what you want I think.

I don't know poo poo about oryx configuration, but the qmk has support for the ez and it's own config. I think oryx is just a fancy clone???

https://config.qmk.fm/#/ergodox_ez/LAYOUT_ergodox

Absolute legend, I’ll see if I missed those options in the oryx configuration then worst case see about compiling manually

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
What's the best MX Cherry keyboard to get for $100.

Is the Das Keyboard any good?

I'm looking for Cherry Brown switches.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

64bit_Dophins posted:

I got a Durgod Nebula K320 from Massdrop for like $80 shipped and loving love it.

e; actually I think it was $90. the Taurus was 80?

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 15, 2020

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

64bit_Dophins posted:

Das is a ripoff for what you get.

A nice entry level is a GMMK Compact. You can grab some Gateron Browns for ~15USD instead of overpaying for switches pre-installed and it'll be around $100 total.

The board is hot-swap so no need to solder, but you may need flush cutters to snip the switches before installing because it does not have pcb mount holes. It has cherry-style stabilizers so you can lube/band-aid mod them.

AbsoluteLlama fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 15, 2020

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

If you get a QMK board instead of a WASD board it’s more likely possible but otherwise good luck

taqueso posted:

It's been years since I've even thought about this, but there are linux apps that remap the KB LEDs to indicate other stuff (like HDD activity), so it seems like they must be able to be changed by the host without altering the actual key-lock state.

Constellation I posted:

I still don't quite get your use case, but if you have a keyboard with QMK you can program your LEDs to pretty much do most things.

AbsoluteLlama posted:

You can do a lot of stuff (including indicator light manipulation... sometimes... depending on the keyboard) from the OS, but there will always be quirks and usually additional software to run. Fun edge cases like your keyboard not behaving the same on secure desktop or the login screen.

It'd be much easier to just get a board with QMK and write your own routines. Then it will 'just work' on any computer. It's really not that hard even if you don't know programming. There are ton's of examples in the qmk users directory for inspiration.

Thanks everyone.

This is literally my first mechanical so we’ll see just how bad I care about the indicator lights specifically to go all in with QMK too.

I’m tempted to get a wasd *now* with the custom key caps I want, and then slowly over time pick away at my dream keyboard from scratch. Otherwise, I feel like I won’t have anything for months and months. :(

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

DirtyRobot posted:

Thanks everyone.

This is literally my first mechanical so we’ll see just how bad I care about the indicator lights specifically to go all in with QMK too.

I’m tempted to get a wasd *now* with the custom key caps I want, and then slowly over time pick away at my dream keyboard from scratch. Otherwise, I feel like I won’t have anything for months and months. :(

Nothing wrong with starting simple. I've gone through 3 or 4 WASD/CODEs over the years and they're... fine. Maybe a bit overpriced but if you don't care then you don't care.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Man, now I kind of want to build some sort of "keyboard device" LED bar where all it does is indicate if Caps Lock / Num Lock / Scroll Lock? are on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It's a good starter embedded project, do it.